Thread: The media & In-game Tweeting: Jane McManus

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The media & In-game Tweeting: Jane McManus

As an avid follower of Twitter, I have grown to depend on live event tweeting for additional insight. But I cannot help but notice the distinct trend of "journalists" who seem to use Twitter as an outlet for unprofessional commentary in the form of snark and forced "comedy".

For whatever reason, these so-called professionals seem to tweet things they would never consider actually writing for the paper. Jane McManus especially struck me as someone who is more concerned about impressing her colleagues than informing her audience.

Here are some of her nuggets of insight from last night:

Dumpster fire > Jets game
    138? RT @RblSports Now I'm getting excited. Hey, anyone know how many more points to a Moral Victory?
    Goal line stand fail.
    After the 2nd quarter, a 3-and-out is really a small victory... #Jets
    Lenny Kravitz is wearing a cape. Once this song is over, there's a certain team that could use a superhero...
    Jets FG with 2 seconds left and fireworks go off over stadium. A laugh up here in the press box. Pats up 35-3. #NFL
    Bright side: Stephen Hill just caught a pass. #Jets
    It's decided. @KristianRDyer is warming up here in the press box. Just add him to the roster and he'll QB

I'll finally say it. You might as well put Tim Tebow in at quarterback at this point. Or Eric Smith. Maybe Nick Folk?
    Bright side: Sanchez went down nicely on that sack.
    In roller derby we call that a booty block.
    Too bad Brady didn't have more time on that touchdown throw to Welker. He could've had seconds on Thanksgiving turkey. #Jets #NFL
    Looks like that identity changing thing will have to wait another week. #Jets
    And things had been going so well... INT #Jets
    Two 3 and outs. Jets and Patriots just call it a do over and pretend the game starts now.
    The line between journalists and JI posters seems to be non-existent at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll never understand people that are "avid fans of twitter" that proceed to complain when it is used exactly what it is for.

Turn it off if it bothers you.

Hall Of Fame
    She has always been a troll. Just not as much as Cimini and Mehta.

Veteran
    I'd do her.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    As an avid follower of Twitter, I have grown to depend on live event tweeting for additional insight. But I cannot help but notice the distinct trend of "journalists" who seem to use Twitter as an outlet for unprofessional commentary in the form of snark and forced "comedy".

For whatever reason, these so-called professionals seem to tweet things they would never consider actually writing for the paper. Jane McManus especially struck me as someone who is more concerned about impressing her colleagues than informing her audience.

The line between journalists and JI posters seems to be non-existent at this point.
    I agree. I don't known what the solution is though.
    Last edited by jxc; 11-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you read her stuff on ESPNNewYork.com, it's so obvious she tries to be like Cimini. From her tone to her sense of "humor," you can tell Cimini has a big influence on her.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I'll never understand people that are "avid fans of twitter" that proceed to complain when it is used exactly what it is for.

Twitter was invented as an outlet for reporters to try and impress one another with snarky comments?

If a dumpster fire is better than a Jets game, maybe Jane should find another job.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    I like snarky tweets. Those who just tweet facts without snarkiness are boring. Some try to be too cute but the most successful tweeters know how to balance their tweets with info and humor. Reading these type of tweets make a game like last night more bearable. IMO

I encourage our writers to tweet in that fashion and try to do it myself (with mixed success. lol) when I am tweeting on the JI Twitter Feed.

Personally, I like Jane's tweets. I think she's smart and humorous.

Costello and Hubbuch of the Post and Ian O'Connor of ESPNNY are also some of my favorite in-game tweeters.

All League
    I actually find it pretty hilarious, thus why I follow her.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I like snarky tweets. Those who just tweet facts without snarkiness are boring. Some try to be too cute but the most successful tweeters know how to balance their tweets with info and humor. Reading these type of tweets make a game like last night more bearable. IMO

I encourage our writers to tweet in that fashion and try to do it myself (with mixed success. lol) when I am tweeting on the JI Twitter Feed.

Personally, I like Jane's tweets. I think she's smart and humorous.

Costello and Hubbuch of the Post and Ian O'Connor of ESPNNY are also some of my favorite in-game tweeters.
    Jane tries way too hard. Like some of the others, she should leave the comedy to people who are less yuck-yuck obvious.

But again, my point is that she is suppose to be covering the team. This trend strikes me as unprofessional.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 11-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Jane tries way too hard. Like some of the others, she should leave the comedy to people who are less yuck-yuck obvious.

But again, my point is that she is suppose to be covering the team. This trend strikes me as unprofessional.
    Well she's not covering a professional football organization

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I actually thought she stopped covering the Jets last month, no?

All Pro
    Dude, a dumpster fire actually would've been more interesting to watch than that game.

You're going to criticize the lady for making fun of the Jets and being unprofessional? The Jets are a total joke of an organization and about as unprofessional as I've ever seen from a "professional" sports franchise.

Her comments weren't all great, but there were a few good ones in there.

This current crop of losers is really testing my dedication to this franchise. I don't know how much more I can take. I know some guys wear their DIEHARD fan badge proudly -- and good for you guys. It's fuking depressing for me to watch this team right now.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Dude, a dumpster fire actually would've been more interesting to watch than that game.

You're going to criticize the lady for making fun of the Jets and being unprofessional? The Jets are a total joke of an organization and about as unprofessional as I've ever seen from a "professional" sports franchise.

Her comments weren't all great, but there were a few good ones in there.

This current crop of losers is really testing my dedication to this franchise. I don't know how much more I can take. I know some guys wear their DIEHARD fan badge proudly -- and good for you guys. It's fuking depressing for me to watch this team right now.
    That's basically my point of frustration. I'm watching one of the most embarrassing games the fan base has ever had to endure, and we have even the sports writers who have the job of covering the team objectively - piling on with the captain obvious jokes. They are hacks and they don't care about the team. They just want to out snark one another. They prove the theory that sports writers occupy the lowest form of journalism.

That's basically my point of frustration. I'm watching one of the most embarrassing games the fan base has ever had to endure, and we have even the sports writers who have the job of covering the team objectively - piling on with the captain obvious jokes. They are hacks and they don't care about the team. They just want to out snark one another. They prove the theory that sports writers occupy the lowest form of journalism.
    Are they supposed to, since that's not part of a beat writer or columnist's job description? I'm willing to bet that most of them don't care about the publication they write for, just for the compensation they receive for said written pieces. And ain't a darn thing wrong with that

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Are they supposed to, since that's not part of a beat writer or columnist's job description? I'm willing to bet that most of them don't care about the publication they write for, just for the compensation they receive for said written pieces. And ain't a darn thing wrong with that
    They are not so suppose to have a rooting interest but that doesn't seem to stop them for rooting for the train wreck and showing glee when it happens. Last night was Christmas in November for the Jets beat journalists.

Wow her humor is absolutely terrible. It's like a track listing for a top cliche hits album.

She's got all your favorites:

"Hes got so long in the pocket he can (insert seasonal or contextual activity)"

"It's official, my friend is going in at QB"

I don't have a problem with her ripping the jets, but just the fact she thinks her crap jokes you can see coming a mile away are worth anyone's time...man, makes you lose all respect for her intellect and maturity.

Most mentally mature people learn pretty quick into adulthood when they aren't funny that they shouldn't continuously attempt to tell jokes.