Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gary Myers' 5 steps to fix the Jets

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy927 View Post
    1. I would keep Ryan and Mr. T. This is their mess, they should have a chance to clean it up.
    2. Totally change up the coaching staff on the offense side of the ball.
    3.Get rid of Tebow; get a real Backup and have a open QB competition next training camp.
    4. Get rid of Scott, Pace, and Thomas, the LB core needs a total overhaul.
    5. Add a veteran WR, and draft a RB.
    I'd like #4 also, but we have a disaster on the other side of the ball as well. We should release Scott, or bring him back for vet min. Start Davis and Harris in the middle. Sign Thomas/Pace for vet min and if they decide to move on you can up the ante on the better of the two. Draft an OLB in round 1 or 2 and maybe one later.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typos

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    The problem with this scenario once again is that this plan doesn't include fixing/drafting someone for your offensive line. You've selected a plethora of 1st round defensive draft choices with Coples, Wilkerson, Wilson & Harris while the offensive line has been backfield with Hunter, Howard, Slauson and Smith. Ducasse is a bust as a second round pick. Sanchez's stats and production would be far better if he had an offensive line that pushed the line for RB's and gave him a pocket to throw the ball. The defense even at it's worse is a top 15 defense and when Revis is healthy a top 8 defense. I can understand drafting a OLB but not in the first round or even second, it just isn't a higher priority than the OL or offense as a whole.
    I agree, OL has to be a priority, but we can't beat Brady, or get deep in the playoffs without a solid pass rush. We need to draft an OLB round 1 or 2 and RT in the other. Beyond the 1st and 2nd we need a RB, an OG and another OLB.

I would be happy with:

1st - If dominant OLB/RT are available take them. Let's assume we trade back and get a solid RT and extra 2nd and 3rd.
    2nd - OLB
    2nd - RB
    3rd - OLB, OG, Free Safety in that order
    3rd - OG, Free Safety Dominant FB in that order
    4th - Whatever is left of the above, or the best dynamic playmaker left on the board (RB).
    5th - Best dynamic playmaker left on the board. (WR).
    6th - Best blocking TE on the board, or OG
    7th - Whatever we didn't get in 6.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typos

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    This place was ecstatic with the Hill pick

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=243741&page=8
    Say what you will about Hill, but he does get open and does work hard. When we get some solid receivers opposite him (Holmes?) and Kerley back in his spot, people will still have to account for Hill and I do feel he will get better at catching the ball.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Who the heck knows what he has or hasn't been taught and by whom...It's correctable..Rice suffered with the drops his rookie...And I'm not saying Hill is or will be Rice..But it's correctable

Too Deep Zone: Jerry Rice, Rookie Bust

by Mike Tanier

Twenty-one years ago this week, Bill Walsh stood before the skeptical Bay Area media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the 49ers' troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.

The rookie's name was Jerry Rice.

The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Niners fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes. Freddie Solomon, a respected veteran who caught touchdown passes in 10 straight games in 1984, had become the invisible man in the Niners offense while Montana and Rice played pitch 'n' drop.

But Walsh held his ground, supported Rice, and kept him in the weekly gameplan. "At some point, the boos will turn to cheers," predicted Walsh during a press conference on November 18th, 1985.

That point was only a few weeks away.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wal...ce-rookie-bust
    Hill has show an uncanny ability to get open deep then drops the ball. For this season I'll take it. We haven't had a deep threat like him in years and we need to give him time to develop. If he reduces his drops we could have something special.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not going to get into a battle over Sanchez. Not like I'm 110% in his corner. More like 51%.

But as you well know, we've been waiting for a franchise quarterback since 1972 and I've seen enough flashes of "great" in Mark Sanchez during the past 3.5 seasons to give this barely-26 year old kid another look.

We know he has the least offensive-minded HC in the NFL. We know he has a lousy offensive coordinator. We know his receiving targets are a revolving door each year and this season's group the weakest of the bunch. We know we're built to win on a ferocious running game and Shonn Greene is a bust. We know our OL is a disaster and that Mark is punch-drunk from two years of being pummeled mercilessly.

So, again, I'm not going to scream to the high heavens that Mark Sanchez is our savior. I don't feel that strongly that he is. BUT I feel VERY strongly that he's worth another look. The Jets went 16-4 once he shook off his rookie jitters. The Jets went 4-2 in the playoffs and Mark Sanchez was a big part of that, was the best Jet on the field in the two losses. There's something there that perhaps, perhaps, a better set of mentors and playmakers can get out of him.

And even if that chance is only 1 in 1,000 its well worth the investment. We're going to suck for awhile anyway. The defense and youth on this team is awful. Might as well let Mark have two more years as it's not going to make a difference who is under center.

SAR I
    Couldn't agree more. Let's get him some support and a solid backup, before the few good players we do have on offense get too old.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Looks like the 2013 draft is full of quality offensive tacklesÖ Chargers desperately need to get one of them. #BALvsSD

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Hill has show an uncanny ability to get open deep then drops the ball. For this season I'll take it. We haven't had a deep threat like him in years and we need to give him time to develop. If he reduces his drops we could have something special.
    I saw Hill as a pick that would help more in the future than in this year, he's a player with tools but who is raw. I'm not surprised he's had his struggles this year, they don't mean he won't become a good WR, maybe even a #1 WR in a few years.

He's similar to Demariyus Thomas in having great physical skills and coming from Ga. Tech where they hardly ever threw the ball. Thomas has 22 receptions for 283 yards and 2 TD his rookie season, by year 3 now he will be a 1000 yard receiver. Hill can follow the same path.

To a lesser extent, I saw Coples and Davis as picks that may pay off more down the road than this year, they weren't positions of the most dire needs (such as RT or pass-rushing OLB), but should pay off more in a year or two. Far too early to judge based on this rookie season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Say what you will about Hill, but he does get open and does work hard. When we get some solid receivers opposite him (Holmes?) and Kerley back in his spot, people will still have to account for Hill and I do feel he will get better at catching the ball.
    How long can we reasonably expect it to take? The coaches are working hard at this one aspect, I have to admit. They have him doing drills where he is sitting on the ground and catching balls thrown at him from that position, in an apparent attempt to get him to disconnect his arms from his body and start using them instead of his body. At the last game in warmups the coach was with him in the endzone throwing balls at him from a short distance where he was not supposed to move, just adjust his arms then bring the ball in close to his body and down to the side. He does these drills well, when will it translate to the game?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Look, the guy has had trouble holding onto the ball, but if you look at some of the drops, it is out of agression as he turns to look for the YAC before he catches it. He needs to relax and understand that he needs to look the ball into his hands. First things first. This should be easily corrected.

On the other hand, what I don;t hear people saying is how wide open the guy continually gets. People are pissed off because he drops balls when he is wide open! That is the hard part to teach a receiver and I think he is doing exceptionally well in that aspect. He is also blocking very well. Please relax on this guy and give him a chance.
    On target 100%. It's been a long time since I've seen someone in a Jets uniform get so open. The balls he has dropped are mostly due to him being anxious to run with it. He will get better and will be a force that must be accounted for which will free up the other receivers we have just needs time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangenius for GM!!!
    Wasn't he there when we drafted Gholston and in Cleveland didn't he trade the 5th overall pick for a bunch of scrubs that are no longer on the team?
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to include Cleveland reference

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has to go. His hands-off approach to offense is just not the way a HC is supposed to operate. He's not prepared on a weekly basis and his whole philosophy is a relic in this day and age.

Tannenbaum could stay, only if Woody brings in a Director of Football Operations who gets control over personnel. Though, I would not be even slightly upset to see Mike T. get the boot.

I was very happy they drafted Stephen Hill. I still am. He has poor hands, but he can get better. Catching is something they can teach the kid. Who knows how much teaching was done up to this point in his life. You can't teach 6"4 220 and 4.3. As a 2nd round pick, he was worth the gamble.

Tebow is not what's wrong with this team. The poor guy doesn't get to play, even when the team is getting blown out.

They absolutely MUST bring in a QB next year to compete with Sanchez. A veteran or a rookie... I don't care. But it has to be someone who can provide a real threat to start.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangenius for GM!!!
    wow...where did I say that?