Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A rebuild scenario

All Pro

A rebuild scenario

Given the cap situation we were put in when the team went for broke a few seasons ago, it is not surprising where the team is at. They kept some players they believed would work, made deals that now have ramifications cap wise. Took a shot, missed.

What must be emphasized is this is NOT a 5-6 year rebuild. Nobody in the NFL has to do that, unless you have REALLY screwed your team up, which the Jets haven't. Here is a scenario that could work, as I am sure we will see more as people add to this thread.

A complete overhaul might happen. I can see Tanny getting fired, and possibly even Rex. The team should first off switch to a 4-3, given the talent we have there with Mo, Coples, Ellis, Pouha, and hopefully improvement with Harrison.

2013 Cuts
    Bart Scott: He will save $7.1 million and could be brought back for one more season at his dead money price of $1.5 million.
    Calvin Pace: Pace will save $8.3, and could be resigned for 1-2 years because he will count for $3 million dead money.
    Jason Smith: $12 million in full savings.
    Eric Smith: $3 million in full savings.

Trade
    Darrelle Revis. The arguments need to go out the window about Revis being our best player. The defense has shown well without him, and if your best player is a CB, you have bigger problems. Looking at the Vikings, they would fit well. Their CB play is okay, but Winnfield is getting old, and the Vikings HAVE to spend money next year to meet the new NFL collective agreement on Salary Cap floors. I also think it is a better value, in this draft, to get two picks for Revis. He is NOT going to get two #1's. People are dreaming if they think that. So the trade would be for Minnesota's #2 and #3 in this draft.

Resign
    Folk
    Landry
    Purdum
    Moore
    Howard
    Bell
    Trufant

Free Agent signings
    We will have little money, but there may be an opportunity to pick up a couple of guys.
    TE: Dallas Clark or Jarred Cook. Both could come at decent prices for different reasons.
    FS: Kerry Rhodes. Might come cheaper than expected.
    WR: Julian Edelman. This guy has talent, and can be used many different ways. With all the big names people will fight for next year, a guy like this could be signed to a VERY reasonable contract.
    G or S: Andy Levitre or Jarrus Byrd. These two might be pricey, but good talent in Buffalo. I would lean toward Levitre myself.

DRAFT
    Right now, it is projected we would be 7th overall. If that were the case, I would trade down from here in to the 12-15 range, given teams desire when they see the likes of Mingo, Joeckel, Banks, Barkley and Teo sitting there. I think a mid third is reasonable, given the chart is becoming more obsolete.

12: CJ Mosley-OLB 4/3. Perfect pick for a switch to 4/3
    38: Tyler Wilson QB. Many have him projected in this range given the season he is having. He would be a STEAL here, because this kid has talent.
    51 (pick from Minny from where they are projected): Desmond Trufant-CB. Solves two problems: Gives us an automatic starter across from Cromartie (and hopefully Berry will see the field more and Wilson less), and keeps him out of Patriots hands (where he is projected).
    69: Stepfan Taylor-RB. New starter, pure and simple.
    73 (from 1st round trade down): Chris Gragg-TE. We need to draft a new TE, and what better way to do it than pull a Colts move. Give Wilson a target he has known his whole career (ala Luck and Fleener).
    83 (Minny pick): Seantrel Henderson-RT. Howard has done well, but he would best serve as a back-up.
    101: Sean Porter-OLB 4-3. Two brand new linebackers to go with what we have.

I think, like Kerry Rhodes on this site, Sanchez is tradeable. Some team will think he was given a raw deal here with lack of talent, and try to resurrect his career. I think it might happen in 2014, given his contract.

Trade Sanchez.
    Santanio Holmes: His contract would save $8.2 million, but count $2.5 in dead money. Someone might be willing to trade though in this year, given the following year's contract status.
    David Harris: $5 million in savings, $2 million in dead money. He could be resigned, but his play does not warrant this contract.
    Antonio Cromartie: His contract is worth $10.7 million, but he will either be removed or renegotiated, given he has a $5 million roster bonus.
    Sione Pouha: Same here for Pouha. He is due $4.5 million roster bonus, and he won't be seeing it.
    Last edited by CanadaSteve; 11-23-2012 at 01:49 PM.

All Pro
    By the start of the 2014 season, with still free agency and another draft to go, we could have a depth chart like this:
    Qb: Wilson/Tebow/McCelroy
    RB: Wilson/Powell/McKnight
    WR: Holmes/Edelman/Hill/Kerley
    OL: Ferguson/Levitre/Mangold/Moore/Henderson
    TE: Clark-Cook/Gragg/Cumberland/Reutland

D-line: Coples/Ellis/Pouha/Harrison/Wilkerson
    LB: Mosley/Harris/Porter (Pace and Scott if resigned)

The one area not dealt with is Safety, other than resigning Bell and Landry. This I think would be of major focus for 2014 free agency and draft.

As of right now, the way salary cap and draft rankings/positions are as of today, this COULD be realistic.

FIRE AWAY

Veteran
    I absolutely hate Tyler Wilson.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    If you hate Tyler Wilson, pick someone else at 38 and then look at Tyler Bray. If we hate ALL the QB's next year, look at picking up either Alex Smith in a trade to start, or Campbell to push Sanchez, and then draft one in 2014.

The point is, this is NOT a 5-6 year rebuild.

2013 Cuts

Justin Smith: $12 million in full savings.

who?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    WR: Julian Edelman. This guy has talent, and can be used many different ways. With all the big names people will fight for next year, a guy like this could be signed to a VERY reasonable contract.
    I'd be surprised if he were on the market. No way the Pats lose both Edelman and Welker, and I'm pretty sure they prefer the former (particularly at his age and price) to the latter.

Band-Aid fixes.

LT, both Guard spots, QB, RB, WR (Hill should be a 3 or 4 until he shows some consistency catch the ball), TE (Keller isn't worth what he's going to ask for) on offense need looked at and upgraded if possible. Kerley's a #3, not a #2.

Unfortunately, Sanchez and Holmes are glued here for at least next season. You get to a point that it may be worth just having your cap reduced and dump both or just Holmes and eating the cap punishment.

It is vital to generate some good vibes with the fans and retaining either would not do that.

Defense:

D-line is OK, would be better with a true pass rusher. The idea of going to a 4-3 plays well with this personnel. Provided they can get a pass rusher.

Wilkerson, Ellis, and Coples provide hybrid DT/DE type players. There's no "elite" pass rusher amongst them though. I'd prefer to get a 320+ LB. DT to play nose then have Ellis play DT. Or keep DeVito. Pouha's probably done at this point.

All LB positions need revamped. Harris is, like Sanchez, probably stuck here, but he's not anywhere near the level of what he's paid.

CB: I like Trufant. He's a good Nickle guy. Lankster isn't bad. Wilson has to go, he's not worth the roster slot. Revis and Cro should end their careers here. I appreciate what you are trying to suggest in that trade scenario, but I don't think it's feasible to move Revis when his value is so low coming off an ACL at a speed position and get a legit equal return.

Lankster isn't a bad dime guy.

S: Both are very good, imo. Landry's a Pro-Bowler, but odds are he gets a contract and then says his Achilles' has flared up and gives you 6-8 games for the next 3-4 years. His pay will be extremely high and this team can't invest any more massive contracts into the secondary.

Keep Bell, offer a 1-2 year deal to Landry, but you can't blow the bank on him, despite him largely being the best player on the team this year next to Wilkerson.

A bad GM will throw him what he's asking and set back the Safety position for years as his Achilles' is not 100% healthy.

Erik Smith has to go. Absolutely has to.

Special Teams:

Both Malone and Folk can be improved upon.

All of this needs looked at:

TL;DR Team needs:
    Head Coach
    GM

The entire coaching/management regime basically

QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, DE, DT/NG, OLB, OLB, MLB, DB, S, K, P

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    2013 Cuts

Justin Smith: $12 million in full savings.

who?
    Sorry, you caught that before I changed it

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Band-Aid fixes.
    As stated, I think this is a bit SOJF to think we need this much change. We don't.

LT, both Guard spots, QB, RB, WR (Hill should be a 3 or 4 until he shows some consistency catch the ball), TE (Keller isn't worth what he's going to ask for) on offense need looked at and upgraded if possible. Kerley's a #3, not a #2.

Unfortunately, Sanchez and Holmes are glued here for at least next season. You get to a point that it may be worth just having your cap reduced and dump both or just Holmes and eating the cap punishment.

It is vital to generate some good vibes with the fans and retaining either would not do that.
    Again, I have a QB and RB drafted high, and a SOLID WR picked in Free agency. Holmes is back next season, and Hill would be a #3. Sanchez will be traded either next year or year after, and Holmes will be gone after next season.
    Defense:

D-line is OK, would be better with a true pass rusher. The idea of going to a 4-3 plays well with this personnel. Provided they can get a pass rusher.

Wilkerson, Ellis, and Coples provide hybrid DT/DE type players. There's no "elite" pass rusher amongst them though. I'd prefer to get a 320+ LB. DT to play nose then have Ellis play DT. Or keep DeVito. Pouha's probably done at this point.
    Wilkerson and Coples have been applying pressure themselves. With a rebuilt linebacking core, they would be fine. It is not pressing next year. However, in 2014 another d-lineman would be advisable.

All LB positions need revamped. Harris is, like Sanchez, probably stuck here, but he's not anywhere near the level of what he's paid.
    And they are: Two new OLB's with Davis seeing more time split with Harris.

CB: I like Trufant. He's a good Nickle guy. Lankster isn't bad. Wilson has to go, he's not worth the roster slot. Revis and Cro should end their careers here. I appreciate what you are trying to suggest in that trade scenario, but I don't think it's feasible to move Revis when his value is so low coming off an ACL at a speed position and get a legit equal return.

Lankster isn't a bad dime guy.
    Revis cannot end his career as a Jet, unless you want more cap problems in the future. You cannot tie up as much money in a CB as Revis wants.

S: Both are very good, imo. Landry's a Pro-Bowler, but odds are he gets a contract and then says his Achilles' has flared up and gives you 6-8 games for the next 3-4 years. His pay will be extremely high and this team can't invest any more massive contracts into the secondary.

Keep Bell, offer a 1-2 year deal to Landry, but you can't blow the bank on him, despite him largely being the best player on the team this year next to Wilkerson.

A bad GM will throw him what he's asking and set back the Safety position for years as his Achilles' is not 100% healthy.

Erik Smith has to go. Absolutely has to.
    Smith is gone next year (if Rex is gone), and Bell would be resigned. Landry I would resign if he doesn't want the bank broke open. If not, a safety would need to be drafted somewhere in those first five picks.

Both Malone and Folk can be improved upon.
    Why? Both have been money....

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    +infinity, I keep watching Arkansas to see what the big deal is, but the dude reminds me of Sanchez, undersized and bad decision making.

If we pick a QB in round 2, I would prefer Glennon, Bray or even Nassib later on in the draft.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I'd be surprised if he were on the market. No way the Pats lose both Edelman and Welker, and I'm pretty sure they prefer the former (particularly at his age and price) to the latter.
    And fair enough if they can't get him. Here is a PARTIAL list of who is available next year:
    Wes Welker
    Julian Edelman
    Danny Amendola
    Dwayne Bowe
    Braylon Edwards
    Joshua Cribbs
    Victor Cruz (Restricted)
    Devery Henderson
    Gregg Jennings
    Johnny Knox
    Stephen E. Smith
    Randy Moss
    Brandon Stokely
    Devon Thomas
    Mike Wallace
    Antonio Brown (Restricted)
    Malcolm Floyd
    Kevin Ogletree

There is at least ONE on that least that could fill in as a #2 on this team. Someone that could free up Holmes. I still think Holmes should split his contract with Braylon Edwards, because it was the attention Braylon warranted that helped Holmes out so much. We have seen what lacking a #2 receiver has done to Holmes' game.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    +infinity, I keep watching Arkansas to see what the big deal is, but the dude reminds me of Sanchez, undersized and bad decision making.

If we pick a QB in round 2, I would prefer Glennon, Bray or even Nassib later on in the draft.
    I had Tyler Bray going lower for us initially, but I am not sold on everyone saying Wilson is as bad as he is....If that is the case, then we switch him out with perhaps Chase Thomas and go OLB in the first two picks. There are receivers at 38 as well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I had Tyler Bray going lower for us initially, but I am not sold on everyone saying Wilson is as bad as he is....If that is the case, then we switch him out with perhaps Chase Thomas and go OLB in the first two picks. There are receivers at 38 as well.
    What about EJ Manuel? Of course, whoever we draft, we need to immediately put on IR till the end of 2013. That way Rex and company dont mess him up. Our salary cap crisis is over after next season. That way we may be more attractive to an incoming GM and HC.

Looking at Manuel, he has improved dramatically ove rthe course of two seasons. Maybe Ive been blinded by the terrible QB mess that we have dealt with over the last decade shy of one year of Favre, but I think Manuel has a lower bust facter than both Wilson and Bray.

OT would be a good idea for our first too. Austin Howard is better than Wayne Hunter, but that doesn't make him good.

I don't want us to go QB, I'm just too scared of what a first rounder/Sanchez/Tebow depth chart would do to me.

It's rebuild time, boys and girls

Cuts/Cap Casualties
    Bart Scott
    Bryan Thomas
    Calvin Pace
    Dustin Keller (will ask for an arm and a leg, I'm high on Cumberland anyways)
    Sione Pouha
    Brandon Moore
    Kyle Wilson
    Mike Devito
    Austin Howard (T'was fun while it lasted)
    Eric Smith

Trades
    Do us all (including him) a favor and trade Tebow to the Jags for a 5th rounder
    Trade Revis to Detroit for a first in 2013 and a second in 2014
    Trade Greene somewhere for a early to mid round pick in 2014

Signings
    Re-Sign Landry, Schilens, Bell
    Sign G Deuce Luitui from Tennessee (RG)
    Sign T D'Anthony Batiste from Arizona (RT)
    Sign S Brodney Pool from Dallas
    Sign WR Braylon Edwards from Seattle

Draft
    1. LB Manti Te'o (ND): Absolute beast. Replaces Scott right away and moves Davis to his more natural outside position
    1 (from Detroit). QB EJ Manuel (FSU): He is the only QB I like in this draft. Built in the Griffin/Newton mold, which is the future of the QB position
    2. RB Le'Veon Bell (MSU): A younger and hopefully better Shonn Greene
    3. CB Desmond Trufant (Washigton): Wilson's time is up, and I really like Isaiah Trufant at the Nickel if if can stay healthy. Starts right away.
    4. G Alvin Bailey (Arkansas): Big boy at 6-5/315. Stashing bodies on the OL
    5. FB Zach Line (SMU): Hilliard not exactly cutting it for me
    5. (from Jaguars) T John Wetzel (BC): 6-7/308. See a recurring trend here?
    6. TE Joseph Fauria (UCLA): At 6-7, Gronk-like potential is possible
    7. DT Anthony McCloud (FSU): Depth pick on the D-line

Fire Tanny and hire Polian as a football czar. Fire Sparano and hire Jeff Tedford (former Cal HC -- coached Rodgers) as the new OC. Give Rex one last shot. Let Sanchez and Manuel battle it out for the QB job (Manuel most likely wins).

It won't be quick, but this team needs youth and a new direction.

All League
    worst thing to happen to this franchise is Tim Tebow. nothing against the guy, but he isn't even good enough to be a backup.... I just don't get some peoples infatuation with this guy. He cannot play QB in a traditional NFL offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    worst thing to happen to this franchise is Tim Tebow. nothing against the guy, but he isn't even good enough to be a backup.... I just don't get some peoples infatuation with this guy. He cannot play QB in a traditional NFL offense.
    Total and sheer and utter baloney. Anyone that really thinks that Tebow has any appreciable effect of this team is either trying to deflect blame from those who deserve it or a dunder head.

Tebow has hardly played.
    Tebow has said nothing to incite or be a bad locker room guy.
    He's been a total non factor with this team, good or bad.

Put Tebow as a problem in line he deserves to be an that is about at #49 out of a list of 50 major problems.

All League
    Total and sheer and utter baloney. Anyone that really thinks that Tebow has any appreciable effect of this team is either trying to deflect blame from those who deserve it or a dunder head.

Tebow has hardly played.

Put Tebow as a problem in line he deserves to be an that is about at #49 out of a list of 50 major problems.
    Your dumb. I never said he had any affect on this team whatsoever. I simply said he is the worst thing to happen to this team. He had zero reason to be on this team. None at all. He doesn't fit.

Him being here causes problems. They shouldn't. These guys are professionals, but it causes problems. His signing was so unnecessary. If you can't see that. Then you are really dumb. End of story.

The only "rebuild" scenario that matters to me :

DRAFT A QB EVERY STINKING YEAR UNTIL WE HAVE A FRIGGIN' FRANCHISE QB!!! ENOUGH OF THIS GARBAGE!

Tebow has hardly played.

That's right Beerfish. I don't understand how the majority of Jets fans have decided that Tebow's no good when (a) he beat Sanchez last year and (b) he hasn't gotten to start an entire series of plays this season, much less a whole quarter or a whole game.

I'm starting to believe that the only thing that would convince Jets fans to believe in the Jets backup QB is something like the R. Kelly jury selection skit from the Chappelle Show:

Prosecutor: Mr. Chappelle, what would it take to convince you that R. Kelly is guilty?

Dave Chappelle: Okay, I'd have to see a video of him singing "Pee On You," two forms of government ID, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five of my buddies and Neal taking notes, and R. Kelly's grandma to confirm his identity.

R. Kelly's Grandma: That's my Robert, always peeing on people.
    If you know what I mean.