Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I thought in the family room was the best place to fry it off. That way, all the family can gather around to "ooh and aah" at your cooking dexterity and the prized final result.
    LOL....whats funny is that we just stand around and watch the bird fry for the hour or so it takes to cook. Not sure why we all stand there and watch, but it seems like the manly thing to do.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Do you have to dry the turkey really well first so any moisture wont splatter?

Are you the official Turkey lowerer?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL....whats funny is that we just stand around and watch the bird fry for the hour or so it takes to cook. Not sure why we all stand there and watch, but it seems like the manly thing to do.
    Because it's so cool. This is the one cooking method I have not tried. In your situation, I'd be hovering over the cook(s) trying to learn the technique. Of course, I'd have my ever-present glass and/or bottle in hand.

Roasted; sausage stuffing in separate pan.
    that's what were doing, I wanted to try the upside-down turkey roasting method, but I chickened out

I've got the probe set for 180 degrees in the thick part of the thigh just under the leg ?, does that sound about right ?

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway

Hall Of Fame
    Because it's so cool. This is the one cooking method I have not tried. In your situation, I'd be hovering over the cook(s) trying to learn the technique. Of course, I'd have my ever-present glass and/or bottle in hand.
    Not much technique involved.....LOL.

Fill fryer with oil, heat oil, slowly drop bird in oil and wait. Drink while bird is cooking.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Do you have to dry the turkey really well first so any moisture wont splatter?

Are you the official Turkey lowerer?
    Yes dry the turkey best you can, make sure it is totally defrosted.

And yes, I am the official Turkey dropper.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Not much technique involved.....LOL.

Fill fryer with oil, heat oil, slowly drop bird in oil and wait. Drink while bird is cooking.
    fill the fryer? i dont think you fill it you are supposed to accomodate for the size of the turkey and not overfill it or you will have spillage of hot oil not good. at least thats what i heard my neighbor explaining to others.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    fill the fryer? i dont think you fill it you are supposed to accomodate for the size of the turkey and not overfill it or you will have spillage of hot oil not good. at least thats what i heard my neighbor explaining to others.
    Yea, do not fill to the top. Depending on the size of the fryer, it usually takes about 3.5 to 4 gallons of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by joe willie View Post
    that's what were doing, I wanted to try the upside-down turkey roasting method, but I chickened out

I've got the probe set for 180 degrees in the thick part of the thigh just under the leg ?, does that sound about right ?
    180 degrees is what the USDA recommends. Problem is that your bird will be over cooked.

In theory, salmonella (and other bacteria) are killed at 160 degrees. That's the proper temp. for the breast meat. The dark meat needs a little extra time, so--to be safe--I usually cook it to 165-170 degrees.

In a perfect world, we'd all separate the turkey parts (dark & white) and cook them for the correct amount of time.

180 degrees is what the USDA recommends. Problem is that your bird will be over cooked.

In theory, salmonella (and other bacteria) are killed at 160 degrees. That's the proper temp. for the breast meat. The dark meat needs a little extra time, so--to be safe--I usually cook it to 165-170 degrees.

In a perfect world, we'd all separate the turkey parts (dark & white) and cook them for the correct amount of time.
    So glad I asked, I backed the probe down to 167
    Thanks !

So glad I asked, I backed the probe down to 167
    Thanks !
    I'd go to 170 for the dark meat. Just make sure you take the reading in the thickest part of the turkey (leg/thigh region) away from the bone. Juices should be running clear, with no trace of pink.

turkey is done 40 minutes in the deep fryer. it smells delicious. in the oven on 200 awaiting my family. neighbor is the fry daddy of the neighborhood.

Wow, that Turkey came out great !
    took it to 170 degrees on the probe,let it sit covered for an hour before carving it up so the juices go back into the meat, and it was a very moist Bird .

took it to 170 degrees on the probe,let it sit covered for an hour before carving it up so the juices go back into the meat, and it was a very moist Bird .
    The British might interpret that a bit differently.

Awesome job. Glad it turned out well.

Like yours, my bird was perfectly done and juicy. I baste it every 20 minutes or so during the last hour. Came out a rich mahogany color. My wife and son went off on the crisp skin.

first time ever fried a turkey today. im sold. i may buy my own system. yummy.