Thread: Coaching

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaching

I heard someone on WFAN make a good point yesterday...

Regardless of what you think of Rex Ryan as a head coach it is very clear he has not been able to put together a quality coaching staff around him.

This leads to many problems including poor player development, bad in-game play calling, etc, etc...

If you look at other HCs who have, and are doing well you will see that they have quality coaches around them OC, DC, skill position coaches.

Consider the group that Parcells had back in his heyday... also consider how guys like Cowher and Gruden make this a priority before considering a return to the sideline.

Not sure what the root cause is, bad evaluation of talent by Rex (ie. Sparano) or just that better coaches don't want to be on his staff... in either case I don't see Rex improving until he surrounds himself with a quality coaching staff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is much more than that. How about the fact that there is no fear or consequence for poor performance and bad play? Has this HC ever benched or reamed out a player on this team? I do not think Rex has it in him to be a HC because he is the type of guy who needs everyone to love him. A good manger, HC doesn't care who likes or dislikes him, he will do whatever is necessary for the good of the Company, or in this case, team. Not pulling the QB after the other night typifies this problem. How can this guy continue to hold a starting QB job in the NFL after the most embarrassing phopas I have seen in 45 years? How can Rex continue to sit there and tell us Mark gives him the best chance to win? That is not only his stubborness showing, but proves that he has no idea what is going on around him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    It is much more than that. How about the fact that there is no fear or consequence for poor performance and bad play? Has this HC ever benched or reamed out a player on this team? I do not think Rex has it in him to be a HC because he is the type of guy who needs everyone to love him. A good manger, HC doesn't care who likes or dislikes him, he will do whatever is necessary for the good of the Company, or in this case, team. Not pulling the QB after the other night typifies this problem. How can this guy continue to hold a starting QB job in the NFL after the most embarrassing phopas I have seen in 45 years? How can Rex continue to sit there and tell us Mark gives him the best chance to win? That is not only his stubborness showing, but proves that he has no idea what is going on around him.
    They had no back-up QB to put in. Tebow was hurt and incapable of playing.

This is even worse than not benching Sanchez...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    They had no back-up QB to put in. Tebow was hurt and incapable of playing.

This is even worse than not benching Sanchez...
    ...and they dressed Tebow and had McElroy out of uniform.

Don't you think that if they had at least swapped these two decisions,
    that Sanchez would be given a message?

...or does that message crush his psyche and cause face-plants in the a$$ of a lineman?
    (oops...those happen without the message!)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    I heard someone on WFAN make a good point yesterday...

Regardless of what you think of Rex Ryan as a head coach it is very clear he has not been able to put together a quality coaching staff around him.

This leads to many problems including poor player development, bad in-game play calling, etc, etc...

If you look at other HCs who have, and are doing well you will see that they have quality coaches around them OC, DC, skill position coaches.

Consider the group that Parcells had back in his heyday... also consider how guys like Cowher and Gruden make this a priority before considering a return to the sideline.

Not sure what the root cause is, bad evaluation of talent by Rex (ie. Sparano) or just that better coaches don't want to be on his staff... in either case I don't see Rex improving until he surrounds himself with a quality coaching staff.
    yes, I mentioned this elsewhere. Tony Morono was hand-picked by rex which reflects very poorly on him. The pick was widely panned at the time but I (like others) gave him the benefit of the doubt. With the exception of Dunbar who had a good reputation in the league and westhoff who pre-dates rex. The entire rest of the staff are a bunch of nobodies who pretty much owe their employment in the NFL solely to being buddies with rex! (Sanjay Lal is another exception but Jury is still out on him IMO)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    ...and they dressed Tebow and had McElroy out of uniform.

Don't you think that if they had at least swapped these two decisions,
    that Sanchez would be given a message?

...or does that message crush his psyche and cause face-plants in the a$$ of a lineman?
    (oops...those happen without the message!)
    Most likely Ryan was given instructions by Woody that Tebow had to be dressed for the national Thanksgiving night game for ratings. His dispassionate answers to this question seem like he had nothing to do with it. Woody probably told him to 'figure it out' if Mark got hurt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im sorry but you cant like rex and dislike sparano. Cause your going to say, well rex wasnt given any talent to coach. Well neither was sparano.