Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Guest Column: 'Fireman' Ed steps away, but not as fan

Fireman Ed will no longer play team's mascot

ED ANZALONE
    NEW YORK

Published: November 25, 2012 6:56 p.m.
    Last modified: November 25, 2012 7:00 p.m.

On Thanksgiving night, I left the Jets game before halftime. This was the second time in a row I left before there were four zeroes on the clock. We have had much worse teams than this and I never left before. I pride myself in that, because I am not a quitter.

I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another. The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

Although I can “hold my own,” I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake. I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed.

I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports. I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes!

I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed. God bless and, as always, let’s go Jets!

–Fireman Ed Anzalone was a New York City firefighter for two decades and has been a Jets fan since 1975.

Metro does not endorse the opinions of the author, or any opinions expressed on its pages. Opposing viewpoints welcome. Send 100-word submissions to letters@metro.us.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/a...but-not-as-fan
    I support Ed.

Fans are complete dicks to give him ****, confront him or treat him poorly without cause tbqh.

There are many days here where I think some Jets Fans PREFER to lose, and wallow in the hate and disagreement and strife and conflict-with-other-fans stuff, rather than winning. This site has no shortage of those folks. Add to them the guys whose only purpose in life is to be a dumb ****ing drunk and ruin other folks experiences, and there go.

I doubt Ed would give up on the team.

The fans......many of them deserve to be given up on.

Ed. It won't change a thing, but

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Too bad he is moving on, hopefully someone else will take up the trade mark cheer. He was utterly stupid to wear a Sanchez jersey though and deserves abuse if he kept wearing it.
    SAFE JERSEY OPINIONS?

24 maybe

ummm...little help?

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Sanchez blows but that's no reason to chastise a dude for wearing his jersey. WTF
    Sorry, you KNOW that the Qb is a lightning rod. It's like wearing a Jets jersey to a division rivals game and trumpeting it. You are going to get flack. Wearing a Sanchez jersey is almost going out of your way to incite. He could have picked any other jersey, including Wayne Hunters and been safer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    This is the change Woody has given us...Not Rex, Not Sanchez, Not Tanny...

Fireman ****ing Ed.
    Did the Jets take a cap hit on this?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    SAFE JERSEY OPINIONS?

24 maybe

ummm...little help?
    Only jersey I've ever posessed is a Sanchez jersey. got one for my 4 year old too.

He's so fooked

All League
    Sorry, you KNOW that the Qb is a lightning rod. It's like wearing a Jets jersey to a division rivals game and trumpeting it. You are going to get flack. Wearing a Sanchez jersey is almost going out of your way to incite. He could have picked any other jersey, including Wayne Hunters and been safer.
    So he was asking for it???

Jets Insider VIP
    At an away game, fine.

At home, lame. I understand he's somewhat of a public figure, so wearing a Sanchez jersey is a sort of statement for him. So friggin what? It's just a game, and we're all fans of the same team.

LOL at the Wayne Hunter reference though.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Oh, and we have hot female cheerleaders now. SAR I
    Has anyone noticed the downgrade of talent in this dept this year too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Pretty funny coming from the guy who has been shamelessly ridiculing Rex and calling for his job since at least the spring...You are an amazingly hypocritical blowhard ..But what else is new?
    This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another.

SAR I

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Only jersey I've ever posessed is a Sanchez jersey. got one for my 4 year old too.

He's so fooked
    Albert Camus knew your pain.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Albert Camus knew your pain.
    The trials and tribulations of a Jet fan

Too bad he is moving on, hopefully someone else will take up the trade mark cheer.
    Why? Was it something we really needed?

People are acting as if they took away hot dogs or something. I got more upset when they banished knishes to the kosher stand down on the lower level. Where was the outrage then?

SAR I

Why? Was it something we really needed?

People are acting as if they took away hot dogs or something. I got more upset when they banished knishes to the kosher stand down on the lower level. Where was the outrage then?

SAR I
    The Jets Jets Jets cheer is unique and pretty cool. I don't care who leads it but it would be a shame if it disappered.

The Jets Jets Jets cheer is unique and pretty cool. I don't care who leads it but it would be a shame if it disappered.
    This. +1

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another.

SAR I
    Ha Ha, Good one...My point is that you are criticizing someone who has decided (due to abuse from others similar to what you have been spouting) to step back.
    He has more balls than probably any Jet fan on earth to put himself out there for the past 2 decades and he did it for all the right reasons. He loves the team and wanted to bring the fans together in his endless support of the team.
    The ironic part is that a selfish fan like yourself criticizes him...Very funny to me, your gall is legendary...
    Last edited by Mohegangreen; 11-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    So the guy who' s been doing it years quits because Jets fans are dooshbags, and you think someone else is gonna step up and take over?

Which jersey should he wear?
    How much spotlight is he allowed to steal from SAR?

+ there'll be no real reason to cheer anyways.

It IS a cool and unique chant. A shame the dude who's been trying to coordinate it has decided to quit.

Jets Insider VIP
    There will be 30 guys trying to lead the chant this Sunday. It will be comical to watch....

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    There will be 30 guys trying to lead the chant this Sunday. It will be comical to watch....
    there's a reality show in there somwhere.. sny and nyj present search for the jet chear guy..

someone can be famous!

SAR: I wouldn't say he's "quitting" on the team. He is thankfully dropping the shtick and becoming a regular fan like the rest of us. I don't see what's wrong with that. He may be a nice guy but I'm not a big fan of "super fans" for my teams.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Ed was good for the Jets and Jets fans. I'm sorry that he is hanging them up but I respect the decision.

I thank him for his contributions to gameday.
    Well said!