Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Guest Column: 'Fireman' Ed steps away, but not as fan

Fireman Ed will no longer play team's mascot

ED ANZALONE
    NEW YORK

Published: November 25, 2012 6:56 p.m.
    Last modified: November 25, 2012 7:00 p.m.

On Thanksgiving night, I left the Jets game before halftime. This was the second time in a row I left before there were four zeroes on the clock. We have had much worse teams than this and I never left before. I pride myself in that, because I am not a quitter.

I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another. The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

Although I can “hold my own,” I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake. I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed.

I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports. I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes!

I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed. God bless and, as always, let’s go Jets!

–Fireman Ed Anzalone was a New York City firefighter for two decades and has been a Jets fan since 1975.

Metro does not endorse the opinions of the author, or any opinions expressed on its pages. Opposing viewpoints welcome. Send 100-word submissions to letters@metro.us.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/a...but-not-as-fan
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 11-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same Old News.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't get why people hate the guy.

I tailgated with him once last year and he's a really good guy.

Thanks for leading the chant all these years Ed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Riddance

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't blame him one bit...Ed is a great guy. Jets fans should be ashamed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a shame, it really is, and all because there are so many people that are flat out *******s, all because of jealousy and a game.

It's no different than this board.

We have Jets fans killing other Jets fans. We have fans stroking their own ego after Jets losses on other Jets fans because those fans are optimistic or were.

Stay the course Ed, do your thing, **** the rest of them!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for everything Ed. It is too bad the stadium experience has come to this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Good Riddance
    Exhibit A right here..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed was good for the Jets and Jets fans. I'm sorry that he is hanging them up but I respect the decision.

I thank him for his contributions to gameday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont doubt some d*ckheads got in his face over the Jersey...dont know why he gave up Harper. I know some here will gloat and call him a quitter.

I just see another guy in pain from dealing with this sh*t year after year, like me. We all deal with it differently, God knows.

He's a brother Jet fan, and I thank him for leading the cheer.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Ed was good for the Jets and Jets fans. I'm sorry that he is hanging them up but I respect the decision.

I thank him for his contributions to gameday.
    I had no problem with him..... I think the state of the team didn't help either.

hard to stand by Woodys decisions lately.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's unfortunate, that's for sure.

I love being a Jets fan and they will always be the team I have in my heart. Also note, I would never get into some sort of confrontation with another Jets fan just because we do not see eye to eye on the direction the team should take. Although you may not believe it, I do respect everyones opinion on this board. I steadfastly disagree most of the time with sugar coated beliefs of others, but I do not take things personal. I'm sure we can all agree that we all want the New York Jets to win it all sometime soon.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I had no problem with him..... I think the state of the team didn't help either.

hard to stand by Woodys decisions lately.
    People are a-holes. As much as we all disagree with one another - about the players, about the zip code, whatever - we are all Jets fans. It's a brotherhood. And it is shameful that he had to put up with the **** he had to from those who are jealous of the attention or just haters in general.

Shameful.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been going to games since I was 5 years old. As a kid, I didn't really understand what was happening on the field, but I always enjoyed watching for the crazy guy on the other guy's shoulders and seeing how he could quiet the crowd and then make it roar with the chant. Never understood all the hate for the guy.

Thanks for the memories, Ed.
    Last edited by The Green & White; 11-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I dont doubt some d*ckheads got in his face over the Jersey...dont know why he gave up Harper. I know some here will gloat and call him a quitter.

I just see another guy in pain from dealing with this sh*t year after year, like me. We all deal with it differently, God knows.

He's a brother Jet fan, and I thank him for leading the cheer.

-
    He said to show support for Sanchez after the Tebow stuff

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green & White View Post
    I always enjoyed watching for the crazy guy on the other guy's shoulders and seeing how he could quiet the crowd and then make it roar with the chant.
    And guess who wont take up the mantle? Those same dooshbargs who spewed countless hours of jibberish right here bashing the guy, while they sat on their hands at Jet games...but all the while... keeping careful track of how many games they have been to so they can wear it like a medal.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a disgrace! This tells you all you need to know about some of the idiots/ignorant jackasses that attend sporting events.

Thanks firemen Ed. You will be missed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ed, please put the harper jersey on and get back out there. We love ya buddy.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    More from Metro (how did they get all of this exclusively?)
    http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/a...-team-s-mascot

Fireman Ed will no longer play team's mascot

KRISTIAN DYER
    25 November 2012 07:02

For 26 years now, Ed Anzalone has gotten transformed eight Sundays out of the year into “Fireman Ed,” the most iconic football fan in the nation. Anzalone, sitting atop his brother’s shoulders, his image displayed on the stadium’s big screens, leads the green-clad crowd in the “J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!”

The franchise will turn to a new era on Dec. 2 when the Jets host the Cardinals, as he will be “Fireman Ed” no more.

The retirement of Anzalone in his special role in the game day experience at MetLife Stadium is the end of an era for Jets fans used to his presence in section 124. On Thursday night, with the Jets down 35-3 at halftime of what turned into a 49-19 home loss to the Patriots, Anzalone left the stadium. It had nothing to do with the team’s 4-7 record this year or the fact that they likely won’t make the playoffs for a second straight year.

“Listen, I went through the Rich Kotite era — we were 4-28 in that era. Any Jets fan knows this isn’t the worst of times; it isn’t close,” Anzalone told Metro. “It’s been about the nastiness. I just think society in general — you’re out in your car there’s no respect at all. I don’t want to put up with that from people taking it out on me anymore.”

Anzalone said fans have gotten nasty and confrontational with him, often mistaking him as part of the organization when he is merely a season ticket holder “who has never received a dime from this team.”

He said he will still go to games and that he never, ever can quit on the Jets. It isn’t the mounting losses or the lack of wins that is bothering him, but rather the boorish behavior of fans.

“That is right. For me to write a letter, I think it is best that I move on. I’m sure there will be somebody else that takes over. I wasn’t the originator of the chant and I won’t be the last one. It’s got to end,” Anzalone said.

“I wouldn’t go to my same seat. I’ll be in different seats. I have a ton of guys that have 10 or 12 seats that sell and I’ll grab a couple of theirs. I can’t be in the section that I’ll be in. I can’t be in the same section and not be ‘Fireman Ed.’ But I am thankful to have been the maestro of that chant all those years. The fans humbled me by getting behind me and joining me.”

Anzalone, a New York City firefighter, would spend his pregame time not with his buddies drinking beers and grilling burgers but rather visiting children’s birthday parties in the parking lot or posing for pictures with children battling cancer. He was everywhere before the game but minutes before kickoff he’d walk down the stairs to his seat, often to a standing ovation from Jets fans in his section.

A season ticket holder since 1976, he was first put on the big screen at the old Giants Stadium 10 years later to fire up the crowd.

Anzalone hasn’t informed the Jets of his decision to hang up his fireman helmet.

“No, I haven’t notified them of anything. I’m not on their pay roll,” Anzalone said. “I don’t owe the Jets anything.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 11-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the memories ed and for leading the greatest chant in the nfl.

society has bred some really low life skumbags who chose to mock him for cheering on our team the new york jets.

i met ed on a few occasions and he was always cordial and accomodating.

this organization has some real issues more so than a mascot resigning and some how some way somebody needs to fix it.