Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jets should get a proven veteran QB next year either via trade or FA

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJF71 View Post
    Everyone says we can't cut Sanchez. Why?? I would just eat his entire salary and deal with it just to not have his delusional attitude on the team.
    Fans want a statement/message from Woody? There it is. Along with giving Tanny and Rex (plus the rest of the "coaches") their walking papers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Send Revis to the Redskins for a second and Kirk Cousins. Or work out a deal with Seattle for Matt Flynn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Send Revis to the Redskins for a second and Kirk Cousins. Or work out a deal with Seattle for Matt Flynn.
    If the Jets work out a deal for Matt Flynn, they will be about $17M under the cap, $17M under the cap with only 35 guys under contract, and with 10 starters missing, this cap cost does not include draft costs (~$5m).

To clarfy the Jets will spend $21M+ at QB position for Mat FLynn and Sanchez, and while some of their young players will step up. They will still need to add 15 players.

I don't see how the Jets make it work without reworking Flynn's contract for the future, and frankly, doing that will just be kicking the can down the road, which is more dangerous for a guy who has started all of 2 games. Not to mention throwing away more draft picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just draft a QB every year if we're in the top 15

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Enough with these rookie inexperienced losers that you try to live with growing pains only to realize you wasted your time on a bust. Look what happened when they signed Vinny. If Philip Rivers is available via trade next year I dont give a **** if they have to trade Revis you better get that deal DONE. Any other proven veterans they can go get? Yea I know they don't grow on trees but others trash can be our gold. Michael Vick anybody ?
    Yes to a solid experienced QB, no to Vick.

In addition I would add that if we draft a QB, or worse have to package picks to get a QB in the draft it will hurt us for years in an area where we're already pathetically weak, overall talent and team depth.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan29 View Post
    You know generally I would think this is a ridiculous idea but when you think about it if you don't have a winning QB it doesn't matter what else you draft. Maybe not in the 1st or 2nd round but in each draft. So I think the highest priority is to get a winning QB and then draft to support him. Sanchez is not a winner and will always break our hearts. Just watching the postgame last night it's easy to see he handles the press better than the opposing team.
    Any major corporation does succession planning for their most valuable executives. We should have the same for QB our most important position. Each year we should have a starter, a veteran backup and 2-4 up and comers in training camp. Of the 2-4 we pick one to develop. So I agree.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarified

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but the entire roster is a barren wasteland. Trading draft picks or our best player for a veteran quarterback would be the type of knee-jerk, boneheaded move that created this mess in the first place. It's rebuilding time, not quick-fix time. If anything, the Jets should consider trading Revis for a bunch of high draft picks. He'll be old and gray by the time this team is ready to contend again.
    I agree on no to trading draft picks, but I say yes to signing a solid veteran, there'll be some out there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I don't give a **** that he is a clown. The guy completes over 67% of his passes on his worst year. Worrying about the personality of the QB is what got us into trouble in the first place. Rex fell in love with Sanchez cause he made a stupid joke with a motorcycle **** that
    Not with this receiving corps, or OL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone says we can't cut Sanchez. Why?? I would just eat his entire salary and deal with it just to not have his delusional attitude on the team.
    This is what I've been saying.

Cap hit be damned, get rid of Sanchez and clean house with regards to the front office.

Sure, we'll suck for a year or two, but we suck now anyway. Why delay the inevitable?

Some fans have this misguided thinking that we're only a few minor tweaks away simply because we're two years removed from back to back AFCC appearances. Even though the core of those teams is no longer on this roster.

Atlanta just cut Ray Edwards even though they still owe him a sh*tload of guaranteed money. They saw that he wasn't performing, so they cut bait with his sorry ass instead of keeping him around simply because of his contract situation.

It's time to start from scratch. I can deal with sucking for a few years (hey, we're Jets fans right?) if it means we're stocking this team with young, premier talent with top football minds in charge.

Bring in someone like Polian at GM and a seasoned, successful veteran coach like Gruden or Cowher. A coach that won't play favorites, won't let the inmates run the asylum, and will hold players accountable and scream at their asses on the sideline when they f*ck up instead of patting them on the back.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever watched football?? Romo is far and away better than Sanchez. He makes mistakes like Sanchez, but Sanchez has zero talent on top of the mistakes!!
    I'm one of those that blames the team around him more than I do Sanchez, but I absolutely agree with you that Romo is a much much better QB than Sanchez.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Bring in matt moore on the cheap and hand him the starting job. Draft a qb to groom. Staple sanchez to the bench until we can cut him after next season.
    I like Matt Moore, I think you let he and Sanchez fight it out next season and if there's a QB out there go for it, or pick one to develop later in the draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    There are ZERO decent QBs in this year's draft. NONE.
    Rivers is mentally unstable. Romo is erratic and a choker.
    Flynn is not bad. But not good enough to beat out an unproven rookie.
    Yates stepped in and did well for Hou. But eh.
    To summarize: Jets are screwed.

The 2014 QB draft class DOES look pretty good though.
    How are things in Canada. Don't foolow thoise guys at all. Moon came out of there once. Flutie also.
    I really don't follow college Football but if this is accurate....then next year we clean up the cap and in the first four rounds go RB, OL, OL and WR (no particular order, BPA of those four)

take every cap hit necessary next year and draft the best QB available in 2014

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I really don't follow college Football but if this is accurate....then next year we clean up the cap and in the first four rounds go RB, OL, OL and WR (no particular order, BPA of those four)

take every cap hit necessary next year and draft the best QB available in 2014
    We need OLB as well.