Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rex Ryan = Joe Walton = Bruce Coslet

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Walton and Coslet inherited the bitter dregs of the Michaels team, didn't have a fraction of the talent that Ryan inherited in 2009.

What we now know to be true is that Ryan is a good postseason coach and a lousy regular season coach. That doesn't work.

SAR I
    Beg to differ, Walt Michaels was a great judge of talent. In 1n 1981 and 1982,
    his team was 16-8. They made the playoffs BOTH seasons an in 1982 the
    Jets lost in the Mud Bowl AFCCG to an inferior Fins team thanks to Richard
    Todd and AJ Duhe.

The team Ryan took over from Mangini was 13-19 in the prior two years and
    did not make the playoffs in either year.

So how do you figure that Michael's playoff team was loaded with "dregs" and
    the "losing" team Ryan got was so talented?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    My candidates would include:

Bill Cowher
    Joe Vitt
    Jon Gruden
    Mike Zimmer
    Eric Mangini
    Todd Haley
    The Notre Dame coach
    You've got the wrong Gruden on your list.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Beg to differ, Walt Michaels was a great judge of talent. In 1n 1981 and 1982,
    his team was 16-8. They made the playoffs BOTH seasons an in 1982 the
    Jets lost in the Mud Bowl AFCCG to an inferior Fins team thanks to Richard
    Todd and AJ Duhe.

The team Ryan took over from Mangini was 13-19 in the prior two years and
    did not make the playoffs in either year.

So how do you figure that Michael's playoff team was loaded with "dregs" and
    the "losing" team Ryan got was so talented?
    Michaels team went 6-3 in a strike shortened season. Walton's first season was the last for Richard Todd who had a 70 QB rating and threw a ton of INT's.

Mangini's team went 8-3 before Favre got injured. Ryan's first season was loaded with decent defensive talent between Mangini's guys and the Raven FA's he brought in and he inherited quality at the RB position with Jones and Washington, defense and rushing the two keys to Ryan's coaching strategy.

SAR I

If Rex is fired he lands in Philly

If the Jets fire Rex, he lands on his feet in Philadelphia. It's a perfect landing spot for him.

With his defensive schemes, and the personnel they have on defense, with their speed, edge rushers, and the talent in place in the secondary, Rex will have a top 5 defense.

On offense, he'll have a running game, and a running QB. He'll play ball control, and run clock.

Philly will be playoff bound, and competing for a title.

Then everyone on here will agree that Rex is a good coach, but had a bottom tier player talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Michaels team went 6-3 in a strike shortened season. Walton's first season was the last for Richard Todd who had a 70 QB rating and threw a ton of INT's.

Mangini's team went 8-3 before Favre got injured. Ryan's first season was loaded with decent defensive talent between Mangini's guys and the Raven FA's he brought in and he inherited quality at the RB position with Jones and Washington, defense and rushing the two keys to Ryan's coaching strategy.

SAR I
    Leon played a total of 7 games for Rex and had 331 yds and no tds.. Lucky they had Greene who filled in nicely.. Kris Jenkins played a total of 7 games for Rex in 2 years and Mangini did leave the Ghost for Rex but no QB's.. Ok Clemens if you want to get picky.. The best players Mangini left were Revis,Harris and TJ..

If it's clear to us that Rex lost the team last year and this year, it's clear to Woody Johnson too.

We're 0-12 against teams that end the year with winning records since our stunning victory over the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs. That doesn't go unnoticed.

SAR I
    Who would you want as a HC candidate???

Bewildered Beast
    Rex lost the team because of bad bets on personnel - he's not responsible, but has fallen in love with some guys too quickly.

I can live with Rex's game plan; I love his defense and I hope he can keep it fresh. Someone in personnel that can stand up to Rex while supporting his vision...that could be a tremendous shot in the arm for the Jets. That would be my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Who would you want as a HC candidate???
    Gruden

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Rex lost the team because of bad bets on personnel - he's not parcells. I can live with Rex's game plan; I love his defense and I hope he can stay or keep it fresh. Someone in personnel that can stand up to Rex while supporting his vision...that could be a tremendous shot in the arm for the Jets. That would be my preference.
    This isn't fantasy football. BETS on personnel? Somehow I dont see teams like the Giants, Steelers etc..thinking in terms of BETS on draft day.

I bet that Hatian kid at UMASS would be a good bet!

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    This isn't fantasy football. BETS on personnel? Somehow I dont see teams like the Giants, Steelers etc..thinking in terms of BETS on draft day.

I bet that Hatian kid at UMASS would be a good bet!
    They are contracts; implying that they are performance based. Past performance is an uneven guarantee of future performance.

dregs of michael's teams? lyons, klecko, gastineau, buttle, todd, powell, walker, alexander, mcneil, hector, etc were dregs? ryan wishes he had those players and i don't see where the jets have taken that much of a step back from when mangini left, personel wise except at qb.

walton's biggest problem is his qb was more intent on completion percentage instead of throwing the ball away and then he was saddled with the strike year that ripped the team apart. he should have done much better with the players he had.

Walton and Coslet inherited the bitter dregs of the Michaels team, didn't have a fraction of the talent that Ryan inherited in 2009.

What we now know to be true is that Ryan is a good postseason coach and a lousy regular season coach. That doesn't work.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Leon played a total of 7 games for Rex and had 331 yds and no tds.. Lucky they had Greene who filled in nicely.. Kris Jenkins played a total of 7 games for Rex in 2 years and Mangini did leave the Ghost for Rex but no QB's.. Ok Clemens if you want to get picky.. The best players Mangini left were Revis,Harris and TJ..
    And Brick, and Mangold, and Woody, and Cotchery, and Keller, and Pace /Thomas (both had good years in 2009/2010).Some of These players may nit have been big names, but they were hard playing, disciplined players that were productive and under Mangini learned to play above their talent level.

The reason Mangini didnt leave Rex a QB is because he wasnt given one himself. He was forced to trade Penny so that he can have an over the hill Favre who made it clear that he was playing for us only one year until he could go to Minny. He also undermined Mangini and the entire team by not telling them he was playing with a torn bicep after the team srarted 8-3.

Talking about what coaches left/inherited masks the main issue here. The JOB of a head coach and his staff is to take the players they have, however they acquired them, and make them better. And this is the biggest fault of this coach and his staff....they don't make their players better. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Talking about what coaches left/inherited masks the main issue here. The JOB of a head coach and his staff is to take the players they have, however they acquired them, and make them better. And this is the biggest fault of this coach and his staff....they don't make their players better. Case closed.
    Amen brother.
    Thats the #1 reason why Rex and his staff need to go

SAR I
    So, Walt went 6-3 with a Terrible QB, making it to the playoff's two straight seasons including a trip to the AFCCG, AND he did this with a no talent team?Don't get me wrong, I love Walt Michael's, but he was not a good enough coach to win with no talent. His strength was identifying talented players. If your take is correct, then Walt should be in the HOF for what he accomplished with a bad team.

Mangini's team went 8-3 before Favre got injured.
    SAR I
    Mangini's "team" went 4-12 in the prior year, then 1-4 without Favre. So, minus Favre, Manigini's team was 5-16. How do you figure that that "team" was any good?

Ryan's first season was loaded with decent defensive talent between Mangini's guys and the Raven FA's he brought in and he inherited quality at the RB position with Jones and Washington, defense and rushing the two keys to Ryan's coaching strategy.
    SAR I
    Now you're talking about guys Rex "added", but when you started you were talking about the "teams" inherited by Rex as compared to Walton/Coslet.

This is the disgusting part of the Jets having a bad season... A bunch of retards who think they know something about football start blaming the wrong stuff.

It's embarrassing, much like a majority of this fanbase.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    My candidates would include:

Bill Cowher
    Joe Vitt
    Jon Gruden
    Mike Zimmer
    Eric Mangini
    Todd Haley
    The Notre Dame coach
    You know things have to be really bad when Eric Mangini is starting to look good.