Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: can we show a little loyalty/love to the guys that delivered two AFCCG's?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

can we show a little loyalty/love to the guys that delivered two AFCCG's?

Dudes, I am as pissed as anyone. I was embarrassed yesterday. It sucked. Ass. But come on. Teams have bad seasons. Horrible seasons. This crew has accomplished more than any other in the history of the organization. Why are we so mad? Because our expectations have increased. Why? Because of the success of this regime...We HAVE to give them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless of how crappy this season is.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Dudes, I am as pissed as anyone. I was embarrassed yesterday. It sucked. Ass. But come on. Teams have bad seasons. Horrible seasons. This crew has accomplished more than any other in the history of the organization. Why are we so mad? Because our expectations have increased. Why? Because of the success of this regime...We HAVE to give them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless of how crappy this season is.
    When we lost to the Texans and Patriots the first time I was pissed like any fan would be but the team showed heart and fight. The losses to Miami, Seattle and last night were awful. I have had season tickets since 1991 when I was 11 years old and I've only missed a handful of games. Last night's game reminded me of a game in 1995 vs the Oakland Raiders. The Jets got their tails handed to them on Sunday Night football and the stadium emptied before halftime sort of like last night.

The team last night looked like that team. Lost and no heart. When your QB literally eats a$$ (see the pic of his head in Brandon Moore's rear end) and you give up 21 points in a minute things need to change.

Will I always respect Rex Ryan for the back to back AFC Champ Games? Absolutely!! He also was lucky he inherited a team Mangini built. Mangini got a crappy deal. He was rebuilding and Woody screwed it all up by forcing him to take Brett Favre to sell PSLs to the new stadium.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The losses to miami and last night had two things in common. Absurd fluke plays that took the air our of the entire team. It's virtually impossible to bounce back from crap like that.

Inherited a team Mangini built? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The losses to miami and last night had two things in common. Absurd fluke plays that took the air our of the entire team. It's virtually impossible to bounce back from crap like that.

This seems to be the new popular talking point on this board.

Rex deserves no credit, it was all the Mangenius. Meanwhile when Mangini was here, everyone couldn't wait to get rid of him.

And now ironically, everyone can't wait to get rid of Rex. The next coach will then be blamed for inheriting a team Rex built.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted Schotty fired in 2008, not Mangini. He deserved another year or 2, especially since Woody forced Favre on him. Team would have been better with a healthy Pennington.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the Eagles who went to 4 straight NFCCG how's that working out for them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Ask the Eagles who went to 4 straight NFCCG how's that working out for them.
    Some people are happy with mediocrity. They search for tee ball leagues that dont keep score and take pass/fail classes in college. The real world usually kicks them in the nuts eventually.

REX has shown NO skill set to think this will get better. His ability to bring in and develop talent is non existent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    This seems to be the new popular talking point on this board.

Rex deserves no credit, it was all the Mangenius. Meanwhile when Mangini was here, everyone couldn't wait to get rid of him.

And now ironically, everyone can't wait to get rid of Rex. The next coach will then be blamed for inheriting a team Rex built.

Rinse, wash, repeat.
    Rex did a good job in the 2009 playoff run. he did very good in 2010. Mangini put a lot of the talent in place. in the 2009 and 2010 Tanny and Rex then went out and spent future cap dollars and trading picks to make a playoff run. They then made the playoffs for two years.

This team was built for a quick strike and not a long haul.

The team then got old and did not have any depth to replace injured players or players who retired. Rex has shown to be a good coach for a talented Veteran team. But being cash strapped last year and this off season leaves
    the team with less young drafted players to replace tho older vets. he has not shown the knack for coaching up kids or putting a staff in place that can

This team was built for a quick strike and not a long haul.

The next coach will get a grace period honeymoon after inheriting this mess.

11 players who are starters (plus other B/Us) are going to need to be replaced this off season with less than 17 mill of cap room (after cutting) of which 6 mill will be going to the rookies. The starting qb needs to be brought back from the dead. The best WR is a **** bird getting paid 2X his value.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 AFC Finals = Superbowl plus a lossing decade. Enjoy a rewind of the 70's, gas lines included.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not that Rex is having a bad season, its that on a year to year basis, his coaching skills have declined rather than improve. Much like how Sanchez has gotten worse each year. I was calling for Rex to be fired last yearbecause he lost the team at the end of the season. Once you lose the players, youcant get them back. Thats what you are seeing this year. Unless you want to continue this downward spiral, you need to clean house. Rex included.

As far as Mangini, i admit i was/am a big supporter. He finished his last season 9-7, with a bad second half. He had the same record as Rex and similarly had bad second halves. The difference is Rex got lucky and 9-7 was good enough to get in the playoffs and the rest is history. At the end of this year Rex and Mangini will have similar winning %. The reason Mangini got the axe prematurely is purely because of personality and nothing else. Rex islikeable and gets the benefit of the doubt because of it. Unfortunately he is stubborn an not very bright and cant change as a coach because of it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    No offense (pun intended) but the roster of the '09 and '10 are VASTLY different than the crapfest we currently watched the other night.

The '09 roster had names like

Thomas Jones
    Leon Washington
    Tony Richardson
    Braylon Edwards
    Jerricho Cotchery
    Brad Smith
    Alan Faneca
    Damien Woody
    Shaun Ellis

Big contributors. Maybe not huge stars, but made significant contributions that, as a whole, made this team better.

The '10 roster had a lot of the key guys from '09 (**T-Rich**, Brad Smith, Braylon, Cotch, Ellis) with some nice additions in Holmes, Cro, LT.

The moment we lost T-Rich was the beginning of losing that locker room, IMO. It can't be underestimated how much the other guys looked up to him. But by '11, we lost (with exception of Holmes, Cro, LT) every other guy I mentioned. I'm probably forgetting others. But who did Tanny and Rex get to fill these shoes? John Conner for T-Rich. Yeah...Conner's no longer on the team. LT and Thomas Jones gone with Greene, Powell and McKnight taking over. Yeah...went from best running game in the league in '09 and nearly the best in '10 to 22nd in '11 and 15th, so far this year. Receivers like Edwards and Cotch, who Sanchez clearly had a rapport with, replaced by Kerley (whom I do like), Stephen "Where's the stick-em" Hill, Gates (reject of the Dolphins). Brad Smith gets replaced with Teblow? That "addition" speaks for itself. Sanchez has done nothing but regress since '10. He is NOT a leader, he's NOT a game changer. Well, not a game changer in OUR favor, anyway.

I think you get the point. Comparing this current team to the teams of '09 and '10 is like comparing Mercury to Jupiter. Yeah, both are planets but that's about where the similarities end. So, seriously, knock it off with the "loyalty" to the teams of '09 and '10. This team if a completely different beast, from top to bottom. Even our special teams are a fking joke and that used to be an automatic solid.

So, to say that the success of the '09 and '10 teams, being that they were Mangini teams, does have some level of credibility. Some. I think the '10 team was more of a Rex/Tanny team. But since then, Rex and Tanny have done next to nothing but downgrade the positions that brought our success. Rex is FAR too loyal and FAR too lenient to be a good head coach. This team is in a tailspin and his personality is the last thing this team needs, right now. This team needs discipline and needs to be held accountable for their actions (or lack of). Rex simply isn't doing that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Backing into the playoffs is more impressive than winning their only Super Bowl? Is your first name Buddy?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluke plays?

They were friggn' turnovers.

Well coached, disciplined teams do not do that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a fact that he won with Mangini's players. Kill Mangini all you want. He sucked the life out of the organization with his wannabe BB routine but he did build a solid roster. Rex came in and livened things up and got the players to respond, so give him credit for that. But this roster has deteriorated every year under his watch. That is undeniable.

Mangini guys - Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, T Jones, T Rich, Faneca, Woody, Leon Washington, Brad Smith.

Rex's guys - Scott, Holmes, Mason, Wilson, Conner, Ducasse, SANCHEZ. Only good player he brought it that had good character was Leonhard. Wilk looks promising. Coples . . . Who???
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-24-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It is a fact that he won with Mangini's players. Kill Mangini all you want. He sucked the life out of the organization with his wannabe BB routine but he did build a solid roster. Rex came in and livened things up and got the players to respond, so give him credit for that. But this roster has deteriorated every year under his watch. That is undeniable.

Mangini guys - Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, T Jones, T Rich, Faneca, Woody

Rex's guys - Scott, Holmes, Mason, Wilson, Conner, Ducasse, SANCHEZ. Only good player he brought it that had good character was Leonhard.
    If Mangini came in and was just himself, he'd still be the HC of the NYJ's, and at least one of those AFCCG's would have been a win for the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is credence in your post, but certainly there has to be culpability for the poor personnel decisions over the past couple of seasons.

This team is not as talented as the 2009 & 10 teams, and unfortunately our "franchise" QB is not good enough to elevate those around him to compensate. I had hoped maturation of Sanchez by this point would have elevated his play from '09 & '10 to the point where he would be able to "carry" the team at certain points of the season. Unfortunately he appears to be more part of the problem then a part of the solution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yeah and now the aging players have aged, it's time to cut ties with those guys. Specifically the LB corps.

I'm probably one of the few that wants Rex to stay. A new GM and QB but definitely want Rex to stay. I want to see him replace guys like Pace and Scott. And with a OC like Norv Turner or something (just an example).

It's also up to him to know its time to let go of his favorites and those aging players and that it's time to let go of the ground and pound philosophy.

It's like that article that was posted comparing them to Kubiak getting Wade Phillips. Rex is TOO good at defense to let him go, i'm willing to wait until we find another QB and get this offense going to pair with Rex and his defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Yeah and now the aging players have aged, it's time to cut ties with those guys. Specifically the LB corps.

I'm probably one of the few that wants Rex to stay. A new GM and QB but definitely want Rex to stay. I want to see him replace guys like Pace and Scott. And with a OC like Norv Turner or something (just an example).

It's also up to him to know its time to let go of his favorites and those aging players and that it's time to let go of the ground and pound philosophy.

It's like that article that was posted comparing them to Kubiak getting Wade Phillips. Rex is TOO good at defense to let him go, i'm willing to wait until we find another QB and get this offense going to pair with Rex and his defense.
    I also think Rex is a good HC, the team he has is not very talented. However if Woody decides on a new GM at the end of the season, whomever that GM is should have the right to choose his own HC.

Of course if Woody decides to keep Rex and remove Tannenbaum, the other alternative is to make Rex the head of the football operations and bring in a personnel guy that would work for Rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Fluke plays?

They were friggn' turnovers.

Well coached, disciplined teams do not do that.
    Not just any sort of turnovers though - granted the KR fumble was just a solid hit, but Sanchez's butt-play was Keystone Cop stuff. Embarrassing. Smacked of lack of focus, lack of preparation, lack of discipline.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like