Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith..??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Alex Smith..??

Kaepernick playing good ball, may be the future of the niners....Does anyone know if Alex Smith would be available and if so do we go after him?..Just a thought..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.. Smith is exactly what we have in Sanchez .. A game manager who is serviceable with talent around ..
    Last edited by Scoop24; 11-25-2012 at 08:01 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He probably will be made available if kapernick plays well in the playoffs. The 49ers have enough room to keep him, but they could use the 6 mill to sign Goldson and Sapogoa. He can probably be had for the jets 3rd. The problem is that he is only signed for 1 more year. You don't want a split lockeroom with 1/2 the guys wanting one guy ant the other guys another one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    No.. Smith is exactly what we have in Sanchez .. A game manager who is serviceable with talent around ..
    Basically this. Thanks, but no thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Insanity!!! NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Two games, and fans are ready to put him in Canton

It's amazing how fans so quickly latch on the "next guy," and are willing to bail on a player.

Fantasy sports has destroyed the younger generations of fans, and it's become contagious with the older generations.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

It's amazing how fans so quickly latch on the "next guy," and are willing to bail on a player.

Fantasy sports has destroyed the younger generations of fans, and it's become contagious with the older generations.
    The Kaeped Crusader has, as Vernon Davis said, taken the handcuffs off. He's obviously the guy Hardballz sees as being their QB, so who are you to say he's wrong? Not to mention, Kaep has performed rather well so far.

Geez, you act like they benched Tom Brady for Ryan Leaf.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Nobody is putting Kaepernick in Canton yet.

And you seem to ignore the fact that his head coach, one who is widely regarded as a pretty good coach, made the decision to start the young guy. He "bailed" on Smith... and he didn't do it because the fans were ready to latch on to the next guy.

Maybe Harbaugh has seen Kaepernick in practice against that SF defense and knows the guy has something special. Maybe, just maybe, he's actually better than Smith.

full disclosure: I'd love to have Smith. He's better than Sanchez. If Kaepernick keeps playing like he has, Smith will be traded this season. And, as always, the Jets most likely will be linked to him in he media.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The Kaeped Crusader has, as Vernon Davis said, taken the handcuffs off. He's obviously the guy Hardballz sees as being their QB, so who are you to say he's wrong? Not to mention, Kaep has performed rather well so far.

Geez, you act like they benched Tom Brady for Ryan Leaf.
    No... He acts like his car hit a cow in Hawaii and he wakes up everyday thinking it is Jan 12 1969....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    smith is not the answer, if we trade for him it will cost us another few years of pain. He is similar to sanchez in many ways and will add nothing to this team. he has potential to do ok at another team with a decent offense. but he is not the answer for us

that said, it will probably happen

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Kaepernick playing good ball, may be the future of the niners....Does anyone know if Alex Smith would be available and if so do we go after him?..Just a thought..
    Smith is not making big money. Even if they went with Colin Smith would still be a good BU. I don't see then trading him unless your looking to give up a high draft pick and making him your future. NO PASS

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaepernick really passed the "eye test" to me even considering New Orleans are a mess, but I like Smith too. I think he's much better than Sanchez.

That being said, trades of draft picks for established players have burned us in the past, and there will be a market for him outside of us.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the team is attempting to get a top notch QB like we did for Manning, then I'd rather draft a QB. It doesn't have to be in the 1st round either...QBs can be found in any round. There's one problem...we don't have the scouting department or coaching to draft and develop one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think our next QB is coming out of next year's draft, so I wouldn't be opposed to giving Smith a shot if we could get him in a reasonable deal. He's better than Sanchez but certainly nothing special. I would definitely consider other options first.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith will be the starter soon, Colin will come down to earth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st off our options at QB are just not that easy. Trading for a guy like Smith, Romo, Cutler, or Flynn will not only cost you a high draft pick but you will have to pay them as good starters as well which pretty much eats up any FA money we have. At min your still taking 7 mil for any of those guys on top of a 2nd or 1st rounder. Your much better off just drafting your next QB and getting it over with because next years stock is not better. As far as FA Vick will be too expensive. It does seem like the thing our franchise does but when all is said and done he will still likely get 9-12 mil from someone and we just can't do that. Your really looking at career BU that are worth less then 3 mill. Campbell being the best then maybe TJ neither really worth getting into a bidding war over. Chase Daniel is this years Flynn anyway and will likely be much cheaper. Worth it? But it will likely be a guy like Leftwich, DA, Batch, Hoyer, or Edwards who your not taking even good BU money on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can't properly coach Sanchez, we're expected to have Sparano and Rex mentor Alex Smith next? Right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He probably will be made available if kapernick plays well in the playoffs. The 49ers have enough room to keep him, but they could use the 6 mill to sign Goldson and Sapogoa. He can probably be had for the jets 3rd. The problem is that he is only signed for 1 more year. You don't want a split lockeroom with 1/2 the guys wanting one guy ant the other guys another one.
    eh I'd rather have the cap and the 3rd. Smith isn't bringing up to the promised land. Over paying for anther Sanchez IMO is not the way to go.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith is better than Sanchez but Sanchez' contract all but dictates he will be the starter in 2013.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I don't think our next QB is coming out of next year's draft, so I wouldn't be opposed to giving Smith a shot if we could get him in a reasonable deal. He's better than Sanchez but certainly nothing special. I would definitely consider other options first.
    This