Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inactive vs Not Dressing- 3rd string QB

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Inactive vs Not Dressing- 3rd string QB

While enjoying a fun filled ride home from game last night and listening to the post mortum on the radio, and particularly Rex attempting to explain the back up QB situation I couldn't even figure out if McElroy even dressed. 1 commentator said McElroy was inactive yet another said he didn't even dress. I am aware that usually the 3rd string QB dresses, but is only an emergecy replacement and can't enter the game until the 4th quarter or the starter and 2nd stringer are then inelligible to return. Rex then indicated Tebow couldn't play b/c broken ribs. Please tell me our coachng staff wasn't so stupid as to only have Sanchez available to play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That rule was changed, see link, 3rd qb can be used anytime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-on-game-day/

However, Rex the genius had McElroy inactive, so he was not dressed. It was suckchez or tebow with broken ribs, that's it

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inactive and not dressing are the same thing.

And no I can't tell you the Jets coaching staff isn't stupid. They are!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Barkus, didn't know the rule change. However, not having a healthy backup QB is just moronic. Its not like the extra slot for a specialteamer has produced any dividends lately.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why cant the Jets designate Tebow as FB, and make McElroy the back up?? This way they can have 3 QBs dress and eligible to play if need be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why cant the Jets designate Tebow as FB, and make McElroy the back up?? This way they can have 3 QBs dress and eligible to play if need be.
    It doesn't matter what position a player plays / listed as. Teams can now dress 46 players. Most teams just decide to only dress two (because their backup is healthy)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It doesn't matter what position a player plays / listed as. Teams can now dress 46 players. Most teams just decide to only dress two (because their backup is healthy)
    They should have at least dressed McElroy last night then.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The coaching staff wants to lose

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They should have at least dressed McElroy last night then.
    Of course they should have. A well run organization would have. But this farce of an organization wanted to dress Tebow up for national TV and the Metlife crowd.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course they should have. A well run organization would have. But this farce of an organization wanted to dress Tebow up for national TV and the Metlife crowd.
    Yeah, I'm confused about that. I thought they said Tebow was on injured reserve, but they also said Tebow wanted to suit up in case he was needed. I didn't think they can play someone who's injured, even if the player wants to play. If that's true, then McElroy should've suited up. IDK what their plan is for Tebow. No team puts their backup QB in ridiculous plays with a high risk of injury like they're doing with Tebow. That's why he's injured right now. He has a high threshold for pain - played with a broken leg once - but just because he's tough doesn't mean he's invincible.

I wonder if Rex is leaving Sanchez in so he can learn from his mistakes, or to teach him a lesson or punish him, or if he's leaving him in so McElroy and Tebow don't get any of this stank on them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think McElroy has dressed for a single game all season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Mac comes in & does well, and by well I mean completes OVER 50% of his passes, you have a full blown QB controversy & your entire organization look like morons.
    I personally think that Rex has blackballed Mac for his comments about the locker room.
    Rex is old school, stubborn to a point of stupidity.
    For anyone to think that Mac can't play at least AS good as Sanchez you haven't been watching. He is ranked as the WORST QB in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    If Mac comes in & does well, and by well I mean completes OVER 50% of his passes, you have a full blown QB controversy & your entire organization look like morons.
    I personally think that Rex has blackballed Mac for his comments about the locker room.
    For anyone to think that Mac can't play at least AS good as Sanchez you haven't been watching. He is ranked as the WORST QB in the league.
    This is another great move by Rex. So am I the only one who thinks Rex really sucks as a coach? Time for a new coach.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got to admit, I can't understand Rex's logic on that one. You've got a critical division game. Your backup has broken ribs. You make your only healthy backup inactive.

I'm at a loss to understand what he was thinking.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    and how does this differ from how they look now?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    This is another great move by Rex. So am I the only one who thinks Rex really sucks as a coach? Time for a new coach.
    The way he's been sticking with Sanchez, using Tebow, and refusing to dress McElroy, Rex is rapidly using up his nine lives as a head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read somewhere that even if inactive, the 3rd quarterback can still come in if the first two are hurt. In effect McElroy is a free, 47th player. I'll look for the article and edit when I find it.

If true, Rex is even dumber than stated here so far.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I just read somewhere that even if inactive, the 3rd quarterback can still come in if the first two are hurt. In effect McElroy is a free, 47th player. I'll look for the article and edit when I find it.

(agree with your "even dumber" statement)
    Even if he could come in, he's in street clothes and hasn't warmed up. There's no warning when your qb goes down so he would either have to put Tebow in until Mac is ready or.. (nothing).

I just don't understand what he was thinking. I'm sure the Jets have an "emergency qb" like the Patriots had Troy Brown in case everyone goes down but to only have one healthy qb suited up on game day is beyond illogical IMHO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post

That was the old rule....you were allowed to dress 45 players and deem a QB as your "emergency QB", in essence dressing 46 players, where he can play if the other two get injured (or its the 4th quarter)...If he played before the 4th quarter the other two QBs weren't allowed to re-enter the game...

The new rule, changed last season, now just let's teams dress 46 players

If what you're saying is true - the two teams, officials, crowd and TV audience all wait as he gets to run into the locker room and put his jersey on? Because most teams only activate (dress) 2 QBs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    (agree with your "even dumber" statement)
    Even if he could come in, he's in street clothes and hasn't warmed up. There's no warning when your qb goes down so he would either have to put Tebow in until Mac is ready or.. (nothing).

I just don't understand what he was thinking. I'm sure the Jets have an "emergency qb" like the Patriots had Troy Brown in case everyone goes down but to only have one healthy qb suited up on game day is beyond illogical IMHO.
    Found it on SNY blog, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy:

"Update: Juunit astutely pointed out the new CBA rules allow teams to insert their third stringer QB even if he’s listed as inactive–that still does not take away from the point that Tebow had no business being active in the first place."

rest of the story:
    Eric Weeks, theJetsBlog.com

I get the sense that part of the hesitation to deactivate him stems from the fact that the calls for Tebow have been getting louder and deactivating him, without the public’s knowledge of the full extent of his injury, would have caused an uproar prior to the game. It’s admirable that Tebow wanted to be there for his teammates but the fact of the matter is that was a dangerous stunt especially when you consider he got progressively worse during the week–even if he was practicing as the regular backup to Mark. If he had to come in for Sanchez, it would have been an immediate disaster because of the way he plays, running the ball and taking hits not to mention throwing which is a task of its own on a regular basis for him never mind trying to do it with broken ribs. And the violent hits taking place last night would have made an already bad situation worse.

The point being is McElroy should have been active because if both Sanchez and Tebow were hurt, we’d have who knows who throwing passes. I know Rex wants to give his players every opportunity and respect their wishes but if Tebow is not physically able to effectively run a (spread) offense or punt protect, then he needs to be deactivated from here on, public perception be damned, because his being active is a detriment to the team.

http://thejetsblog.com/