Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The reason the Pats have great depth ....

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    The reason the Pats have great depth ....

    Or at least A reason ...

    Brady is worth 500,000,000 ... However his salary is below 1,000,000.

    His $$$ comes from being unbelievably successful and the marketing deals that come with at success ... He realizes that his salary cannot hold the team hostage because it would threaten the power of the team and thus his success.

    Add to this the fact that his wife is worth 1,000,000,000 and it becomes fairly simple to have a low salary.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or maybe it's just that their player scouting personnel are really good.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    What in the world does personal net worth have to do with a team's depth chart? Absolutely nothing. Belichick places a high value on ST depth. It showed last night.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Or at least A reason ...

    Brady is worth 500,000,000 ... However his salary is below 1,000,000.

    His $$$ comes from being unbelievably successful and the marketing deals that come with at success ... He realizes that his salary cannot hold the team hostage because it would threaten the power of the team and thus his success.

    Add to this the fact that his wife is worth 1,000,000,000 and it becomes fairly simple to have a low salary.
    Edit:
    He restructured contract march 2012 to 950k salary and instead got 10mill signing bonus, just cap maneuvering

    Wtf are you talking about?? He signed a 4yr 72mill contract with 48mil guaranteed in July 2010

    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=5552561
    Last edited by barkus; 11-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason the Pats have depth:

    Last 5 years # of draft picks.

    Pats: 57
    Jets: 31

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Edit:
    He restructured contract march 2012 to 950k salary and instead got 10mill signing bonus, just cap maneuvering

    Wtf are you talking about?? He signed a 4yr 72mill contract with 48mil guaranteed in July 2010

    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=5552561
    It's quite simple ... His salary was restructured to 950,000 guaranteed this year in order to retain and acquire talent.

    All I am saying is that is simple to restructure your contract like that when you have huge $$$ from other revenue streams.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 11-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The reason the Pats have depth:

    Last 5 years # of draft picks.

    Pats: 57
    Jets: 31
    This.

    While we continue to trade up in the draft for bust after bust and an occasional hit, they stockpile by trading down when they don't see a great pick at their slot.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The reason the Pats have depth:

    Last 5 years # of draft picks.

    Pats: 57
    Jets: 31
    Even though they screwed up last year's draft by drafting scrubs like Solder and Ridley instead of getting defensive help?

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Even though they screwed up last year's draft by drafting scrubs like Solder and Ridley instead of getting defensive help?
    Solder is doing fine because the league ignores his holds on every play and he has a Qb who almost never throws long and gets rid of the ball quick.

    The Pats have not won the SB in 7 years, their defense is still lousy. They can get away with it when facing medium to bad teams but when they have to beat 3 good teams in a row to win the sb they will be exposed and fail.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Solder is doing fine because the league ignores his holds on every play and he has a Qb who almost never throws long and gets rid of the ball quick.

    The Pats have not won the SB in 7 years, their defense is still lousy. They can get away with it when facing medium to bad teams but when they have to beat 3 good teams in a row to win the sb they will be exposed and fail.
    Solder is also doing fine because he is an size/athletic freak with excellent O-line coaching. In related news, Gabe Carimi was just benched and Anthony Castonzo was beaten like a rented mule last week by the immortal Rob Ninkovich.

    I disagree that their D is "still" lousy. I would say it is approaching "newly" mediocre. That may or may not be enough to win in the playoffs. We'll see.

    I agree that the Patriots chances of beating 3 good teams in a row to win a SB are not great. But they likely will not have to beat more than 1 good team. The AFC is weak this year from top to bottom. Even last year, they only faced 2 good teams in the playoffs and both (1 Pats win, 1 Pats loss) were decided by a couple of fluky plays. Again, we'll see.

  11. #11
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Patriot Nation
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Or maybe it's just that their player scouting personnel are really good.
    Or maybe it's because they don't give huge, guaranteed contracts to bums like Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, Calvin Pace and Bart Scott

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's also because Belichick is not afraid to cut his losses. If a high draft choice cannot play, he will cut him and replace him with an undrafted or street free agent who is better. He is not worried about protecting his draft record, only the production. If Darius Butler or Maroney can't play, be will replace them with Arrington, Taliban, or Woodhead. He doesn't care if people say he missed on a draft pick.

  13. #13
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    The reason the pats

    Not to take anything away from the pats, but it doesn't hurt they play 6 games a year against the 3 most inept football organizations in all of football.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us