Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He said to show support for Sanchez after the Tebow stuff
    That was pretty bold...didn't realize he did that.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He said to show support for Sanchez after the Tebow stuff
    OMG! HE *DARED* TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION FROM MOST??? I'M SHOCKED....SHOCKED, I TELL YA!

geez....some Jets fans are complete Losers to have to get in his face just because he wants to show support for Mark.

*OR* maybe his POINT was :

RESPECT THE POSITION/TEAM

In essence, Mark is the QB of the JETS(His T-E-A-M) and will continue to support him because he's the JETS QB. And if(when? hopefully?) Mark is gone, he will support the New guy(whomever that is)....

This is sad..
    Hopefully all the obnoxious fans will realize that they're causing a divide among people who are all rooting for the same thing.

Meh, he'll probably enjoy going to games more now. I sat next to him for a season. I hate his schtick, but he is a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    And guess who wont take up the mantle? Those same dooshbargs who spewed countless hours of jibberish right here bashing the guy, while they sat on their hands at Jet games...but all the while... keeping careful track of how many games they have been to so they can wear it like a medal.

-
    Hmmmm, sounds like a certain poster on this site.....

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Hey fellas, what's this thread about?

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Anzalone, a New York City firefighter, would spend his pregame time not with his buddies drinking beers and grilling burgers but rather visiting children’s birthday parties in the parking lot or posing for pictures with children battling cancer.
    Ok...this is where reality starts to blur....

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That blows, it really does. The guy's biggest crime was that he was a passionate Jets fan. The Jets P.R. department tried to parlay that into something bigger than it was, and through no fault of his own, it actually worked for a while.

People resented him, why? Jealousy, I suppose. Or just the bald, baseless resentment that is the result of being an ******* in general. "Hey, that guy is having fun interacting with fans -- **** him!" Well, there you go, you bores. The Jets lost the last thing that actually made going to games an enjoyable experience.

Thanks for the memories, Ed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    It's a shame, it really is, and all because there are so many people that are flat out *******s, all because of jealousy and a game.

It's no different than this board.

We have Jets fans killing other Jets fans. We have fans stroking their own ego after Jets losses on other Jets fans because those fans are optimistic or were.

Stay the course Ed, do your thing, **** the rest of them!
    You are one of the confrontational *******s he's talking about ray. The fact that you totally missed that and decided to attack other jet fans while agreeing with him in your post, Proves you a sociopath or a pure maniac.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    I bet you're in your glory right now. The sad thing is is that no one knows who you are, and no one will ever know who you are. You're not important. You're not even a blip on the radar. You get your thrills based on how many people click on your threads and respond to you inane posts, but in reality your another middle-management prig in a North Jersey McMansion, probably drowning in debt.

he'll be back next year doing the chant

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    OMG! HE *DARED* TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION FROM MOST??? I'M SHOCKED....SHOCKED, I TELL YA!

geez....some Jets fans are complete Losers to have to get in his face just because he wants to show support for Mark.

*OR* maybe his POINT was :

RESPECT THE POSITION/TEAM

In essence, Mark is the QB of the JETS(His T-E-A-M) and will continue to support him because he's the JETS QB. And if(when? hopefully?) Mark is gone, he will support the New guy(whomever that is)....
    Vin,

I said it this summer, Teblow will be te downfall of Tanny and Rex. Why bring this circus to NY is just mind boggling. Tebow is nothing more tan an over-hyped glorified TE who pushes his religious beliefs on others. He is a divisive figure that needs to be shown the door quickly. Just look at some of the Denver players comments today on the CBS pregame show and throughout the season. Enough said.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wonder if any of his haters will step up and get something going. As much as I love the Jets, the Jets fans are among the lamest in sports when it comes to creating a environment that makes a real home field advantage.

Ed has been a symbol for many years.

That also means that he is a target for opposing fans, individuals wanting to make a name by challenging him and those jealous of his popularity.

There also seems to be an element that feels that if they are miserable, then others must be made miserable as well.

Ed, if you should read this, when I first met you, it was as a 10 year old kid attending his first Jets game. You generously took time to take a picture with me and round up a Jets chant for me. Thank you for your dedication and for becoming a symbol of the best of a Jets fan.

It's unfortunate that the unruly, miserable types finally eliminated a force that represented decency and enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    More from Metro (how did they get all of this exclusively?)
    http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/a...-team-s-mascot

Fireman Ed will no longer play team's mascot

KRISTIAN DYER
    25 November 2012 07:02

For 26 years now, Ed Anzalone has gotten transformed eight Sundays out of the year into “Fireman Ed,” the most iconic football fan in the nation. Anzalone, sitting atop his brother’s shoulders, his image displayed on the stadium’s big screens, leads the green-clad crowd in the “J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!”

The franchise will turn to a new era on Dec. 2 when the Jets host the Cardinals, as he will be “Fireman Ed” no more.

The retirement of Anzalone in his special role in the game day experience at MetLife Stadium is the end of an era for Jets fans used to his presence in section 124. On Thursday night, with the Jets down 35-3 at halftime of what turned into a 49-19 home loss to the Patriots, Anzalone left the stadium. It had nothing to do with the team’s 4-7 record this year or the fact that they likely won’t make the playoffs for a second straight year.

“Listen, I went through the Rich Kotite era — we were 4-28 in that era. Any Jets fan knows this isn’t the worst of times; it isn’t close,” Anzalone told Metro. “It’s been about the nastiness. I just think society in general — you’re out in your car there’s no respect at all. I don’t want to put up with that from people taking it out on me anymore.”

Anzalone said fans have gotten nasty and confrontational with him, often mistaking him as part of the organization when he is merely a season ticket holder “who has never received a dime from this team.”

He said he will still go to games and that he never, ever can quit on the Jets. It isn’t the mounting losses or the lack of wins that is bothering him, but rather the boorish behavior of fans.

“That is right. For me to write a letter, I think it is best that I move on. I’m sure there will be somebody else that takes over. I wasn’t the originator of the chant and I won’t be the last one. It’s got to end,” Anzalone said.

“I wouldn’t go to my same seat. I’ll be in different seats. I have a ton of guys that have 10 or 12 seats that sell and I’ll grab a couple of theirs. I can’t be in the section that I’ll be in. I can’t be in the same section and not be ‘Fireman Ed.’ But I am thankful to have been the maestro of that chant all those years. The fans humbled me by getting behind me and joining me.”

Anzalone, a New York City firefighter, would spend his pregame time not with his buddies drinking beers and grilling burgers but rather visiting children’s birthday parties in the parking lot or posing for pictures with children battling cancer. He was everywhere before the game but minutes before kickoff he’d walk down the stairs to his seat, often to a standing ovation from Jets fans in his section.

A season ticket holder since 1976, he was first put on the big screen at the old Giants Stadium 10 years later to fire up the crowd.

Anzalone hasn’t informed the Jets of his decision to hang up his fireman helmet.

“No, I haven’t notified them of anything. I’m not on their pay roll,” Anzalone said. “I don’t owe the Jets anything.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.
    Didn't he leave during the Kotite years too? I remember him missing.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It's unfortunate, that's for sure.

I love being a Jets fan and they will always be the team I have in my heart. Also note, I would never get into some sort of confrontation with another Jets fan just because we do not see eye to eye on the direction the team should take. Although you may not believe it, I do respect everyones opinion on this board. I steadfastly disagree most of the time with sugar coated beliefs of others, but I do not take things personal. I'm sure we can all agree that we all want the New York Jets to win it all sometime soon.
    I was tired of him because he was an attention seeking doucher. But, I don't condone confrontations with other Jets fans (except over bad behavior and that is what security is for). Sorry it was not fun for him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I bet you're in your glory right now. The sad thing is is that no one knows who you are, and no one will ever know who you are. You're not important. You're not even a blip on the radar. You get your thrills based on how many people click on your threads and respond to you inane posts, but in reality your another middle-management prig in a North Jersey McMansion, probably drowning in debt.
    + INFINITY

Bravo! Well said.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Didn't he leave during the Kotite years too? I remember him missing.
    The only time missing was when his first wife was terminally Ill, and when he was injured on the job.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    You are one of the confrontational *******s he's talking about ray. The fact that you totally missed that and decided to attack other jet fans while agreeing with him in your post, Proves you a sociopath or a pure maniac.

Ragoots, you make much more sense with the new liver.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    It's about you, SAR.

It's ALWAYS about you.