View Poll Results: Is McElroy Worth a Look?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 91.01%
  • No

    8 8.99%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 74

Thread: Is McElroy Worth a Look?

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'd imagine that will likely be the way the team has to go. All QB's are crap shoots, you never know where you are going to get a QB that can truly play. But I do think scouting departments do a good enough job to know who would never be a decent talent. Even that goes with exceptions, but for the most part I'd say they are correct. Most of the time when you draft a QB in the 7th round, you are looking at depth at the very most.

    But in this case, and because everyone knows that our starting QB simply isn't working out, we should give McElroy a shot.

    What's the worst that can happen?

    We find out he isn't a good talent? Well, we were already expecting that. We lose a bunch of games? Well, we're already having a horrendous season.

    So honestly what would be the harm? I cannot see any.
    The harm is that the front office and coach will look like idiots.....well more like idiots if they guy is even reasonable. They are terrified to bench their 20 million dollar starter because the owner will clue in that they blew it and fire the lot. As it is they can bluff and say that they have to keep going with Sanchez because they have no one better.

  2. #42
    To add my two cents :



    HELL YEAH!

    McElroy is DEFINITELY worth a look, especially considering we have *NO REAL QB* right now.

    Put him out there and see what he can bring.

    Hopefully, at the very least, he'd turn out to be a solid backup(but preferably a Starter here...).















    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The harm is that the front office and coach will look like idiots.....well more like idiots if they guy is even reasonable. They are terrified to bench their 20 million dollar starter because the owner will clue in that they blew it and fire the lot. As it is they can bluff and say that they have to keep going with Sanchez because they have no one better.
    Beerfish, I think Woody is already aware that they "blew it".

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The harm is that the front office and coach will look like idiots.....well more like idiots if they guy is even reasonable. They are terrified to bench their 20 million dollar starter because the owner will clue in that they blew it and fire the lot. As it is they can bluff and say that they have to keep going with Sanchez because they have no one better.
    I disagree. All that would show is that we have a HC that is tired of losing. He's decided to tweak the team and see if it generates better chemistry.

    Parcells has used that approach many times before. When the team gets on a losing streak, he finally just comes out and tells the press that he's tired of sh*t and he's going to put every player on notice that their jobs are not safe. He'll suddenly cut players just to send a message. He'll bench entrenched players in favor of younger, inexperienced players if he thinks that player might work better with the rest of the team.

    It's a tool that works extremely well and apparently Rex has NEVER heard of that approach.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The harm is that the front office and coach will look like idiots.....well more like idiots if they guy is even reasonable. They are terrified to bench their 20 million dollar starter because the owner will clue in that they blew it and fire the lot. As it is they can bluff and say that they have to keep going with Sanchez because they have no one better.
    And as far as I'm concerned, if I'm Woody Johnson, I say f*ck the coach the GM's ego's. It's time to try and put a better product on the field so the fans can be excited again.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,970
    Let's see if McElroy can move the offense with the crap talent we have, because Sanchez cleary can't. The kid has the heart for sure, and deserves the chance. Foley had the same tag coming out of college with the week arm. Think Foley was a 5th or 7th round pick too. Parcells made the move to Foley, and it turned out well in 97 before he got hurt. Had Foley not gotten hurt we would have beaten the Lions and made the playoffs that year.imo

    I see alot of Glenn Foley in McElroy.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 11-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.

  6. #46
    It would be shocking if they let the third stringer start next week. Until the team is mathematically out of the playoffs, it wouldn't make sense. After that happens. Then why not see what the kid can do?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I disagree. All that would show is that we have a HC that is tired of losing. He's decided to tweak the team and see if it generates better chemistry.

    Parcells has used that approach many times before. When the team gets on a losing streak, he finally just comes out and tells the press that he's tired of sh*t and he's going to put every player on notice that their jobs are not safe. He'll suddenly cut players just to send a message. He'll bench entrenched players in favor of younger, inexperienced players if he thinks that player might work better with the rest of the team.

    It's a tool that works extremely well and apparently Rex has NEVER heard of that approach.
    I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T go to McElroy, if I had my way he would have been in about 3 games ago. I am saying that our coach and front office are so stubborn that they refuse to see the reality of things.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,508
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Let's see if McElroy can move the offense with the crap talent we have, because Sanchez cleary can't. The kid has the heart for sure, and deserves the chance. Foley had the same tag coming out of college with the week arm. Think Foley was a 5th or 7th round pick too. Parcells made the move to Foley, and it turned out well in 97 before he got hurt. Had Foley not gotten hurt we would have beaten the Lions and made the playoffs that year.imo
    No, we lost in 97 because Parcells decided Leon Johnson made a good QB, so much for his "genius"

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And as far as I'm concerned, if I'm Woody Johnson, I say f*ck the coach the GM's ego's. It's time to try and put a better product on the field so the fans can be excited again.
    Me too. But Woody is Woody, not you or me.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    It would be shocking if they let the third stringer start next week. Until the team is mathematically out of the playoffs, it wouldn't make sense. After that happens. Then why not see what the kid can do?
    And this is how the Jets think. Despite the fact that we have the worst, most error prone Qb in the whole league. They should practice what they preach and start the person who has the best chance to win a game. Sanchez is not that guy and we have no idea about the other two.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Let's see if McElroy can move the offense with the crap talent we have, because Sanchez cleary can't. The kid has the heart for sure, and deserves the chance. Foley had the same tag coming out of college with the week arm. Think Foley was a 5th or 7th round pick too. Parcells made the move to Foley, and it turned out well in 97 before he got hurt. Had Foley not gotten hurt we would have beaten the Lions and made the playoffs that year.imo

    I see alot of Glenn Foley in McElroy.
    What we now need is another Vinny waiting in the wings to replace Glenn McEl-Foley.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    And this is how the Jets think. Despite the fact that we have the worst, most error prone Qb in the whole league. They should practice what they preach and start the person who has the best chance to win a game. Sanchez is not that guy and we have no idea about the other two.
    I understand the frustration you have with a crummy QB. Watched enough of them over the years in a Pats jersey to empathize. But you have to stick with the plan. If the team was in the position to cut and run next year, you start McElroy. But there is what, $13 million reason they HAVE to stick with Sanchez. Plus, you know Rex still holds onto the glow of his first two years with the team.

    I do think, however, that most Jets fans will get their wish and see both back-ups get significant playing time before the season's over.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,295
    Yes the FO screwed Sanchez over... I have said that before..

    But so what!!!!

    It is time to do something different so the answer has to be YES!!!!

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    No, we lost in 97 because Parcells decided Leon Johnson made a good QB, so much for his "genius"
    No question Parcells cost us that game, I agree with you there.Just saying if Foley had been healthy and started that game at QB we'd have won.

  15. #55
    Wow,
    Two pages that supports what I and MaineJet have been saying for a few months. This coaching staff lost all respect from me when I found our that they dressed Tim and not Greg, even though Tim was unable to go.
    I also have to think GMac MAY go in and do well, which would embarrass the CS and open them up questions as to why this kid was never dressed. Making them look even more clueless then many of us already suspect they are.
    I will show you Mark Sanchez in a nut shell, the broken running play when Mark turned incorrectly, the mistake was forgivable, happens to the best QB's. What followed is every thing that Mark should have behind him by now,,,,,PANIC. !!!!! not a calm " can I make something out of this" but shear panic. This kid is so done here and may need a change of scenery or a new profession, Male Model, Mark?? Even sitting on the bench the remainder of the season might help improve his game, although I would not put money on that.
    In conclusion, it is time to see just what we have in GMac, we clearly know what
    Tim is capable of from his body of work in Denver. We ALL should know by now that Mark has what appears to be in-correctable flaws that he is unable to over come. Four years should more then enough time to have move on to the next level. What we have is a QB who continues to digress and finds himself at almost the bottom of every important stat in his profession. So if we are to use logic, which I am not sure this team knows the meaning of, giving GMac a few starts to see if he is someone we might consider building around or even worth holding on to as a number two,would be the smart thing to do. We need to know what we have in GMac in real game action. If he sucks , he sucks, at lease we will know and the be able to move on.

  16. #56
    Yes.

    Anyone but Bumchez.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    LMFAO!!!

    And you know this because of your fuggin crystal ball? NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN THIS KID PLAY IN A REAL NFL GAME!!! What an asinine post!
    He was never all that good in COLLEGE! You think all of the sudden that changed? He is a slower, weaker, crappier version of Mark yeah exactly what we need. FRIGGEN BRILLIANT PEOPLE Even if you over look that I still can't stand his attitude. 3rd string QBs don't have the right to start talking trash about his team. F HIM Rex needs his head examined keeping guys like Connor, Hunter, and McNutts on this team as long as he does.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He was never all that good in COLLEGE! You think all of the sudden that changed? He is a slower, weaker, crappier version of Mark yeah exactly what we need. FRIGGEN BRILLIANT PEOPLE Even if you over look that I still can't stand his attitude. 3rd string QBs don't have the right to start talking trash about his team. F HIM Rex needs his head examined keeping guys like Connor, Hunter, and McNutts on this team as long as he does.
    You're LOST, man....LOST!


    Unlike Mark, McElrat is actually a WAAY BETTER QB.

    A slower, weaker, crappier version of Mark? Based on what?

    Didn't know he started at QB in the NFL.....must've missed that.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    You're LOST, man....LOST!


    Unlike Mark, McElrat is actually a WAAY BETTER QB.

    A slower, weaker, crappier version of Mark? Based on what?

    Didn't know he started at QB in the NFL.....must've missed that.
    He is still on this team for one reason. He is the only QB in the league that can make Mark look good.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

    No team has less respect for a player than Jets coaches have for McElroy. Inactive when you know your backup QB's not playing...Smart plan.
    Sad but ture.
    If anyone could tell me why Greg McElroy is on the NYJets Roster it would be a story. What kind of HC would enter an NFL game with 1 option at QB. There's no way Tebow could have played last night . I was expecting someone to get fired today. It's not a good sign that all these clowns still have jobs after that performance last night.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us