Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Changes to the Starting Lineup

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Changes to the Starting Lineup

    Clearly the hint of playoff thoughts we had after St Louis can be firmly eliminated so it is time for the team to look towards 2013.

    Apparently sanchez will start vs arizona (which is ridiculous) but hopefully at some point we can see mcelroy play with the starting offense.

    More realistically though...

    Bart should not see a single non-goaline snap again. Its time for Demario Davis to play as a starter and get the experience he will need for 2013.

    Bart's partner in crime last night, eric smith, should also no longer even dress. The game has sped up and smith is simply not fast or talented enough to be a part of it. We have too many young DBs that needs reps for smith to take a single one away from them. Antonio Allen, Donnie Fletcher and josh bush should be out there as much as possible.

    (On a side note, seeing shane vereen out run both bart and smith by 10 YARDS is probably the defining play of just how badly rex has mismanged the defensive talent on this team. Neither of those players should ever be out there)

    Jason Smith is also someone who should start to see some reps over austin howard. Howard has been decent, but smith is more athletic, and its worth seeing exactly what he can offer as a potential swing tackle or as someone who can compete to be the starter.

    Stephen Hill should never come off the field and should see as many targets as possible. Another raw young player that may actually be a big time player for us down the road. Taking him out for clyde gates or chaz chillens (who has reached his ceiling) is not smart from a developmental standpoint.

    Ricky Sapp should be starting for BT or Pace. Another player that may not amount to anything down the road, but we just dont know. Bryan Thomas has been a good jet and consummate professional, but again, time to see what sapp can do in 2013.

    This may be wishful thinking, but both mcknight and powell should get 1 game each to play as the every down back....20-25 carries, in on passing downs, basically just "carry a full load" for one game. The talk on here for the next 5 months will be heavily focused on acquiring skill position players, esp RB, but I honestly believe powell has EVERY skill that you need to be successful. He is fast enough to cut and elude tacklers, but is strong enough to run between the tackles. McKnight (awful fumble, but it happens) also deserves a shot to see what he can do being in the flow of the game for 4 quarters.

    Ducasse should also see more then the 20% of the snaps he has seen so far.

    We have a lot of work to do with this team and need to find a QB, but those things dont happen overnight. What does help the long term future of an organization is taking times like these to see what you have on the roster, so you can avoid spending a high pick on a position where you have a player that you just havent seen play yet

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,505
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on all accounts .

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Antonio Allen was cut two weeks ago?

    Moore's injuries ruined his career. Can Slauson play RG and keep Ducasse between Mangold and Ferguson where he can be protected.

    The total lack of depth across this team is glaring.

    Scott, Thomas and Pace are 25 play a game guys at this stage of their careers,

    Rotate Thomas and Pace on RLB, and throw Sapp on the other side. Scott gets his 25 plays at WLB and Davis gets the rest, Harris plays the run then
    Dowtin plays in Nickel

    I understand that Rex needed to go ground and pound to take time off the clock so his guys could rest as the depth was not there.

    Howard needs to stay where the hell he is, the guy needs to develop. Give him the reps he needs
    Last edited by patman; 11-23-2012 at 08:33 AM.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart only just plays 1st down unless second down is an obvious running play. He is a starter in name only and will be done very soon.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I thought Antonio Allen was cut two weeks ago?

    Moore's injuries ruined his career. Can Slauson play RG and keep Ducasse between Mangold and Ferguson where he can be protected.

    The total lack of depth across this team is glaring.

    Scott, Thomas and Pace are 25 play a game guys at this stage of their careers,

    Rotate Thomas and Pace on RLB, and throw Sapp on the other side. Scott gets his 25 plays at WLB and Davis gets the rest, Harris plays the run then
    Dowtin plays in Nickel

    I understand that Rex needed to go ground and pound to take time off the clock so his guys could rest as the depth was not there.
    Few things....congrats on the win, you probably have no idea how sickening it was to watch from a jets fan perspective.

    Allen was signed to the PS last week. Dowtin, is currently unsigned, but Id love to see him back in the nickel def as you mentioned.

    The LBs you mentioned are 25 plays a game guys if winning matters. At this point any rep they have, just takes away from them learning. Sapp should be on the field for 90% of the snaps.

    I dont think ducasse and slauson can play together (but im far from an expert on evaluating interior lineman). Slauson is not quick enough to pull and get out on bubble screens etc and those plays are vital. Ducasse has the speed to do that, but his inexperience might be too tough to play next to a guy like slauson.

    I dont think Ground and pound was to give the Def a rest (I actually think "Ground and Pound" was blown out of proportion as "our philosophy". What team doesnt want to run the ball well and play good defense???). Rex calls himself "loyal" but loyalty can also be considered stubborn. He has kept playing a 3-4 defense with "his guys" in it when the entire league has realized that type of defense doesnt work. You have to be able to rush the passer without committing 5 or 6 guys. Plus, ILBs that can hold up in the 3-4 generally (an especially on this team) are not fast enough to cover which again, is where the league went 3 years ago, just without us.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seen my share from Clive Rush, McPherson and Rod Rust. If you think Woody is bad, try Victor Kiam. Who did not have enough money as a SB for Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau so traded down. You guys complained about playing in the meadowlands While I waited 10 min in line to take a piss in a porta-poti inside the stadium.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face COACHES NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR JETS INABILITY TO WIN ANY BIG GAMES

    =Moore's injuries ruined his career. Can Slauson play RG and keep Ducasse between Mangold and Ferguson where he can be protected.

    The total lack of depth across this team is glaring.

    ...yes, Brandon Moore was a very good player for many years, but is now overmatched. Big Changes in O-Line coming.

    btw.... REX AND TANNY are ultimately responsible for 4-10 RECORD OVER LAST 14 GAMES. !

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Clearly the hint of playoff thoughts we had after St Louis can be firmly eliminated so it is time for the team to look towards 2013.

    Apparently sanchez will start vs arizona (which is ridiculous) but hopefully at some point we can see mcelroy play with the starting offense.

    More realistically though...

    Bart should not see a single non-goaline snap again. Its time for Demario Davis to play as a starter and get the experience he will need for 2013.

    Bart's partner in crime last night, eric smith, should also no longer even dress. The game has sped up and smith is simply not fast or talented enough to be a part of it. We have too many young DBs that needs reps for smith to take a single one away from them. Antonio Allen, Donnie Fletcher and josh bush should be out there as much as possible.

    (On a side note, seeing shane vereen out run both bart and smith by 10 YARDS is probably the defining play of just how badly rex has mismanged the defensive talent on this team. Neither of those players should ever be out there)

    Jason Smith is also someone who should start to see some reps over austin howard. Howard has been decent, but smith is more athletic, and its worth seeing exactly what he can offer as a potential swing tackle or as someone who can compete to be the starter.

    Stephen Hill should never come off the field and should see as many targets as possible. Another raw young player that may actually be a big time player for us down the road. Taking him out for clyde gates or chaz chillens (who has reached his ceiling) is not smart from a developmental standpoint.

    Ricky Sapp should be starting for BT or Pace. Another player that may not amount to anything down the road, but we just dont know. Bryan Thomas has been a good jet and consummate professional, but again, time to see what sapp can do in 2013.

    This may be wishful thinking, but both mcknight and powell should get 1 game each to play as the every down back....20-25 carries, in on passing downs, basically just "carry a full load" for one game. The talk on here for the next 5 months will be heavily focused on acquiring skill position players, esp RB, but I honestly believe powell has EVERY skill that you need to be successful. He is fast enough to cut and elude tacklers, but is strong enough to run between the tackles. McKnight (awful fumble, but it happens) also deserves a shot to see what he can do being in the flow of the game for 4 quarters.

    Ducasse should also see more then the 20% of the snaps he has seen so far.

    We have a lot of work to do with this team and need to find a QB, but those things dont happen overnight. What does help the long term future of an organization is taking times like these to see what you have on the roster, so you can avoid spending a high pick on a position where you have a player that you just havent seen play yet
    Agree on most points.

    Keep Howard at RT and use Smith for jumbo packages. Smith is an UFA next season so likely won't be with the team.

    Play McElroy and Tebow the rest of the season. Sanchez becomes inactive. I might even say Sanchez should be cut and the Jets eat his massive contract.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is addicted to vets, players who he thinks knows his system, players who look okay in practice against our awful offense.

    It is apparent that Rex is a good scheme coach and that is it. He's a poor head coach and he so far has been TERRIBLE at developing younger players. I would hold out no hiope at all that the jets will get younger players into the lineup until the last game of the season perhaps.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Rex is addicted to vets, players who he thinks knows his system, players who look okay in practice against our awful offense.

    It is apparent that Rex is a good scheme coach and that is it. He's a poor head coach and he so far has been TERRIBLE at developing younger players. I would hold out no hope at all that the jets will get younger players into the lineup until the last game of the season perhaps.
    Thats exactly why he sticks with vets too long, he is either too afraid of mental mistakes by younger guys or feels he "owes" it to his vets to stay with them way too long. I think it is because, like you said, Rex is a good scheme coach but does not posses the ability to coach up young players. This would also play into his poor ability to evaluate talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us