Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Myers' 5 steps to fix the Jets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    This place was ecstatic with the Hill pick

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=243741&page=8
    The Hill pick was still the right pick. It is extremely rare for rookie WRs to make impacts. Hill is flawed, that is why he went in the second round. He should have been the number 4 or 5 option. Not starting.

Its OK to give DuCasse 3 years o develop, but we expect Hill to our #1 WR as a rookie? Look what the Niners are doing with Jenkins or GB did with Cobb.

Let the speed of the game slow down. Now Cobb is a beast.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think most of us liked his size and speed. We knew he was raw but figured he just needed a year or two to devop some skill.

We assumed our front office and scouts would pick up on something like the fact that he never catches the ball with his hands.
    That's correctable with good coaching.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb REMEMBER- REX LOST THE LOCKER ROOM AND IS NOW 4-10 OVER LAST 14 GAMES

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1. Fire Rex Ryan.
    2. Hire a personnel expert with final say.
    3. Find real playmakers for Mark Sanchez.
    4. Dump Tony Sparano
    5. Sign a dominant pass rusher in free agency.

SAR I
    + I will second this motion of Mr. Sar and vote against Gary Myers opinions.

What good is continuity if the team is 4-10 over the last 14 games under Rex.He has run the team down since the Mangini era players left.

The personnel decisions have been atrocious; the team speed at LineBacker is probably the slowest in football, etc. We could go on for hours....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    The Hill pick was still the right pick. It is extremely rare for rookie WRs to make impacts. Hill is flawed, that is why he went in the second round. He should have been the number 4 or 5 option. Not starting.

Its OK to give DuCasse 3 years o develop, but we expect Hill to our #1 WR as a rookie? Look what the Niners are doing with Jenkins or GB did with Cobb.

Let the speed of the game slow down. Now Cobb is a beast.
    Agree...I never said it wasn't..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think its correctable. I think he catches w his body because he has terrible hands. Hes been taught from pop warner how to catch a football. I believe he doesnt catch with his hands because he cant and has no confidence.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are not going to blame rex because lack of talent then how can you blame tony sparano?

Tony has the worst qb in the nfl, the worst starting rb in the nfl etc.

Sparano is working with this "lack of talent" as well so if ur gonna let rex off the hook because of it, u have to let sparano off as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I dont think its correctable. I think he catches w his body because he has terrible hands. Hes been taught from pop warner how to catch a football. I believe he doesnt catch with his hands because he cant and has no confidence.
    Who the heck knows what he has or hasn't been taught and by whom...It's correctable..Rice suffered with the drops his rookie...And I'm not saying Hill is or will be Rice..But it's correctable

Too Deep Zone: Jerry Rice, Rookie Bust

by Mike Tanier

Twenty-one years ago this week, Bill Walsh stood before the skeptical Bay Area media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the 49ers' troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.

The rookie's name was Jerry Rice.

The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Niners fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes. Freddie Solomon, a respected veteran who caught touchdown passes in 10 straight games in 1984, had become the invisible man in the Niners offense while Montana and Rice played pitch 'n' drop.

But Walsh held his ground, supported Rice, and kept him in the weekly gameplan. "At some point, the boos will turn to cheers," predicted Walsh during a press conference on November 18th, 1985.

That point was only a few weeks away.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wal...ce-rookie-bust

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who the heck knows what he has or hasn't been taught and by whom...It's correctable..Rice suffered with the drops his rookie...And I'm not saying Hill is or will be Rice..But it's correctable

Too Deep Zone: Jerry Rice, Rookie Bust

by Mike Tanier

Twenty-one years ago this week, Bill Walsh stood before the skeptical Bay Area media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the 49ers' troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.

The rookie's name was Jerry Rice.

The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Niners fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes. Freddie Solomon, a respected veteran who caught touchdown passes in 10 straight games in 1984, had become the invisible man in the Niners offense while Montana and Rice played pitch 'n' drop.

But Walsh held his ground, supported Rice, and kept him in the weekly gameplan. "At some point, the boos will turn to cheers," predicted Walsh during a press conference on November 18th, 1985.

That point was only a few weeks away.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wal...ce-rookie-bust
    Great find. Thanks for posting!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place was ecstatic with the Hill pick

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=243741&page=8
    Can't hold the fans to the same standards as the FO "professionals" who get paid to evaluate players.

I LOVED HILL. I never expected him to step in and be great from the jump. We all knew he would take time. Like Collinsworth said, he is as "green" as they come. Lets face it, if Hill was a polished WR with great hands he would have been a Top 5 pick.

He did have a reputation of dropping some balls in college. Having a case of the "dropsies" is one thing, but this is much worse. He is a body-catcher that rarely uses his hands. But even when he uses his body, he drops the ball. He hasn't seen many targets but he has the highest drop rate in the NFL, I think it was something like 30%. Its Week 11, I think we should have seen an improvement in his technique by now.

I am not sure how he can improve on this. Looks like he has a great work ethic. They tell us he is constantly on the jugs machine. In the combine he was excellent in his drills and caught everything with his hands. Maybe this WR coach isn't any good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Can't hold the fans to the same standards as the FO "professionals" who get paid to evaluate players.

I LOVED HILL. I never expected him to step in and be great from the jump. We all knew he would take time. Like Collinsworth said, he is as "green" as they come. Lets face it, if Hill was a polished WR with great hands he would have been a Top 5 pick.

He did have a reputation of dropping some balls in college. Having a case of the "dropsies" is one thing, but this is much worse. He is a body-catcher that rarely uses his hands. But even when he uses his body, he drops the ball. He hasn't seen many targets but he has the highest drop rate in the NFL, I think it was something like 30%. Its Week 11, I think we should have seen an improvement in his technique by now.

I am not sure how he can improve on this. Looks like he has a great work ethic. They tell us he is constantly on the jugs machine. In the combine he was excellent in his drills and caught everything with his hands. Maybe this WR coach isn't any good.
    See above.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Not Fire Rex Ryan

Rex should only be retained if we can get a proper GM to tune him in.

2. Hire A Personnel Expert With Final Say

The biggest thing about being a cap expert is to know WHO to give out the long term deals to. Tanny has failed badly in this area. Other than that I agree with Myers but have no faith that rex and tanny would not meddled in that side of the team even if we hire someone.

3. Find Real Competition For Mark Sanchez

Well fing DUH! Something that should have happend 3 years ago.

4. Dump Tony Sparano

A few of us said at the time it was an awful awful hire. I couldn't believe the number of people that threw rose petals at this guys feet when he was hired.

5. Say Goodbye To Terrible Tim

Tebow should be number 78 on the list of things to do to this team. I'm still gobsmacked that people actually think a 4 play a game wild cat guy who ddoesn't play is a big problem for this team. Tim Tebow is used by fans and media alike to deflect the tons of real problems with the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Fire Rex Ryan.
    2. Hire a personnel expert with final say.
    3. Find real playmakers for Mark Sanchez.
    4. Dump Tony Sparano
    5. Sign a dominant pass rusher in free agency.

SAR I
    correct except for Sanchez. He is beyond awful. You keep letting his brief flashes delude you. His mechanics are atrocious. He never has, still can't, and never will be able to read the entire field and perform like a true pro. He is **THAT** limited in his field vision. One of the worst QBs in the NFL. The Jets can't get rid of him fast enough. He is a turnover machine regardless of the RB and WRs they put around him. Plus he is incredibly inaccurate. He misses wide open receivers on a regular basis, including when there is no pressure on him. You need to open your eyes to this bum. You are so very wrong about him. If you do the other 4 things and keep Sanchez, the Jets will suck just about the same as now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't make him a good Head Coach...

And I'm guessing these "experts" said or meant to say "brilliant defensive mind"...Although his "brilliant defensive mind" still can't make a stop when his defense needs to to close out a game.
    I agree and have questioned his hc skills since hard knocks.

I'm just not on board to change for the sake of change without a plan and viable person to take his place.

What coach worth anything would want this job right now?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    correct except for Sanchez. He is beyond awful. You keep letting his brief flashes delude you. His mechanics are atrocious. He never has, still can't, and never will be able to read the entire field and perform like a true pro. He is **THAT** limited in his field vision. One of the worst QBs in the NFL. The Jets can't get rid of him fast enough. He is a turnover machine regardless of the RB and WRs they put around him. Plus he is incredibly inaccurate. He misses wide open receivers on a regular basis, including when there is no pressure on him. You need to open your eyes to this bum. You are so very wrong about him. If you do the other 4 things and keep Sanchez, the Jets will suck just about the same as now.
    Agreed. Looking back it was obvious he would fail.

The biggest knock on him was his accuracy. So somehow, we all (fans and organization) thought he would improve at the NFL level.

We didnt give him an offensive genius to help. We let him build a great rapport with two legitimate WRs, then get rid of Cotchery and Edwards.

Under Mangini, the Front Office's philosophy was to have a great offensive line. The one year we didnt, we lost 12 games. In comes Rex, and its been abundantly clear, offensive line is a drastically low priority. As is LB. And WR. All I can hope for is that Wilkerson, Ellis, and Coples become the most dominant D-line in the game. Because DL and secondary have been the only two units that garner any attention from us now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I'm not going to get into a battle over Sanchez. Not like I'm 110% in his corner. More like 51%.

But as you well know, we've been waiting for a franchise quarterback since 1972 and I've seen enough flashes of "great" in Mark Sanchez during the past 3.5 seasons to give this barely-26 year old kid another look.

We know he has the least offensive-minded HC in the NFL. We know he has a lousy offensive coordinator. We know his receiving targets are a revolving door each year and this season's group the weakest of the bunch. We know we're built to win on a ferocious running game and Shonn Greene is a bust. We know our OL is a disaster and that Mark is punch-drunk from two years of being pummeled mercilessly.

So, again, I'm not going to scream to the high heavens that Mark Sanchez is our savior. I don't feel that strongly that he is. BUT I feel VERY strongly that he's worth another look. The Jets went 16-4 once he shook off his rookie jitters. The Jets went 4-2 in the playoffs and Mark Sanchez was a big part of that, was the best Jet on the field in the two losses. There's something there that perhaps, perhaps, a better set of mentors and playmakers can get out of him.

And even if that chance is only 1 in 1,000 its well worth the investment. We're going to suck for awhile anyway. The defense and youth on this team is awful. Might as well let Mark have two more years as it's not going to make a difference who is under center.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to get into a battle over Sanchez. Not like I'm 110% in his corner. More like 51%.

But as you well know, we've been waiting for a franchise quarterback since 1972 and I've seen enough flashes of "great" in Mark Sanchez during the past 3.5 seasons to give this barely-26 year old kid another look.

We know he has the least offensive-minded HC in the NFL. We know he has a lousy offensive coordinator. We know his receiving targets are a revolving door each year and this season's group the weakest of the bunch. We know we're built to win on a ferocious running game and Shonn Greene is a bust. We know our OL is a disaster and that Mark is punch-drunk from two years of being pummeled mercilessly.

So, again, I'm not going to scream to the high heavens that Mark Sanchez is our savior. I don't feel that strongly that he is. BUT I feel VERY strongly that he's worth another look. The Jets went 16-4 once he shook off his rookie jitters. The Jets went 4-2 in the playoffs and Mark Sanchez was a big part of that, was the best Jet on the field in the two losses. There's something there that perhaps, perhaps, a better set of mentors and playmakers can get out of him.

And even if that chance is only 1 in 1,000 its well worth the investment. We're going to suck for awhile anyway. The defense and youth on this team is awful. Might as well let Mark have two more years as it's not going to make a difference who is under center.

SAR I
    While I agree with just about every word of your post and have been on the same page as you for at least the last two seasons, this is waht worries me about Sanchez.

We cannot recruit good offensive coaches to come here. He was called out by at three receivers last year. The only offensive players that are vocally supporting him are the classically under-performing Keller and Slauson he is being screwed by this front office.

I feel that Sanchez's accuracy is the worst in the league of QBs, that are secure in their starting status. This is going to hold back Kerley and Hill's development. Kerley would be putting up HUGE numbers if he were a Packer, Saint, Falcon.

In addition, he is a turnover machine. This loses games and locker rooms.

He still misses wide open receivers. Consistently.

I am absolutely certain, we are either going to see all or nothing in regards to a rebuild next year. Its either Tanny, Rex, and Sanchez are all gone, or they are all here. The one saving grace is that even if they are all retained for 2013, it will be their last.

We have a ton of cap space fpr 2014. Looks like we could be very attractive fto a FO/HC wonder team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. draft a qb or bring in a free agent that can actually challenge sanchez and take his job.
    2. draft talent on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball

that's all I got.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    2. Hire A Personnel Expert With Final Say

The biggest thing about being a cap expert is to know WHO to give out the long term deals to. Tanny has failed badly in this area. Other than that I agree with Myers but have no faith that rex and tanny would not meddled in that side of the team even if we hire someone.
    Umm, no the biggest thing for a cap expert is the cap, the personnel expect would tell the cap expert who is worth keeping and have the cap expert figure out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    5. Say Goodbye To Terrible Tim

Tebow should be number 78 on the list of things to do to this team. I'm still gobsmacked that people actually think a 4 play a game wild cat guy who ddoesn't play is a big problem for this team. Tim Tebow is used by fans and media alike to deflect the tons of real problems with the team.
    I think the issue is, he isn't help bring the locker room together, but rather cause a bigger rift. He's not really doing any good being here, no need to keep him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    This is why he is still HC and why Mangini wasnt given a fair chance
    +1 ... Mangini is a much better HC ... Rex is a much better DC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    Umm, no the biggest thing for a cap expert is the cap, the personnel expect would tell the cap expert who is worth keeping and have the cap expert figure out how to do it.

I think the issue is, he isn't help bring the locker room together, but rather cause a bigger rift. He's not really doing any good being here, no need to keep him.
    I agree .... If we ain't gonna use his ass ... Send him packing. Not his fault .. But he is not being allowed to help.