Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop against Patriots still haunts Jets receiver

Drop against Patriots still haunts Jets receiver

Didn't see this anywhere so apolgies if it's a repeat. Personally, I think we put way too much pressure on this guy while giving Ducasse 3 years to come around. But hey, that's the NFL.

Drop against Patriots still haunts Jets receiver

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY SportsShare0 Comments

New York Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill wants to redeem himself after a drop cost the Jets a shot at victory against the Patriots in the teams' first meeting this season.(Photo: Ed Mulholland, U.S. Presswire)
    Story Highlights

• Jets had a shot at beating the Patriots in the first meeting, but lost in overtime
    • Stephen Hill's drop led to a tying field goal instead of the potential winning TD
    • Hill says Thursday night's game vs. Pats will give him a chance to redeem himself
    8:57PM EST November 20. 2012 - FLORHAM PARK, N.J. The last time the New York Jets faced the New England Patriots, they were a play or two away from knocking off their divisional rivals.

One of those plays was a drop by Stephen Hill on a third-and-4 late in the fourth quarter that resulted in a tying field goal instead of a first down toward a potential go-ahead touchdown.

It was arguably the difference between a season-saving victory and a disappointing near-upset. And it was a moment Hill has been trying to put behind him, only to be reminded once again Tuesday, thanks to a series of questions on it in the final media session before Thursday night's rematch with the Pats.

Hill politely and briefly answered all of them but made it clear afterward he's trying to spin that moment into a positive instead of dwelling upon it as a negative.

"That's the thing. I'm like, 'A drop? Yeah, it hurts. It's going to hurt the team, X, Y, Z. But at the same time, it's a learning experience,'" the second-round pick told USA TODAY Sports. "I've had so much stuff put into my brain this year. I mean, this is a lot (of information). So I just take every day, one day at a time.

"If I mess up, I mess up, I just mess up. I mean, it's life."
    Life for the Jets hasn't been so swell these past few months, what with six losses to their four wins, the constant Tim Tebow chatter, the continuous watch for signs of a mutiny and the backlash for their years of pounding their chests publicly, even if coach Rex Ryan has tried to tone down his act, especially during Patriots week.

It's been rough for Hill, too. He had the drop in New England, one against the Miami Dolphins and another this past Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.
    At this point, he's trying to look at the upside, which is that at least he's getting open.

"Yeah, oh, yeah. I look at it that way all the time," Hill said. "Once I get on the plane, it happened. I'm like, 'Damn, Steve, you could've made that catch. Just catch it first and then run.' It's not like I can't catch, it's like I'm trying to look before I go."

Hill, thrust into a starting role right away this season, has heard the criticism from the outside.
    "Just listen to it," he said, "and let it go."

Hill has gone two games without a catch and has just 14 receptions on the season, a staggeringly low number considering he came right out of the gate with five catches for 89 yards and two touchdowns in the season-opening victory over the Buffalo Bills.

Hill has a theory for why his production has been lower than he'd hoped.
    "I would probably say I would've taken my offseason more football-serious instead of training for the combine," he said. "Just coming from college, the combine, I went straight into training, there was no kind of break or nothing."

That's the only regret he has. The drops, he can only hope to make amends for them. And there's no time like Thursday night to do so.

"It's easy to forget about, but it's not easy to just (accept), because it could've put us in a different situation," he said of the drop against the Patriots, adding of this week's game: "You can say it's kind of a get-back in a way, definitely, because we lost and I had that crucial drop."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...riots/1718353/

it should haunt his ass. hes got a chance to redeem himself tomorrow night.

I'm still haunted also...

All League
    Then why is he still Duraning everything???

Hill has a theory for why his production has been lower than he'd hoped.
    "I would probably say I would've taken my offseason more football-serious instead of training for the combine," he said. "Just coming from college, the combine, I went straight into training, there was no kind of break or nothing."

Gee, ya think, Stephen?

Figures that the Jets get a player who doesn't take the NFL seriously....

That was the worst drop I have seen in a pro game he better have nightmares of it. Mark needs to throw him the ball more though. Drops or not he gets open more often then not.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Gee, ya think, Stephen?

You are really upset that a player was training specifically for the biggest audition of his life as opposed to doing straight football drills?

I would venture to guess that the majority of incoming rookies train the same way and that is one of the biggest reasons you see such a large jump in progress after the second training camp.

This kid has a good head on his shoulders, like he said, he is probably swimming in information right now.

I still think he could beast mode next year when he won't have to think so much.

Hall Of Fame
    Just watched one of his highlight tapes. Nearly every catch he ever made he made with his body, like a basket catch. I counted only three that he caught with his hands including one terrific one-handed catch.

Not sure if the Jets thought they could teach him to use his body and his hands but he eliminates his physical advantages by using his body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQWb4NXvJc
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-21-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just watched one of his highlight tapes. Nearly every catch he ever made he made with his body, like a basket catch. I counted only three that he caught with his hands including one terrific one-handed catch.

Not sure if the Jets thought they could teach him to use his body and his hands but he eliminates his physical advantages by using his body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQWb4NXvJc
    Sanjay has a lot of work ahead of him

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

On a team that has plenty of under achievers, JI geniuses elect to attack the by all accounts hard working rookie wideout, who's biggest mistake was taking the combine seriously? Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    On a team that has plenty of under achievers, JI geniuses elect to attack the by all accounts hard working rookie wideout, who's biggest mistake was taking the combine seriously? Brilliant!
    You should just drop all pretenses and just say to me that "I suck" and leave it that.

Gee, ya think, Stephen?

With all due respect, I'm not sure you are on point. Training for the combine IS how these guys improve their NFL stock. Each player's film is in the can. While REAL football training would certainly make them better players than combine training (and Hill realizes that), the fact is that any prospect who does not train to perform well in the combine is a fool. Millions of dollars are gained (and lost) based on combine performances.

So, the fact that Hill trained hard for the combine shows that he does take the NFL seriously. And the fact that he acknowledges he would be a better player of he was able to concentrate on football rather than combine events drives this point home even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    With all due respect, I'm not sure you are on point. Training for the combine IS how these guys improve their NFL stock. Each player's film is in the can. While REAL football training would certainly make them better players than combine training (and Hill realizes that), the fact is that any prospect who does not train to perform well in the combine is a fool. Millions of dollars are gained (and lost) based on combine performances.

So, the fact that Hill trained hard for the combine shows that he does take the NFL seriously. And the fact that he acknowledges he would be a better player of he was able to concentrate on football rather than combine events drives this point home even more so.
    okay. I get your point.

However, why did Hill feel the need to make that statement considering that he HAD TO focus on the Combine or else his stock wouldn't increase or suffer?

It's like he's implying that he HAD A CHOICE between concentrating on the Combine OR focusing on being NFL-ready.....at least that's what his statement sounded like to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

okay. I get your point.

However, why did Hill feel the need to make that statement considering that he HAD TO focus on the Combine or else his stock wouldn't increase or suffer?

It's like he's implying that he HAD A CHOICE between concentrating on the Combine OR focusing on being NFL-ready.....at least that's what his statement sounded like to me.
    Here's a rookie with no experience in dealing with reporters. You can't believe all they spout. Most of he time even vets are just filling an obligation and looking to tip. You can't hang on every word.

Best way to get over your drops? Start catching the fcuking ball, HILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    it should haunt his ass. hes got a chance to redeem himself tomorrow night.
    Yep, that's the good thing. He has a chance to set things straight.

J-E-T-S!! JETS!! JETS!! JETS!!

Gee, ya think, Stephen?

I thought the same thing ... I said this after we picked him though that I wouldn't take his combine speed and value it at game speed. Most guys who burn in the combine are just good track runners ...

he trained for the combine which means he got an awesome track coach to run the 40 as fast as he could, worked on his jumping skills, and did the shuttle cones drill about 40 times a day. This guy said "i would've worked on more football stuff" .... like catching the ball? u enter the draft as a receiver and u didn't train football stuff? lol ... only the jets would draft a guy who's a combine star. terrible ...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I thought the same thing ... I said this after we picked him though that I wouldn't take his combine speed and value it at game speed. Most guys who burn in the combine are just good track runners ...

he trained for the combine which means he got an awesome track coach to run the 40 as fast as he could, worked on his jumping skills, and did the shuttle cones drill about 40 times a day. This guy said "i would've worked on more football stuff" .... like catching the ball? u enter the draft as a receiver and u didn't train football stuff? lol ... only the jets would draft a guy who's a combine star. terrible ...
    Did you train to take your SATs or did you just keep studying whatever you majored in?

Yeah, only the Jets would draft a combine star. Really? Are you sure?

Sparano needs to get Hill involved early, without Jones I'd love to see a reverse or short screen to Hill.
    We need his athleticism & he's a guy that gets a seam & he could make a huge play.
    Try to get his confidence going so he "wants" the ball.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    That was the worst drop I have seen in a pro game.
    Worse even than this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cow...s-Jackie-Smith