Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rex Draft Input

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Those four picks were approx #202, 203, 242 and 244 out of approx 250 picks. We're not talking about picks in the top 100 or even 150
    Of course this wouldn't be an issue if we had any depth what so ever. The bottom fifth of our roster is made up of players that wouldn't be in the league had it not been for the Jets.

My problem is that we cut players that we drated, took several months of training, and then cut them in favor of other team's cast offs. I can understand a player or two each year, but EVERY single year, we lead the league in waiver claims. So each year, we drop kids that we started to develop and then cut them in favor of another player that wasn't good enough to make another roster.

This is not the norm. And whoever said that teams cut half their draft classes, is missing the point. We cut them before opening Sunday. Not after their rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    you have a point but I don't think you can claim rex had any real influence on the 2009 draft as a rookie coach. the main problem comes from the trading of picks to mortgage the team for a SB run and the early round draft busts in 08 and 10. the 2010 draft really was a stinker but we only had 4 draft picks total, and in 2011 we didn't have a 2nd round pick either. the jury is still out on what 2012 will prove to be IMO. here's a list of the last couple year's picks for reference:

2008 - NEW YORK JETS
    RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 6 Vernon Gholston LB Ohio State
    1 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue
    4 113 Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State
    5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee
    6 171 Marcus Henry WR Kansas
    7 211 Nate Garner T Arkansas

2009 - NEW YORK JETS
    1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC
    3 65 Shonn Greene RB Iowa
    6 193 Matt Slauson G Nebraska

2010 - NEW YORK JETS
    1 29 Kyle Wilson CB Boise State
    2 61 Vladimir Ducasse T Massachusetts
    4 112 Joe McKnight RB USC
    5 139 John Conner RB Kentucky

2011 - NEW YORK JETS
    1 30 Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple
    3 94 Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton
    4 126 Bilal Powell RB Louisville
    5 153 Jeremy Kerley WR Texas Christian
    7 208 Greg McElroy QB Alabama
    7 227 Scotty McKnight WR Colorado

2012 - NEW YORK JETS
    1 16 Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
    2 43 Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech
    3 77 Demario Davis LB Arkansas State
    6 187 Josh Bush DB Wake Forest
    6 202 Terrance Ganaway RB Baylor
    6 203 Robert T. Griffin G Baylor
    7 242 Antonio Allen SS South Carolina
    7 244 Jordan White WR Western Michigan
    We don't know for sure, but I think this is on target. Tanny's been in the role of GM for a few years and certainly I think he could play a BIGGER role now in picking draft picks than he did years ago when Mangini was around.

In other words, Tanny may have gained more power inside the Jets war room since 2008. So maybe it was more of a 50/50 proposition with Tanny and Mangini and now the power's swung more fully to the GM and Rex has less of a say than Mangini did.

The draft's in some ways a crap shoot, but one thing that clear. Either because of bad luck or the loss of a good football mind in Mangini, the drafts since 2009 are far worse than what came before.

One last thing, I think based on Rex thinking his team was stacked with talent this summer (and the John Connor debacle), NO ONE should be giving him more power and input on draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Of course this wouldn't be an issue if we had any depth what so ever. The bottom fifth of our roster is made up of players that wouldn't be in the league had it not been for the Jets.

My problem is that we cut players that we drated, took several months of training, and then cut them in favor of other team's cast offs. I can understand a player or two each year, but EVERY single year, we lead the league in waiver claims. So each year, we drop kids that we started to develop and then cut them in favor of another player that wasn't good enough to make another roster.

This is not the norm. And whoever said that teams cut half their draft classes, is missing the point. We cut them before opening Sunday. Not after their rookie season.
    Actually it's the norm under Parcells. That's where Tanny picked it up.

You're talking primarily about roster numbers 49-53. Some of these players picked up were drafted by other teams that were cut for whatever reason ie coaching/system changes. All teams take shots on guys. What's the harm taking a look.

And of those 4 cut. 1 was claimed by St Louis. 1 has been up and down on the roster/PS. 1 was just promoted from the PS and the last one Griffin, who knows where he is. Brutal pick

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Rex wanted Coples and personally worked him out. The jets scouts liked jones more but Rex felt he was too light and wouldn't hold up vs the run. Coples had a bigger body and he felt he would fit his D better.

It was also reported that bradway loved Russell Wilson but I'm not sure if or where he was on our draft board. Rex also personally picked Connor who is now out the NFL. The point is Rex is terrible at evaluating talent, you combine that with Tanny who sucks too, and there is the problem.

Rex also handpicked Tony Morono so his ability to put together a coaching staff is up for debate too.
    Absolutely. Mangini's 2009 draft with Cleveland wasn't good at all, but his drafts with the NYJ were far better than what's come lately.

No way Rex should be picking players in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    We don't know for sure, but I think this is on target. Tanny's been in the role of GM for a few years and certainly I think he could play a BIGGER role now in picking draft picks than he did years ago when Mangini was around.

In other words, Tanny may have gained more power inside the Jets war room since 2008. So maybe it was more of a 50/50 proposition with Tanny and Mangini and now the power's swung more fully to the GM and Rex has less of a say than Mangini did.

The draft's in some ways a crap shoot, but one thing that clear. Either because of bad luck or the loss of a good football mind in Mangini, the drafts since 2009 are far worse than what came before.

One last thing, I think based on Rex thinking his team was stacked with talent this summer (and the John Connor debacle), NO ONE should be giving him more power and input on draft day.
    Wrong. See my earlier post. And i see you are another who prescribes to the theory the player picked in the draft is a finished product and doesn't need any development, coaching etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    right on the money. 08 and 10 were both brutal drafts though... VG was such a critical bust that really set this team back. the jets haven't drafted an OLB/DE since then and are now paying the price on D. ducasse was supposed to be the answer at RT after woody. I'd say the two biggest positions of weakness on the team right now. on the bright side at least we still have all our picks for this year especially considering the favorable draft position the team should have
    Last edited by cant wait; 11-24-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, L Washington, Revis, Harris and that's 2006. And 2007 under Mangini.

2 years produced better players than any under Rex.
    Oh boy. Hammer rex homerism has arrived in the thread. Two words: Vernon Gholston.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Oh boy. Hammer rex homerism has arrived in the thread. Two words: Vernon Gholston.
    One first round bust. We get it. EVERY team has a first round bust every few years. the meat and potatoes is what matters.

Why do people think Mangini was this great talent evaluator just because they think drafts were so much better when Mangini was here.

That 2008 draft was awful, so you can say that Tannenbaum landed a couple of good players but overall hes been a pretty bad drafter and was heading downhill anyways.

Terry Bradway landed some good players too when he was GM, he was still a awful GM.

The GM makes the decisions on player personnel period, its Tannenbaum's fault that we lack talent.

We need to get a new GM who is a FOOTBALL guy, not a money guy. Get someone that knows how to build a team and can evaluate talent.

For those that want Mangini back as a GM, he was part responsible for drafting the worst player this team has had ever in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    4-10 the last 14 games. Weeee

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Wrong. See my earlier post. And i see you are another who prescribes to the theory the player picked in the draft is a finished product and doesn't need any development, coaching etc.
    That's an amazingly inaccurate reading of what I wrote. Where in what i wrote did I specifically offer this "finished product" theory where I suggested such a thing?

HINT: nowhere.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Isn't it a bit early to be declaring Coples a bust?
    Really. The defensive line has some good young talent. Stop throwing rookies under the bus guys. And don't compare Coples to Gholston. He gets pressure when he plays. And In a 3-4 I am told the linebackers make the tackles.

Copels takes plays off...it's very evident even if your just watching a little bit... and just what the scouting report said...where there is smoke there is fire and they should have stayed away from him....

where have you heard that coples was rex's personal pick? I remember reading that rex wanted jones and was overruled. the last pick that was claimed to be rex's choice was powell
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Rex on NFL Network said that Mike sent him down to UNC to scout Coples and that the pick in the war room was "unanimous"
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=243741&page=2

Talking REX'S INPUT ON DRAFT PICKS

where have you heard that coples was rex's personal pick? I remember reading that rex wanted jones and was overruled. the last pick that was claimed to be rex's choice was powell
    + NOT True. Rex told Coples agent that he would be picked by the Jets if he were still there at their pick. And he personally gushed all over John Conner and wanted him in the 5th round. ( big mistake).

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    + NOT True. Rex told Coples agent that he would be picked by the Jets if he were still there at their pick. And he personally gushed all over John Conner and wanted him in the 5th round. ( big mistake).
    Do you know how many teams tell players that??

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Do you know how many teams tell players that??
    Exactly!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    Can't find the link, but I read an article on this board that Jets personnel guys were "pounding their fists on the table" over taking Coples over Ingram and Jones. Same article credited Ryan with loudest voice and Tanny making the pick.

I can understand why. With Thomas as a FA, Pace and Scott surely cap cuts, and very little wiggle rom cap wise, this team will be looking at an OLB depth chart of Rookie, McIntyre, Sapp, and Journeyman cast off.

Add this to Sanchez at QB for a "make it or break it" season for Tanny and Rex. Its inevitable.

We have a garbage season in 2013, clean hous in the front office and on the field, and use a ton of cap room to rebuild in 2014.

Or Woody can eat a ton of $ and. rid the team of Tanny, Rex, and Sanchez.

Jets Recap Round 1 News Conf

General Manager Mike Tannenbaum, Vice President of College Scouting Joey Clinkscales and Coach Rex Ryan recap the first round pick of UNC DE Quinton Coples.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...6-7369d6c66a9a

Coach Ryan Delivers a Scouting Report on Coples

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...5-2d47b4e5ad1e
    Last edited by C Mart; 11-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.

We have seen very few players improve under Rex's tenure... The only area where we see decent coaching has been with the DBs. We have developed any offensive lineman. We have not been able to pressure the QB in forever. We draft one dimensional players all the time. We missed with two top 5 picks in Gholston and Sanchez... All these things set a franchise back a long way.

Rex is a great Coordinator but not a good head coach, Just like Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, and his father Buddy. Nobody is developing and teaching our players. I thought the lockout set us back last year with a couple of guys but I see little improvement this year.

It is time to clean house and give a new regime a fighting chance with some of the perceived talent we have...