Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Mike DeVito

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530

    Mike DeVito

    Anybody else agree that he has been terrible this year?! Given, we often used him as a 4-3 DT next to Wilkerson but hell, he is getting washed out of almost every inside run play...

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,662
    Wait he still on the team? I have not noticed him all year

  3. #3
    Geezus, it never stops on this board.

    Devito is NOT Warren Sapp.

    He is a space eating, lunch pail player, who makes very little money, keeps his mouth shut and plays hard.

    We lost our 1st and 2nd string NTs forcing devito to play some NT which he isnt suited for.

    If we had a QB that didnt fumble or throw away 3 games this year there would be no mention whatsoever of mike devito.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Geezus, it never stops on this board.

    Devito is NOT Warren Sapp.

    He is a space eating, lunch pail player, who makes very little money, keeps his mouth shut and plays hard.

    We lost our 1st and 2nd string NTs forcing devito to play some NT which he isnt suited for.

    If we had a QB that didnt fumble or throw away 3 games this year there would be no mention whatsoever of mike devito.
    Devito has not been good... His main function on this team is to help against the run and we have not been good against the run for the entire year. He, along with Pouha offer ZERO against the pass so they really have to bring something to the table against the pass.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Devito has not been good... His main function on this team is to help against the run and we have not been good against the run for the entire year. He, along with Pouha offer ZERO against the pass so they really have to bring something to the table against the pass.
    Could our poor run defense have anything to do with the lack of lateral mobility of the entire linebacking corps or the fact that both ILBs rank in the bottom 10 in missed tackles?

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Devito has not been good... His main function on this team is to help against the run and we have not been good against the run for the entire year. He, along with Pouha offer ZERO against the pass so they really have to bring something to the table against the pass.
    Our inability to stop the run has more to do with Pouha being absent than DeVito's play, IMO. My guess is that even when he has been playing, he's not healthy.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,659
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Geezus, it never stops on this board.

    Devito is NOT Warren Sapp.

    He is a space eating, lunch pail player, who makes very little money, keeps his mouth shut and plays hard.

    We lost our 1st and 2nd string NTs forcing devito to play some NT which he isnt suited for.

    If we had a QB that didnt fumble or throw away 3 games this year there would be no mention whatsoever of mike devito.
    Still, it just goes to show what scrubs and lack of depth and talent we have on defense on this team. We know the offense sucks but at least Rex's defense in Baltimore used to win games for them.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Still, it just goes to show what scrubs and lack of depth and talent we have on defense on this team. We know the offense sucks but at least Rex's defense in Baltimore used to win games for them.
    Its probably much easier to coordinate a top defense when you have 3 hall of famers on it and can be a "players coach" because you dont need to worry about motivation or effort of the players.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    He is another example of a player that is vastly overrated by our coaching staff... I dont blame him, he should be a rotational player.

    As mentioned, another problem is that Pouha hasnt been healthy all year. Same goes for Kenrick Ellis.

  10. #10
    Nothing new IMO he has been a JAG for years.

  11. #11
    Devito is an UDFA who works really hard but has limited physical skills. Hes a nice depth player but has no business starting. I like him. He is a good guy and i wish we had more depth players like him. But he is not a starter. I hope he is back next year playing a role more suited to his skills.

  12. #12
    He's a good rotational and situational player who can play 3-4 DE and NT ....

    Not exactly sure why Coples isn't starting and playing majority of snaps...

    Given the chance to play everydown (majority of snaps), Coples would grade out higher than Wilkerson did as a rookie . IMO..

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,662
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    He's a good rotational and situational player who can play 3-4 DE and NT ....

    Not exactly sure why Coples isn't starting and playing majority of snaps...

    Given the chance to play everydown (majority of snaps), Coples would grade out higher than Wilkerson did as a rookie . IMO..
    This would be the perfect time to start Coples we have nothing to lose key him gain experience .

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Geezus, it never stops on this board.

    Devito is NOT Warren Sapp.

    He is a space eating, lunch pail player, who makes very little money, keeps his mouth shut and plays hard.

    We lost our 1st and 2nd string NTs forcing devito to play some NT which he isnt suited for.

    If we had a QB that didnt fumble or throw away 3 games this year there would be no mention whatsoever of mike devito.
    This. He's a Free Agent who played his college ball in Maine. I believe at this point we can say he has overshot his expectations. Plus he's my high school football coach's grandson.

  15. #15
    Devito is a 3-4 DE and thats about it. That is why I get frustrated with the Jets playing a 3-4 and using talented players in a spot where the function is to just be a stone block, control two gaps and only after making sure their gap responsibility is good they can make plays.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,171
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    He's a good rotational and situational player who can play 3-4 DE and NT ....

    Not exactly sure why Coples isn't starting and playing majority of snaps...

    Given the chance to play everydown (majority of snaps), Coples would grade out higher than Wilkerson did as a rookie . IMO..
    +1

    He is a good role player, 3-4 depth guy.

    He is not a great starting NT. That's not what he should be doing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us