Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bloated contracts, lack of discipline dim Jets' offseason prospects

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So every other team has contracts they can cut as well. Miami will have over 40 million in cap space next year, and that is if they do not cut one player, or restructure one deal. Hanging your hat on the fact that the Jets can clear some space by cutting some players is only half the story. They then have to replace 9 starters and some depth behind them.
    I said 3 players, not 9. 2 of them absolutely need to be replaced.

Look, the bottomline, the article was written to present a much gloomier picture than actually exists, if you can't see this, or don't want to see it, I can't help you, but that's my take, and it isn't the first time crap like this has come out.

Yes, every team has to deal with the cap, some times have a lot of cap, and no talent, some teams have little cap and overpriced talent, I would agree the Jets are in this group.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Miami is easily the second best team in the AFCE. Good, young QB. Smart HC. FO that has a clear direction. Ton of cap space.
    The same FO that has been raked through the coals and the owner has been trying to replace for 2 years...

A clear direction alright. LOL

I like Philbin though, he seems to be a good choice, which BTW, was the FO's 9th option during their coaching search last year.

The jury has hardly decided on the QB, he's had an up and down rookie year, no different than Sanchez had in his first year. Funny how the same Sanchez haters hold other QB's to different standards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I said 3 players, not 9. 2 of them absolutely need to be replaced.

Look, the bottomline, the article was written to present a much gloomier picture than actually exists, if you can't see this, or don't want to see it, I can't help you, but that's my take, and it isn't the first time crap like this has come out.

Yes, every team has to deal with the cap, some times have a lot of cap, and no talent, some teams have little cap and overpriced talent, I would agree the Jets are in this group.
    That statement right there shows you have no idea what is going on. Sorry but you need to go research the topic and look at the roster before you make any other comments on the subject.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No mention of the Jason Smith option bonus which factors into that cap number for one.

Like I said, every year, we see this crap, and even past years where they predicted doom and gloom for the roster, the team was able to retool.

The Jets can cut 3 players and clear up 28 million in cap space, they can replace one of those players probably on a vet min or near vet min deal, even bring the player back in Smith. They absolutely need to get younger and athletic with the two other players in Scott and Pace.
    Ray, the jets were saved from big cap problems when the league went to an uncapped year. If the labor agreement was signed, they would have been big troubles. Then Tanny went out and borrowed money from future years by giving revis a 6 year contract to spread the cap hit, but lets him walk after 4 years, so if the jets don't extend him they pay a 6mil cap penalty. They then extend Harris by guaranteeing Pace and Scotts deals so that your paying them 4X what they are worth this year.

Well this time there is no uncapped year or any future money to borrow from.
    Who the hell would have thought that he could sign Revis with a 1st year cap hit of 5 mill?. I never even thought that they would give him a 6 year contract and let him walk 2 years after his deal would have expired. Neither did anyone else.

Under the old CBA, thet cap grew much faster than anyone thought, especially the owners, well the owners fixed that and now the cap is staying steady for the first 4 years of this deal.

Ray, the issue is that there are 17 players that need to be replaced this offseason. Never in the last 10 years have the jets had so many starting players being FA or salary cap cuts. 1/2 of the top 35 players who see the field!

The jets are not going to be the 91 pats, or the 0-16 lions or Bucs but there will most likely be a step back from this years skill level.

Cutting those three players does free up 28 mill but that only gets you about 10 mill under the cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Again.

I've posted a damn realistic picture of the situation. Realistically, before draft picks, the Jets have $25M to spend and 9 starters to replace. Even when you consider that the Jets will replace some players on the team already, you have to realize that the Jets have about 35 guys under contract and not a lot of money to spend.

While the picture that's painted is not entirely correct, the one that I have, based on Jason's cap page is. And it's horrific.
    Next year is not going to be good. This is a given.

But the Colts knew their season was going to suck when they knew Peyton was done for the year. How has that worked out?

The Jets need to rid themselves of contracts, DO NOT renegotiate contracts again, trade Revis so they can get something for him, trade Sanchez and/or Holmes to ANYONE who will take them, and have two VERY solid drafts this year. This is a two year fix, and if they try and do anything but make it such, to appease a fan base and media that wants to win every game every year, they will screw this up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Ray, the jets were saved from big cap problems when the league went to an uncapped year. If the labor agreement was signed, they would have been big troubles. Then Tanny went out and borrowed money from future years by giving revis a 6 year contract to spread the cap hit, but lets him walk after 4 years, so if the jets don't extend him they pay a 6mil cap penalty. They then extend Harris by guaranteeing Pace and Scotts deals so that your paying them 4X what they are worth this year.

Who the hell would have thought that he could sign Revis with a 1st year cap hit of 5 mill?. I never even thought that they would give him a 6 year contract and let him walk 2 years after his deal would have expired. Neither did anyone else.

Under the old CBA, thet cap grew much faster than anyone thought, especially the owners, well the owners fixed that and now the cap is staying steady for the first 4 years of this deal.

Ray, the issue is that there are 17 players that need to be replaced this offseason. Never in the last 10 years have the jets had so many starting players being FA or salary cap cuts. 1/2 of the top 35 players who see the field!

The jets are not going to be the 91 pats, or the 0-16 lions or Bucs but there will most likely be a step back from this years skill level.

Cutting those three players does free up 28 mill but that only gets you about 10 mill under the cap.
    Will there be? Pats homers and even Jets fans don't like the current roster's skill level? Can't have it both ways.

The Jets had 16 FA's before last season, before the lockout ended, they had to make fast decisions on players in a limited amount of time once the lockout ended, and that was AFTER the draft, and a month before the season started. I'm not worried about 17 FA's during a normal off-season, when more than half of those players that are FA's are band-aid players or overpaid players that are near the end of their careers.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 11-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That statement right there shows you have no idea what is going on. Sorry but you need to go research the topic and look at the roster before you make any other comments on the subject.
    I touched on 3 players, you responded with 9. YOU are the one that needs to stay on topic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I touched on 3 players, you responded with 9. YOU are the one that needs to stay on topic.
    You are so f*****g dense. If the Jets make the cuts necessary, between the guys cut and the PLAYERS NOT ON THE ROSTER WHO ARE FREE AGENTS, they will need to replace 9 starters and some depth behind them. Like I said, do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the topic. It will save you continued embarrassment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

I've said this in my thread Patman: the Jets took a swing at the fences, and missed. They made two AFC Championships, but couldn't go all the way. What is needed now is a FO that recognizes that, and now rebuilds. Those contracts kept the team together for the run, at the cost to the future. The Jets need to sacrifice and pay for that move. They have to let next season go, draft well in 2013 and 2014. By 2015, this team will (literally) be brand new. They have had two solid drafts the past two years, with Wilkerson starting to show some game, and Coples playing well. Ellis, when he can stay healthy, has shown improvement. Davis will play better if moved back to his original position.
    This team can get two picks for Revis if they are reasonable in their demands. This would given them, the way things look, 6 out of the top 110 players in the draft, not including any others if they move down in the draft next year.
    I think they need Tanny to be replaced at GM with someone that will NOT let Rex have a say in personnel decisions, and they need a new OC. It doesn't matter if it screws Sanchez up; he's screwed already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are so f*****g dense. If the Jets make the cuts necessary, between the guys cut and the PLAYERS NOT ON THE ROSTER WHO ARE FREE AGENTS, they will need to replace 9 starters and some depth behind them. Like I said, do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the topic. It will save you continued embarrassment.
    No ****ing **** if the Jets cut players they have to replace them, when did I say otherwise?

We were talking about facts in an article that did not exist about the Jets supposed cap problems. You got your dander up and asked what fact, I gave you one, but that was apparently not good enough.

Now you're talking about about 9 other players. There are actually more than 9 players who are FA's, but that wasn't the point of your original rebuttal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No ****ing **** if the Jets cut players they have to replace them, when did I say otherwise?

We were talking about facts in an article that did not exist about the Jets supposed cap problems. You got your dander up and asked what fact, I gave you one, but that was apparently not good enough.

Now you're talking about about 9 other players. There are actually more than 9 players who are FA's, but that wasn't the point of your original rebuttal.
    Please go educate yourself on the topic, I beg you. Stop worrying about the media and what they are writing, and look with your own eyes what the situation is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please go educate yourself on the topic, I beg you. Stop worrying about the media and what they are writing, and look with your own eyes what the situation is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Miami is easily the second best team in the AFCE. Good, young QB. Smart HC. FO that has a clear direction. Ton of cap space.
    Lets hold off on all of the above until year 3.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Cowher is available.

Why is this board so against Cowher?
    Cowher talked on Sunday's pregame show what a horrible situation the Jets are for any new coach to walk into. He mentioned bloated contracts, lack of talent and coaching, and problems with ownership, among other issues. Highly doubtful he'd be interested in the job.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post

Unforgivable move by the front office.
    There was no need to guarantee that amount of money for a QB coming off a mediocre season still under contract with no other options.

Our only hope now is that they can bring in another QB to at least provide some real competition at QB in 2013.
    +1000

1. Flirt with Manning, then give Sanchez a extension to show support and boost his confidence

2. Bring in Tebow to show lack of support for Sanchez and ruin his confidence creating a media circus

Nice job boys...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will there be? Pats homers and even Jets fans don't like the current roster's skill level? Can't have it both ways.

The Jets had 16 FA's before last season, before the lockout ended, they had to make fast decisions on players in a limited amount of time once the lockout ended, and that was AFTER the draft, and a month before the season started. I'm not worried about 17 FA's during a normal off-season, when more than half of those players that are FA's are band-aid players or overpaid players that are near the end of their careers.
    I think the jets roster is not playoff competitive now, and will take a further step back next year. Why you don't think after dealing with all these FA they will be a loss in skill? Then why are they starting or playing significant roles?

In 2014 the jets will free themselves from Sanchez and Holmes,have about 40 mill to spend on FA and will have 3 drafts in a row where they did not trade up or trade premium picks. Then they will compete.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Cowher talked on Sunday's pregame show what a horrible situation the Jets are for any new coach to walk into. He mentioned bloated contracts, lack of talent and coaching, and problems with ownership, among other issues. Highly doubtful he'd be interested in the job.
    The only way Cowher would even consider the Jets job is if he was HC/GM as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like