Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-sec125 View Post
    WFAN Boomer&Carton trying to get Ed on for interview.
    What about SAR? No? They aren't trying for SAR?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Agreed...I feel horrible sometimes (especially after seasons like this) that I brainwashed my kids into becoming Jets fans. Seems like a mild form of child abuse.
    Was thinking that on Thursday night at the game, was there with the wife and kids as the Jets flopped around like idiots.
    My son had that familiar look in his eye that all of us have had during the typical Jet collapses and embarrassments while growing up as a fan of this cursed franchise .
    I couldn't help but ask myself, "Why have I pushed this misery onto him and his sister?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    +1

The worst I've seen it. Fan vs. Fan vitriol that not only takes place on the message board but now in the stadium towards guys like Ed. Some people here hate him more than they hate Pats fans. I dont get it.

At least in the Kotite years people felt bad for the Jets and the organization. It prompted a guy like Bill Parcells to WANT to come here and coach. We were the lovable losers.

Now we're just losers.
    Agreed. And I think a big reason for that is our loudmouth, guarantee-laden coach. He creates the environment that invites the disdain of others.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

The worst I've seen it. Fan vs. Fan vitriol that not only takes place on the message board but now in the stadium towards guys like Ed. Some people here hate him more than they hate Pats fans. I dont get it.
    If Ed thought he was a target before, wait until he shows up in another section..... without his helmet and Jersey.

Srsly, he'd better be last row, under cover.

-

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst I've seen it. Fan vs. Fan vitriol that not only takes place on the message board but now in the stadium towards guys like Ed.

Some people here hate him more than they hate Pats fans. I dont get it.

Some people were always on the fence with this guy, never really loved him to begin with.

Then when he decided to quit on us for a season back around 2005 we had it with him.

Now, when we're in the worst shape we've been in the last 15 seasons, he decides to pull a selfish hissy fit and quit very publicly. Joining the pile on at a time when he should be standing up for us.

Good riddance, Littleman Ed.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. Bill Belichick once famously quit the New York Jets, without ever coaching a game, by scribbling "I resign as HC of the NYJ" on a piece of paper.

The Jets' most attention-seeking fan, "Fireman Ed", aka former New York firefighter Ed Anzalone, used 275 words to do essentially the same thing. In a self-penned column in the Metro, the free newspaper handed out mostly at subway stations, Anzalone announced he will no longer attend games as "Fireman Ed."

Anzalone became famous for leading the "J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets" chants at home games while wearing a fireman's helmet.

Anzalone cited the coarsening of conditions at Jets games due to fans' anger at the team's struggles this season and the quarterback controversy between starter Mark Sanchez and backup Tim Tebow. Anzalone wears a Sanchez jersey to games and said he left Thursday's blowout loss to the New England Patriots at halftime due to heckling.

"This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another," Anzalone wrote. " The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll which is an outright lie have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it's in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

"Although I can 'hold my own,' I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake," he continued.

Anzalone said he'll still attend games, just not wearing the helmet or to lead cheers on the stadium Jumbotron. He has been a Jets fan since 1975. The team has failed to win a Super Bowl during that time (its only championship came in 1968).

The defection of Fireman Ed is the latest in the Jets' bizarre, circus-like season which has included as many soap opera turns as ugly defeats. The fact that a fan would need to write a column explaining his rationale for quitting what is an unpaid, unofficial "job" is comical yet predictable.

The Jets are a disappointing 4-7 on the season and the offseason signing of Tebow has made little impact on the field while leaving the team dealing with repeated sideshows and unnecessary dramas from teammates anonymously ripping him to an apparent fan division so deep that even Fireman Ed is wary of having to fight someone in the stands.

"We have had much worse teams than this and I never left before," Anzalone wrote. "I pride myself in that, because I am not a quitter."

The Jets have had far worse teams through the years. Yet maybe none has been quite as strange as this season's club.

At least Belichick, who cited uncertain ownership for quitting in 2000 after just one day on the job, practiced brevity in his announcement. Fireman Ed went on and on. Belichick wound up the head coach of archrival New England, where he's won three Super Bowls and dominated the AFC East.

That decision truly hurt the franchise. This one is simply absurd.

"I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed," Anzalone wrote. "God bless and, as always, let's go Jets!"

It's a circus perhaps only the J-E-T-S could create.
    Ridiculous article. Trying to compare Ed to the scummy departure of Belichick is nonsense on so many levels. Who wrote this crap?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I really don't get why people hate the guy.

I tailgated with him once last year and he's a really good guy.

Thanks for leading the chant all these years Ed.
    I agree, I don't understand the hate for this guy. He's a Jet fan and took a ride doing something pretty cool many season ticket holders would have enjoyed doing.

As a non-season ticket holders who goes to one or two games a year, I enjoy and look forward to him leading the chants when I'm there.

Thanks Fireman Ed - you'll be missed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Ridiculous article. Trying to compare Ed to the scummy departure of Belichick is nonsense on so many levels. Who wrote this crap?
    "The fact that a fan would need to write a column explaining his rationale for quitting what is an unpaid, unofficial "job" is comical yet predictable."

I said this last night, he should have just let the last two games play out, do a couple of chants, and then fade. All he's done is made himself the target of more vitriol unnecessarily. He didn't need to go out like this. Now that he has, he gets what he deserves.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I log onto my computer this morning and this is the first thing that I see. Looks like it's gone national now (lol)

The giants have a huge win last night and all anyone can talk about on the news is Fireman Ed. Someone in that Jets PR department should run the next Presidential Election Candidate. They are a master of PR (lol)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    If Ed thought he was a target before, wait until he shows up in another section..... without his helmet and Jersey.

Srsly, he'd better be last row, under cover.

-
    You ain't kidding.

He's going to have to wear a disguise to be able to enjoy a game without harassment. Those belligerent drunks with their a-hole chants don't take kindly to turncoat Jets fans methinks.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Joining the pile on at a time when he should be standing up for us.
    When he stood up for you, you were highly annoyed that he made faces and imagined that he was disappointed in you for not standing and cheering.

So, I dont know where you get this...... "us".

-

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I log onto my computer this morning and this is the first thing that I see. Looks like it's gone national now (lol)

The giants have a huge win last night and all anyone can talk about on the news is Fireman Ed. Someone in that Jets PR department should run the next Presidential Election Candidate. They are a master of PR (lol)
    Now we only need a way to convert this publicity into PSLs.

Cha ching.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    When he stood up for you, you were highly annoyed that he made faces and imagined that he was disappointed in you for not standing and cheering.

So, I dont know where you get this...... "us".

-
    His intent was always good, it was just his methods that I disagreed with.

Now is intent is bad, he's trying to do the Jets and their fans harm at a time when we're hurting and at an all-time low the likes of which we haven't seen since 1996.

Though his behavior confirms what many of us have suspected for years, it doesn't mean it's a good thing. In a very strange way, this may get Rex Ryan fired. So I may become the biggest Quitterman Ed fan there ever was.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2DKy8k9HQ

boomer and carton put alot into perspective the jets have more problems than fireman ed resigning. aint that the truth. this organization is in shambles.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    Now we only need a way to convert this publicity into PSLs.

Cha ching.
    "Buy four or more PSL's today and YOU could be the new Jets chant leader for a full season! Remember, they're not tickets, they're BOARDING PASSES!!!"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

Exactly. Could you imagine what the press would do if the Jets ever get good? What's next, a media blitz about one of the Flight Crew girls who quits? Makes as much sense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    "Buy four or more PSL's today and YOU could be the new Jets chant leader for a full season! Remember, they're not tickets, they're BOARDING PASSES!!!"
    investment gold.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geeeezzzz... has any other team in any pro sport ever had their #1 fan resign because of poor treatment by other fans? A sad testament to the character of Jets Fans in attendance at the games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not for nothing but you would think the Jets would have some sort of security near Fireman Ed. And if they knew about him being harassed and did nothing about it then I think we are a worse organization than previously imagined.

Calling us a circus is an embarrassment to real circuses.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not for nothing but you would think the Jets would have some sort of security near Fireman Ed. And if they knew about him being harassed and did nothing about it then I think we are a worse organization than previously imagined.

Calling us a circus is an embarrassment to real circuses.
    remember the confrontation with ed and a giants during the jets giants game last year?

the security sucks at the stadium it flat out sucks.