Thread: Jets Defense

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Defense

19th Yds/G

26th Pts/g

31st Rush Yds/g

Stunning. I was so wrong about our Defense. I thought this would be Rex's best. What happened?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our best defense was the one he inherited, it's plain as day that Ryan and Tanny cannot build a team. We are utter failures on both sides of the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aging LB's, no Revis and a terrible offense is what happened.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    linebackers are the main reason for all this. they are the playmakers on defense. we need to add 2 strong speed backers to join harris and davis.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex needs to adjust his philosophy in terms of the type of players he wants on defense. The days of having those "thumper" LBers is over. They are a liability in today's NFL. Its all about speed and being able to run sideline to sideline. The days of the hard hitting safety's are over, speed and coverage ability are first and foremost now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Rex needs to adjust his philosophy in terms of the type of players he wants on defense. The days of having those "thumper" LBers is over. They are a liability in today's NFL. Its all about speed and being able to run sideline to sideline. The days of the hard hitting safety's are over, speed and coverage ability are first and foremost now.
    True.

But is it just the players? or is his/Pettines' scheme to blame as well?

For example: The Brady swing pass to Vereen for an untouched TD was ridiculous. To depend on an inside LB'er to get to a speedy back, and have no one else anywhere near the sidelines, was alarming.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    True.

For example: The Brady swing pass to Vereen for an untouched TD was ridiculous. To depend on an inside LB'er to get to a speedy back, and have no one else anywhere near the sidelines, was alarming.
    If you watch that play, look at the 3 players running him down, Bart, Eric Smith and Harris.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree. Soon we'll be playing flag football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have nearly $18MM locked up this year in two "thumpers".

We are paying our Top 32 QB $8MM. And giving him a $5MM raise next year.

BLOW IT UP!!!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking REX OVERRATED AS DEFENSIVE COACH/ BUILDER

Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    Our best defense was the one he inherited, it's plain as day that Ryan and Tanny cannot build a team. We are utter failures on both sides of the ball.
    =Agreed. If we had our old discarded players, like Leon Washington, Kerry Rhodes, D. Lowery; Danny Woodhead, etc..... we would probably be better---- Mangini was a better judge of talent than Rex; PLUS... the guys played with more heart and discipline. Even the special teamers are prone to mistakes now that Rex is here; its INFECTIOUS.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    True.

Or on the Welker TD catch when Lankster and Wilson had no clue how to handle that situation.

It all comes back to coaching.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason is an offense that constantly goes 3-and-out and keeps putting the defense out on the field in difficult positions.

It's easy to look at the stats and say they give up this or that, but just look when they're scored. Most of it is all from the 4th qtr. or from when the offense turns the ball over and gives the defense a short field.

Now is our defense perfect? Not by any means, but without our best player or any pass rush for that matter, I say they're not doing that bad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    The reason is an offense that constantly goes 3-and-out and keeps putting the defense out on the field in difficult positions.

It's easy to look at the stats and say they give up this or that, but just look when they're scored. Most of it is all from the 4th qtr. or from when the offense turns the ball over and gives the defense a short field.

Now is our defense perfect? Not by any means, but without our best player or any pass rush for that matter, I say they're not doing that bad

Thursday night the Rats drove down the field, for a short FG that missed. Sanchez int and the defense lets the Rats drive 85 yards for a TD. If Gostkowski doesn't miss the chip shot it's 10-0 in the first qtr and we're already in trouble...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the coaching is not all that bad considering the talent stinks.
    Despite all the fan excitement the DL is lousy. Wilkerson is a so so. Ellis nah. Coples blah. Lazy at NC, no factor here. The LBs are poor. The heralded (on this board) Davis has been minimal. The DBs (except Cromartie) are substandard.
    THe offense is a disgrace at EVERY skilled position however.

Frankly, Folk and Malone should be co MVPs of the team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Thursday night the Rats drove down the field, for a short FG that missed. Sanchez int and the defense lets the Rats drive 85 yards for a TD. If Gostkowski doesn't miss the chip shot it's 10-0 in the first qtr and we're already in trouble...
    Good point, but like I said their not perfect. I'm not even saying they're top 5 defense. But they're not as bad as advertised.

Look at the San Fran game for example, you say "Well the Jets gave up 34 points". They may have, but it was only 10-0 at half at 17-0 after the 3rd quarter. The big difference? 37-23 possession time margin as the offense was a whopping 2-13 on 3rd down. A defense can't keep getting forced to be sent out after making big stops.

Another example is the Seattle game. You look and say "Well the defense let up 174 yards in rushing and they gave up 28 points". But look a little closer and you'll see that 84 of those yards were in THE 4TH QUARTER ALONE. The score was only 14-7 at half. But once again, the offense goes 2-11 on third down with Seattle winning the possession time 36-24.

There is a common theme here as you can see. I'm not saying they're a shutdown defense but when you have an offense that can't sustain a drive, obviously the D is going to be effected by the 4th quarter which in turn looks bad on the stat sheet in the end.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Good point, but like I said their not perfect. I'm not even saying they're top 5 defense. But they're not as bad as advertised.

Look at the San Fran game for example, you say "Well the Jets gave up 34 points". They may have, but it was only 10-0 at half at 17-0 after the 3rd quarter. The big difference? 37-23 possession time margin as the offense was a whopping 2-13 on 3rd down. A defense can't keep getting forced to be sent out after making big stops.

Another example is the Seattle game. You look and say "Well the defense let up 174 yards in rushing and they gave up 28 points". But look a little closer and you'll see that 84 of those yards were in THE 4TH QUARTER ALONE. The score was only 14-7 at half. But once again, the offense goes 2-11 on third down with Seattle winning the possession time 36-24.

There is a common theme here as you can see. I'm not saying they're a shutdown defense but when you have an offense that can't sustain a drive, obviously the D is going to be effected by the 4th quarter which in turn looks bad on the stat sheet in the end.
    Understood. Offense hasn't helped. But many, included myself, thought they'd be a top three defense. Better than the previous couple of years. They're not even close to that.