Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Example of Why (R) Can't Win if It's Core Base is Religion-Based

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    The rejection of science and the rejection of basic equal human rights are equivalent factors for elimination for consideration for political leadership, yes.

It should also be mentioned that the beleifs of those who adhere to creationism are not particularly friendly to human rights either.

Any moron that disavows hundreds of years of painstaking work by millions of people is unfit to ride the city bus, much less vote. Holding office is out of the question.

Why?

Because faith in one religion's word should never come at the expense of human suffering. Trying to galvanize the word of your Lord; what, to shove down my throat? I don't think so.

With Creepationism, a bunch of sequestered old ****s get to organize all the good community capital with each local church, and push this fake garbage at every conceivable point; push it deep into the mucous membranes of our kids' psyches. Using the communities spiritual resources, they cheapen the intellect of the average church goer, for, what?????

So more people will see Christianity as....help me out, here... It's like you can only hold your youth's interest in the word of god through brainwashing? These "elders" are pointing a finger at you and saying "You cannot set a Christian example for your child and community. Let us do the heavy lifting; then you can just throw a bible at them from time to time."

Laughable.

God asked me to tell you that if you go visit someone and share the Bible, in such a way that brings relief from suffering, he won't mind that you didn't listen to a bunch of false prophets.

Good thoughts.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 11-21-2012 at 01:36 AM.

All Pro
    religious people, in my personal experience, are the most hateful, judgmental and hypocritical people in the world.

They ignore science and statistics and stubbornly push their faith on everyone... and they think anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. They don't listen to argument or debate.

Teaching creationism in schools while refusing to provide HS students with sexual/reproduction education? Really?

I think they should just continue to bury their heads in the sand... they won't even see the world pass them by.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    the "American Taliban"

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post

Any moron that disavows hundreds of years of painstaking work by millions of people is unfit to ride the city bus, much less vote. Holding office is out of the question.

Why?

Because faith in one religion's word should never come at the expense of human suffering. Trying to galvanize the word of your Lord; what, to shove down my throat? I don't think so.

With Creepationism, a bunch of sequestered old ****s get to organize all the good community capital with each local church, and push this fake garbage at every conceivable point; push it deep into the mucous membranes of our kids' psyches. Using the communities spiritual resources, they cheapen the intellect of the average church goer, for, what?????

So more people will see Christianity as....help me out, here... It's like you can only hold your youth's interest in the word of god through brainwashing? These "elders" are pointing a finger at you and saying "You cannot set a Christian example for your child and community. Let us do the heavy lifting; then you can just throw a bible at them from time to time."

Laughable.

God asked me to tell you that if you go visit someone and share the Bible, in such a way that brings relief from suffering, he won't mind that you didn't listen to a bunch of false prophets.

Good thoughts.
    People equate "religious" with Jerry Falwell and such in this country. This is not the case, but many are too blind to see it. I try to lead my life thorough examples of good work. I am charitable, but there is a difference between charity and entitlements. The DNC has made religion a "wedge issue" and many smart people have taken the bait. Because someone is "religious" automatically disqualifies him or her as a candidate?

I think you are equating fundamentalism with Christianity, which are not equivalents if you look deeper. Is Joe Biden fit to be President? He is a practicing Catholic. The founding documents of this Nation mention the "Creator". And yes, good thoughts to you.

I'm not at all religious but I believe the concept of free will as it pertains to our choices is as much of a backbone of religion as it is a backbone of our democracy. I consider myself a Liberal but the concept of enlightenment without first accepting free will is really what religous freedom and freedom in general is all about.

Liberal secularists are just as likely to take my property and do with it as they wish as are religious conservatives who want me to bend my will to their godly beliefs. In either case my free will doesn't enter the equation.

Tyranny is tyranny.

Jets Insider VIP
    Because faith in one religion's word should never come at the expense of human suffering.

Very nicely put.

What I don't understand is why belief in science is somehow seen as an affront to a creators authority (Iffin there is one).

The Big Bang and biological evolution are much more complicated processes to building the universe and life than God sitting down at a bench and making everything in the universe one at a time, like assembling Ikea furniture.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 11-21-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm with Fish on this one - this pandering to ignorance, even if its "religion", will lead nowhere good.

Having said that, tying creationism to climate change is fuggin ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    None of them think it's 10k though.

Rubio should have just left it at "I'm not a scientist" and moved on.
    Rubio should have just changed to a (D). That way the media won't be reflexively trying to trap with with ordinary comments that 'ignite debate'.

Very nicely put.

What I don't understand is why belief in science is somehow seen as an affront to a creators authority (Iffin there is one).

The Big Bang and biological evolution are much more complicated processes to building the universe and life than God sitting down at a bench and making everything in the universe one at a time, like assembling Ikea furniture.
    What I don't understand is why Liberal organizations whose real goal is to take people's property and redistribute it as they see fit seem to think that attacking a person’s religious beliefs or their belief in science is relevant to how they will actually govern?

These attacks are nothing more than personality attacks and wedge issues that are intended to take the debate away from policy that actually is relevant to the electorate.

I think these ideas are crazy but I have no problem with a crazy person who can govern with sensible policies that matter being President.

That is quite superficial, simplistic and erroneous. You are not making your church proud, here. Good thoughts.
    No church for me thanks.
    Like I said there is nothing scientific about evolution its just a belief (theory) that matter turned into a single cell organism and eventually into 8.7 million species all magically with no intelligence.hahahahahahahahahahha

Just for the biggest fools to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    These attacks are nothing more than personality attacks and wedge issues that are intended to take the debate away from policy that actually is relevant to the electorate.
    I agree 100%. Here's a quote:

There’s one area where Democrats are really far ahead of Republicans right now. Science and technology, no. It’s doing this thing that Democrats failed to do in 2000, to stop George W. Bush, which is really, really early on using the left-wing Freak Show to define anyone who’s thinking of running for President, as quickly as possible, in negative terms on Twitter, on cable, on the Internet. They’re all over this Rubio thing because they want to control his image in a negative way and they did it this cycle too. They went after Romney early, it really hurt him. And they’re doing it now. And, you know, as a matter of just pure politics, it’s very effective because Rubio’s not full-time thinking about running for president. He’s out there dabbling but people on the Left will just be defining anyone who looks like they might be strong in four years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    are the most hateful, judgmental and hypocritical people in the world.

They ignore science and statistics and stubbornly push their faith on everyone... and they think anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. They don't listen to argument or debate.
    sounds like an accurate description of libs on a variety of subjects, most notably, global warming and its cleaned up offspring, "climate change".

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I agree 100%. Here's a quote:

There’s one area where Democrats are really far ahead of Republicans right now. Science and technology, no. It’s doing this thing that Democrats failed to do in 2000, to stop George W. Bush, which is really, really early on using the left-wing Freak Show to define anyone who’s thinking of running for President, as quickly as possible, in negative terms on Twitter, on cable, on the Internet. They’re all over this Rubio thing because they want to control his image in a negative way and they did it this cycle too. They went after Romney early, it really hurt him. And they’re doing it now. And, you know, as a matter of just pure politics, it’s very effective because Rubio’s not full-time thinking about running for president. He’s out there dabbling but people on the Left will just be defining anyone who looks like they might be strong in four years.
    This whole act by both sides is about the redistribution of property by those who have political power. There is a lack of serious debate because both sides have a vested interest in big government because big is where the power is.

This is from the OP

Left-leaning blogs and sites like ThinkProgress and Huffington Post jumped on Rubio’s comments, with the Zack Beauchamp from ThingProgress writing, “To suggest we can’t know how old the Earth is, then, is to deny the validity of these scientific methods altogether — a maneuver familiar to Rubio, who also denies the reality of anthropogenic climate change.”
    Does anyone seriously believe that science is what these political groups are about?

All Pro
    Yet another doofus meetup at the intersection of Liberal and Libertarian.

Liberty for all except Judeo-Christian theology followers.

Somebody created us. Man/Unbelievers didn't, you didn't. Thank God. We'd all be in your image, the mirror crack'd.

That there is definable strata and predictable order within our world and universe confirms Intelligence and a Design not wholly Random.

QED Creationism and Intelligent Design not only exist but co-exist.

When the Bible, Arthur C. Clarke version comes out or you figger out the irreducibly complex DNA code let us know.

And yes from this thread alone I am certain I am far more intelligent and learned than you unbelievers so don't trot out the hoary atheist "men of faith aren't men of science and logic" claptrap.

If you're gonna trash Rubio trash him for his soon to be unveiled unconditional amnesty views contrary to the (R) platform. If religion is a dumb gotcha question for B. Hussein, than it's a dumb question for Rubio.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 11-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    People equate "religious" with Jerry Falwell and such in this country. This is not the case, but many are too blind to see it. I try to lead my life thorough examples of good work. I am charitable, but there is a difference between charity and entitlements. The DNC has made religion a "wedge issue" and many smart people have taken the bait. Because someone is "religious" automatically disqualifies him or her as a candidate?

I think you are equating fundamentalism with Christianity, which are not equivalents if you look deeper. Is Joe Biden fit to be President? He is a practicing Catholic. The founding documents of this Nation mention the "Creator". And yes, good thoughts to you.
    Ernie thanks for a great response.

I had to watch "The Ed Show"(Pander Alert!) and I was appalled at the things being placed in my mouth (as a D/Lib/garden variety Doofus). My interest in what you are alluding to (Liberal gum flapping) is nil. i enjoy Matthews, but the whole "Reverse Limbaugh" is degrading for those attached to the DNC. The Reverse Limbaugh shows make me sad as they drag the topics out of the center, away from real issues, as if any (D/R) spin matters on our blocks. amirite?

I never said any practicing politician should step down; the Establishment Clause was put there for a reason: Not because God is suspect, but the potential for religious tryanny is very real Our very Christian forefathers put that in there, Ernie. So my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

****OPTIONAL READING******

As far as ID/Creationism, I believe it is a (very large) parable - Man was "put here"; has to figure it out and sense his "inner wisdom", all the answers are under his feet, if he will dig. The apple refers to an inner longing to rest and benefit on the backs of others, which is fatal because of the non-stop struggle just to survive another day.

And God wanted us to get it that you get paid at the END of the day.

I hope that's not too offensive.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 11-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    What I don't understand is why Liberal organizations whose real goal is to take people's property and redistribute it as they see fit seem to think that attacking a person’s religious beliefs or their belief in science is relevant to how they will actually govern?

I think these ideas are crazy but I have no problem with a crazy person who can govern with sensible policies that matter being President.
    I'm fed up!

I'm not at all religious but I believe the concept of free will as it pertains to our choices is as much of a backbone of religion as it is a backbone of our democracy. I consider myself a Liberal but the concept of enlightenment without first accepting free will is really what religous freedom and freedom in general is all about.

Liberal secularists are just as likely to take my property and do with it as they wish as are religious conservatives who want me to bend my will to their godly beliefs. In either case my free will doesn't enter the equation.

Tyranny is tyranny.
    Thak you for putting it across succinctly.

Hall Of Fame
    Very nicely put.

God would be like, "why the hell do they always make these damn allen wrenches so damn small??"

All Pro
    The idea that Dems "trapping" and "framing" Repub politicians with these questions and their managed fall out forget that you need two to tango. If dip****e throwbacks who pushed creationism and other 50's (at best) era social policies weren't ALWAYS Republicans, maybe it would be different.

The Dems are appalling for different reasons but the GOP has a monopoly on mouthbreathers who make Kenneth From 30 Rock look open-minded and wordly.

Maybe Dubya made it seem cool for Repubs to be anti-intellectual but it's cringe worthy and will help them get blown out in '16....again.

How can you bash science, it's helping paralyzed dogs walk again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20365355

Hall Of Fame

As far as ID/Creationism, I believe it is a (very large) parable - Man was "put here"; has to figure it out and sense his "inner wisdom", all the answers are under his feet, if he will dig. The apple refers to an inner longing to rest and benefit on the backs of others, which is fatal because of the non-stop struggle just to survive another day.

To my way of thinking, this is a very reasonable approach. I do believe that someone/thing created this universe. Whether or not, that being is wholly interested in each of our individual lives, I have no idea. I suspect I have enjoyed a certain amount of 'divine providence' in my life, and I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful just for existence itself. Just this opportunity to dance around, breathe in the air, and eat the sandwiches, is enough to make me appreciate what we have here.

I don't believe that any man, however, has ever written down the 'word of God'. I just don't. I simply don't think this God fellow operates that way. I don't think we're all damned without believing in certain comic books or otherwise. I just think we're here to grow. To learn. To love. The only real prayer I ever cry out to God for is that of an existence past this one. Reunion with those long lost, of course. And Peace. Because really, that's all any of us want anyway. A bunch of unscrupulous people took advantage of that natural longing in all of us and really, gave us our first governments. And there, we pissed away Peace.

In any event, I believe that God is self-evident. I believe that all we need to know about him is all around us, not in words, but works. God takes long walks with me and my dog. God pushes waves up softly on the shore. And God flashed that divine spark that eventually led to us, here, to contemplate the 'meaning' (lol) of it all. Personally, I like Speed Levitch's approach, that we're here to "experience exhilarating alienation". However the rest plays out, I intend to enjoy the sunsets, help out when I can, smoke a little weed, and have a heck of a ride.

And while I'm at it, I'll shoot the Big Guy a little Thank You now and again.

Ernie thanks for a great response.

I had to watch "The Ed Show"(Pander Alert!) and I was appalled at the things being placed in my mouth (as a D/Lib/garden variety Doofus). My interest in what you are alluding to (Liberal gum flapping) is nil. i enjoy Matthews, but the whole "Reverse Limbaugh" is degrading for those attached to the DNC. The Reverse Limbaugh shows make me sad as they drag the topics out of the center, away from real issues, as if any (D/R) spin matters on our blocks. amirite?

I never said any practicing politician should step down; the Establishment Clause was put there for a reason: Not because God is suspect, but the potential for religious tryanny is very real Our very Christian forefathers put that in there, Ernie. So my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

I meant to mention this in my prior post. The Bible is a parable, a guide to the Truth. Strive to do the right thing. Abandon gluttony and laziness. Teach a man to fish, not give him a fish.

I am glad that you have asute insight. However, many do not, and the DNC has made this a wedge issue. Good thoughts.