Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Myers' 5 steps to fix the Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So gary myers thinks rex should be back as head coach, tanny back as gm and mark back as qb? Brilliant article.

Just fire sparano who is saddled with the worst qb in the nfl and get rid of tebow who doesnt even play.

Hes as delusional as rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Exactly. Sticking with rex for continuity sake makes no sense at all. Should we have stuck with Kotite rather than hire Parcells in order to keep continuity intact?

Why werent these clowns talking about continuity when Mangini got fired? The media wants Rex here because he gives them stuff to write about. Has nothing to do with whats good for the team.
    u can fire rex.. but the man only can work with what he got.. i personally think rex is a good coach.. i just feel the GM did him no favors the past 2 years.. guy like pace, scott,thomas should of been replaced on Defense 2 yrs ago.

braylon should of been resigned, cotchery should of never been traded , Greene should of never been giving the keys to the running game.

there is just way to many holes on this roster for me to completely blame rex.. mangini had a pretty good roster and couldn't get good results..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was the same plan last off season, with the exception of a DFO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    u can fire rex.. but the man only can work with what he got.. i personally think rex is a good coach.. i just feel the GM did him no favors the past 2 years.. guy like pace, scott,thomas should of been replaced on Defense 2 yrs ago.

braylon should of been resigned, cotchery should of never been traded , Greene should of never been giving the keys to the running game.

there is just way to many holes on this roster for me to completely blame rex.. mangini had a pretty good roster and couldn't get good results..
    Why do you think Rex is a good coach?
    His teams are undisciplined, keep repeating the same mental mistakes, lack in fundamentals, and players are not held accountable when they screw up. That is not a sign of a well coached team.

I agree that Tanny should also be canned. But this team does have some talent, especially on defense. This is not Jacksonville, yet we are playing on a similar level.

Mangini had a barren roster when he took over and finished 10-6 his first year. Second year he had a worse roster and did crappy. Third year an over the hill Favre was forced on him and he finished with the same record as Rex. But Rex got lucky and 9-7 was good enough to get to the playoffs that year.
    Last edited by kennyo7; 11-25-2012 at 09:12 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Stopped reading after "not fire Rex Ryan".

"Continuity" with a know nothing blowhard who has lost any credibility with his own players is continuity........of incompetence. He doesnt get it, shows no signs of having grown in the job and continues to write checks with his mouth he cant cash...while life-long fans are stuck defending his immature, grandiose blathering.

-
    +1

Amen.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Myers article:

One of the reasons Jerricho Cotchery forced his release from the Jets in training camp last year was because of Plaxico Burress. He was tired of the Jets first bringing in Braylon Edwards, then Holmes and finally Burress ahead of him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. I would keep Ryan and Mr. T. This is their mess, they should have a chance to clean it up.
    2. Totally change up the coaching staff on the offense side of the ball.
    3.Get rid of Tebow; get a real Backup and have a open QB competition next training camp.
    4. Get rid of Scott, Pace, and Thomas, the LB core needs a total overhaul.
    5. Add a veteran WR, and draft a RB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy927 View Post
    1. I would keep Ryan and Mr. T. This is their mess, they should have a chance to clean it up.
    2. Totally change up the coaching staff on the offense side of the ball.
    3.Get rid of Tebow; get a real Backup and have a open QB competition next training camp.
    4. Get rid of Scott, Pace, and Thomas, the LB core needs a total overhaul.
    5. Add a veteran WR, and draft a RB.
    Agree with allbut the first statement. Rex and Tanny created this mess but have shown nothing to suggest they can clean it up. They keep repeating their mistakes. Especially Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you 100%

It is a very good and fair article from Myers for a change. He correctly points out that the Jets skill position players are the worst in the league!!

For this reason Rex will definitely get another chance and he points out the obvious that Woody likes Tanny so this plan help keep him place without over turning the entire system. So it shows real thought and wasn't just a hachet piece.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Agree with allbut the first statement. Rex and Tanny created this mess but have shown nothing to suggest they can clean it up. They keep repeating their mistakes. Especially Rex.
    +1

Repeating mistakes....then p*ssing on our legs and telling us its raining.

We're Jet fans man....we have been at this a while.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1. Fire Rex Ryan.
    2. Hire a personnel expert with final say.
    3. Find real playmakers for Mark Sanchez.
    4. Dump Tony Sparano
    5. Sign a dominant pass rusher in free agency.

SAR I
    I'm on the fence with Rex. If you listen to the retired players and "experts" around the league, they all say he is a brilliant football mind.

Is it him or the people around him that is causing the results we are witnessing?

On the fence with Sanchez also. Year 4 and he still makes the same idiotic mistakes game in and game out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

At least get the facts right. Cotch wasn't traded. He was released and because he wanted out.

Good coaches find ways to work with what "they got"...

Would a Parcells, Bellichick (or any other competent Head Coach) coached team look this unprepared and undisciplined on a consistent basis? NO!!!

Want to get rid of Tanny, go right ahead but Rex doesn't come back otherwise it will get worse before getting better.
    Last edited by C Mart; 11-25-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

The Season is not over

All,

Understanding the passion that we feel for our beloved team, we must keep in mind that the season is not finished and the JETS have five games remaining. If the Jets finish 8-8 or 9-7, Rex will receive credit for holding this team and going four years without a losing season with a talent base that has eroded during his term. The pundits will give Rex credit (Woody's reading the same articles we are)!

The real issue is the Front Office who drafted the likes of Stephen Hill and others. I am willing to bet money that Woody keeps Rex. Rex has brought Woody the most success he has enjoyed (2 AFC Championship Games) as well as the pub he seeks (albeit at a price). Yes, Woody forced the TEBOW move on this team - and that is a reason why I believe, with an 9-7 or 8-8 season, Woody will not remove Rex. Tanny & Sparano are more on the hook than Rex...

Just a thought

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1. Fire Rex Ryan.
    2. Hire a personnel expert with final say.
    3. Find real playmakers for Mark Sanchez.
    4. Dump Tony Sparano
    5. Sign a dominant pass rusher in free agency.

SAR I
    The problem with this scenario once again is that this plan doesn't include fixing/drafting someone for your offensive line. You've selected a plethora of 1st round defensive draft choices with Coples, Wilkerson, Wilson & Harris while the offensive line has been backfield with Hunter, Howard, Slauson and Smith. Ducasse is a bust as a second round pick. Sanchez's stats and production would be far better if he had an offensive line that pushed the line for RB's and gave him a pocket to throw the ball. The defense even at it's worse is a top 15 defense and when Revis is healthy a top 8 defense. I can understand drafting a OLB but not in the first round or even second, it just isn't a higher priority than the OL or offense as a whole.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I'm on the fence with Rex. If you listen to the retired players and "experts" around the league, they all say he is a brilliant football mind.

Is it him or the people around him that is causing the results we are witnessing?

On the fence with Sanchez also. Year 4 and he still makes the same idiotic mistakes game in and game out.
    That doesn't make him a good Head Coach...

And I'm guessing these "experts" said or meant to say "brilliant defensive mind"...Although his "brilliant defensive mind" still can't make a stop when his defense needs to to close out a game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    That doesn't make him a good Head Coach...

And I'm guessing these "experts" said or meant to say "brilliant defensive mind"...Although his "brilliant defensive mind" still can't make a stop when his defense needs to to close out a game.
    Rex is the defensive version of Mike Martz.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowngreengang View Post
    All,

Understanding the passion that we feel for our beloved team, we must keep in mind that the season is not finished and the JETS have five games remaining. If the Jets finish 8-8 or 9-7, Rex will receive credit for holding this team and going four years without a losing season with a talent base that has eroded during his term. The pundits will give Rex credit (Woody's reading the same articles we are)!

The real issue is the Front Office who drafted the likes of Stephen Hill and others. I am willing to bet money that Woody keeps Rex. Rex has brought Woody the most success he has enjoyed (2 AFC Championship Games) as well as the pub he seeks (albeit at a price). Yes, Woody forced the TEBOW move on this team - and that is a reason why I believe, with an 9-7 or 8-8 season, Woody will not remove Rex. Tanny & Sparano are more on the hook than Rex...

Just a thought
    This place was ecstatic with the Hill pick

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=243741&page=8

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Gary said makes perfect sense, except

1. Ryan has lost this team for the second year in a row. What is going to change in order for him to regain control? Not having Sanchez as the QB would be a start.

2. What legitimate personnel guy is going to want to come here knowing his boss is embattled. Does Cohen qualify?

3. If Woody brings in Michael Vick, I will be done with this team until Wody sells. Plain and simple, he is the biggest POS in the league AND his skills are waning. I'm pretty confident that this move will turn off at least a portion of the fan base.

4. As another poster stated, Haley wanted no part of this team last year. So since The Sanchez mariage will be going on for another year, no one will want to come here this offseason.

As far as Tebow and Sporano, I'm indifferent on both. Neither one is a root problem or a solution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place was ecstatic with the Hill pick
    I think most of us liked his size and speed. We knew he was raw but figured he just needed a year or two to devop some skill.

We assumed our front office and scouts would pick up on something like the fact that he never catches the ball with his hands.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kidnap Jerry Richardson's grandchildren and as ransom force a trade of Sanchez, Tebow and holMEs (including taking over all thier financials) for Cam Newton.

Use the freed up cap money hire vet recievers, OL, and LBs. See how easy that was?