Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A rebuild scenario

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Barkley is a better prospect then Stafford was sorry you lost me there. This is a good draft to take a QB. This isn't 2 years ago when QBs like Ponder and Gabbert are being pushed as blue chip prospects. There is actually 3 or even 4 QBs here with 1st round value. If you waiting for a Luck to drop in your lap that is a long wait for a bus that never shows up.
    Barkley's from USC. If you want to draft ANOTHER USC QB after the past 4 years with this clown, then God help you.

Leinart, Sanchez, Palmer, and Cassell are all hot stinky garbage.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Want to watch Kevin Hogan from Stanford again tomorrow. He looked real good against Oregon, but I think UCLA will be a better test. In 3 years he might be an Andrew Luck type.

In the meantime, I wouldn't mind EJ Manuel in the second.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Barkley's from USC. If you want to draft ANOTHER USC QB after the past 4 years with this clown, then God help you.

I agree on all those names and more but Barkley is the best USC QB prospect. He is not just USC hype he really is a good QB. If a crap history or other QBs from that college is all you got sorry I just don't see why we should pass if we have a shot. Which quite honestly we don't. No way he makes it down to us regardless. If I listed all the top prospects of the last ten years he'd be in my top 10 easy. No other USC QB has ever gotten any respect from me. That is how much I like his playing style. Go back and watch the games with him and Luck. Those where the best QB battles in ages.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Given the cap situation we were put in when the team went for broke a few seasons ago, it is not surprising where the team is at. They kept some players they believed would work, made deals that now have ramifications cap wise. Took a shot, missed.

What must be emphasized is this is NOT a 5-6 year rebuild. Nobody in the NFL has to do that, unless you have REALLY screwed your team up, which the Jets haven't. Here is a scenario that could work, as I am sure we will see more as people add to this thread.

A complete overhaul might happen. I can see Tanny getting fired, and possibly even Rex. The team should first off switch to a 4-3, given the talent we have there with Mo, Coples, Ellis, Pouha, and hopefully improvement with Harrison.

2013 Cuts
    Bart Scott: He will save $7.1 million and could be brought back for one more season at his dead money price of $1.5 million.
    Calvin Pace: Pace will save $8.3, and could be resigned for 1-2 years because he will count for $3 million dead money.
    Jason Smith: $12 million in full savings.
    Eric Smith: $3 million in full savings.

Trade
    Darrelle Revis. The arguments need to go out the window about Revis being our best player. The defense has shown well without him, and if your best player is a CB, you have bigger problems. Looking at the Vikings, they would fit well. Their CB play is okay, but Winnfield is getting old, and the Vikings HAVE to spend money next year to meet the new NFL collective agreement on Salary Cap floors. I also think it is a better value, in this draft, to get two picks for Revis. He is NOT going to get two #1's. People are dreaming if they think that. So the trade would be for Minnesota's #2 and #3 in this draft.

Resign
    Folk
    Landry
    Purdum
    Moore
    Howard
    Bell
    Trufant

Free Agent signings
    We will have little money, but there may be an opportunity to pick up a couple of guys.
    TE: Dallas Clark or Jarred Cook. Both could come at decent prices for different reasons.
    FS: Kerry Rhodes. Might come cheaper than expected.
    WR: Julian Edelman. This guy has talent, and can be used many different ways. With all the big names people will fight for next year, a guy like this could be signed to a VERY reasonable contract.
    G or S: Andy Levitre or Jarrus Byrd. These two might be pricey, but good talent in Buffalo. I would lean toward Levitre myself.

DRAFT
    Right now, it is projected we would be 7th overall. If that were the case, I would trade down from here in to the 12-15 range, given teams desire when they see the likes of Mingo, Joeckel, Banks, Barkley and Teo sitting there. I think a mid third is reasonable, given the chart is becoming more obsolete.

12: CJ Mosley-OLB 4/3. Perfect pick for a switch to 4/3
    38: Tyler Wilson QB. Many have him projected in this range given the season he is having. He would be a STEAL here, because this kid has talent.
    51 (pick from Minny from where they are projected): Desmond Trufant-CB. Solves two problems: Gives us an automatic starter across from Cromartie (and hopefully Berry will see the field more and Wilson less), and keeps him out of Patriots hands (where he is projected).
    69: Stepfan Taylor-RB. New starter, pure and simple.
    73 (from 1st round trade down): Chris Gragg-TE. We need to draft a new TE, and what better way to do it than pull a Colts move. Give Wilson a target he has known his whole career (ala Luck and Fleener).
    83 (Minny pick): Seantrel Henderson-RT. Howard has done well, but he would best serve as a back-up.
    101: Sean Porter-OLB 4-3. Two brand new linebackers to go with what we have.

I think, like Kerry Rhodes on this site, Sanchez is tradeable. Some team will think he was given a raw deal here with lack of talent, and try to resurrect his career. I think it might happen in 2014, given his contract.

Trade Sanchez.
    Santanio Holmes: His contract would save $8.2 million, but count $2.5 in dead money. Someone might be willing to trade though in this year, given the following year's contract status.
    David Harris: $5 million in savings, $2 million in dead money. He could be resigned, but his play does not warrant this contract.
    Antonio Cromartie: His contract is worth $10.7 million, but he will either be removed or renegotiated, given he has a $5 million roster bonus.
    Sione Pouha: Same here for Pouha. He is due $4.5 million roster bonus, and he won't be seeing it.
    We are going to take a number 2 and 3 for the best cornerback in football. What are you smoking. Thats giving him away.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

I keep watching the video in your sig and I still cant believe someone would slide directly into another lineman's a$$. I dont want to go to work on monday because of that.

I shouldnt of ran my mouth before the season started.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can look at pretty much every unit on our team (QB, running backs, O-line, WRs, linebackers, D-line, specials) and say that even if it does really well next year, it won't be much better than average.

I want us to keep Revis so that we can actually be good at something. After injury's not the right time to sell unless we have proof he can't go like he used to anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    It's rebuild time, boys and girls

Cuts/Cap Casualties
    Bart Scott
    Bryan Thomas
    Calvin Pace
    Dustin Keller (will ask for an arm and a leg, I'm high on Cumberland anyways)
    Sione Pouha
    Brandon Moore
    Kyle Wilson
    Mike Devito
    Austin Howard (T'was fun while it lasted)
    Eric Smith

Trades
    Do us all (including him) a favor and trade Tebow to the Jags for a 5th rounder
    Trade Revis to Detroit for a first in 2013 and a second in 2014
    Trade Greene somewhere for a early to mid round pick in 2014

Signings
    Re-Sign Landry, Schilens, Bell
    Sign G Deuce Luitui from Tennessee (RG)
    Sign T D'Anthony Batiste from Arizona (RT)
    Sign S Brodney Pool from Dallas
    Sign WR Braylon Edwards from Seattle

Draft
    1. LB Manti Te'o (ND): Absolute beast. Replaces Scott right away and moves Davis to his more natural outside position
    1 (from Detroit). QB EJ Manuel (FSU): He is the only QB I like in this draft. Built in the Griffin/Newton mold, which is the future of the QB position
    2. RB Le'Veon Bell (MSU): A younger and hopefully better Shonn Greene
    3. CB Desmond Trufant (Washigton): Wilson's time is up, and I really like Isaiah Trufant at the Nickel if if can stay healthy. Starts right away.
    4. G Alvin Bailey (Arkansas): Big boy at 6-5/315. Stashing bodies on the OL
    5. FB Zach Line (SMU): Hilliard not exactly cutting it for me
    5. (from Jaguars) T John Wetzel (BC): 6-7/308. See a recurring trend here?
    6. TE Joseph Fauria (UCLA): At 6-7, Gronk-like potential is possible
    7. DT Anthony McCloud (FSU): Depth pick on the D-line

Fire Tanny and hire Polian as a football czar. Fire Sparano and hire Jeff Tedford (former Cal HC -- coached Rodgers) as the new OC. Give Rex one last shot. Let Sanchez and Manuel battle it out for the QB job (Manuel most likely wins).

It won't be quick, but this team needs youth and a new direction.
    Can't cut Kyle...too much dead money right now. I think you see Pace and/or Scott back in a diminished roll as a roll player since they have to be paid anyway.
    NO way Fauria lasts until round six. I was going to take him in round 3. Like what you have done though. If we stayed put Teo would be good because it gives us a solid guy in the middle, and gets us a OLB by moving Davis out there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Jetsfan95, No team is going to trade anything of value for Revis this off season. The guy is coming off ACL surgery and won't be ready to work out until after the draft.

Plus the Lions of all teams, The Lions are one of the most cap strapped teams next year. No one is going to trade for revis without signing him long term and nobody is going to sign him long term without seeing him play again.

Shon Greene is a FA, he can not be traded any why would anyone do so?

No one is going to trade you anything for Tebow, The jets ruined any value that he may have had.

Austin Howard is worth the 1.8mill tender.

Your FA are reasonable considering the cap
    Revis would garner a low 1st or two picks like I have....bank on it. He is the best in the league, and ACL injuries are pretty much a time a dozen now. He has never had a significant injury (Hamstring aside). He could garner what has been suggested here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see any of this as rebuild but this would be my projected roster for next year.

QB Tyler Wilson, Sanchez, Byron Leftwich - They will do what they sould have done this year get a viable vet. Only now they pretty much need to take a 1st rounder too. I can see an open 3 way comp here. F that the only way he will learn is on the field BS Rex fed us with Mark.

RB Darren McFadden, Powell, McKnight - Oakland will likely be looking to move McFadden for cap reasons. He sucks but is still better then Powell. They may need a BU QB so Tebow maybe enough IMO.

TE Keller, DJ Jefferson, Konrad Reuland - I think we need to wrap Keller back up really. We may have to overpay but he is scores better then any other option. I do like some of the late round TE in the draft but I wouldn't hang my hopes on them. Konrad also should get a pass IMO.

WR1 Holmes, Hill, Gates
    WR2 Kerley, Joshua Cribbs
    We are in pretty good shape at WR IMO. Gates may be back but Ginn and Cribbs are both ST studs we should look at IMO. If we can get one of them I am all in. Cribbs is much better value and more likely to leave his team really.

OT DBrick, Howard, Rick Wagner
    OG Moore, Vlad, Uzzi
    OC Mangold, Caleb

We have a pretty solid line. Slauson Leaving is no big deal but Moore is getting old. If we can land Uzzi and Wagner I really think they make this line even better long term.

DE Wilk, Coples, Trevor Laws
    Dont know why this team hate Dixon and Richards but they do. Laws fits the team and will likely be had cheap. IF he can pass a physical worth a roster spot. If not bring one of those guys back or Kenyon Coleman if he is cheap enough.

NT Ellis, Harrison
    They did fine when Pauho was out. NT hasn't been a weakness IMO.

OLB Cornellius Carradine, Anthony Spencer, Garrett McIntyre, Devin Taylor
    The biggest need. Make a play for Spencer if he doesn't get tagged IMO. Either way this is where we need to spend any money we do have. Go for the best OLB and draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round. Also one in later rounds as well. Really just hit this area with everything ya got. I don't even care if it is trading Revis for one.

ILB Harris, Davis, Bellore, Greg Blair
    Davis will need to step up next year. I think we add anther late rounder here as well but I don't see us going crazy. We are pretty invested here already. Once Scott is gone it is more addition by subtraction IMO.

CB Revis, Cro, Wilson, Leon McFadden, Lancaster
    Our strongest area. Revis or Cro is likely gone but for the sake of this I am leaving them in. I can see a mid/late round CB drafted only because one of them will likely be gone though. I like Lancaster, Donnie Fletcher, and Berry so even that is hard for me to admit. McFadden though will be great value in mid/late rounds

S Landry, Bush, Allen, Bell
    Hoping we can kick Smith and promote Allen but otherwise stand pat.

ST Rob Bironas, Malone, Purdum,
    We need to stick with a P for more then a year or 2 so bring Malone back but find a viable K already. Folk is OK but Rob is much better. Purdum yeah whatever. If we have a shop at a good BU C in the draft maybe replace him but I really don't have a complaint here. I'd just like to see Caleb back at G next year.
    This might work if there was no salary cap in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    We are going to take a number 2 and 3 for the best cornerback in football. What are you smoking. Thats giving him away.
    We can't afford him, and there is no chance we get anything more than a first for him. Anybody who thinks otherwise is smoking stuff.

I think it better to get two players out of the top 100 then just one high 1st.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to rebuild the Oline holding onto Mangold, Ferguson.
    Austin Howard is grading worse than Wayne Hunter, he needs to be cut, we need a quality RT. We need a clutch veteran WR and we need to draft a tightend.

On defense, our linebacking unit needs to be rebuilt and Kyle Wilson needs to go.

With so many holes, we clearly cannot afford to spend so much of the cap on Revis. We need that cap space and we need those picks, be they second rounders or worse.

Since there is no RG111 in this years draft, I would ask Sanchez to take a pay cut and have him compete against whomever next spring. Agreed Sanchez is hot garbage but he has been running for his life and has no one to throw a football to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given the cap situation we were put in when the team went for broke a few seasons ago, it is not surprising where the team is at. They kept some players they believed would work, made deals that now have ramifications cap wise. Took a shot, missed.

What must be emphasized is this is NOT a 5-6 year rebuild. Nobody in the NFL has to do that, unless you have REALLY screwed your team up, which the Jets haven't. Here is a scenario that could work, as I am sure we will see more as people add to this thread.

A complete overhaul might happen. I can see Tanny getting fired, and possibly even Rex. The team should first off switch to a 4-3, given the talent we have there with Mo, Coples, Ellis, Pouha, and hopefully improvement with Harrison.

2013 Cuts
    Bart Scott: He will save $7.1 million and could be brought back for one more season at his dead money price of $1.5 million.
    Calvin Pace: Pace will save $8.3, and could be resigned for 1-2 years because he will count for $3 million dead money.
    Jason Smith: $12 million in full savings.
    Eric Smith: $3 million in full savings.

Trade
    Darrelle Revis. The arguments need to go out the window about Revis being our best player. The defense has shown well without him, and if your best player is a CB, you have bigger problems. Looking at the Vikings, they would fit well. Their CB play is okay, but Winnfield is getting old, and the Vikings HAVE to spend money next year to meet the new NFL collective agreement on Salary Cap floors. I also think it is a better value, in this draft, to get two picks for Revis. He is NOT going to get two #1's. People are dreaming if they think that. So the trade would be for Minnesota's #2 and #3 in this draft.

Resign
    Folk
    Landry
    Purdum
    Moore
    Howard
    Bell
    Trufant

Free Agent signings
    We will have little money, but there may be an opportunity to pick up a couple of guys.
    TE: Dallas Clark or Jarred Cook. Both could come at decent prices for different reasons.
    FS: Kerry Rhodes. Might come cheaper than expected.
    WR: Julian Edelman. This guy has talent, and can be used many different ways. With all the big names people will fight for next year, a guy like this could be signed to a VERY reasonable contract.
    G or S: Andy Levitre or Jarrus Byrd. These two might be pricey, but good talent in Buffalo. I would lean toward Levitre myself.

DRAFT
    Right now, it is projected we would be 7th overall. If that were the case, I would trade down from here in to the 12-15 range, given teams desire when they see the likes of Mingo, Joeckel, Banks, Barkley and Teo sitting there. I think a mid third is reasonable, given the chart is becoming more obsolete.

12: CJ Mosley-OLB 4/3. Perfect pick for a switch to 4/3
    38: Tyler Wilson QB. Many have him projected in this range given the season he is having. He would be a STEAL here, because this kid has talent.
    51 (pick from Minny from where they are projected): Desmond Trufant-CB. Solves two problems: Gives us an automatic starter across from Cromartie (and hopefully Berry will see the field more and Wilson less), and keeps him out of Patriots hands (where he is projected).
    69: Stepfan Taylor-RB. New starter, pure and simple.
    73 (from 1st round trade down): Chris Gragg-TE. We need to draft a new TE, and what better way to do it than pull a Colts move. Give Wilson a target he has known his whole career (ala Luck and Fleener).
    83 (Minny pick): Seantrel Henderson-RT. Howard has done well, but he would best serve as a back-up.
    101: Sean Porter-OLB 4-3. Two brand new linebackers to go with what we have.

I think, like Kerry Rhodes on this site, Sanchez is tradeable. Some team will think he was given a raw deal here with lack of talent, and try to resurrect his career. I think it might happen in 2014, given his contract.

Trade Sanchez.
    Santanio Holmes: His contract would save $8.2 million, but count $2.5 in dead money. Someone might be willing to trade though in this year, given the following year's contract status.
    David Harris: $5 million in savings, $2 million in dead money. He could be resigned, but his play does not warrant this contract.
    Antonio Cromartie: His contract is worth $10.7 million, but he will either be removed or renegotiated, given he has a $5 million roster bonus.
    Sione Pouha: Same here for Pouha.
    He is due $4.5 million roster bonus, and he won't be seeing it.
    No we need to rebuild no good FA is coming here as long as Rex is coach. They see what a clusterfluck we are and will not want any part of it. They also see how bad suckchez is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont know what to say to that. We really don't have the cap next year for a rebuild so your out of luck I guess. I like the youth we have so to me that looks pretty good in one of those QBs actually can play average ball.

edit I honestly think that may cost too much for us lol
    Picking up all those players is not even remotely feasible given the cap constraints.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look around the league at how bad some really good teams have looked with their backups in. Steelers look like a joke now. Chicago looked horrible on O and D with Campbell in there. Its easy to criticize all aspects of the team right now in this debacle of a season but the reality is that it starts and ends with Sanchez. He stinks and the rest of the team follows suit. If there is a franchize type QB available in the draft the team needs to do whatever it takes to get him. If not Seattle should be looking to dump Flynn and his contract. Grab him for next season and dump Sanchez, then we see what happens. If it takes trading Revis to get a pick to grab a QB in the draft then do it. If not keep the guy. Either way the D is not the problem. Obviously Greene needs to be upgraded but that position isn't what is killing the team. WR's can use a boost but that isn't what is killing us either. Sanchez complete suckitude is the culprit.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a 2-3 year rebuild, not that we can't be competitive. The reason for this in my eyes, is there is no sure thing QB in this years draft class. This is probably a draft we should build around the QB. Get some quality pieces this year and look at the 2014 draft class for a QB. Everything points to Sanchez being back next year. Draft BPAs on offense the first 4-5 rounds and hope that a couple are at skill positions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    This is a 2-3 year rebuild, not that we can't be competitive. The reason for this in my eyes, is there is no sure thing QB in this years draft class. This is probably a draft we should build around the QB. Get some quality pieces this year and look at the 2014 draft class for a QB. Everything points to Sanchez being back next year. Draft BPAs on offense the first 4-5 rounds and hope that a couple are at skill positions.
    I think this is a good time to focus on the defensive side of the ball for key areas, and then fix three holes on offense: G, RT, RB. I can understand the argument for not wanting to draft a QB this year, so I would fill those holes, and then look at finding WR`s and TE`s that will suite whoever we draft. I mean, does it matter who is protecting the QB, so long as they can keep him off his ass, or does it matter who is running the rock

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all that has been said, and we DON`T draft a qb this year (and using my hypothetical trades):
    12 (trade down from 7): CJ Mosley OLB 4-3
    38: Chase Thomas OLB 4-3
    51 (trade with Minny for Revis): Desmond Trufant CB
    69: Robert Lester FS
    73: (roughly for the trade down in first round): Stepfan Taylor RB
    83 (trade with Minny for Revis): Seantrell Henderson ROT
    101: Travis Frederick OG

Again, this is just to show that by using a high pick this year and moving down a few spots, and by using our biggest asset in Revis, there is 7 solid football players that would help turn this roster around quickly (in just the first 4 rounds). Having three more picks for depth here, and one can see we will not need to spend a lot in free agency (which we can`t this year anyway).
    With a smart draft in 2014, and solid FA signings, we would be competitive again by 2014.
    The team swung for the fences in Rex`first two years and missed. Time to rid the contracts, rebuild, and be ready for 2014.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all that has been said, and we DON`T draft a qb this year (and using my hypothetical trades):
    12 (trade down from 7): CJ Mosley OLB 4-3
    38: Chase Thomas OLB 4-3
    51 (trade with Minny for Revis): Desmond Trufant CB
    69: Robert Lester FS
    73: (roughly for the trade down in first round): Stepfan Taylor RB
    83 (trade with Minny for Revis): Seantrell Henderson ROT
    101: Travis Frederick OG

Again, this is just to show that by using a high pick this year and moving down a few spots, and by using our biggest asset in Revis, there is 7 solid football players that would help turn this roster around quickly (in just the first 4 rounds). Having three more picks for depth here, and one can see we will not need to spend a lot in free agency (which we can`t this year anyway).
    With a smart draft in 2014, and solid FA signings, we would be competitive again by 2014.
    The team swung for the fences in Rex`first two years and missed. Time to rid the contracts, rebuild, and be ready for 2014.
    First, we can easily afford Revis after the 2013 season. We have $95 M committed which will be at least $25M under the cap. then take into account this figure includes $40 M in contracts that will be cut (Sanchez, Scott, Holmes, Pouha, and Cromartie). We will have around $60 Miliion to rebuild with/resign Revis.
    For this reason, and this reason alone, I think it was Woody's intention not to make a front office or HC change this off season. He may get his wish. The teams we play down the stretch are very bad. AZ will probably have a 7 game losing streak and Jax is probably the second worst team in the league. Now if Chad Heene plays like he and the Jags did last week, and we implode on Monday night football again, it may force Woody's hand.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    You are right, I don't know. I am sort of basing what I am saying on the fact that Tim Tebow IS a back up QB for the New York Jets. In no way did I attack Tim Tebow... Lol.

I simply said, that Tim Tebow is by far what the Jets needed. He does not fit. You will not find to many people here or anywhere that think he fits this team. I as well want the best QB to play and win. Tebow is not good enough to start. If he was, he would. If you think Rex is just starting Sanchez for no reason, you are really stupid.

News flash "pally", Tim Tebow is not good! For gods sakes, I wish he was, but he isn't. It shocks me that you can't see this. You apparently have no clue. It's just that simple. End of story.
    Are you kidding? You still trust Rex's judgment at this point? You think his stubborn commitment to Sanchez is logical? Or maybe you just "feel" Sanchez is better than his backups?

Both Tebow AND McElroy had more successful college careers than "the Golden one" and should be given a chance with this team. Tebow had a successful season last year in the NFL with a better record than assclown. He is tough and played for YOU last week even though his ribs were broken.

You say Tebow doesn't fit with this team? Maybe cuz he's not a loser. YOU have no clue as you haven't seen either Tebow OR McElroy play a game for the Jets yet you dismiss them out of hand.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Picking up all those players is not even remotely feasible given the cap constraints.
    Nah is is doable just cutting it close. Say 26-28 mil on FA which is doable. We can pull that it just doesn't leave a lot left over. But Spencer is a pipe dream. More then likely we end up with a much lesser vet on the other end. Other then that it is a viable scenario.