Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There isn't a vacancy if the position was not wanted.

Any season ticket holder in his seats prior to kickoff (me) will tell you, the Jets attempted 5x during the past two seasons to have organized "Fireman Ed Pregame Chants" 10 minutes before the national anthem and no one showed up for them. It must have been a humiliating experience.

And during the game, the Jets PA staff does such a job of bombarding our ears during every second of every moment of downtime that Ed doesn't have time to squeeze in his chanting anymore. Several times he'd get up, start the motions, and then sit right back down because some PC Richards whistle or some Save $1 on Mrs. Fields cookies drowned him out.

Oh, and we have hot female cheerleaders now. They do routines where Ed used to do schtick. I guess the paying customers prefer that.

SAR I
    I think we also enjoy those highlight player trackers of our 3 yard run of the game. Or we could fill Ed's spot with fireworks when were down by 30. Or more redzone channel highlights so we know what a TD pass looks like.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Where did he say he's quitting on the team? He's still going to the games, still cheering them on, just not doing it publicly due to a select few A-holes that give him a hard time and ruin the game for him. Supposed FELLOW JETS FANS no less. What an embarrassment.
    There are two home games left in the season.

Ed could have just appeared at those two games, did a single chant at each game, and faded out.

In April, he could have released a statement that said that he was getting older, no longer appearing in character, thanked the fans, thanked the Jets, and retired.

Instead, he chose a very visible national game to throw a tantrum.

He's not quitting on the team as a paying season ticket holder, but as our 'superfan' he isn't doing himself or his brand any good by behaving in this manner.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    (just reading the thread tags ) (lol)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is very disappointing news. Thanks, Fireman Ed for all the fun over the years. Your energy and leadership will be missed. I'm sorry for all the jerks out there. Bad energy. I hope it gets better.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    In all honesty I wish Joe Nolan would quit as PA announcer his voice and the shrill "it's a Jets ..." first down, drives me nuts
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand it.

And more than just the voice, it's the constant bombardment. I can't hear myself think. I can't tell my son to tie his shoes without screaming in his ear because he can't hear me from 10 inches away.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Idea - Fly in DWC for home games.

Let one Dolphin fan hand the torch off to another Dolphin fan.
    LMAO. Truth.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    What you're missing is the slow fade of the Fireman Ed Show.

It started when he quit on the team in 2005, it continued when we moved to MetLife Stadium with a different crowd, and it finalized when the chant became unnecessary amongst the other in-game distractions and PA activities.

My opinion, he is using the Jets and it's fans to excuse himself from the situation. He could have just retired, didn't need to let the team down like this.

SAR I
    The difference is, if you stop "banging on the rails" and stay home, no one will care.

And that bothers you.

If the Jets were paying off Ed, why would they drown him out with noise, etc.?

And how is he letting down the team if he sucked so much?

-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    this team doesnt deserve fireman ed, players coaches management or owner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    LMAO. Truth.
    Complete truth but somehow that's missed.

Also still curious...

Everyone says he wasn't on payroll, he paid for his seats....I think his article proves he didn't own the seats he was sitting in...so who did?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    this team doesnt deserve fireman ed, players coaches management or owner.
    They don't deserve any diehard fan who cheers for them right now. Ed is just one of MANY. That's it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Complete truth but somehow that's missed.

Also still curious...

Everyone says he wasn't on payroll, he paid for his seats....I think his article proves he didn't own the seats he was sitting in...so who did?
    And he can also spare me on why he chose to wear a Bumchez jersey. We all know why. It wasn't his decision.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    So your issues actually lie with Metlife Stadium, and not Fireman Ed. You just said it yourself...
    Forget me personally as I'm not Ed's problem. Ed's problem is:

1. A fan perception that it's all about him, not the team.

2. A MetLife PA staff that makes too much noise during the very timeouts that Ed used to monopolize.

Look no further than that.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    So....you are saying PSL's suck?

-
    LOL.

Yes, actually, PSL's suck because while the new stadium does a lot of things right it does a few things wrong. The PA strategy being #1 on the list. Then comes parking lot security. Then comes poor mass transit. Everything else is good.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And he can also spare me on why he chose to wear a Bumchez jersey. We all know why. It wasn't his decision.
    It took Ed 4 years to buy a Sanchez jersey?

Maybe time for the Tannenhill buy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I've tried the whole response thing, so have many on this board. You treat this board as your personal shrink chair, we are all asking you the question, this forum is your chair, and off you go...

There is no point debating with you, you are stuck in your own miserable drivel.

You couldn't be more wrong about so much of what you spew on this forum.
    He is stuck in his miserable drivel but he is never rude or violent towards other Jets fans.

I disagree wholeheartedly with his platform, but respect him and like him as a poster.

There's a lesson there for you. Try to find it along with the 12 wins you promised us all summer.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then shouldn't he be wearing a Tebow jersey? That's Woody's toy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It took Ed 4 years to buy a Sanchez jersey?

Maybe time for the Tannenhill buy.
    Bingo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bingo.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Holy sh*t...if this isn't taking speculation to a new level I don't know what is.

Frankly since we're speculating....I think the opposite. Based on the direction of this team I believe Woody would be on his knees begging Ed to come back and get something positive going in his stadium because all I see is a hellhole of negativity and boos in future homegames.
    You own Jets Insider.

Let's say there was a single poster that transcended the site. Was so off-the-charts popular that he was on TV, quoted in newspaper articles, had his own blog, a YouTube channel, an iPhone app, the works. You and he had an unspoken pact. He could flourish here on your site but that was in exchange for good behavior towards the Jets Insider brand. Win-win for both of you.

Then, one day, he launches a very public anti-Jets Insider crusade on TV, newspaper articles, blogs, the works.

That wouldn't concern you?

SAR I