Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: we are stuck with sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Jason's NYJetsCap page (linked so everyone can see it, if necessary). Smith is scheduled to make $12M next year, if the Jets cut him, it will be $0.

The way I see it, the Jets have the following situation, not $20M over, but :

CURRENT CAP COST OF PLAYERS 2013: $142M
    2013 CAP INCLUDING Jets carryover $ ~$130M (Rough Estimate)

Assumed Cuts:

Smith, Jason (Savings: $12M) - (Dead Cap Cost: 0)
    Pace, Calvin (Savings: $8.56M) - (Dead Cap Cost: $3M)
    Scott, Bart (Savings: $7.15M) - (Dead Cap Cost: $1.5M)
    Pouha, Sione (Savings: $3.8M) - (Dead Cap Cost: $2.3M)
    Smith, Eric (Savings: $3M) - (Dead Cap Cost: 0)
    Tebow, Tim (Savings: $1.5M) - (Dead Cap Cost: $1.05M)

2013 Cost with Cuts:

$105M

Total Players on roster 35. The Jets needs to spend $25 Million (roughly) for 18 players, this includes 9 starters (who may be resigned), a lot of them would be replaced by young guys on the team (Slauson, Thomas, DeVito)

Shonn Greene
    Dustin Keller
    Brandon Moore
    Laron Landry
    Mike DeVito
    Yeremiah Bell
    Matt Slauson
    Nick Folk
    Chaz Schilens
    Austin Howard
    Bryan Thomas

This is the bottom line. The Jets banked on having a serious increase of salary cap money in 2012/2013 and beyond. When that didn't happen, they were put in salary cap hell. That reason alone is why the GM needs to go. The Jets were woefully unprepared for a scenario where the salary cap did not go up.
    The thing is though we can resign or get equivalent replacement for all those FA for under 11 mil on the cap next year. Your getting 6-9 players in the draft. That is 16-20 players right there with money to burn. We have the cash to improve this off season. That just makes me happy. I still say ext Harris is also a given. Have him move 5 mil give him 2 years at 7 mil and have most of his bonus come off over the next 2. It is win win IMO because he will likely be here anther 2 years anyway. We also have a love of room in 2014. I know the page says 96 mil but really less then half of that is committed. It is really more like 50 mill most of with is our draft picks over the last 3 years, Brick, Mangold, and some dead cash. We are in much better shape then we where last year. The only thing that really kills us was Marks new deal. Which from day one I hated. They gave away any real options they had just so they could keep crappy players like Devito, Smith, and Hunter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are in cap hell.

I thought we had a "cap genius" for a GM

BTW, our OL is going to be AWFUL next year. Assuming we don't sign any good FAs (b.c. we can't afford them).

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    sanchez is guaranteed $8.25 next year, no offset language, that means he can double dip if the jets traded him away or cut and signed.
    Just a small correction -- if they trade Sanchez they are off the hook for all future salary and guarantees, and only unamortized already-paid signing bonuses hit their cap.

This is really a nitpick because with that contract there's very little chance of finding someone to trade him to.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The cap genius can't evaluate new talent, so when he "thinks" he has a good player he decides to overpay rather than risk losing them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We are in cap hell.

BTW, our OL is going to be AWFUL next year. Assuming we don't sign any good FAs (b.c. we can't afford them).
    Oddly in better shape then we where last year. Yeah not cap hell but not in great shape either. We at least have a ton of movable assets going into next year and a top of cap in 2014. If you look at the cap page we really only have like 50 mil committed in 2014. The bulk of it is players that are likely gone like Sanche, Scott, Holmes, and 2 10k CBs. Which are all movable depending on what happens this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    right. sanchez is the guy throwing the picks and making the bad decisions. i see the jets playing much better under sparano than they did with schitty. sparano has lees to work with given the injuries to holmes, keller, mcknight, powell, hill, et al. and he's had to fix the oline after they brought in howard to replace hunter. so sparano really doesn't deserve a huge piece of the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    For Mark's first three years it was Schotty. Now its Sporano. Sooner or later, We have to look at Sanchez. He had 3 of his own Receivers basically call him out last year. He was below average when he peaked in 2010. RIGHT NOW, BELOW AVERAGE WOULD BE HIS CEILING.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No ****.. I think by now everybody realize Sanchez will be getting our 5th year.. The question is will we support the game manager with talent or will we continue to act like he is a elite qb and keep below avg talent around him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    No ****.. I think by now everybody realize Sanchez will be getting our 5th year.. The question is will we support the game manager with talent or will we continue to act like he is a elite qb and keep below avg talent around him.
    Well it may not be possible to upgrade any positions on offense. We won't have much flexibility cap wise, yet we will need to replace Pace and Thomas, and either replace or resign both guards and both safeties. He may have fewer weapons if Keller expects to get paid.

It is what it is, this team is going into next year with the same offense and will have at least two rookies starting on D to go along with hoping Davis can man the middle.

And worse still, our OL will be losing at least one of Moore and Slauson. I have a hard time believing DuCasse is being groomed to replace Slauson in order to resign Moore.

Of course, if Woody believes its time to blow it up, all bets are off.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything we get in return for Revis will never ne worth it. Even multiple 1st rounders, we would end up with a few starters that unless they turned into Pro Bowlers, we would get fleeced. The only way I could see Revis getting traded is to net us a franchise QB. so a move up to the #1 over all pick.
    You assume that Revis will still be Revis after serious knee surgery. There is a fine line between good and great. I have little doubt that he will play again, but I will be surprised if he is ever truly elite again. Nobody is going to give up a top draft pick, and pay a top contract, for a cornerback with a suspect knee.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything we get in return for Revis will never ne worth it. Even multiple 1st rounders, we would end up with a few starters that unless they turned into Pro Bowlers, we would get fleeced. The only way I could see Revis getting traded is to net us a franchise QB. so a move up to the #1 over all pick.
    Really depends on what the end result is. Say that we deal Revis for multiple 1st rounders. We could then trade those pics away to pick up some nice, established players.

Basically, it could be possible to trade Revis for 2 first round picks, but then trade one of those first round picks for another CB who is amongst the top 10 - 12 in the league?

That would still leave us with an additional 1st round pick, PLUS we'd be out from under Revis' contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Really depends on what the end result is. Say that we deal Revis for multiple 1st rounders. We could then trade those pics away to pick up some nice, established players.

Basically, it could be possible to trade Revis for 2 first round picks, but then trade one of those first round picks for another CB who is amongst the top 10 - 12 in the league?

That would still leave us with an additional 1st round pick, PLUS we'd be out from under Revis' contract.
    You're dreaming.

See above ^^^.