Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Verizon - Staying on Grandfathered unlimited Plan

  1. #1

    Verizon - Staying on Grandfathered unlimited Plan

    Has anyone tried to stay on their old grandfathered plan rather than paying for new tiered plan?

    I'm looking into phones (Probably Samsung Galaxy SIII) and I can pay full retail ($650) and seemingly keep my old plan. I say this because when I go to check out, the plan cost is the same as before.

    I've been looking online to see if there are any clues regarding this and I get mixed reviews. It seems that VZ reps are telling people they can't do this, but when online people have tried, they can. I currently do not have a 3G plan, as I have a Droid X (Because one of the main reasons I use my phone is for GPS and driving directions, I'm not going with IPhone 5, though I do appreciate how nice they are).

    The monthly difference is about $60 between the two plans, but I'm worried that I get pay full price for a phone that I still need to switch to a tiered plan. This is because my wife has a flip phone that would cost a whole lot more on the new tiered system (each phone costs $30 or $40)

    Thoughts? Has anyone paid full price since the new tiered structured went live in June? Has anyone done this AND moved from 3G to 4G?

  2. #2
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

    Thoughts?
    Yeah. Worst thread title of all time.

    Good luck with the phone.






  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Yeah. Worst thread title of all time.

    Good luck with the phone.







    Worse than "Offering My Services"? I find that hard to believe.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Worse than "Offering My Services"? I find that hard to believe.
    Worse than "I bant a guy"?

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Worse than "Offering My Services"? I find that hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Worse than "I bant a guy"?


    -

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,762
    those thread titles are lacking an' need enhancing

    ", *****es!!!!" appendeded at the end will work a treat

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,611
    When AT&T implemented their new data plan, ANY change to the account would automatically cause the new data plan to occur....I know of a lot of PO'd people, Verizon...I assume it will be the same.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    When AT&T implemented their new data plan, ANY change to the account would automatically cause the new data plan to occur....I know of a lot of PO'd people, Verizon...I assume it will be the same.
    That's the thing, I went all the way up to the end, and the data plan didn't change. That's why I'm hopeful, I've read mixed reviews. I don't use a ton of data 2GB currently, probably more if I had 4g. But with taxes and stuff, it's a big monthly jump.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,556
    I was grandfathered into Verizon's New Every Two program because I'd had it for so long. Got the Samsung Siii (best phone ever, btw) when it came out, New Every Two AND unlimited data plan gone. Considering moving to AT&T when contract is up just on principle.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's the thing, I went all the way up to the end, and the data plan didn't change. That's why I'm hopeful, I've read mixed reviews. I don't use a ton of data 2GB currently, probably more if I had 4g. But with taxes and stuff, it's a big monthly jump.
    If you get a new phone with AT&T, you get a new SIM card...that is a change in the account, thus the new rate kickover....it sucks but whattya gone do?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I was grandfathered into Verizon's New Every Two program because I'd had it for so long. Got the Samsung Siii (best phone ever, btw) when it came out, New Every Two AND unlimited data plan gone. Considering moving to AT&T when contract is up just on principle.
    Did you buy subsidized phone? I'm thinking of paying full price. New every 2 is the subsidized price (~$200 right now). I'm going to pay full $650 and save $60+/month.

  12. #12

    The new plan is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Did you buy subsidized phone? I'm thinking of paying full price. New every 2 is the subsidized price (~$200 right now). I'm going to pay full $650 and save $60+/month.

    I decided to upgrade with 2 DROID RAZR MAXX phones back in late June. New plan is fine. About same price probably less since I went with 4GB shared plan and my family never gets near 2GB because we are always on WIFI.

    You are way over thinking this.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Has anyone tried to stay on their old grandfathered plan rather than paying for new tiered plan?

    I'm looking into phones (Probably Samsung Galaxy SIII) and I can pay full retail ($650) and seemingly keep my old plan. I say this because when I go to check out, the plan cost is the same as before.

    I've been looking online to see if there are any clues regarding this and I get mixed reviews. It seems that VZ reps are telling people they can't do this, but when online people have tried, they can. I currently do not have a 3G plan, as I have a Droid X (Because one of the main reasons I use my phone is for GPS and driving directions, I'm not going with IPhone 5, though I do appreciate how nice they are).

    The monthly difference is about $60 between the two plans, but I'm worried that I get pay full price for a phone that I still need to switch to a tiered plan. This is because my wife has a flip phone that would cost a whole lot more on the new tiered system (each phone costs $30 or $40)

    Thoughts? Has anyone paid full price since the new tiered structured went live in June? Has anyone done this AND moved from 3G to 4G?
    My grandfather doesn't even have a cell phone

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Did you buy subsidized phone? I'm thinking of paying full price. New every 2 is the subsidized price (~$200 right now). I'm going to pay full $650 and save $60+/month.
    I was told paying full price wasn't an option and that they were phasing out unlimited data. Paid about $200 for the Siii.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I was told paying full price wasn't an option and that they were phasing out unlimited data. Paid about $200 for the Siii.
    The key is not talking to Verizon. I was able to switch the phone (paying full price) but kept my old plan, which saves $50 - $60 / Month. I have to wait until the next bill to confirm, but it looks like it went through as planned.

    Now I want to get a stronger battery and a case, and I'll be set for 2 years. I'm digging having 4G service though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The key is not talking to Verizon. I was able to switch the phone (paying full price) but kept my old plan, which saves $50 - $60 / Month. I have to wait until the next bill to confirm, but it looks like it went through as planned.

    Now I want to get a stronger battery and a case, and I'll be set for 2 years. I'm digging having 4G service though.
    Let us know how that turns out officially.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us