Thread: Darrelle Revis helped Antonio Cromartie raise his game

Darrelle Revis helped Antonio Cromartie raise his game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...raise-his-game
    Darrelle Revis helped Antonio Cromartie raise his game
    By Kevin Patra NFL.com
    Published: Nov. 21, 2012 at 07:26 a.m.
    Updated: Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:36 a.m.

New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie's play has jumped since All-Pro Darrelle Revis tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Week 3.

Cromartie has allowed opponents to complete just 46.2 percent of balls thrown his way, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

Before Revis went down, the team captain had a heart-to-heart with Cromartie, according to the New York Daily News.

"Before he even got hurt, we had a conversation, saying I need to play at a high level," Cromartie said. "It took for him to come talk to me as a peer, to make me understand, we can have one of the greatest one-two punches at corner. I honestly thank Revis for ... coming to talk to me, being a great teammate and making sure I'm playing at a high level. We expect so much out of each other. We always talk, but it was a different conversation."

Cromartie has been boisterous and confident this season regarding the Jets' play as they've stumbled to a 4-6 start and barely avoided The Fork. Rex Ryan's defense relies heavily on its cornerbacks' ability to be on an island on the outside. The Jets D has struggled this year, but mainly due to lack of pressure on the quarterback and an aging corps up the middle.

On paper, Cromartie was the perfect complement in size and speed to Revis, however his play hadn't always lived up to his ability. He said losing his teammate was a wakeup call he shouldn't have needed to step up his play.

"It shouldn't have took for Revis to go down for me to be playing at a very high level," Cromartie said. "I think I took for granted having Revis on the other side."

Cromartie has shockingly even layed the wood on a few players this year. He's had a pro bowl caliber year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post

"It shouldn't have took for Revis to go down for me to be playing at a very high level," Cromartie said. "I think I took for granted having Revis on the other side."
    Good article, I think the whole defense took it for granted and has gotten a hell of a wake up call. If the D continutes to step it up the rest of the year, the experience working as a unit will lead to a very good 2013 with Revis (but hopefully not holMEs) back.

This does make me feel pretty good for next season. After this season of not having Revis as their security blanket I think the guys that make it onto the 2013 roster will realize that if they step it up that they can be dominate with him. Some more youth infusion at LB and some serious focus on upgrading the O and the Jets can be right back in the mix next year.

As for this season, I'm not going to sit here and hope for the playoffs. If they make a run that'd be great but I'm still watching for is to see which defensive players are going to develop. Love watching the young guys on the line develop more and its been fun to watch our safety play this season. They been laying people out.

Hall Of Fame
    Cromartie is a career underachiever. He has the physical skillset to be a perennial All-Pro. The past couple of seasons the mind has been catching up to the body. Some day he will put it all together. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Most of the time guys like him finally get the mental part of the game once their physical gifts begin to erode.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Cromartie has shockingly even layed the wood on a few players this year. He's had a pro bowl caliber year so far.
    He really has. The penalties are down, and QB's are almost avoiding him in man to man coverage.

A bright spot this year, along with Kerley, Wilkerson, and Landry imo.

I just hope this high-level play continues even after Revis gets back next season.....

Although Revis is shutdown it shouldnt have taken the injury or the talk to have cro step up his game

^ Better late than never, though.....

Jets Insider VIP
    I loved this articel for two reasons.

First it put to bed that Revis isn't a team leader and

Second it put to bed the lie pushed by som out here that Cromartie didnt deserve the contract he received from the Jets. I am all over the Jets FO but I have to say that they were fortunate that they didn't get the other guy and were forced to stick with Cro.....

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I loved this articel for two reasons.

First it put to bed that Revis isn't a team leader and

Second it put to bed the lie pushed by som out here that Cromartie didnt deserve the contract he received from the Jets. I am all over the Jets FO but I have to say that they were fortunate that they didn't get the other guy and were forced to stick with Cro.....
    FACT: Cro HASN'T lived up to his contract.

What did he get paid? Like 4 years 32 million if my memory serves me correctly?

Just because he's playing great THIS season does not excuse lackadaisical play LAST season. He got paid something like 8 million last season, so let me ask you:

Was he worth it????

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Just because he's playing great THIS season does not excuse lackadaisical play LAST season. He got paid something like 8 million last season, so let me ask you:

Was he worth it????
    Yes.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Was he worth it????
    He may not be worth it, but it was a better signing than Nnmadi would have been. Tanny was saved from himself on that whole situation.