Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What has happened to the Jets' Special Teams?

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Nick Folk was excellent last Sunday. Tebow is whatever. His job on ST is to not be noticed. If you do notice him it's because he's missing a blocking assignment and our punt was blocked.

I could care less about Tebow not converting a fake punt. Fake Punts are always very risky if you're 4th and 2 or more you might as well just run a conventional play on 4th down.

Hmmm, very risky yet the terrible Tim Tebow has a 75% conversion rate on them.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Hmmm, very risky yet the terrible Tim Tebow has a 75% conversion rate on them.

Nice.
    You're right. We should never punt again the rest of the season just fake punt on 4th down with Teblow. Pats fans will love it.

Tebow had -6 yards total last week against the Rams? Is this Obama's fault?

You're right. We should never punt again the rest of the season just fake punt on 4th down with Teblow. Pats fans will love it.

Tebow had -6 yards total last week against the Rams? Is this Obama's fault?

Nope, I'd say a lot of the problem has to do with Sparano and his inability to design running plays or WC plays.

Nope, I'd say a lot of the problem has to do with Sparano and his inability to design running plays or WC plays.
    Yeah, all Sparano did was singelhandedly bring the WC offense back to the NFL and make it popular when he was with Miami. He obviously doesn't have anything on Demosthenes9.

Real Reason Tebow Wildcat Offense stinks: No element of surprise. Once Tebow runs on the field everyone knows exactly what we're doing either Tebow run up the middle or maybe if he feels like it one of his dink and dunk passes to a fade route. Typical wildcat formation starts out as a regular I or shotgun and has either RB or receiver shift into QB spot while QB splits wide.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 11-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No.

I just realized how dumb we are and we MIGHT actually do it again.

Yeah, all Sparano did was singelhandedly bring the WC offense back to the NFL and make it popular when he was with Miami. He obviously doesn't have anything on Demosthenes9.

Real Reason Tebow Wildcat Offense stinks: No element of surprise. Once Tebow runs on the field everyone knows exactly what we're doing either Tebow run up the middle or maybe if he feels like it one of his dink and dunk passes to a fade route. Typical wildcat formation starts out as a regular I or shotgun and has either RB or receiver shift into QB spot while QB splits wide.
    David LEE, the qb coach and Dan Henning the OC for the phins were the architects of Miami's wildcat, not Sparano's. Lee ran it at Arkansas with McFadden I believe.

Want to show us what else you don't know??

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

It is more his weapons have thinned and they really have not replaced them. All that talk last year about this is a good draft to help ST who is on ST from the draft? Tebow? Is it just me or do we still have our starting WR and what should be our starting RB returning kicks? Their BUs our starting CBs! Holder Malone? Tebow blocking what the piss is that. Yeah like these guys have nothing better to do.

I have been staring at that sig for 2 day going I know who that is. Just remembered is that Bobby "the brain" Henan?

Goes hand in hand with our overall roster. It stinks.

Westy used to be able to polish a few turds and put together some decent units but we have less talent on this team than we have had in a long time.

I can't kill Westy b.c a Pro Bowl LT doesn't do his assignment or b.c he is forced to have a backup QB as PP, one that can't read a defense and misses blocks. Can't kill him when Kerley fumbles punts. He used to be able to put Leonhard back there when we needed to sure things up.
    He's done. The team has given up and he has too. With rex a and tanny around for another season, this is what we have to look forward too.

What the heck, why not.....

Here's the alignment of the "base defense" at the snap of the ball. This is when you'd make the PSR, or pre-snap read.

Here would be the play scheme (based on watching it unfold).

As you can see, at the onset of the play, the MLB was about 3 yards to the left of the ball. He was between the hashmarks, slightly shaded to the right. Play was designed to go a couple yards to the right of the hashmark.

It's important to remember that this play flows to the right and that the defense reacts accordingly. That is, they flow to the right as well. Center has blue X over him. He's supposed to come out and block the MLB who is about 4 yards off the line, and 3 yards to the left of the ball. Demario Davis (56) is supposed to down block his man to the inside. Eric Smith (33) drifts out and down to the right, taking the OLB with him as he would be an eligible receiver coming out of the backfield. He then executes a seal block. The DE is circled with dashes. He is being Optioned on. If he comes down to cover Hilliard (36), then Tebow (15) keeps the ball and goes through the hole. If the DE comes to stop Tebow, then Tebow executes a shovel pass to Hilliard. This one is purely about position. IF the other blocks are made, there is no need to block the DE as he takes himself out of the play.

The reason this play didn't work is that the center didn't get a block on the MLB.

Here's Purdum trying to get to his block, but missing it. The red arrow on the right points to him, the red arrow on the left points to the MLB, who he was supposed to block:

Here's the MLB, Laurinaitis, the guy Purdum was supposed to block, standing in the middle of a BIG ASSED HOLE that Hilliard would have run through to get the first down.

Like I said, it doesn't matter that they were in their base defense. The play was perfect for the alignment the defense was in. Purdum just has to make that block.
    Here is my question for you.... If faking the punt is scheme and not surprise, why send the punt team out to go for it? Why not just have the offense line up and run that play? I can think of a few answers but at the end of the day, the element of surprise does play a role here. Further, you are asker Purdom to block Laurenitis, If I am the defense, I will take that matchup any day, how about having Mangold, Moore, Slausen, you know guys who can actually block be responsible for that? If you are going to fake it and surprise is irrellevant, you could insert any offensive lineman there who is better prepared to make that block.

Rookie
    I blame Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Tebow should have noticed D and opted out to punt.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Here is my question for you.... If faking the punt is scheme and not surprise, why send the punt team out to go for it? Why not just have the offense line up and run that play? I can think of a few answers but at the end of the day, the element of surprise does play a role here. Further, you are asker Purdom to block Laurenitis, If I am the defense, I will take that matchup any day, how about having Mangold, Moore, Slausen, you know guys who can actually block be responsible for that? If you are going to fake it and surprise is irrellevant, you could insert any offensive lineman there who is better prepared to make that block.

Why send the punt team out ? Because you might actually punt if the defensive alignment isn't in your favor ? Take a look at that first pic. If one of the LBs over to our left had been positioned to the right, fake would have been called off and we would have punted.

As for blocking, we had Garrett McIntyre block the Texans starting DE on a fake punt. For these plays, they guys in question don't have to get pancake blocks or dominate whomever they are going against. All that's really needed is to get in the defender's way. If Purdum had gotten his body inbetween Laurinaitis and the hole, Hilliard would have picked up the first down. Kind of like a "pick" or "rub" play by a WR. Just create a little bit of space by slowing a guy down or interfering with him a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Tebow should have noticed D and opted out to punt.
    Already addressed this. Rex and Westhoff have said that we will run fakes against base defenses and we had already done it against the Texans.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 11-21-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Already addressed this. Rex and Westhoff have said that we will run fakes against base defenses and we had already done it against the Texans.
    That's got nothing to do with the fact the defender was blanketing the receiver of which only Teblow could see, but went through with it anyway.

Goes hand in hand with our overall roster. It stinks.

Westy used to be able to polish a few turds and put together some decent units but we have less talent on this team than we have had in a long time.

I can't kill Westy b.c a Pro Bowl LT doesn't do his assignment or b.c he is forced to have a backup QB as PP, one that can't read a defense and misses blocks. Can't kill him when Kerley fumbles punts. He used to be able to put Leonhard back there when we needed to sure things up.
    +1

The talent sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That's got nothing to do with the fact the defender was blanketing the receiver of which only Teblow could see, but went through with it anyway.

When was the receiver blanketed ?

westhoff is also dealing with the merry go round of players signed and released.

im surprised they havent picked up the recently released westerman he was decent for us on defense and special teams.