Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Upside Down Cooking Turkey

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We have a Thermador convection double oven.

Should we use convection mode or standard mode? Not sure if convection is recommended for a 23 pound turkey.

SAR I
    Convection will make for a quicker cook time at a lower temperature. As long as the internal temp is around 165 you'll be good. Also, I find ejaculating inside the bird makes for a crispier skin.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Can't tell if you are pulling peoples legs or are really this clueless.

I use convection just fine. Are you stuffing the bird? What temp are you using in the oven? Do you ave an instant read thermometer or just going by that 3 cent popup timer stuck in the breast? Making your own gravy, or pouring it out of a jar?
    Admittedly clueless. We go to other people's homes for Thanksgiving, have only done it a handful of times ourselves, never with 20+ people.

We are not stuffing the bird. We are going to go at 325 degrees for 4-5 hours based on what the poultry farm said for a 23 pound turkey in non-convection mode.

We bought their stuffing and their homemade gravy, so that's just a re-heat. I bought the digital thermometer that was recommended.

Just not sure if convection for 2-3 hours makes a better/worse tasting turkey than non-convection mode for 4-5 hours. I'm stressed enough about what to wear to the game tonight, don't need this cooking stuff too.

Thanks.

SAR I

Admittedly clueless. We go to other people's homes for Thanksgiving, have only done it a handful of times ourselves, never with 20+ people.

We are not stuffing the bird. We are going to go at 325 degrees for 4-5 hours based on what the poultry farm said for a 23 pound turkey in non-convection mode.

We bought their stuffing and their homemade gravy, so that's just a re-heat. I bought the digital thermometer that was recommended.

Just not sure if convection for 2-3 hours makes a better/worse tasting turkey than non-convection mode for 4-5 hours. I'm stressed enough about what to wear to the game tonight, don't need this cooking stuff too.

Thanks.

SAR I
    Convection won't cut that much time off. Use regular if you don't plan on covering the breast with butter soaked cheesecloth, don't want to dry it out. Store bought gravy and stuffing? Oh my Jeebus.

Digital thermometer is good. But do you know where to stick it and what temp is time to pull out the bird?

Thanks guys. Caphalon, $99 at Bed Bath And Beyond.

First Thanksgiving without a foil pan, feels sort of silly to buy this roaster thing for the once a year we'll use it, but I guess it'll last as long as my PSL's.

Have a happy holiday.

SAR I
    You can use a roasting pan all year long for chicken, pork, whatever you like. The depth also allows you to make lasagna in it.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Convection won't cut that much time off. Use regular if you don't plan on covering the breast with butter soaked cheesecloth, don't want to dry it out. Store bought gravy and stuffing? Oh my Jeebus.

Digital thermometer is good. But do you know where to stick it and what temp is time to pull out the bird?
    We found a Martha Stewart recipe online and are soaking a cheesecloth in butter right now.

Will do non-convection. They forgot the pop-up timer; very good that I bought a digital meat thermometer.

SAR I

We found a Martha Stewart recipe online and are soaking a cheesecloth in butter right now.

Will do non-convection. They forgot the pop-up timer; very good that I bought a digital meat thermometer.

SAR I
    They did you a solid by have no pop up timer. Millions of turkeys will be ruined across America today by people relying on that 3 cent gizmo designed to pop when the breast reaches 180. All it does is ensure a dry, stringy horrible outcome.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

They did you a solid by have no pop up timer. Millions of turkeys will be ruined across America today by people relying on that 3 cent gizmo designed to pop when the breast reaches 180. All it does is ensure a dry, stringy horrible outcome.
    Thanks. The bird is in the oven 45 minutes now, not going to baste it as I read bad things about it.

SAR I

At work this year (Home Depot) we used an infrared fryer and to my surprise every one of the 10 birds that were cooked thru out the day came out perfectly crisp outside and juicy and tender both white and dark, inside. Each 15 pound bird was cooked on average in about 35 minutes.
    Personally I plan on purchasing one to use for our Xmas bird and all others after that.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you.

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks. The bird is in the oven 45 minutes now, not going to baste it as I read bad things about it.

SAR I
    When its done, let it sit for like 20-30 minutes before you carve. Here is a good video if you don't plan to carve at the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tax9TO0jmQ

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    At work this year (Home Depot) we used an infrared fryer and to my surprise every one of the 10 birds that were cooked thru out the day came out perfectly crisp outside and juicy and tender both white and dark, inside. Each 15 pound bird was cooked on average in about 35 minutes.
    Personally I plan on purchasing one to use for our Xmas bird and all others after that.

Always wanted to try out one of these. They are reasonably priced and a very healthy alternative.

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    When you probe the meat, DO NOT let the thermometer touch the bone. It will give an inaccurate reading. You can test the breast and/or the thigh.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post

Was looking at those myself. Was it the Charbroil $99 one that says it's an oil-less fryer? Or was it the $169 Charbroil Smoker/roaster/grille? I'm thinking of the smoker as it kills 3 birds with 1 stone. (No pun intended).

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Thanks again, everyone.

What knife should I use to carve the turkey? A fine-edge or a serrated edge?

Also, how do you sharpen knives with one of those 'wand' sharpeners?

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Thanks again, everyone.

SAR I
    Why aren't you gRunk yet? It's a JI Thanksgiving tradition.

Thanks again, everyone.

SAR I
    First, that's not a sharpener; it's a honer. The steel re-aligns the microscopic teeth of your knife. If your knives are dull, find a good knife sharpening craftsman in your area.

I use a meat carving knife with special indentations making it non-stick. I use Messermeister, but lots of companies make similar knives. Another prudent investment for a cook.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Why aren't you gRunk yet? It's a JI Thanksgiving tradition.
    I thought it was played out. Also, so busy cooking I haven't whipped out the Captain & Diet just yet.

SAR I

Haven't started any drinking yet either, but as soon as the 1st games kicks off !

Borgo, I recently got a set of new steak knives 4 serrated and 4 non-serrated
    made by a company I never heard of Cutco ?
    I like them allot, and I'm looking into some of their carving knives as well.
    right now we have some inexpensive knives.

ever hear of the brand Cutco ?

Was looking at those myself. Was it the Charbroil $99 one that says it's an oil-less fryer? Or was it the $169 Charbroil Smoker/roaster/grille? I'm thinking of the smoker as it kills 3 birds with 1 stone. (No pun intended).
    The one we used at the store was the 99.00 oil-less fryer and I gotta say it did a wonderful job. I might add it can also be used many other food items as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joe willie View Post
    Haven't started any drinking yet either, but as soon as the 1st games kicks off !

Borgo, I recently got a set of new steak knives 4 serrated and 4 non-serrated
    made by a company I never heard of Cutco ?
    I like them allot, and I'm looking into some of their carving knives as well.
    right now we have some inexpensive knives.

ever hear of the brand Cutco ?
    Have not heard of them. Just did a quick look and the line seems interesting. They maintain their edges well?

Cajuns love turkey friers.