Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A rebuild scenario

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And then what....lose him to FA when he voids his contract in 2014.
    People need to lose this badge of honor about Revis being the best CB in the league....who cares! Cromartie has been playing pretty damn good at $5 million less a year, and there is some great CB's in this upcoming draft. He could bring the most players in when you need to rebuild. That is how you rebuild.
    We keep Revis, we go nowhere.....
    I think we will not be able to move Revis at this point. Unless we get at least a 2nd I say ride out his last year. A 3rd is not worth 12+ mil in cap. For a team to give up a 2nd plus give him the 5 year 90 mil he wants would be pretty stupid for any GM really. Who is buying that? Jax? TB? Cleveland? lol

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I would agree with this.
    I only added one real player the rest are fod. I used 21-25 mil in cash tops. That fits.

Veteran
    I don't know what part of "Tebow sucks as a QB" you morons don't get. Sanchez is better than Tebow. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be starting. It's just that simple. I can't believe some of you people are even making this a discussion. The guy just isn't good. If you are so smart, tell me why hasn't he started to this point? If you honestly believe Rex is starting mark over Tim because he plays favorites, then you are really stupid. Rex is trying to save his job. If he thought Tim Tebow was a better option, he would be starting.

I'm not saying that Mark is good, but what I am saying is that he is a lot better than Tebow. Last year he took a team with no other option at QB to the playoffs. Yes, congrats! He did it with a great Defense, knowing that he didnt have to put up to many points to win. All he had to do was manage the offense. The Jets Do not have a defense to do this.

Let me reiterate this for all you knuckleheads: I am not a Sanchez sympathizer. I just believe he gives the jets the best chance to win. Plain and simple.
    I read an article on Tebow's contract. It said he has ridiculous escalators if he plays 45% of the O snaps. I think it was between 6-7 mill. That would not only make him too expensive for a backup, but too expensive to keep if it does work given Sanchez' cap hit. It also makes him less tradable. That's why they haven't used him very much in the O so far this year. The thinking (according to the article) is that they can safely start him the last 4-5 games and not take that hit. Therefore if he does work out, they can keep him, or showcase him for a trade maybe increasing his value. This logic refutes the "Rex is starting him (Sanchez) because he's the better QB and Rex is trying to save his job" logic. I'm not saying Tebow is better than Mark, but I'm not sure that is entirely why Tebow hasn't taken over after some of these abysmal showings.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Having success in college doesn't mean dick.

Matt Leinart is probably one of the Top 5 greatest college QB's in history. Hell, Tebow might even be the GOAT.

Doesn't mean anything.

There isn't a QB on our roster that has a future as a starter in this league.

Ride out this Sanchez debacle for the rest of the season to insure a Top 5 draft pick.

I could care less about winning 2-3 more meaningless games this season that would only serve to move us out of position to draft a bluechip prospect.

It's all about cleaning house and focusing on the draft at this point.
    Because college play directly relates to who you want to draft for your team. None of the potential 2013 draft picks suggested in this thread are losers. Sanchez, McElroy, and Tebow were drafted based on their college play. McElroy and Tebow were winners for more than 1 year in college, unlike Sanchez. It is reasonable to watch how they play for a couple of games before you write them off.

Um earth to jaxsuzy.... If it was that easy, Tebow would be in. Let me ask you this..... What do you see that apparently the entire organization doesn't?
    You mean the entire organization whose heads ya'll want on a platter? Nuf said. Now just relax - the files are IN the computer.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    It's rebuild time, boys and girls

Cuts/Cap Casualties
    Bart Scott
    Bryan Thomas
    Calvin Pace
    Dustin Keller (will ask for an arm and a leg, I'm high on Cumberland anyways)
    Sione Pouha
    Brandon Moore
    Kyle Wilson
    Mike Devito
    Austin Howard (T'was fun while it lasted)
    Eric Smith

Trades
    Do us all (including him) a favor and trade Tebow to the Jags for a 5th rounder
    Trade Revis to Detroit for a first in 2013 and a second in 2014
    Trade Greene somewhere for a early to mid round pick in 2014

Signings
    Re-Sign Landry, Schilens, Bell
    Sign G Deuce Luitui from Tennessee (RG)
    Sign T D'Anthony Batiste from Arizona (RT)
    Sign S Brodney Pool from Dallas
    Sign WR Braylon Edwards from Seattle

Draft
    1. LB Manti Te'o (ND): Absolute beast. Replaces Scott right away and moves Davis to his more natural outside position
    1 (from Detroit). QB EJ Manuel (FSU): He is the only QB I like in this draft. Built in the Griffin/Newton mold, which is the future of the QB position
    2. RB Le'Veon Bell (MSU): A younger and hopefully better Shonn Greene
    3. CB Desmond Trufant (Washigton): Wilson's time is up, and I really like Isaiah Trufant at the Nickel if if can stay healthy. Starts right away.
    4. G Alvin Bailey (Arkansas): Big boy at 6-5/315. Stashing bodies on the OL
    5. FB Zach Line (SMU): Hilliard not exactly cutting it for me
    5. (from Jaguars) T John Wetzel (BC): 6-7/308. See a recurring trend here?
    6. TE Joseph Fauria (UCLA): At 6-7, Gronk-like potential is possible
    7. DT Anthony McCloud (FSU): Depth pick on the D-line

Fire Tanny and hire Polian as a football czar. Fire Sparano and hire Jeff Tedford (former Cal HC -- coached Rodgers) as the new OC. Give Rex one last shot. Let Sanchez and Manuel battle it out for the QB job (Manuel most likely wins).

It won't be quick, but this team needs youth and a new direction.
    Don't know who half these guys are but Teo is the man. Speed and hard hitting. The only issue I do have is you have gutted the D-line and LB's and not replaced any of the depth.

who would have played god forbid the dirty Sanchize went down thurs ?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Because college play directly relates to who you want to draft for your team. None of the potential 2013 draft picks suggested in this thread are losers. Sanchez, McElroy, and Tebow were drafted based on their college play. McElroy and Tebow were winners for more than 1 year in college, unlike Sanchez. It is reasonable to watch how they play for a couple of games before you write them off.

You mean the entire organization whose heads ya'll want on a platter? Nuf said. Now just relax - the files are IN the computer.
    I suggest you and your Kmart Jaclyn Smith Collection outfit stick to topics that you know, because this isn't one of them

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Barkley is a better prospect then Stafford was sorry you lost me there. This is a good draft to take a QB. This isn't 2 years ago when QBs like Ponder and Gabbert are being pushed as blue chip prospects. There is actually 3 or even 4 QBs here with 1st round value. If you waiting for a Luck to drop in your lap that is a long wait for a bus that never shows up.
    Enough with the USC QB's already. They all suck!

Given the cap situation we were put in when the team went for broke a few seasons ago, it is not surprising where the team is at. They kept some players they believed would work, made deals that now have ramifications cap wise. Took a shot, missed.

What must be emphasized is this is NOT a 5-6 year rebuild. Nobody in the NFL has to do that, unless you have REALLY screwed your team up, which the Jets haven't. Here is a scenario that could work, as I am sure we will see more as people add to this thread.

A complete overhaul might happen. I can see Tanny getting fired, and possibly even Rex. The team should first off switch to a 4-3, given the talent we have there with Mo, Coples, Ellis, Pouha, and hopefully improvement with Harrison.

2013 Cuts
    Bart Scott: He will save $7.1 million and could be brought back for one more season at his dead money price of $1.5 million.
    Calvin Pace: Pace will save $8.3, and could be resigned for 1-2 years because he will count for $3 million dead money.
    Jason Smith: $12 million in full savings.
    Eric Smith: $3 million in full savings.

Trade
    Darrelle Revis. The arguments need to go out the window about Revis being our best player. The defense has shown well without him, and if your best player is a CB, you have bigger problems. Looking at the Vikings, they would fit well. Their CB play is okay, but Winnfield is getting old, and the Vikings HAVE to spend money next year to meet the new NFL collective agreement on Salary Cap floors. I also think it is a better value, in this draft, to get two picks for Revis. He is NOT going to get two #1's. People are dreaming if they think that. So the trade would be for Minnesota's #2 and #3 in this draft.

Resign
    Folk
    Landry
    Purdum
    Moore
    Howard
    Bell
    Trufant

Free Agent signings
    We will have little money, but there may be an opportunity to pick up a couple of guys.
    TE: Dallas Clark or Jarred Cook. Both could come at decent prices for different reasons.
    FS: Kerry Rhodes. Might come cheaper than expected.
    WR: Julian Edelman. This guy has talent, and can be used many different ways. With all the big names people will fight for next year, a guy like this could be signed to a VERY reasonable contract.
    G or S: Andy Levitre or Jarrus Byrd. These two might be pricey, but good talent in Buffalo. I would lean toward Levitre myself.

DRAFT
    Right now, it is projected we would be 7th overall. If that were the case, I would trade down from here in to the 12-15 range, given teams desire when they see the likes of Mingo, Joeckel, Banks, Barkley and Teo sitting there. I think a mid third is reasonable, given the chart is becoming more obsolete.

12: CJ Mosley-OLB 4/3. Perfect pick for a switch to 4/3
    38: Tyler Wilson QB. Many have him projected in this range given the season he is having. He would be a STEAL here, because this kid has talent.
    51 (pick from Minny from where they are projected): Desmond Trufant-CB. Solves two problems: Gives us an automatic starter across from Cromartie (and hopefully Berry will see the field more and Wilson less), and keeps him out of Patriots hands (where he is projected).
    69: Stepfan Taylor-RB. New starter, pure and simple.
    73 (from 1st round trade down): Chris Gragg-TE. We need to draft a new TE, and what better way to do it than pull a Colts move. Give Wilson a target he has known his whole career (ala Luck and Fleener).
    83 (Minny pick): Seantrel Henderson-RT. Howard has done well, but he would best serve as a back-up.
    101: Sean Porter-OLB 4-3. Two brand new linebackers to go with what we have.

I think, like Kerry Rhodes on this site, Sanchez is tradeable. Some team will think he was given a raw deal here with lack of talent, and try to resurrect his career. I think it might happen in 2014, given his contract.

Trade Sanchez.
    Santanio Holmes: His contract would save $8.2 million, but count $2.5 in dead money. Someone might be willing to trade though in this year, given the following year's contract status.
    David Harris: $5 million in savings, $2 million in dead money. He could be resigned, but his play does not warrant this contract.
    Antonio Cromartie: His contract is worth $10.7 million, but he will either be removed or renegotiated, given he has a $5 million roster bonus.
    Sione Pouha: Same here for Pouha. He is due $4.5 million roster bonus, and he won't be seeing it.
    Cutting Smith will not save the team 12 million, it is an option bonus that the team would have to pay in addition to what they are paying now for the player, that won't happen, but I would bet the team will try to bring him back with a restructure of his deal or a new deal.

I stopped reading when you suggested we should only expect a 2nd and a 3rd for Revis. LOL

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    We need to rebuild the Oline holding onto Mangold, Ferguson.
    Austin Howard is grading worse than Wayne Hunter, he needs to be cut, we need a quality RT. We need a clutch veteran WR and we need to draft a tightend.

On defense, our linebacking unit needs to be rebuilt and Kyle Wilson needs to go.

With so many holes, we clearly cannot afford to spend so much of the cap on Revis. We need that cap space and we need those picks, be they second rounders or worse.

Since there is no RG111 in this years draft, I would ask Sanchez to take a pay cut and have him compete against whomever next spring. Agreed Sanchez is hot garbage but he has been running for his life and has no one to throw a football to.
    The guy can't see an open receiver, period. He dosen't see the field. You can't teach that.

Mwahahahaha

I suggest you and your Kmart Jaclyn Smith Collection outfit stick to topics that you know, because this isn't one of them
    I can't help but like you - you know why. Now let's go to the d-a-y-e spa and have an orange mocha frappuccino!

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Don't know who half these guys are but Teo is the man. Speed and hard hitting. The only issue I do have is you have gutted the D-line and LB's and not replaced any of the depth.
    His whole thing doesn't make sense from part 1.

Cuts
    He is high on CUMBY!
    Cut Wilson why? It doesn't save anything and he is a good CB.
    Cut Howard why? His tenure is about 1 mil and he is at very least a good BU.

Trades
    How do we trade Greene when he will not be under contract?
    No one in there right mind with give up a 1st much less a 1st and a 2nd for a CB and pay him 80-100 mil a year. Detroit also doesn't have the cap for him as well. Not unless they hand us Suh.

Signs BE, Batiste, and Pool yeah that will help lol

That draft is a pipe dream IMO. No way Manti, Trufant, and Bailey all fall to us like that. If Manti makes it past Philly I'd be shocked. Even as an FSU fan I just can't get on the Manuel band wagon as a 1st but no way we have that 1st anyway. 2nd or 3rd round project but he isn't a 1st round day one starter. A bit early on Bell but I get it.

Missing Who are we starting at OLB in this?

All League
    I can't help but like you - you know why. Now let's go to the d-a-y-e spa and have an orange mocha frappuccino!
    Your like a sister to me. And when I say sister, I don't mean, like, an actual sister, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful I think.

All Pro
    I think the crow eaten here will taste bad.

This is not a catastrophic injury. He will be back, and someone will offer picks for him.....guaranteed. If the Jets are smart, they will listen. That is why I have a 2nd and a 3rd for him. If he plays the one year on his contract and is ridiculously bad, you took a shot at a player for a year. If he plays like he can, then someone will open the bank to him.
    Will he garner 2 first round picks? Absolutely not. But a 2nd and a 3rd is not out of the question.
    If you are not getting a one for him plus a 3rd, I would not do it.

All Pro
    His whole thing doesn't make sense from part 1.

Cuts
    He is high on CUMBY!
    Cut Wilson why? It doesn't save anything and he is a good CB.
    Cut Howard why? His tenure is about 1 mil and he is at very least a good BU.

Trades
    How do we trade Greene when he will not be under contract?
    No one in there right mind with give up a 1st much less a 1st and a 2nd for a CB and pay him 80-100 mil a year. Detroit also doesn't have the cap for him as well. Not unless they hand us Suh.

Signs BE, Batiste, and Pool yeah that will help lol

That draft is a pipe dream IMO. No way Manti, Trufant, and Bailey all fall to us like that. If Manti makes it past Philly I'd be shocked. Even as an FSU fan I just can't get on the Manuel band wagon as a 1st but no way we have that 1st anyway. 2nd or 3rd round project but he isn't a 1st round day one starter. A bit early on Bell but I get it.

Missing Who are we starting at OLB in this?
    Makes sense but if, after Revis proves himself healthy and back to normal, if we aren't getting a 1 + I am not trading the guy. Also, Wilson is not a good CB. The name "Toast" comes to mind. I was hoping for much better.

Your like a sister to me. And when I say sister, I don't mean, like, an actual sister, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful I think.
    LOLOLOL! Magnum, the ambiturner.

For the record after doing the math on that I do come up with exactly 29,06,635 mil in cap space just cutting the players over 500k that don't make my roster and a modest extension for Harris so yes very doable scenario. OK also assuming a Tebow trade. Someone will want him if we do not. Take 6 mil out for Rooks if you want they can find ways to stretch it out more then I can. These #s you keep coming up with are a joke we are not in cap hell. I'll admit not in great shape either but we can make modest moves.
    So the cap according to 2 owners will be 122 mill next year. The jets are 20 mill over the cap right now. They have 4 mill to carry over from this year. so that means they have to cut 14 mill just to get to the 122mil number. Your saying you can get them to 94mill for 28 mill of cap space.

140 mil
    -12 Smith
    128mill
    - 8.5 Pace
    119.5mill
    - 7.1 Scott
    - 3.0 Eric Smith
    - 3.8 Pouha
    - 1.5 Tebow
    104.1 total cap $ allocated

122 mil cap
    + 4 mil carryover from 2012
    126 mil total cap
    - 6 mill for the rookies
    120.mill cap figure
    - 104.1 allocated
    15.9 mill of cap space left.

This leaves 33 players on the roster after FA, the 6 players cut and Tebow being traded. You have to have 53 players on your roster June 1st and be under the 122,000 cap.

I now have the jets with 15.9 mill of cap space. You said that you can find another 12 mill,to make 28 mil total. Please share it with us. If you figure every single one of the 7 draft choices make the team you need to sign 13 more players to get to the 53 man roster. The minimum salary for a rookie is 405,000.

The minimum tender amount is now 1.8 mill there is no more 1 mill tender.
    Last edited by patman; 11-24-2012 at 04:46 PM.

All Pro
    It's rebuild time, boys and girls

Trades

Trade Revis to Detroit for a first in 2013 and a second in 2014 ???
    Trade Greene somewhere for a early to mid round pick in 2014
    psst, he's in his contract year, LOL

Signings

Re-Sign Landry, Schilens ???, Bell

Sign S Brodney Pool from Dallas
    Sign WR Braylon Edwards from Seattle

It won't be quick, but this team needs youth and a new direction.

It'll be less quick with Greene Pool and Edwards around

Jets Insider VIP
    Because college play directly relates to who you want to draft for your team. None of the potential 2013 draft picks suggested in this thread are losers. Sanchez, McElroy, and Tebow were drafted based on their college play. McElroy and Tebow were winners for more than 1 year in college, unlike Sanchez. It is reasonable to watch how they play for a couple of games before you write them off
    Teams draft players based on how well their skill set transitions to the pro game. Not how many games or championships they won in college.

No team was going to draft Tebow before the 3rd round. And most were looking at him as a versatile athlete, not a franchise QB. It's part of the reason Josh McDaniels got sh*t canned in Denver.

McElroy is severely limited physically and that's why he probably would've went undrafted if we didn't take a flyer on him in the 7th round. Hell, even he knows it. They had him as a guest on ESPN during his last year at Alabama. He said he wanted to be an analyst/broadcaster in the near future. Not way down the line, the NEAR future. He knows he's not a starting QB in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Teams draft players based on how well their skill set transitions to the pro game. Not how many games or championships they won in college.
    Didn't Cam Newton, RG3, and Andrew Luck have winning college records?

No team was going to draft Tebow before the 3rd round. And most were looking at him as a versatile athlete, not a franchise QB.
    That theory can never be proved or disproved unless we can take an excellent adventure back in time.

McElroy is severely limited physically and that's why he probably would've went undrafted if we didn't take a flyer on him in the 7th round. Hell, even he knows it. They had him as a guest on ESPN during his last year at Alabama. He said he wanted to be an analyst/broadcaster in the near future. Not way down the line, the NEAR future. He knows he's not a starting QB in this league.
    I didn't know that. That's pitiful. I don't know if he was being realistic or just has no fire.

Thanks for engaging in a fair convo with me. I get tired of Tebow being treated like the plague. At least your arguments are fact-based and not based on "feelings" LOL.