Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Drop against Patriots still haunts Jets receiver

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,404
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Did you train to take your SATs or did you just keep studying whatever you majored in?

    Yeah, only the Jets would draft a combine star. Really? Are you sure?
    Cant believe I agree with STEP here.

    You cant teach speed. This kid gets open. He will learn to catch.... sooner I think.

    I am starting to like this kid..... he will be a GREAT receiver. Hopefully it starts now..but the last few games of the season, if the games dont matter and the pressure is off. He will perform. Boost his confidence and next year he will be a pure number one.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDelray View Post
    Yes, worse than that. I'm not sure Sanchez didn't see him open in the end zone in Seattle, he just didn't trust him him to catch it.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,300
    He's a Rookie!!

    Come on guys, give the guy a break!!

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,309
    There's a WR in GreenBay who was even worse than Hill when he came into the NFL. Today every Jet fan would want that kid on this team. Due to the history of this team young players are villianized if they're not instant stars on the Jets when they enter the league.

    If Stephen Hill didn't have issues, he would have been a top 10 pick with his measureables. He has everything he needs to be successful and i believe he will be. He has the measureable, the work ethic and even at this stage of his career, DBs can't cover him because he's always open.

    When he gains his confidence, we won't be able to afford this player.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,239
    The jump from the college to NFL level is huge for most players, but especially so for WRs. The game is so much faster, and the routes and coverages so much more complex, that many great college players take a year or two to adjust. Jerry Rice had a problem with drops in his rookie year, and he was much more experienced than Hill coming out. The kid is just 21 years old and comes from a run first school, but he has elite talent, works hard, runs good routes and gets open. The drops will be a short-term issue and this guy will be great in a few years. Give him time and cut him some slack.

  6. #26
    Although I'll never be a fan of using 1st day picks on developmental players, Valdimir Ducasse anyone?!

    The fact still remains we have him now. What's encouraging is that he is in fact getting open against top notch NFL competition. That should let everyone know that the instincts are there.

    Now, if he can just kick the dropsies, he'd get much more involved in the offense.

    As a side note, this pick has really hurt Sanchez on the field. Those drops that the media is talking about? Those have been some of the most accurate passes I've ever seen Sanchez throw. They've been right between the numbers.

    That is definitely not doing Sanchez any favors.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Cant believe I agree with STEP here.

    You cant teach speed. This kid gets open. He will learn to catch.... sooner I think.

    I am starting to like this kid..... he will be a GREAT receiver. Hopefully it starts now..but the last few games of the season, if the games dont matter and the pressure is off. He will perform. Boost his confidence and next year he will be a pure number one.
    Whether or not he becomes a great receiver, you can't blame him for training for the combine. Everyone does it to maximize your draft stock. In fact it's speaks to his character that he now regrets it.
    You also can't say that only the Jets would draft a combine star. That's why the players train for the combine, and why they spend millions of dollars to have the combine.

    That said. Stephen Hill if he never does get better at catching will still be worth his draft position as a #3 deep threat. He shouldn't be starting right now. If he learns to catch he could become elite, and the steal of the draft.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    okay. I get your point.

    However, why did Hill feel the need to make that statement considering that he HAD TO focus on the Combine or else his stock wouldn't increase or suffer?


    It's like he's implying that he HAD A CHOICE between concentrating on the Combine OR focusing on being NFL-ready.....at least that's what his statement sounded like to me.
    Every prospect has that same false choice i.e. train to be a better football player or train for the combine. Who would ever tell a kid to choose the former?

    I just don't see it the way you do. He seems to be expressing the reality that he would likely be having a better rookie season if he practiced for football instead of the combine, implicitly criticizing the NFL system of over-reliance on combine results.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    okay. I get your point.

    However, why did Hill feel the need to make that statement considering that he HAD TO focus on the Combine or else his stock wouldn't increase or suffer?


    It's like he's implying that he HAD A CHOICE between concentrating on the Combine OR focusing on being NFL-ready.....at least that's what his statement sounded like to me.

    You're reading way to much into a single statement made by a rookie WR. Cut the kid a break.

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,336
    Needs to concentrate and make up for that drop (and others), today.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Sparano needs to get Hill involved early, without Jones I'd love to see a reverse or short screen to Hill.
    We need his athleticism & he's a guy that gets a seam & he could make a huge play.
    Try to get his confidence going so he "wants" the ball.
    Could make a huge play? What evidence do we have of this? The guy is atrocious and is a massive bust. I am very big on giving rookies time to develop but this guy was a wasted pick. You can teach receivers to run better routes, use their body better, but you cannot teach a wide receiver how to catch!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us