Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a second in command that could be waiting in the wings to take over starting this Sunday? Who are the list of possible candidates?

My vote goes to the guy that sat in section 337 in the old stadium and wore a jersey that said "Sec. 337." He would always lead a chant of about 10-20 people from his section throughout the course of the game, and he always struck me as somebody who, if given the opportunity to take on an expanded role in leading a chant, he would be capable of doing it. Sure, it's a big step up to go from leading scattered chants of a few people from the uppder deck at Giants Stadium to leading the chant for the ENTIRE Metlife Stadium, but he seems like he might be equal to that task. Any other possible people that anybody wants to nominate who might be qualified to lead the chant moving forward?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The NFL needs to step in and do something about it. Take some of that multi-billion dollar industry and invest in added security to be dispersed around the stadium and in the parking lots to put a stop to the confrontational crap. Don't take away from the experience, preserve it and enhance it, and do it by cleaning out the scum that are ruining that experience.
    Anything logical goes way over the NFL's head. I remember in the old stadium when there would be fights in surrounding sections, it would take security 15 minutes or longer to even get there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Cutting out alcohol all together would be extreme, cut back, yes. Severely punish people who act like social degenerates because they feel they are entitled to lose all sense of civility and social discipline? I'm ALL for that.
    How do you suggest they cut back on it? End sales after the 1st Q.

You can't get crazy with security and keep the alcohol the same way. If you truly want to cutout unruly fans you completely cutout alcohol. And with the amount of $$$ that brings in you can forget about that ever happening, so things will ALWAYS happen at football games. Extra security, does nothing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @jetswhispers: You know Rex is going to be asked about Fireman Ed on Mon. He should take a page from Belichick - "Do you have any questions about Arizona?"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Just another blow to a franchise in such HUGE decline.

From the team owner and his horrible money-grabbing behemoth piece of crap stadium.....

To the front office......

To the coaching staff......

To the bundle of backstabbing gutless ("anonymous") overpaid under-performing players.......

To the embarrassing hateful obnoxious a**hole fans who've infiltrated since the new stadium opened and have resorted in attacking their own brethren.....

This franchise is such a clusterf*ck right now.

I don't think I've ever been this embarrassed being a Jets fan.
    YES SIR..... It is becoming embarrasing to be a fan.

yet right across the way is a team that has it all figured out. They have no real advantage over us yet THEY win. Why? Management.

sad.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Duke Castiglione is doing a piece about Fireman Ed resigning on Sports Extra tonite.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    So true. He can't ever come back now. He will look like a publicity hound or front runner.
    What?? He taking abuse; what are tyou doing for "Jets Pride"? When the team has a winning identity he can come back; he's a damn fan that's all. He doesn't run my fandom.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    YES SIR..... It is becoming embarrasing to be a fan.

sad.....
    Becoming?

You proudly walking around right now in a Jet jersey? Our QB was sacked and fumbled by our O-Lineman's ass. Football blooper infamy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @jetswhispers: You know Rex is going to be asked about Fireman Ed on Mon. He should take a page from Belichick - "Do you have any questions about Arizona?"
    The Jets should be announcing the terminations on Monday. Otherwise, they are continuing to waste our time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just a tremendously sad time to be a Jets fan. A man guilty of nothing aside from trying to unite 80000 people on a Sunday afternoon in support of a historically unsuccessful franchise feels the need to do this...

Without a doubt this week challenges any previous low point in my life long allegiance to the NY Jets.

Ed, if you read this I hope you reconsider.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex will say fireman ed gives us the best chance at the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Is there a second in command that could be waiting in the wings to take over starting this Sunday? Who are the list of possible candidates?

My vote goes to the guy that sat in section 337 in the old stadium and wore a jersey that said "Sec. 337." He would always lead a chant of about 10-20 people from his section throughout the course of the game, and he always struck me as somebody who, if given the opportunity to take on an expanded role in leading a chant, he would be capable of doing it. Sure, it's a big step up to go from leading scattered chants of a few people from the uppder deck at Giants Stadium to leading the chant for the ENTIRE Metlife Stadium, but he seems like he might be equal to that task. Any other possible people that anybody wants to nominate who might be qualified to lead the chant moving forward?
    The Jets lack depth.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Fireman Ed was a brand, not just a fan. And his job was basically to guilt us into standing up and chanting over and over again every game. And if we didn't want to, just didn't feel like doing the chant at that moment, we'd get the "oh, I'm so disappointed in you" face and feel coerced to participate.
    This clown doesn't get it, and never will.

Ed is what's good about sports...Chants, takes time for fans/kids, represents the every day Jets fan in a positive manner.

Guys like you, make the guy say f-it, I'm done.

Who loses? We all do

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    the meadowlands giants stadium metlife whatever you want to call it has done nothing in the way of enhancing the gameday experience for the fans. its a drunkfest and a parking lot full of garbage game after game, they ignore it all.

the psls were supposed to rid the stadium of all the drunken arrogant bums i guess that plan has backfired also.

the jets need to put a better product on the field. along with with winning comes bigger and better things.

fireman ed is a casualty of an organization that doesnt have a clue about running a succesful football team on and off the field.
    So now we're going to blame the Jets for why scum bag fans feel it is there right to behave like complete social degenerates?

No, this is a problem across the entire country, the fan who got beat into a coma in SF comes to mind, the fan that got stabbed last year, and many many more.

This is beyond the team, this is a league wide issue, it's a societal issue, and the league first needs to do something about it, and the local governments need to assist in the process but the MONEY and resources should be coming mostly from the LEAGUE. The league and owners make extreme amounts of money by overpricing the stadium experience, from the tickets, parking tickets, food, etc, THAT is where the money needs to come from.

Clean it up, and restore things to a respectable level.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    How do you suggest they cut back on it? End sales after the 1st Q.

You can't get crazy with security and keep the alcohol the same way. If you truly want to cutout unruly fans you completely cutout alcohol. And with the amount of $$$ that brings in you can forget about that ever happening, so things will ALWAYS happen at football games. Extra security, does nothing?
    You are probably right. However, if it was my call, I would get rid of alcohol beverage sales. Most fans already begin drinking before they enter the stadium.

The NFL needs to concern itself that its venues are not family-friendly. The nonsense that take place at all sporting events makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for children to enjoy a sporting event.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets lack depth.
    and heart.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    This is just a tremendously sad time to be a Jets fan. A man guilty of nothing aside from trying to unite 80000 people on a Sunday afternoon in support of a historically unsuccessful franchise feels the need to do this...

Without a doubt this week challenges any previous low point in my life long allegiance to the NY Jets.

So true, Joe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You're referring to me, so be a man and just say it.

And since you seem to care about my opinion on the matter, I can sum up why many people disliked Fireman Ed quite succinctly: He came across as an artificial "fan" and not a honest one.

The guy at Yankee games with the stick and the drums and cowbells on it. Or the dancing guy at Rangers games. These are fans that we love simply because they're just in it for the team, it's not about them. And their schtick is something benign, something that just involves them.

Fireman Ed was a brand, not just a fan. And his job was basically to guilt us into standing up and chanting over and over again every game. And if we didn't want to, just didn't feel like doing the chant at that moment, we'd get the "oh, I'm so disappointed in you" face and feel coerced to participate.

As for the new stadium, it has a major impact on Ed's act but not because you perceive us to be wine-sipping elitists. Rather it's that we don't get a moment's rest during the game anymore. Used to be in Giants Stadium that when a play was over you'd get a moment of silence. Might get 40 whole seconds to think or say something to the person sitting next to you.

In MetLife Stadium, every second of downtime is a bombardment of the senses by the PA staff. Cheerleader calendars, emergency exits, "MAKE NOISE" videos, game highlights, TV commercials, items on sale in the Jets shop, death metal music, helmet races, tee kids, and on and on and on. Go to a game, you are just bombarded with noise. In fact, the only time you get some peace and quiet is during game action.

Fireman Ed used to be a quaint add-on during a drive when the stadium got quiet amongst the important 40 second breaks between every play. But in today's MetLife atmosphere, Ed was the straw that broke the fans backs, just another thing asking for our attention and our time when we'd like to have a moment to ourselves.

SAR I
    First. I was just busting your chops, I know you were the most outspoken about him, thats why I did that.

Second, I do agree about the "fabricated" fan experience at the games now. They just cant let the games have a life of their own, and have fans react naturally.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 11111

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    You are probably right. However, if it was my call, I would get rid of alcohol beverage sales. Most fans already begin drinking before they enter the stadium.

The NFL needs to concern itself that its venues are not family-friendly. The nonsense that take place at all sporting events makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for children to enjoy a sporting event.
    Do you know how much the Jets make on alcohol sales on game day? The number is staggering. This is not happening.