Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The defense is growing right before our eyes

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The defense is growing right before our eyes

The defense IMO has been the biggest disappointment this season. Everyone should have expected that the offense would have problemscoming into this season. That pretty much went without saying.

I thought the defense would be the saving grace though. I thought the defense would keep us in games. Earlier in the season, it didn't work out that way. They got pushed all over the place.

However, recently they are improving. They are playing much better.

I think the emergence of Cro in the absence of Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson (within the last couple of games), and Quinton Coples has started to give the defense some attitude. They are starting to impose their will on offenses earlier and earlier now.

What's even more encouraging is that there are more and more plays being made behind the LOS. That, coupled with some surprising pressure on the QB, makes me think we are seeing the emergence of a pass rush.

Can you imagine that? Something we've been clamoring for a long time.

They have a huge test tonight though. They'll need to play much better than there last two games to give the Jets a shot at winning. But I believe they can do it.

Lets hope this trend continues. Everyone always knew they had the talent to be top notch, but I think just now they are starting to show it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The defense IMO has been the biggest disappointment this season. Everyone should have expected that the offense would have problemscoming into this season. That pretty much went without saying.

I thought the defense would be the saving grace though. I thought the defense would keep us in games. Earlier in the season, it didn't work out that way. They got pushed all over the place.

However, recently they are improving. They are playing much better.

I think the emergence of Cro in the absence of Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson (within the last couple of games), and Quinton Coples has started to give the defense some attitude. They are starting to impose their will on offenses earlier and earlier now.

What's even more encouraging is that there are more and more plays being made behind the LOS. That, coupled with some surprising pressure on the QB, makes me think we are seeing the emergence of a pass rush.

Can you imagine that? Something we've been clamoring for a long time.

They have a huge test tonight though. They'll need to play much better than there last two games to give the Jets a shot at winning. But I believe they can do it.

Lets hope this trend continues. Everyone always knew they had the talent to be top notch, but I think just now they are starting to show it.
    Wow, a positive post from Mainejet...it must be Thanksgiving or something...

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our problems are not on D.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    And by growing do you mean regressing considerably from the 2-3 seasons prior? I certainly have not seen much to back your point outside of last week's beat down of the hapless Rams?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say the same thing now as i said last year, and the year before, and the year before and the year before.

Our defence would go from good to great if we had an olb pass rushing stud.

Edit: whoa, our sack stats are nothing short of pathetic. Our leading sacker is Bryan Thomas with 2.5 sacks. 81st overall in the league.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 11-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyM View Post
    And by growing do you mean regressing considerably from the 2-3 seasons prior? I certainly have not seen much to back your point outside of last week's beat down of the hapless Rams?
    The first 2 years of Rex's defense was a shock and awe to the league. His tricks have been figured out, and you could see that from the end of last season and the beginning of this season. Their playing markedly better, even if it was against a hapless rams team, they forced turnovers and looked dominant. Look back to the first patriots game, kept it close for the offense, who just couldn't cut it. So yes, they are growing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My penis is growing right before my eyes.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ricky Sapp has been a nice addition....he causes problems in the backfield

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    How has he been playing? I have not been able to see much of the last two games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    our linebackers are awful. can't pass rush, can't tackle and slow as hell.

gotta fix that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    The first 2 years of Rex's defense was a shock and awe to the league. His tricks have been figured out, and you could see that from the end of last season and the beginning of this season. Their playing markedly better, even if it was against a hapless rams team, they forced turnovers and looked dominant. Look back to the first patriots game, kept it close for the offense, who just couldn't cut it. So yes, they are growing.
    I think the downfall of the defense has more to do with the aging of the LB corps. BT, Pace and Bart Scott have been stalwarts here for years but they are over the hill now. We got a killer secondary, even without Revis. We have fixed the problems on the DLine where we got two young studs in Wilkerson and Coples starting to realize their potential. The main problems is the LB corps where Harris is the only real quality starter. Davis is a rookie but he should come around.

Now going forward, it is time for the Jets to finally acknowledge their problems at OLB and invest in the position again - just like they did with Calvin Pace a couple of years ago. We need young, athletic edge rushers or this D will never take the next step and get back to the dominance they displayed a few years ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has he played regularly on D?! Wasnt able to see the last two games...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our defense is now best suited to handle the Patriots and other spread offenses with our Big Nickle and 4 DL line personnel. However, I agree we are a stud rush OLB away from being elite. We also don't match as well with teams that run a smashmouth offense. (i.e. 49ers, Seattle, Pitt)

If you look at the 49ers, Ravens, and Steelers (3 teams I think we try to emulate), they each have 2 stud edge rushers. I think it's interesting how the 49ers use Justin Smith at 5DT and Aldon Smith at OLB as their edge rushers. I think we are more in the 49ers mold with Coples being an edge rusher regardless of whether we are in 3 or 4 man fronts, and the missing piece is the opposite edge rusher. IMO Coples is someone we cant take off the field right now because he is our best pass rusher.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is false.

Wk

Opp

Result

TCKL

SOLO

ASST

SCK

FF

INT

PD

TD

@STL

W 27-13

Last edited by Nike; 11-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    our linebackers are awful. can't pass rush, can't tackle and slow as hell.
    But with the exception of these things they're pretty good though.

The main problems is the LB corps where Harris is the only real quality starter. Davis is a rookie but he should come around.
    Harris has been terrible this year and is just as much to blame as the other dinosaurs playing LB.

Harris is living off his reputation with Jet fans. He was mediocre last year and has been even worse this year. He was never good in coverage so thats nothing new, but now he's slow getting to the hole and has a ton of missed tackles.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    this is false.

Means nothing...he's putting pressure on the QB...allowed others to make plays

Dude, stop hating this team

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyM View Post
    The game against the Seaslugs was a good old fashioned beatdown for 3 quarters. One of the league's top running games was doing nothing against us. In the 4th quarter everything came unf*cked.

However, I blame that on the offense. They went 3 and out for just about the entire game. Did they even have ANY points on offense? Point being, EVERY defense will eventually crack and give up big gains if they are forced to spend almost twice the amount of time playing defense. The time of possession in that was almost 2 to 1 in the Seaslugs favor.

We, as fans, found out that the defense still has some stamina issues. They need to work on being in better shape so they can still compete in a tight defensive battle.

But once again the defense was top notch for 3/4 of the game, despite the offense doing nothing to help them out or spell them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I say the same thing now as i said last year, and the year before, and the year before and the year before.

Our defence would go from good to great if we had an olb pass rushing stud.

Edit: whoa, our sack stats are nothing short of pathetic. Our leading sacker is Bryan Thomas with 2.5 sacks. 81st overall in the league.
    I can agree with that except that it doesn't matter where you get a pass rush from so long as you get one. OLB, ILB, DE, DT, NT what's the difference so long as you are abe to provide consistent pressure on the QB?

Moreover, the Jets are stasrting to look much more like a 4-3 defense. In that defense, typically the pass rush comes from the DL. Once again, nothing written in stone which says you MUST get pressure from one particular position, but just relying on historical norms.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    My penis is growing right before my eyes.
    Why were you looking at another guy?
    Last edited by Mainejet; 11-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Our problems are not on D.
    I hear you in that the offense looks anemic, but...

Jets D is 30th against the run. That is an problem...or an opportunity depending upon glass half full or glass half empty outlook.