Thread: brian kelly

brian kelly

As Notre Dame Moves To Number One Woody Johnson Must Consider Kelly To Run Jets

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...y-to-run-jets/

Notre Dame grabbed the number one ranking in college football last night as they whipped Wake Forrest to remain unbeaten and the two teams above the Fighting Irish, Kansas State and Oregon, were upset. Notre Dame is now two games (its last regular season game against USC and then the BCS Championship Bowl contest) from winning its first national title since 1988.

This should ring alarm bells in Woody Johnson’s head. Johnson, who bought the Jets 12 years ago for $635 million, needs to bring in Brian Kelly, Notre Dame’s coach, to run the Jets. As the New York Times reported in 2009, Kelly is not only a winner but also has the DNA to handle New York. What he has done the past three years proves the Times article prescient. Should Notre Dame capture the national championship Kelly will have nothing left to prove at South Bend. Kelly, who signed an extension at the beginning of the year, will have four years remaining at Notre Dame after this season, which means he can only be lured to the Jets for a lot of money and control.

Johnson should gladly give them to him. The New York Jets have done an incredible job of becoming as irrelevant as any big market NFL team could be. The Jets are in last place in the AFC East and the team is in disarray with no leader on the field or in management. Mike Tannenbaum, the guy responsible for running the Jets and who made the fatal mistakes of signing both Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, two quarterbacks who no one will ever call “elite,” was played the fool the the Mike Francesa show this week trying to explain the debacle that is the New York Jets. Head coach Rex Ryan should also be shown the door. Kelly, a superb recruiter and manager his entire career, can do both jobs.

Johnson said this week that he is more concerned about winning than selling personal seat licenses at MetLife Stadium. But all he has to do is look at the team he shares MetLife Stadium with to see that the math of the NFL says he needs to do both. The Giants have been able to rake in much more PSL money than the Jets thanks to winning two Super Bowls over the past five years, which explains why the gap in the value of the two teams has widened.

One last point: Following next season the Super Bowl will be played at MetLife Stadium, which means for two weeks the two teams that call it their home will get a lot of media attention. As both organizations are presently constituted, the Giants will be viewed as a premiere team and brand the the Jets the exact opposite. Johnson needs to avoid that possibility and the best way he can do that is by brining in someone like Kelly.

If Johnson doesn’t get someone like Kelly to run his organization he will do neither.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lol A college coach...hahahahaha

Jets Insider VIP
    Brian Kelly is approaching God status at one of the most prestigious football programs in the country.

Please tell me why he would leave that behind to come here?

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Lol A college coach...hahahahaha
    everybody laughed at tampa when they hired schiano... now look at what they are doing down there. I'm not saying rex should go, but at 4-7 all options need to be considered

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    everybody laughed at tampa when they hired schiano... now look at what they are doing down there. I'm not saying rex should go, but at 4-7 all options need to be considered
    Then I'll say it for you, 'Rex should go!' Now!

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Then I'll say it for you, 'Rex should go!' Now!
    Seconded. I'll spring for his cab.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Brian Kelly is approaching God status at one of the most prestigious football programs in the country.

Please tell me why he would leave that behind to come here?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just like anyone else would

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just like anyone else would
    Are you kidding me?

Kelly makes something like $12 million a year in South Bend.

That's more than any NFL team would offer him.

Veteran
    We so do not need another NFL rookie head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Are you kidding me?

Kelly makes something like $12 million a year in South Bend.

That's more than any NFL team would offer him.
    kelly makes 2.6 M a year. FYI nick saban is the highest paid NCAA coach making 5.5 a year
    http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Would rather have Chip Kelly.

We need a proven championship caliber NFL coach. Not another rookie coach.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Would rather have Chip Kelly.
    Would rather have Minka Kelly.

kelly makes 2.6 M a year. FYI nick saban is the highest paid NCAA coach making 5.5 a year

For a good college coach the salaries are about the same. BUT College coaches have much better job stability. And they do not have to deal with a bunch of Bit17y millionaires. Long term wise they make a lot more money in their careers. To get Pete Carral to come to the NFL they had to give him like top 3 NFL coach money at the time. FOR A GUY WHO NEVER COACHED IN THE NFL!

Who laughed? Schiano was praised.

That is his salary, ND has a national TV show, a Radio show, and he probably gets $100,000 each engagement on the rubber chicken circuit. After this season his contract will double if he gives up the right to move on. Remember no college team makes 1/2 the money ND does.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Who laughed? Schiano was praised.
    As a Rutgers guy, I can tell you that Schiano isn't that great of a head coach. Tampa Bay handed him a young team, a good draft and the top free agents on the market. They just lacked discipline, which he brought. But his coaching isn't that great and his act wears on players after a while. Let's see where he is in a few years in the NFL. He left Rutgers because everybody wanted him fired, especially given his salary and average production.

Brian Kelly is a way better coach than him.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    As a Rutgers guy, I can tell you that Schiano isn't that great of a head coach. Tampa Bay handed him a young team, a good draft and the top free agents on the market. They just lacked discipline, which he brought. But his coaching isn't that great and his act wears on players after a while. Let's see where he is in a few years in the NFL. He left Rutgers because everybody wanted him fired, especially given his salary and average production.

Brian Kelly is a way better coach than him.
    IDK too much about him as a game day guy, BB recommended him for the job in Tampa. Being a HC is not all about Xs and Os. It is being a leader and installing discipline and accountability. HIs OC and DC can scheme or he will find ones that can. It does not matter that his act wears on players, Coughlin, BB, Parcecls, Jimmy Johnson, all are hard asses.