Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Key players lost over the past two years

Key players lost over the past two years

Wanted to take a look at players we lost since we last went to the AFCCG which in my opinion have been inadequately replaced. I understand that some were at the end of their careers, but combine their loss with some weak drafts and it a good part of why we are where we are:

Damien Woody (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    LT (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Sean Ellis (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Tony Richardson (Multiple Pro Bowls).
    Take a look at the stats for the RBs who ran behind TR. He was the best at his position, a perennial pro bowler and effective well into his mid-30s.
    Braylon Edwards Was excellent his last season with us, no dropped balls and great blocking too aside from being our top receiver in yds and rec.
    Brad Smith - Was what Tebow will never be.
    Ben Hartsock - Best blocking TE we've had since Anthony Becht

That's a heck of alot of solid players to lose in the past two years and we haven't come close to replacing any of them.

Also some Solid Players who've been replaced, but it still feels like we lost something:

Jerricho Cotchery - Solid possession receiver with great hands and attitude.
    Jim Leonard - Solid coverage who could take out possession receivers, though injured in the playoffs.

I don't know about you guys, but that's a hell of alot of experience and talent to lose.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Corrected some typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Wanted to take a look at players we lost since we last went to the AFCCG which in my opinion have been inadequately replaced. I understand that some were at the end of their careers, but combine their loss with some weak drafts and it a good part of why we are where we are:

LT (Multiple Pro Bowls)
    Take a look at the stats for the RBs who ran behind TR. He was the best at his position, a perennial pro bowler and effective well into his mid-30s.
    Braylon Edwards Was excellent his last season with us, no dropped balls and great blocking too aside from being our top receiver in yds and rec.

That's a heck of alot of solid players to lose in the past two years and we haven't come close to replacing any of them.

Also some Solid Players who've been replaced, but it still feels like we lost something:

Jim Leonard - Solid coverage who could take out possession receivers, though injured in the playoffs.

I don't know about you guys, but that's a hell of alot of experience and talent to lose.
    A huge problem is that Tanny overrates his own talent, but when the Jets lose players he does a terrible job of replacing them. I was going to poke fun at Hartsock being on this list, but Tanny replaced him with Mulligan. Mulligan was the worst TE I've ever seen.

we lost alot of talent that also contributed on special teams. tanny replaced them with slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    A huge problem is that Tanny overrates his own talent, but when the Jets lose players he does a terrible job of replacing them. I was going to poke fun at Hartsock being on this list, but Tanny replaced him with Mulligan. Mulligan was the worst TE I've ever seen.
    FB and Blocking TE are not glamorous positions, however when you replace them with a John Conner/Matt Mulligan then you realize their contributions. I thought you guys were going to kill me for the Becht comment another good blocker who couldn't catch a cold.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added another point

LT was the biggest lost on offense (since we still have Holmes). A very nice change of pace back that can catch out of the backfield, a very under appreciated ability until you have no one that can do it well. I dont think I've ever seen him drop a pass playing for the Jets. Greene can give you at least one drop per game guaranteed.

LT (Multiple Pro Bowls)

Exactly one of my major arguments about why the team has struggled this year.

Some of those players were lost to injury, career ending injuries or retirement.

The team has been forced to get younger with many of those players lost, and the youth haven't matured fast enough for this fan base, apparently 1 season, or a half a season depending on the player, is more than enough time for some here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Some of those players were lost to injury, career ending injuries or retirement.

The team has been forced to get younger with many of those players lost, and the youth haven't matured fast enough for this fan base, apparently 1 season, or a half a season depending on the player, is more than enough time for some here...
    Most were not lost to injury, the Jets knew their days were numbered, but continued to blow draft picks which made it even more difficult for us to plug the holes we needed too. Regardless we are where we are. Let's learn from our mistakes and at a minimum keep all our picks (I prefer trading back and picking up more) and start filling up some of our holes especially on offense and OLB. FB and Blocking TE's can be had throughout the draft and in FA. Let's bring in a few, or some veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    LT was the biggest lost on offense (since we still have Holmes). A very nice change of pace back that can catch out of the backfield, a very under appreciated ability until you have no one that can do it well. I dont think I've ever seen him drop a pass playing for the Jets. Greene can give you at least one drop per game guaranteed.
    Actually I thought for what we paid Holmes ($25M signing bonus) we could have filled several spots. That would have been one thing I would have done differently.

you forgot Jenkins and Pryce, both did solid jobs during their time in NY.

But is is not just losing players is was letting the LB get old and ignoring the safety positon.

Every NFL team has high turnover. The average life of a player is something like 3 or 4 years. So having a big portion of the roster change is normal business. Only long standing QB's (Brees, Brady, etc) really contradict this trend.

With the Jets I think there were some expectations that the young guys should step up when the vets like TRich, Faneca, Tomlinson left. That didn't happen. Was it a fault of the character of the young guys (Sanchez, DBrick, Harris, Revis ?). Was it bad coaching not to help the youngsters make the transition ? Was this failure of leadership destined to happen regardless of any other facts ? Those are the questions worth debating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Ha you act as if many of these losses are a result of some tragic unforeseeable occurrence. The reality is its nothing short of poor planning by the organization- this team has zero depth.

Unfortunately, its about to get a whole lot worse next year. There will be about 4-5 new starters next year- with almost no cap space and no qualified young players to assume starting responsibilities outside of maybe demarrio davis.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    you forgot Jenkins and Pryce, both did solid jobs during their time in NY.

But is is not just losing players is was letting the LB get old and ignoring the safety positon.
    Well Jenkins didn't do much in last year we were in the AFCCG, but you're correct about Pryce.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Every NFL team has high turnover. The average life of a player is something like 3 or 4 years. So having a big portion of the roster change is normal business. Only long standing QB's (Brees, Brady, etc) really contradict this trend.

With the Jets I think there were some expectations that the young guys should step up when the vets like TRich, Faneca, Tomlinson left. That didn't happen. Was it a fault of the character of the young guys (Sanchez, DBrick, Harris, Revis ?). Was it bad coaching not to help the youngsters make the transition ? Was this failure of leadership destined to happen regardless of any other facts ? Those are the questions worth debating.
    You can't replace all those guys with the few amount of draft picks we had.
    In 09 we had 3 (1, 3, 6 Rd) and in 10 (1,2,4,5 Rd) we had 4. We're paying for those years.

That is very true. Most of those however are not the Jets fault

Woody, LT, Jenkins, and Richardson retired. Ellis and Smith went to other teams because the other teams shelled out a lot of money. Both have failed in their new locations

Quote Originally Posted by scottyM View Post
    Ha you act as if many of these losses are a result of some tragic unforeseeable occurrence. The reality is its nothing short of poor planning by the organization- this team has zero depth.

Unfortunately, its about to get a whole lot worse next year. There will be about 4-5 new starters next year- with almost no cap space and no qualified young players to assume starting responsibilities outside of maybe demarrio davis.

Agreed with your first statement, but next year I think there are some things we can do. OLB, RT, OG, RB, WR, DT are positions of need that we need to address. We can free up some cap space and get a qualified backup for Sanchez who can replace him if the improved offense doesn't help him produce. We'll also need a solid fullback and blocking tight end in the mid to late rounds. The main thing is don't make a big splash this year, go for solid players who are an upgrade to what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That is very true. Most of those however are not the Jets fault

Woody, LT, Jenkins, and Richardson retired. Ellis and Smith went to other teams because the other teams shelled out a lot of money. Both have failed in their new locations
    The Jets cut Woody and the Jets knew LT and Jenkins were going to retire. They were right with Ellis, but everyone knew he wasn't going to remain with the Jets anyway. Smith was probably one of the least important players of the one's we lost.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-25-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Grammatical

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    Braylon was the Biggest loss, IMO.

He was basically Mark's security blanket to throw to downfield when his other "security blanket" Keller was covered.

Oh and we can't understate how the loss of Cotch has also negatively affected the Jets either.....

The Jets cut Woody and the Jets knew LT and Jenkins were going to retire. They were right with Ellis, but everyone knew he wasn't going to remain with the Jets anyway. Smith was probably one of the least important players of the one's we lost.
    Now what you can say is that the Jets have done a horrible job of replacing those guys. And that goes back to drafting. Although I still believe this past draft has been a success.

LT (Multiple Pro Bowls)

You're forgetting getting rid of Leon after his broken leg, He came back strong in Oct 2010, could have been the missing ingredient to us winning a Super Bowl...Same Old Jets...

[QUOTE=chrisjets23;4699413]A huge problem is that Tanny overrates his own talent, but when the Jets lose players he does a terrible job of replacing them. QUOTE]

This is exactly the problem. Im not saying Rex or his staff are the best coaches in the world, but you cant coach a turd. Unfortunately, the Jets have a lot of them on the roster.