Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the TD in the detroit game, same thing like in the first pats game

All Pro
    Lions tried to get into better field position on the previous play and lost 3 yards ... if you run it again, chances are pretty good you get minimal gain, even a loss, plus risk of a fumble. Throw it, risk of an INT. Kick it, risk of a miss FG. And it wasn't a bad miss, he hit the uprights.

Tough call, but sounds like he tried to "play it safe" and lost. Oddly, Houston kicked their FG on 1st down from the 14 yd line ... why did they not run it to try to score a TD? Again, risk of something bad happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Lions tried to get into better field position on the previous play and lost 3 yards ... if you run it again, chances are pretty good you get minimal gain, even a loss, plus risk of a fumble. Throw it, risk of an INT. Kick it, risk of a miss FG. And it wasn't a bad miss, he hit the uprights.

Tough call, but sounds like he tried to "play it safe" and lost. Oddly, Houston kicked their FG on 1st down from the 14 yd line ... why did they not run it to try to score a TD? Again, risk of something bad happening.

I totally disagree. You're looking at a 47 yard fieldgoal, you have to try for more yardage there. If it was a 35 yarder than by all means go for it, but from 47 yards out you need to get as close as you can if you have an extra down to do it in, plus your QB has thrown for 420 yards in the game why are you running it twice down there?

Total goofjob by Schwartz that cost them the game and probably the season.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Throwing the red flag had nothing to do with the play not being reviewed.

The reason it was never reviewed is because no whistle was blown to end the play.
    wrong

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    that rule is SO stupid and makes absolutely no sense. It's a case where the letter of the law prohibits the officials from actually getting the call right, and it goes against logic in every sense of the word.

Everyone in the stadium, and around the world, knew he was down. But because the coach threw a little red flag on the ground, they can't review the play? On what planet does this make any sense?
    Agreed 100 percent. Goodell should get off his cushy chair and make himself useful.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I totally disagree. You're looking at a 47 yard fieldgoal, you have to try for more yardage there. If it was a 35 yarder than by all means go for it, but from 47 yards out you need to get as close as you can if you have an extra down to do it in, plus your QB has thrown for 420 yards in the game why are you running it twice down there?

Total goofjob by Schwartz that cost them the game and probably the season.
    You could also argue that Hansen had kicked a 46 yarder earlier ... I'm not saying I agree with the call, but I can understand the thinking.

And anyway, the earlier challenge flag issue will get him the most heat, the FG decision will probably get ignored.

No it's not a tough call at all, it is flat out idiotic to go into panic mode and it has cost teams again and again and again and again. You can make safe play calls, even passes and not take a huge risks. dumb coaches have no balls and play for the long fg. Good coaches have faith in their team.

Veteran
    Beer fish gets it

All Pro
    So how come no-one's laying into Houston for doing the exact same thing on their first FG attempt in OT? 1st and 10 at the 27, they go conservative and end up going 6 yards backwards, making it a 51 yd FG try that they miss.

Only difference is that Houston got away with that one. But if Detroit gets killed for his play calling, then so should Houston.

So how come no-one's laying into Houston for doing the exact same thing on their first FG attempt in OT? 1st and 10 at the 27, they go conservative and end up going 6 yards backwards, making it a 51 yd FG try that they miss.

Only difference is that Houston got away with that one. But if Detroit gets killed for his play calling, then so should Houston.
    Both coaches pulled a Herm.

I actually call that move the "Herm Principle". If you play for a long FG at end of regulation or OT by going conservative, the kick always misses. Always. It's forces in nature.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Both coaches pulled a Herm.

I actually call that move the "Herm Principle". If you play for a long FG at end of regulation or OT by going conservative, the kick always misses. Always. It's forces in nature.
    Nope neither of the coaches in the game lost yards on purpose......twice!

Nice guy that Herm but not very bright....

Veteran
    The officials have been poor and when they tried to do right, the rule book let hem down. Today was an absolute dry humping of the Lions. The muffed punt, that bs. Bring back the replacement refs. Or better yet, ref a game lotteries. They'll really affect the integrity of the game.

Now to the actual call. Heinous and embarrassing. Even worse that the NFL has an arcane rule that allows the integrity of the game to be swept aside for what amounts to a minor technicality. A coach throwing a red flag is meaningless. It does not interrupt the game when a review is upcoming anyway. If you want to penalize the coach 15 yards (still absurd), fine. But to negate the review? For shame Goodell. For shame....

Hall Of Fame
    In the past they have given the coaches the benefit of the doubt. I am sure the refs will do their best to turn a blind eye toward BB if he made this mistake.

I do not think this will be a rule next year.

The reason it was never reviewed is because no whistle was blown to end the play.
    Gotta love these dumbazz trolls who don't know what they are talking about. By the Detriot coach throwing the challenge flag, he cost his team the opportunity for the play to be reviewed; in addition, a 15 yard penalty. Mike is Hot is absolutely correct. It is a stupid rule. Now, get lost.

All League

You really are dumb. They even spelled it out for you.

As God is my witness I swear I was going to post in this thread earlier how I had a feeling this day may end up punctuating how stupid the Jets were for letting Stafford go in favor of Tebow. The Jets needed to waive Matthew Stafford to clear a roster spot why again?

Quote Originally Posted by movethechains View Post
    As God is my witness I swear I was going to post in this thread earlier how I had a feeling this day may end up punctuating how stupid the Jets were for letting Stafford go in favor of Tebow. The Jets needed to waive Matthew Stafford to clear a roster spot why again?
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????????????????????????????

The Jets needed to waive Matthew Stafford to clear a roster spot why again?
    Wow, put the crackpipe down please!

OK I come clean, I should have thought about that before I posted. In the back of my mind I knew I wasn't sure, and if I had thought on it more I would have recollected the debates here on this board about passing on him over MS in the draft. I had him confused with Drew Stanton, I don't even begin to profess to know as much as most of the guys that post here, and I come here to learn.

All Pro
    OK I come clean, I should have thought about that before I posted. In the back of my mind I knew I wasn't sure, and if I had thought on it more I would have recollected the debates here on this board about passing on him over MS in the draft. I had him confused with Drew Stanton, I don't even begin to profess to know as much as most of the guys that post here, and I come here to learn.
    You're right it was Stanton, not Stafford.

As for why they moved him - after the Tebow trade he basically saw he was going nowhere here, so asked the team to trade / release him, which they did.