Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Key players lost over the past two years

the thing about lt is that he could also block on passing downs. so many times the backs just fail to pick up the blitzer or not block effectively. lt was also a great pass receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    LT was the biggest lost on offense (since we still have Holmes). A very nice change of pace back that can catch out of the backfield, a very under appreciated ability until you have no one that can do it well. I dont think I've ever seen him drop a pass playing for the Jets. Greene can give you at least one drop per game guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the thing about lt is that he could also block on passing downs. so many times the backs just fail to pick up the blitzer or not block effectively. lt was also a great pass receiver.
    Yup,

Sanchez has gotten blasted a few time this season due to bad blocking from our backs.

All Pro
    For goodness sake,quit looking under every rock for the problem when it's steering us right in the face. The Jets took Mark Sanchez to 2 AFC championship games and we were not good enough to win either.He didn't take the Jets, The team took him.

The players were old going into those games and got older. Sanchez was supposed to take over where those guys left off and drag the new guys along with him.

He failed Miserably

He Is The Problem.

Mark Sanchez is the Problem.

The Niners are leading their division and have replaced their starting QB with someone who was on their roster but wasn't playing because the coaching staff didn't know what they had. The Jets are a losing team with a bad QB but won't even try anything else. It took an Injury for the niners to find out what they had. The Jet with their bad awful OL somehow manages to keep their miserable QB in every game. This mook won't even do the honorable thing and fake an injury.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 11-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Yes, the criticism of Tanny is more than fair. However, let's remember one important point too: after our 2nd AFCG we headed into the offseason with 17/18 free agents. Some very key to our success. We all knew that the Jets could not bring all of them back. The loss of some of those key contributors to our success in 2009 and 10 should not be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    For goodness sake,quit looking under every rock for the problem when it's steering us right in the face. The Jets took Mark Sanchez to 2 AFC championship games and we were not good enough to win either.He didn't take the Jets, The team took him.

The players were old going into those games and got older. Sanchez was supposed to take over where those guys left off and drag the new guys along with him.

He failed Miserably

He Is The Problem.

Mark Sanchez is the Problem.

The Niners are leading their division and have replaced their starting QB with someone who was on their roster but wasn't playing because the coaching staff didn't know what they had. The Jets are a losing team with a bad QB but won't even try anything else. It took an Injury for the niners to find out what they had. The Jet with their bad awful OL somehow manages to keep their miserable QB in every game. This mook won't even do the honorable thing and fake an injury.
    This team of which Sanchez is a member is the problem. Your myopic view of this football team ignores every other position. Are there Qbs who can do a better job than Sanchez did this year, YES. Are there any that would make us a playoff team, NO.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Gramatical

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    This team of which Sanchez is one is a member is the problem. Your myopic view of this football team ignores every other position. Are there Qbs who can do a better job than Sanchez did this year, YES. Are there any that would make us a playoff team, NO.
    If i may,i can give you a few middle of the road QBs that would make this Jet team a Playoff team.

In the AFC East.
    The Miami Dolphins backup QB

In the NFC East
    Tony terrible Romo

In the AFC west
    Carson Parlmer

In the NFC west
    Josh Freeman

Sanchez is the problem.

If i may,i can give you a few middle of the road QBs that would make this Jet team a Playoff team.

In the AFC East.

In the NFC East
    Tony terrible Romo

In the AFC west
    Carson Parlmer

In the NFC west
    Josh Freeman

Sanchez is the problem.
    Then how come they can't get their own teams in the playoffs. I would argue that at least 3 out of 4 of those teams are better than the Jets and the team that isn't traded a first and second rounder to get their QB who was a former #1 overall pick. Where has the trade gotten them? 3 and 8. Take my word for it, it takes a team.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    LT was the biggest lost on offense (since we still have Holmes). A very nice change of pace back that can catch out of the backfield, a very under appreciated ability until you have no one that can do it well. I dont think I've ever seen him drop a pass playing for the Jets. Greene can give you at least one drop per game guaranteed.
    Good post, agree.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

In the AFC East.

In the NFC East
    Tony terrible Romo

In the AFC west
    Carson Parlmer

In the NFC west
    Josh Freeman

Sanchez is the problem.
    You're crazy. Every one of those QB's has a ton more talent around them. QB's that *might* make the current Jets team a playoff team: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton. All future HOF'ers.

The Jets roster is pathetic, completely devoid of talent at almost every position.

Wanted to take a look at players we lost since we last went to the AFCCG which in my opinion have been inadequately replaced. I understand that some were at the end of their careers, but combine their loss with some weak drafts and it a good part of why we are where we are:

Damien Woody (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    LT (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Sean Ellis (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Tony Richardson (Multiple Pro Bowls).
    Take a look at the stats for the RBs who ran behind TR. He was the best at his position, a perennial pro bowler and effective well into his mid-30s.
    Braylon Edwards Was excellent his last season with us, no dropped balls and great blocking too aside from being our top receiver in yds and rec.
    Brad Smith - Was what Tebow will never be.
    Ben Hartsock - Best blocking TE we've had since Anthony Becht

That's a heck of alot of solid players to lose in the past two years and we haven't come close to replacing any of them.

Also some Solid Players who've been replaced, but it still feels like we lost something:

Jerricho Cotchery - Solid possession receiver with great hands and attitude.
    Jim Leonard - Solid coverage who could take out possession receivers, though injured in the playoffs.

I don't know about you guys, but that's a hell of alot of experience and talent to lose.
    I'd also add Alan Faneca to that list. I always really thought he was the spark plug for the Jets great OL play in 2009. He installed an attitude with that team. He wasn't a very good pass blocker at this late stage in his career, but he was still a devastating run blocker. I also believe this is indicative of the biggest problem with Tanny as GM.

Tanny doesn't seem to think the OL is important. That's based on the moves he's made in the past.

In 2007, he refused to give Pete Kendall a measily 1 million extra (which is chump change in football terms) just because he felt compelled to make this point to the team. Well, the proof is what unfolded on the field. Tanny biting off his nose just to spite his face is exactly what he did with Pete Kendall. What's worse is he chose to go with Adrien Clarke as a replacement. Talk about monumentally BAD decisions? That was the worst. The Jets went 4-12 that season and it was primarily due to a severely underperforming OL.

Then, there's the decision to go with Wayne Hunter after Damien Woody retired. Hunter was always an underachiever, coaching him up never paid off. I'm a little reluctant to blame him for that decision as many thought resigning Hunter for starters money (including myself)was the wise decision in the short term.

Unfortunately, Tanny was banking on Ducasse to become the starting RT and that never panned out.

Then, there's also that he's been neglectful of the OL for most of the time he's been the GM. Besides 2006, he's always tried to strike gold in the late rounds on an OL. Jacob Bender anyone? Meanwhile passing up guys he could have had on the first day of the draft that would have surely kept the OL up to snuff. Of course he tried drafting Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010, but he was a developmental player. I hate using 1st day picks on developmental players. NFL teams bank on yielding starters with their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

As everyone already knows, if you win at the LOS, odds are you are going to win the game. I wonder if Tanny understands that concept?
    Last edited by Mainejet; 11-25-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'd also add Alan Faneca to that list. I always really thought he was the spark plug for the Jets great OL play in 2009. He installed an attitude with that team. He wasn't a very good pass blocker at this late stage in his career, but he was still a devastating run blocker. I also believe this is indicative of the biggest problem with Tanny as GM.

Tanny doesn't seem to think the OL is important. That's based on the moves he's made in the past.

In 2007, he refused to give Pete Kendall a measily 1 million extra (which is chump change in football terms) just because he felt compelled to make this point to the team. Well, the proof is what unfolded on the field. Tanny biting off his nose just to spite his face is exactly what he did with Pete Kendall. What's worse is he chose to go with Adrien Clarke as a replacement. Talk about monumentally BAD decisions? That was the worst. The Jets went 4-12 that season and it was primarily due to a severely underperforming OL.

Then, there's the decision to go with Wayne Hunter after Damien Woody retired. Hunter was always an underachiever, coaching him up never paid off. I'm a little reluctant to blame him for that decision as many thought resigning Hunter for starters money (including myself)was the wise decision in the short term.

Unfortunately, Tanny was banking on Ducasse to become the starting RT and that never panned out.

Then, there's also that he's been neglectful of the OL for most of the time he's been the GM. Besides 2006, he's always tried to strike gold in the late rounds on an OL. Jacob Bender anyone? Meanwhile passing up guys he could have had on the first day of the draft that would have surely kept the OL up to snuff.

As everyone already knows, if you win at the LOS, odds are you are going to win the game. I wonder if Tanny understands that concept?
    I was comparing this team with the 2010 team so I didn't include Faneca. You're right on target with your post. OL is key for both our passing and running games, if you get that right the run can set up the pass and vice versa, makes the job infinitely easier for the QB. It's amazing the drop off on this team since Woody has left.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typo

I was comparing this team with the 2010 team so I didn't include Faneca. You're right on target with your post. OL is key for both our passing and running games, if you get that right the run can set up the pass and vice versa, makes the job infinitely easier for the QB. It's amazing the drop off on this team since Woody has left.
    There's a lot to be said for setting up the pass and vice versa. I agree totally with what you are saying, but it's also further evidence that Sanchez is not the answer at QB.

In 2010, we still had a very potent running game. Unfortunately, and the same is true today, the running game is the ONLY way we get the passing game going. Mark Sanchez has never been able to keep defenses honest and stay back in pass coverage. They've always sold out to shut down our running game because they do not believe Sanchez can beat them through the air. He's never been able to pass the ball enough to jump start a running game.

So good OL or not, it still can't help everyone. Mark sanchez is the biggest example.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    You're crazy. Every one of those QB's has a ton more talent around them. QB's that *might* make the current Jets team a playoff team: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton. All future HOF'ers.

The Jets roster is pathetic, completely devoid of talent at almost every position.
    I've been called worst. The Jets roster is not Devoid of talent.Talent is what u make of it. The team is young, and needs leadership. That's the biggest problem.

Great OP

Now we are beginning to understand the reasons why Tannenputz needs to go. He has done an abominable job evaluating talent and has let his ego get in the way of logic.

Wanted to take a look at players we lost since we last went to the AFCCG which in my opinion have been inadequately replaced. I understand that some were at the end of their careers, but combine their loss with some weak drafts and it a good part of why we are where we are:

Damien Woody (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    LT (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Sean Ellis (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Tony Richardson (Multiple Pro Bowls).
    Take a look at the stats for the RBs who ran behind TR. He was the best at his position, a perennial pro bowler and effective well into his mid-30s.
    Braylon Edwards Was excellent his last season with us, no dropped balls and great blocking too aside from being our top receiver in yds and rec.
    Brad Smith - Was what Tebow will never be.
    Ben Hartsock - Best blocking TE we've had since Anthony Becht

That's a heck of alot of solid players to lose in the past two years and we haven't come close to replacing any of them.

Also some Solid Players who've been replaced, but it still feels like we lost something:

Jerricho Cotchery - Solid possession receiver with great hands and attitude.
    Jim Leonard - Solid coverage who could take out possession receivers, though injured in the playoffs.

I don't know about you guys, but that's a hell of alot of experience and talent to lose.
    I stopped reading when you made a positive statement about Hartsock. Did you watch the Jets when he was on the team? Good blockers are players who can actually block people. Not guys who give up sacks as the 3rd string te and cant block anyone unless while in the act of committing a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I stopped reading when you made a positive statement about Hartsock. Did you watch the Jets when he was on the team? Good blockers are players who can actually block people. Not guys who give up sacks as the 3rd string te and cant block anyone unless while in the act of committing a penalty.
    I'll still take him over Mulligan and not sure anyone we have this year is any better. But thank you for reading that far. I'll take it you agreed with the guys above Hartsock.

Where Tanny missed the boat was that not only did he not replace theses guys talent wise, the loss of guys like LT, Woody, Tony Richardson, Brad Smith, & Cotchery from the locker room may be just as important. The lack of leadership on this team is glaring.
    Just because someone is a very good player does not make them a leader. Maybe just me, but i expected more from guys like Revis, DBrick, Harris, & Mangold.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    Where Tanny missed the boat was that not only did he not replace theses guys talent wise, the loss of guys like LT, Woody, Tony Richardson, Brad Smith, & Cotchery from the locker room may be just as important. The lack of leadership on this team is glaring.
    Just because someone is a very good player does not make them a leader. Maybe just me, but i expected more from guys like Revis, DBrick, Harris, & Mangold.
    I agree 100%. Woody, T-Rich .. those guys just seemed like natural leaders who spoke their mind if they saw a problem. And not just speak their mind, but say the correct thing!

Revis, Brick and Harris seem more like lead by example, quiet guys and Mangold appears to have regressed in the leadership dept. after looking as if he would become a solid one a few years back. Tanny definitely expected these guys, along with Sanchez, Scott, etc., to step up. But I don't think you can't force someone to be a great leader.

The Jets just don't seem to have enough natural leaders. Not even talking about Ray Lewis-types. Just guys who know when to say the right things and be a calming/firing up presence

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That is very true. Most of those however are not the Jets fault

Woody, LT, Jenkins, and Richardson retired. Ellis and Smith went to other teams because the other teams shelled out a lot of money. Both have failed in their new locations
    Just to be 100% accurate, Ellis retired too. He just went ahead and extorted 4 million from NE in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    Yup, he failed on both counts.