Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on board here with most people and think this is a shame too. I have wondered why Ed did change his Harper jersey for Sanchez (this is not the first time he's done this either). I've also wondered how he ended up getting an end-zone first row seat if he claims he's not on the "payroll"? In the old stadium, this wasn't the case, at least.

All of that said though, I really don't blame him for doing this. The stadium experience has gotten to a point where I don't even care if I ever see another game live or not. The problem is, these days people think buying a ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want in the stadium.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Fireman Ed never lose the spirit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said when we drafted sissy boy suckchez that he will set us back a decade...but never thought it would get this bad....he turned the whole franchise into a fing joke!!!
    What a mess!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets_Fragger View Post
    i could never root for the dolphins...disgusting team.
    Application, denied.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never met the guy and I see where a bunch of people whose opinions I respect are firmly behind fireman Ed but I have to say his "retirement" does not bother me in the slightest.

The whole Jets chant thing took on a life of its own and came across to these eyes at least as being very self serving. Much more about fireman Ed than it ever was about the New York Jets. Good luck Ed with whatever you choose to do with your life now but from here on in, if indeed you are a man of your word then you will become just like the rest of us, a plain old Jets fan who suffers his/her fandom in anonymity.

Please do not have a comeback because that would make this little better than one of the melodramatic "I'm Leaving" threads we get on here from time to time.

Exit stage left and good luck to you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I never met the guy and I see where a bunch of people whose opinions I respect are firmly behind fireman Ed but I have to say his "retirement" does not bother me in the slightest.

The whole Jets chant thing took on a life of its own and came across to these eyes at least as being very self serving. Much more about fireman Ed than it ever was about the New York Jets. Good luck Ed with whatever you choose to do with your life now but from here on in, if indeed you are a man of your word then you will become just like the rest of us, a plain old Jets fan who suffers his/her fandom in anonymity.

Please do not have a comeback because that would make this little better than one of the melodramatic "I'm Leaving" threads we get on here from time to time.

So true. He can't ever come back now. He will look like a publicity hound or front runner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I'm on board here with most people and think this is a shame too. I have wondered why Ed did change his Harper jersey for Sanchez (this is not the first time he's done this either). I've also wondered how he ended up getting an end-zone first row seat if he claims he's not on the "payroll"? In the old stadium, this wasn't the case, at least.

All of that said though, I really don't blame him for doing this. The stadium experience has gotten to a point where I don't even care if I ever see another game live or not. The problem is, these days people think buying a ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want in the stadium.
    The NFL needs to step in and do something about it. Take some of that multi-billion dollar industry and invest in added security to be dispersed around the stadium and in the parking lots to put a stop to the confrontational crap. Don't take away from the experience, preserve it and enhance it, and do it by cleaning out the scum that are ruining that experience.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post

End thread.
    Winner.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I said when we drafted sissy boy suckchez that he will set us back a decade...but never thought it would get this bad....he turned the whole franchise into a fing joke!!!
    What a mess!!!
    OH yes.....this is all Tebows doing

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont know, I think some guys felt that THEY deserved more attention for being a loyal, season ticket paying, fan of the Jets. They were annoyed because of the attention he got when leading the stadium in the Jets chant. I could see someone sitting in the mezzanine thinking, hey all you fans should be looking at me, I am as important, if not more important, as this fireman. I have paid all this money and spent all this time going to games, you should be looking at me, not some fireman.
    You are wasting your time. That arrogant prick does not see the errors of his ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP Fireman Ed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The NFL needs to step in and do something about it. Take some of that multi-billion dollar industry and invest in added security to be dispersed around the stadium and in the parking lots to put a stop to the confrontational crap. Don't take away from the experience, preserve it and enhance it, and do it by cleaning out the scum that are ruining that experience.
    Invest in security? Or cut out the alcohol?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.

this is not just a Jets problem. Pat Patriot could be next.

Where is Goodell????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are becoming Raiders, Browns, etc. This is what happens when you botch back-to-back Top 5 picks.

I let Ed once and the guy was an absolute gentleman. Feel bad he had to go through with this. He will be back, but he probably needs a break. Hopefully the Jet take care of some of the lowlifes that go to the games.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the guy that hates to see the divide, that hates to see Jets fans killing other Jets fans...

No my friend, I didn't miss a damn thing!
    Not quite sure how tough it is to see this

The new generation of Jets fans that want to sh1t on a tradition older than their existence makes it a sad state of affairs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Invest in security? Or cut out the alcohol?
    Cutting out alcohol all together would be extreme, cut back, yes. Severely punish people who act like social degenerates because they feel they are entitled to lose all sense of civility and social discipline? I'm ALL for that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Just another blow to a franchise in such HUGE decline.

From the team owner and his horrible money-grabbing behemoth piece of crap stadium.....

To the front office......

To the coaching staff......

To the bundle of backstabbing gutless ("anonymous") overpaid under-performing players.......

To the embarrassing hateful obnoxious a**hole fans who've infiltrated since the new stadium opened and have resorted in attacking their own brethren.....

This franchise is such a clusterf*ck right now.

I don't think I've ever been this embarrassed being a Jets fan.
    This.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 well-said.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont know, I think some guys felt that THEY deserved more attention for being a loyal, season ticket paying, fan of the Jets. They were annoyed because of the attention he got when leading the stadium in the Jets chant. I could see someone sitting in the mezzanine thinking, hey all you fans should be looking at me, I am as important, if not more important, as this fireman. I have paid all this money and spent all this time going to games, you should be looking at me, not some fireman.
    You're referring to me, so be a man and just say it.

And since you seem to care about my opinion on the matter, I can sum up why many people disliked Fireman Ed quite succinctly: He came across as an artificial "fan" and not a honest one.

The guy at Yankee games with the stick and the drums and cowbells on it. Or the dancing guy at Rangers games. These are fans that we love simply because they're just in it for the team, it's not about them. And their schtick is something benign, something that just involves them.

Fireman Ed was a brand, not just a fan. And his job was basically to guilt us into standing up and chanting over and over again every game. And if we didn't want to, just didn't feel like doing the chant at that moment, we'd get the "oh, I'm so disappointed in you" face and feel coerced to participate.

As for the new stadium, it has a major impact on Ed's act but not because you perceive us to be wine-sipping elitists. Rather it's that we don't get a moment's rest during the game anymore. Used to be in Giants Stadium that when a play was over you'd get a moment of silence. Might get 40 whole seconds to think or say something to the person sitting next to you.

In MetLife Stadium, every second of downtime is a bombardment of the senses by the PA staff. Cheerleader calendars, emergency exits, "MAKE NOISE" videos, game highlights, TV commercials, items on sale in the Jets shop, death metal music, helmet races, tee kids, and on and on and on. Go to a game, you are just bombarded with noise. In fact, the only time you get some peace and quiet is during game action.

Fireman Ed used to be a quaint add-on during a drive when the stadium got quiet amongst the important 40 second breaks between every play. But in today's MetLife atmosphere, Ed was the straw that broke the fans backs, just another thing asking for our attention and our time when we'd like to have a moment to ourselves.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the meadowlands giants stadium metlife whatever you want to call it has done nothing in the way of enhancing the gameday experience for the fans. its a drunkfest and a parking lot full of garbage game after game, they ignore it all.

the psls were supposed to rid the stadium of all the drunken arrogant bums i guess that plan has backfired also.

the jets need to put a better product on the field. along with with winning comes bigger and better things.

fireman ed is a casualty of an organization that doesnt have a clue about running a succesful football team on and off the field.