Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fireman Ed" Resigns

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    This. +1
    This can easily be driven via prompts on the video boards.... may not be the same but not something I am worked up about in the middle of a 4-7 season.

I would prefer that the fans make more noise during the plays when we are on Defense... the chant before a play is nice but has no impact on the opposing team.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    SAFE JERSEY OPINIONS?

24 maybe

ummm...little help?
    80 - Chrebet
    28 - Martin

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Why? Was it something we really needed?
    SAR I
    Exactly, fan noise makes it too hard to hear the PA guys and when the stadium shakes, it makes it so difficult to eat caviar.

Give me a break, its lame fans like you that make the Jets crowd the biggest joke in sports. You cant say its the way the stadium was built, because the Giants fans are very loud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan expressed disappointment Monday that superfan Fireman Ed has decided to walk away, but the Jets' coach said the famous "J-E-T-S!" chant will live on.

"I was disappointed," Ryan said. "I love that guy's passion and energy he would bring. He's a great fan. I really admire him. He was great. If we do our job on the field, that 'Jets' chant will continue."

That's a big 'if.' The Jets are 4-7, having lost four of their last five games. In fact, they're 2-4 at home, having endured three blowouts -- losing margins of 34, 21 and 30 points.

"I like Fireman Ed," Ryan said. "If he could play linebacker, I'd use him."

Fireman Ed -- aka Ed Anzalone -- announced Sunday night that he will hang up his helmet because of too many confrontations with other Jets fans.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Ha Ha, Good one...My point is that you are criticizing someone who has decided (due to abuse from others similar to what you have been spouting) to step back.
    He has more balls than probably any Jet fan on earth to put himself out there for the past 2 decades and he did it for all the right reasons. He loves the team and wanted to bring the fans together in his endless support of the team.
    The ironic part is that a selfish fan like yourself criticizes him...Very funny to me, your gall is legendary...
    Dude, your signature is quite creepy.

I agree with the premise but could you possibly find a different image that is not quite so disturbing?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Dude, your signature is quite creepy.

I agree with the premise but could you possibly find a different image that is not quite so disturbing?
    Really? I think its funny...It wouldn't be the end of the world to change it tho...:-)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    This can easily be driven via prompts on the video boards.... may not be the same but not something I am worked up about in the middle of a 4-7 season.
    The chant doesn't work unless someone leads it. In the 80s, the video board would try to start it, but it just doesn't work. You need a certain amount of coercion and instigation to get that thing going.

The chant doesn't *need* Ed to continue - but he was exceptionally good at getting people riled up and energized to belt out the chant. His seat location (proximity to sideline cameras) in Giants Stadium, his intensity and his brothers shoulders -- made him stand out and a natural to lead a stadium wide J-E-T-S chant. People forget, the chant was a section thing. Dueling ends of the upper deck would chant it back and forth. Ed didn't invent the J-E-T-S chant, but he was the first (and only) to lead the entire stadium. A few of those in the late 90s - were absolutely spine tingling.

Ed gets credit for taking the chant where it is today in American sports lore. His participation in game day will not be forgotten and will most certainly be missed.

Cheers to Ed Anzelone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love that this thread is over 420 posts. The team is terrible and the future ain't that bright either. Frankly, the resignation of FE is about 12th on my list of things that bum me out about the Jets right now.

Just another embarrassment log to through on the fire. "Human Jets' mascot small enough to cheer on another man's shoulders resigns."

I get that he is, by most accounts, a very good guy, and is a very passionate fan. Just can't help but feel that it's not a bad thing if his time has passed.

Also, other than in SEA, winning brings a home field advantage, nothing else. Have a good team for a sustained period, win consistently, fans come, fans get loud, other teams hate to play there....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Check your PMs
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not in any glory right now. Any time another Jets fan is hurting its unfortunate as we are a family.

I do not get your vitriol towards me. Ed does not know me. I did not cause Ed to resign.

SAR I
    Oh, I call BS on this (but pardon me if this is cleared up over the next 23 pages). You call a guy out on the board like that and then tell him to check his PM? WTF?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    Exactly, fan noise makes it too hard to hear the PA guys and when the stadium shakes, it makes it so difficult to eat caviar.

Give me a break, its lame fans like you that make the Jets crowd the biggest joke in sports. You cant say its the way the stadium was built, because the Giants fans are very loud.
    Ever go to a Giants game in the new stadium? Same noise as when the Jets play.... The stadium itself sucks for noise retention.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Really? I think its funny...It wouldn't be the end of the world to change it tho...:-)
    JMO. Maybe we can start a poll?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowherd just called Ed the worst kind of fan. He lit into him. He said Ed thinks he's more important than what he is.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Tebow should lead the chant. No one evokes emotional responses - positive or negative - like Tebow. And it's not like he's being used for too much else

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Cowherd just called Ed the worst kind of fan. He lit into him. He said Ed thinks he's more important than what he is.
    Ironic, given that Cowflop is the worst kind of radio talking head. I'd rather listen to yeast fermenting taht that snooze.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Ironic, given that Cowflop is the worst kind of radio talking head. I'd rather listen to yeast fermenting taht that snooze.
    As we all know, opinions are like *******s, everyone has one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't stand Cowherd, such an ahole...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He would know about delusions of grandeur, but from someone who commonly admits to "not being a fan," the big-toothed, googly-eyed bastard should just pipe down and go back to rooting for profits...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowherd was the biggest Sanchez supporter just a few years ago. He's a big market team supporter, so I think he's actually pretty soft on the Jets.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

"I like Fireman Ed," Ryan said. "If he could play linebacker, I'd use him."
    I bet you would, you stupid ****. Just like the rest of your LB corps -- all flash and no substance.

How's Bart Scott doing? Still a little winded from his jog down the field with Edelman the other night?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Barstool Sports re: Fireman Ed

Hey bro guess what? Nobody ****ing cares! There won’t be a grown man sitting on another mans shoulders with his nutsack buried in the back of the guy’s neck while basically doing the YMCA? How will Jets fans ever survive? How will we be able to endure embarrassing home field blow outs without you? Take a hike dude.

My favorite part about this is “I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed.” Take it easy there, Clark Kent. Its not like you show up to the game in a super hero outfit and a cape and now when you attend you’ll just be in your street clothes and it will be any different. Its not like Rex Ryan is out there taking an ax to the Fireman Ed Signal like Commissioner Gordon in The Dark Knight and the city is gonna fall apart without you. You’re a closet Dolphins fan who probably at the very least gets free tickets front row to every home game. I can totally understand wanting to avoid the ******* hecklers and dickhead Jets fans – I can’t stand them when they comment on my blogs, let alone if they were picking fights and ****. But lets not act like you didn’t have a pretty good gig and lets not act like the Jets can’t go 6-10 without some dude in a fireman hat yelling out letters. Spare me the societal critique, Descartes.

PS – I cannot WAIT for Benigno’s rant today.

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random...as-a-jets-fan/
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 11-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.