Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upside Down Cooking Turkey

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Upside Down Cooking Turkey

The poultry farm said for maximum taste and juiciness I should cook the turkey upside down for 4 hours and right side up for the last 30 minutes.

Does this sound right? How do you season and apply the cheese cloth then?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, Boigan County.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, determine which side is truely up. You might be surprised.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always start any poultry, especially a big bird like turkey, breast side down for the first hour or so of cooking. This allows the fattier parts of the fowl to naturally "baste" the drier portions like the breast. It also browns the bottom part better than if you left it breast side up for the full duration.

After about an hour, I turn the bird over and finish it breast side up. Just be careful when you turn it. It's very hot and easily dropped.

One of these days, I will finally invest in one of those stainless steel devices which lets you cook the turkey upright in either the oven or grill.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I always start any poultry, especially a big bird like turkey, breast side down for the first hour or so of cooking. This allows the fattier parts of the fowl to naturally "baste" the drier portions like the breast. It also browns the bottom part better than if you left it breast side up for the full duration.

After about an hour, I turn the bird over and finish it breast side up. Just be careful when you turn it. It's very hot and easily dropped.

One of these days, I will finally invest in one of those stainless steel devices which lets you cook the turkey upright in either the oven or grill.
    I'm not much of breast man myself.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....I'm thinking this could work with women as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The poultry farm said for maximum taste and juiciness I should cook the turkey upside down for 4 hours and right side up for the last 30 minutes.

SAR I
    it's a sears oven...just put it in and hope it's edible

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the correct method.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found it in my bookmarks. This is the company which makes great upright roasters for various fowl. I spoke with the guy a few years back. He's very enthused about his product line.

http://spanek.com/roaster/roasters.php

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just about to start the Alton Brown brining cycle. It really does a great job with prepping the turkey for cooking tomorrow.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    I'm just about to start the Alton Brown brining cycle. It really does a great job with prepping the turkey for cooking tomorrow.
    Both at home and in professional kitchens, I've brined just about any meat you can imagine. My problem with brining turkey is that you really can't use the pan juices for gravy, as they are rendered (no pun) too salty and would ruin it.

Guess you could overcome this obstacle by preparing a pot of turkey stock with the neck, gizzards, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    I figured you would have a personal chef.

Season it normally. Season the inside too.

Upside down is a good way to cook it but you need a rack in your roasting pan to make sure it does not stick. You don't want to tear the skin.

IMO cheese cloth is overkill. Baste it a couple of times an hour or so and the skin will be fine.

Get a good digital thermometer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you handle these frigging pink, goose bumped, bird caucuses and then eat them? i just want it cooked on a plate in front of me, blissfully ignorant of the details. i was bummed out picking ours up today, and it was wrapped in plastic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a fan of brining the turkey either.

If you are brining your turkey make sure it is a fresh one. Not injected or frozen one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found it in my bookmarks. This is the company which makes great upright roasters for various fowl. I spoke with the guy a few years back. He's very enthused about his product line.

http://spanek.com/roaster/roasters.php
    I use something similar to that for whole chickens on the grill. Comes out great. I imagine a turkey would be great as well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I figured you would have a personal chef.

Season it normally. Season the inside too.

Upside down is a good way to cook it but you need a rack in your roasting pan to make sure it does not stick. You don't want to tear the skin.

IMO cheese cloth is overkill. Baste it a couple of times an hour or so and the skin will be fine.

Get a good digital thermometer.
    An indispensable part of anyone's batterie de cuisine. Back in the 90s, I took a course with a rep from DeltaTRAK. At that point, they were the only instant reads you could fully immerse to completely clean and sanitize.

Here's the upgraded one I have owned for at least eight years. Works like a champ.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "baste"
    speaking of basting, did you see Beth Behrs the other night on Broke Girls. Holy frigging smokes....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both at home and in professional kitchens, I've brined just about any meat you can imagine. My problem with brining turkey is that you really can't use the pan juices for gravy, as they are rendered (no pun) too salty and would ruin it.

Guess you could overcome this obstacle by preparing a pot of turkey stock with the neck, gizzards, etc.
    At our local mart they sell an organic gravy (not the mix kind) and it is pretty good. We are not gravy users and it's for the guests mostly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    How do you handle these frigging pink, goose bumped, bird caucuses and then eat them? i just want it cooked on a plate in front of me, blissfully ignorant of the details. i was bummed out picking ours up today, and it was wrapped in plastic.
    LOL. You get used to it after.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I use something similar to that for whole chickens on the grill. Comes out great. I imagine a turkey would be great as well.
    I bought a cheap crap one at WalMart ($3.99) a few year's back which works fine on the grill or in the oven. Think I want to invest in something sturdier like that Spanek for turkey.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    An indispensable part of anyone's batterie de cuisine. Back in the 90s, I took a course with a rep from DeltaTRAK. At that point, they were the only instant reads you could fully immerse to completely clean and sanitize.

Here's the upgraded one I have owned for at least eight years. Works like a champ.

WTF is going on in here?