Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Upside Down Cooking Turkey

Help!

The digital thermometer says we're at 170 degrees all over the bird and it's an hour earlier than planned.

What do I do with a cooked turkey 2 hours before guests arrive so it's not a dry mess?

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Have not heard of them. Just did a quick look and the line seems interesting. They maintain their edges well?
    I only have the steak knives right right now, and I just got them a few days ago. but they have lifetime sharpening even if not the original buyer.

I'm looking into getting some carving knives from them to replace my cheap ones.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Help!

The digital thermometer says we're at 170 degrees all over the bird and it's an hour earlier than planned.

What do I do with a cooked turkey 2 hours before guests arrive so it's not a dry mess?

SAR I
    Cover it. Keep it warm in oven at a low temp like 180-200.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cover it. Keep it warm in oven at a low temp like 180-200.
    It's been out of the oven for 1 hour now, temperature is at 150 degrees.

Put in the oven or keep it out still?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    You can put it back in if you want to keep it warm. You can also put some CLEAN wet towels on it to keep it moist. Either way just keep it covered. Serve it with some nice gravy and everything will be fine. You can go ahead and carve it now too and foil up the pieces with some of the juices.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-22-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Help!

SAR I

So tell us. How horrible was it? And no lying saying it was delish. We KNOW otherwise.

SAR I
    Sorry I was not on line to assist you.

As a former professional cook, I will give you one of the secrets to cooking. Ready? Never use time as the most important factor in the cooking process.

I swear, most home cooks would leave a burning cake in the oven because it had not been in the time stated in a recipe. Oven temperatures vary; as does thickness of what you are cooking. Learn to always look at the dish you're cooking; smell, probe, test and taste during the cooking process (sounds like my honeymoon), rather than relying solely on time.

Quote Originally Posted by joe willie View Post
    Haven't started any drinking yet either, but as soon as the 1st games kicks off !

Borgo, I recently got a set of new steak knives 4 serrated and 4 non-serrated
    made by a company I never heard of Cutco ?
    I like them allot, and I'm looking into some of their carving knives as well.
    right now we have some inexpensive knives.

ever hear of the brand Cutco ?
    Cutco, are you kidding me. I have the Cutco cookbook from my Mom. She got it back in the late 50's or early 60's when the Cutco salesmen went door to door on Long Island. I gotta dig it out of the attic. Shows the different cuts of meat and has about 40 stample'ish recipes. Good products.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    So tell us. How horrible was it? And no lying saying it was delish. We KNOW otherwise.
    It turned out great, actually.

Though it hit 170 degrees an hour before anticipated, it sat for 2 hours in some loose foil and remained very moist and tasty. Thank goodness you guys suggested a digital meat thermometer, because they forgot to give us a little plastic pop-up timer and we would've left it in for five hours and the thing would've been dry as cardboard.

In the end, I'm never doing that again. Hosting Thanksgiving for 25 people and making a 23 pound turkey is just too much work for what's supposed to be a relaxing holiday.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Have not heard of them. Just did a quick look and the line seems interesting. They maintain their edges well?
    I did the Cutco selling thing in college. Decent knife, use surgical grade stainless. Not a true serrated edge, a design they call the "double D" (not that kind). They do make for a cleaner cut than serrated and stay sharp. Sturdy design and comfortable handle. The straight edges keep an edge well.

That said, now that I've advanced as a cook, I still much prefer my Henckels knives. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I did the Cutco selling thing in college. Decent knife, use surgical grade stainless. Not a true serrated edge, a design they call the "double D" (not that kind). They do make for a cleaner cut than serrated and stay sharp. Sturdy design and comfortable handle. The straight edges keep an edge well.

That said, now that I've advanced as a cook, I still much prefer my Henckels knives. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    Thanks for the info., JP.

I have lots of different knives in my professional "arsenal", mostly Messermeister, Henckels, and Global.