Thread: Could Rex have learned from Buddy's mistakes w/QB controversy?

Could Rex have learned from Buddy's mistakes w/QB controversy?

I'm absolutely puzzled about why Rex seems so bound and determined to stick with Sanchez, even though some sort of spark and/or change is needed at this point.

I wonder if he remembers, or his father recently reminded him, what got him fired in Arizona in 1994: a bitter QB controversy.

One footnote here - along with the three (!) QBs listed in the article, Buddy considered trying to lure P. Simms out of retirement, adding to the disorder at the QB position. All of this by early October.

I wonder if Rex has just decided that no matter what, he's not going out that way.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 11-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.

No, he is an individual that so hubristic that he can't be helped. He's going down and taking everyone down with him. He is also insane and can't see what is really happening.

I just don't think Rex sees anything in our BUs to be honest. Why he doesn't bring in anther QB? I have no idea. The minute NE dropped Hoyer I thought yes finally we can get a viable BU. What happen? For the 1st time ever Tanny doesn't pick up a NE left over. Hopefully Pitts gets a QB back and cuts him or Batch. I'd take either right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Rex completely ignores offensive meetings(eg time outs). You cannot be a HC without participating in all aspects of the game. I love Rex, be he's a liability on O. The only controversy affecting Sanchez is his own deficiencies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm surprised more people don't think that Buddy's experience with QB controversies could be a factor here. I recall that Rex said that he talks to his father all the time during the season.

Either way, Rex has got a QB controversy.

Hall Of Fame
    This QB controversy is above Rex's pay grade. The owner created it, and Sanchez' performance fuels it.

As bad as Sanchez is, he is still better than Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    This QB controversy is above Rex's pay grade. The owner created it, and Sanchez' performance fuels it.

As bad as Sanchez is, he is still better than Tebow.
    Don't disagree with anything you wrote, although Woody did tell the press recently that it wasn't his idea to get Tebow. He implied it was Tanny's, FWIW.

of the three qb's, sanchez does give the team the best chance to win each sunday although a case can be made for mcelroy. tebow can play but anyone see his passes? he makes bubby brister look good. mcelroy? he probably deserves a shot simply because sanchez just doesn't always make good decisions. doesn't matter who's arm is better if the ball goes to the wrong uniform.

Bumping this thread now that Rex, just like his dad did in Arizona, has a 3 QB controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Bumping this thread now that Rex, just like his dad did in Arizona, has a 3 QB controversy.
    I really don't blame coaches much for a QB controversy... The only way they happen is the starter is sucking... Since that's the case, the coach doesn't have final say on the QB brought in.

There is no right way to deal with a QB controversy. It just means you have no starter and you've already lost.

Buddy Ryan SUCKED as a head coach. He had 3 decent years with the Eagles getting them to the playoffs 3 times. In all 3 times he was one and done. He sucked in AZ. Much like Rex, he was decent DC but knew squat about offense. Why any Jet fan would want Rex to emulate him is a mystery.

In this case, the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Exclamation 77 % of NY readers call for Rex Ryan dismissal

=ESPNNewYork.com columnist Ian O’Connor was one of the first in town to call for Ryan’s ouster:

He wasn't born to be an NFL head coach any more than his father Buddy was born to be an NFL head coach, and nobody's taking any pleasure in making that claim… he admitted losing control of his team and locker room in 2011, and he no longer needs to make that admission in 2012. His Jets said it all for him when they spotted the Patriots 35 second-quarter points, allowed them to score 21 of those points in 52 unforgettable seconds, and all but put Rich Kotite's worst hours to shame.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Coaches do not create quarterback controversies.

Crappy starting quarterbacks do.