Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireman Ed bolts game at halftime deletes Twitter/Facebook accts.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    How ironic is it that the biggest attention whore on this site is offended by someone who gets tremendous attention without even really trying.
    I would like my football team to have a proper mascot. Maybe a big kangaroo with an oversized head, maybe a foam plane with furry wings.

What I don't appreciate is a grumpy old man begging me to do work at a football game as if I'm too stupid to realize when to cheer and went to keep quiet.

And unlike the rest of us, he has a propensity to quit, just leave the team. He did this five years ago, and what now? Will he disappear for a year or for the rest of his life?

And please, talk about attention whoring. Makes pouty face for the cameras and then storms out in the middle of the game so everyone can see. In case anyone missed it, deletes his Twitter account. How ridiculous.

If we had a plush lion with a big furry head, we don't have this drama. I want a real mascot not a grumpy old man.

SAR I

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    sar i said it. he should be banned from this forum.

im a volunteer firefighter and my brother is a paid firefighter that comment hit home. ed was injured on the job i was told ive met him numerous times hes a dedicated fan of the jets win or lose.
    I'd love to see SAR call one of these guys a "blue collar worker" when his house is on fire and his young daughter or son is trapped in the house.

Or if his 3 series is t-boned by a cement mixer and one of those "blue collar workers" has to use the jaws of life to save his wife pinned in the car.

SAR, I get your elitist schtick and I actually get a chuckle from it sometimes. However, it seems you are blurry on the line between fun antagonistic humor and being a total toolbag.
    Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 11-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No f-cking way. That blue-collar loser doesn't represent me.

If we were in Shea Stadium, maybe Giants Stadium, fine, he's "of the people". Today, MetLife Stadium, different story. All the fans in my section boo him and take great enjoyment when the Jets bring him in for an on-field pregame chant and everyone ignores him. The fans that he used to relate to are all gone or in the upper deck. The Jets should relocate him up there so the paying customers don't have to look at him anymore.

SAR I
    Stop. He's retired.

To set the record straight, no fireman is a "loser". Several of my friends and relatives served in that capacity for civic duty, a crew saved my son's life when he was an infant, I would never do anything to besmirch them.

I called Fireman Ed a "loser". Not an entire group of people dedicated to keeping people safe.

Carry-on.

SAR I
    sorry the feel good apology doesnt cut it with me. as i said you insulted every firefighter in the world. we arent blue collar losers volunteer or paid.

I would like my football team to have a proper mascot. Maybe a big kangaroo with an oversized head, maybe a foam plane with furry wings.

What I don't appreciate is a grumpy old man begging me to do work at a football game as if I'm too stupid to realize when to cheer and went to keep quiet.

And unlike the rest of us, he has a propensity to quit, just leave the team. He did this five years ago, and what now? Will he disappear for a year or for the rest of his life?

And please, talk about attention whoring. Makes pouty face for the cameras and then storms out in the middle of the game so everyone can see. In case anyone missed it, deletes his Twitter account. How ridiculous.

If we had a plush lion with a big furry head, we don't have this drama. I want a real mascot not a grumpy old man.

SAR I
    Oh no, he deleted his Twitter Account? My god, what's going to happen next? Banana Republic running out of Khakis? The Espresso Machine getting jammed? Hootie and The Blowfish are going to break up????!!!!!!!!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    And is that not what Fireman Ed did when he served in that role? Or did he never actually do any of that work and only got paid because of his celebrity persona with the Jets?
    I don't want to talk about his value as a firefighter because I'm not qualified to do that.

His name happens to start with "fireman" and currently he plays the role of a firefighter mascot at football games. We are allowed to be anti-Fireman Ed while not being labeled 'anti-firefighter'.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    I think they showed him on TV during the third quarter?
    You can find the dick here.....http://deadspin.com/5962896/last-nig...th?tag=LOLJets

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

SAR I
    Ed did not ask to be the mascot. He was coronated by the fans to be who he is. If the fans didn't want him he wouldn't be around. Thankfully his actions are not dictated by your little elitist clique that you say don't like him. I've sat in almost every area of the stadium since it's opened (upper deck, mezz, field level, club, coaches club, luxury box) and based on my observations it's pretty consistent the support he gets when he does his thing.
    Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 11-23-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I don't want to talk about his value as a firefighter because I'm not qualified to do that.

His name happens to start with "fireman" and currently he plays the role of a firefighter mascot at football games. We are allowed to be anti-Fireman Ed while not being labeled 'anti-firefighter'.

SAR I
    But you were just waxing poetic about how much you respect and appreciate the profession, but yet you have none for him, forget abotu his role as a fan, but what about his time as a firefighter? Isn't that one in the same with every other firefighter (active or retired) in the world?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I'd love to see SAR call one of these guys a "blue collar worker" when his house is on fire and his young daughter or son is trapped in the house.

Or if his 3 series is t-boned by a cement mixer and one of those "blue collar workers" have to use the jaws of life to save his wife pinned in the car.

SAR, I get your elitist schtick and I actually get a chuckle from it sometimes. However, it seems you are blurry on the line between fun antagonistic humor and being a total toolbag.
    I take offense to that. We are allowed to be anti-Fireman Ed while not being labeled 'anti-firefighter'.

He's a mascot now, has been for at least the last five years. So being down on Fireman Ed does not mean anyone is down on the brave firefighters that serve our community.

SAR I

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    No f-cking way. That blue-collar loser doesn't represent me.

SAR I
    Your "f-cking" words. Not mine.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Ed did not ask to be the mascot. He was coronated by the fans to be who he is. If the fans didn't want him he wouldn't be around. Thankfully his actions are not dictated by your little elitist clique that you say don't like him. I've sat in almost every area of the stadium since it's opened (upper deck, mezz, field level, club, coaches club, luxury box) and based on my observations it's pretty consistent the support he gets when he does his thing.
    Ed was coronated by the fans back when it was cool. In the Shea days, the Giants Stadium days it was a completely different crowd.

Now, he is a member of the New York Jets organization. He gets invited to team events, he makes public appearances in Cortland to promote the team, he gets mentioned by our owner, he does pregame festivities organizing Jets chants.

Truthfully, I could care less if he gets paid by the Jets or not. I resent the fact that he looks into the camera with his disappointed face trying to get everybody to cheer for him. Like we're disappointing him. Like we owe him anything.

And yesterday's turn of events makes me even more angry. Because unlike other fans that I know that stuck by this team for the last 40 years, Fireman Ed is allowed to pull a little hissy fit every five years and disappear on us for years a time. It was his last disappearing act, when Woody announced we weren't going to Queens, that made me dislike him. This just seals the deal.

SAR I
    Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 11-23-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Leaving the game isn't so bad, honestly. I don't see how it's any different from turning off the TV when the team once again decides to make an ass out of themselves on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He did this five years ago, and what now?
    SAR I
    Are you talking about the time he missed several games because he was injured on the job, and if he did go, would have possibly put his pension at risk, or are you talking about the year he missed several games because his first wife was terminally ill?

Yes, we know that you are such a fan that even if your wife was dying, you would be at the game, just like you disregard your own daughter over the Jets.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Ed was coronated by the fans back when it was cool. In the Shea days, the Giants Stadium days it was a completely different crowd.

Now, he is a member of the New York Jets organization. He gets invited to team events, he makes public appearances in Cortland to promote the team, he gets mentioned by our owner, he does pregame festivities organizing Jets chants.

Truthfully, I could care less if he gets paid by the Jets or not. I resent the fact that he looks into the camera with his disappointed face trying to get everybody to cheer for him. Like we're disappointing him. Like we owe him anything.

And yesterday's turn of events makes me even more angry. Because unlike other fans that I know that stuck by this team for the last 40 years, Fireman Ed is allowed to pull a little hissy fit every five years and disappear on us for years a time. It was his last disappearing act, when Woody announced we weren't going to Queens, that made me dislike him. This just seals the deal.

SAR I
    Bla bla bla bla bla....again....what do you mean by blue collar loser?

-

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

By "blue-collar" I don't mean "is a firefighter".

Blue-collar workers are all that are not white-collar. Plumbers, garbage men, whatever. It's been a long time since that crowd was the dominant force at Jets games. And now in the new stadium, they are even more of an endangered species.

Many of us detest the types that stay in the parking lot and miss the opening kickoff, that get pissed drunk, that scream obscenities in front of our children, that try to smoke in the stairwells. Fireman Ed looks more like those types than he does the current crowd at the stadium. That's all I'm saying by the term "blue-collar".

SAR I

Now the position is open for Rah Rah or sg3.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    Green, hate to say it but according to SAR's specs I think you might fit into his group.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    A blue-collar worker is a member of the working class who performs manual labor. Blue-collar work may involve skilled or unskilled, manufacturing, mining, construction, mechanical, maintenance, technical installation and many other types of physical work. Often something is physically being built or maintained.

In contrast, the white-collar worker typically performs work in an office environment and may involve sitting at a computer or desk. A third type of work is a service worker (pink collar) whose labor is related to customer interaction, entertainment, sales or other service oriented work. Many occupations blend blue, white and/or pink (service) industry categorizations.

Blue-collar work is often paid hourly wage-labor, although some professionals may be paid by the project or salaried. There is a wide range of payscales for such work depending upon field of specialty and experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-collar_worker

SAR I

By "blue-collar" I don't mean "is a firefighter".

Blue-collar workers are all that are not white-collar. Plumbers, garbage men, whatever. It's been a long time since that crowd was the dominant force at Jets games. And now in the new stadium, they are even more of an endangered species.

Many of us detest the types that stay in the parking lot and miss the opening kickoff, that get pissed drunk, that scream obscenities in front of our children, that try to smoke in the stairwells. Fireman Ed looks more like those types than he does the current crowd at the stadium. That's all I'm saying by the term "blue-collar".

SAR I

Lol at "looks like". Digging a bigger hole.

Good thing Ed isn't a "colored" eh SAR?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Green, hate to say it but according to SAR's specs I think you might fit into his group.
    So do many of my in-laws.

It doesn't mean I want them to be my football teams mascot every Sunday.

The point is moot now, isn't it? Fireman Ed quit on the Jets. He's gone. No way Woody Johnson will again trust him in representing the team, especially to the children. Next year will have a nice plush cat with an oversized head and that will be the end of that.

SAR I