Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a junior, .........

Veteran

As a junior, .........

he led the Crimson Tide to an undefeated 14–0 season, which included the 2009 SEC Championship and BCS National Championship.

Please give him a chance, that way we know whether we have a good, decent or crap QB and then we can move on. just sayin.. gotta see what the kid has.
    Last edited by J.E.T.Sfan4life; 11-26-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    he led the Crimson Tide to an undefeated 14–0 season, which included the 2009 SEC Championship and BCS National Championship.

Please give a chance, that way we know whether we have a good, decent or crap QB and then we can move on. just sayin.. gotta see what the kid has.
    He'd show up Sanchez, which would be a complete disaster, unlike anything we're experiencing now, because the people will say "Why didn't you start him in week 3?"

Veteran
    WSJ: "Uh...Maybe McElroy Can Play?"
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...986773706.html

The floundering Jets (3-5) may be in need of a quarterback change during this bye week, given how Mark Sanchez has regressed to a career-low 52.9% completion rate while continuing his turnover-prone ways.

While most eyes turn to celebrated backup Tim Tebow, replacing Sanchez with one of the few quarterbacks out there who has been even less accurate hardly seems like a solution. But there is another option on the roster—a quarterback whom the Jets drafted for his accurate passing (over 70% completions as a senior) and game managing (career 39-to-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio) in the white-hot college spotlight at Alabama.

But many rule out third-stringer Greg McElroy (pictured) because he was so lowly regarded as a prospect, going 208th in the 2011 NFL draft. But since 1995, all 12 similarly lowly drafted (or undrafted) quarterbacks with at least 50 starts have outperformed Sanchez in completion rate and passer rating—many by far.

No one is saying the Jets should expect McElroy to turn into one of the best quarterbacks ever (Tom Brady, drafted 199th overall in 2000) or a borderline Hall of Famer (undrafted Kurt Warner). But nine of the dozen were named to at least one Pro Bowl. Seven—Brady, Warner, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck—were awarded multiple times.

None stepped right into a starting job as Sanchez did in 2009 as the fifth overall pick. Garcia had to play in Canada for years. Warner famously first toiled in the Arena Football League. Even Brady needed the Jets to knock starter Drew Bledsoe out of action in 2001.

So it seems like another thing all these passers have in common is their coaches not knowing what they had until they finally were given a chance to start.

—Michael Salfino
    Don't Believe the Hype

How Mark Sanchez compares to lower-rated prospects:

quarterback years draft rd. rate
    Tom Brady 2000- 6th 96.6
    Tony Romo

2004- Undrafted 95.1
    Kurt Warner

1998-2009 Undrafted 93.7
    Jeff Garcia

1999-2011 Undrafted 87.5
    Trent Green

1997-2008 8th 86.0
    Marc Bulger

2002-09 6th 84.4
    Matt Hasselbeck

1999-2012 6th 82.3
    Jake Delhomme 1999-2011 Undrafted 81.3
    Matt Cassel

2005- 7th 81.1
    Jon Kitna

1997-2011 Undrafted 77.4
    Jay Fiedler

1995-2005 Undrafted 77.1
    Ryan Fitzpatrick 2005- 7th 76.2
    Mark Sanchez 2009- 1st 73.2
    Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com

Please give him a chance, that way we know whether we have a good, decent or crap QB and then we can move on. just sayin.. gotta see what the kid has.
    Totally agree....he never lost a game from high school until his senior year.

The kid deserves a chance or trade him.

Trade him? Like teams are willing to give up something for a guy who went in the 7th round in the draft.

And you people who automatically assume that the team doesn't know what they have if the player isn't starting are lost.

Sapp isn't getting serious snaps now because the team is just seeing what they have, they are giving him snaps because they seen he can rush the passer in PRACTICE. Mcelroy gets his chance every day in practice. WHen enough improvement is shown, maybe we'll have him playing. He's already starting off in a hole because his arm isn't as good as Sanchez.

It took me 3 posts until I realized the OP was talking about McElroy......

Next time, mention the guy's name in your post, OP..... Okay?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    will do, I apologize!

He spoke out against the team...specifically Rex's dysfunctional locker room from last year...he will NEVER see the field as long as Rex is coach...btw, just listened to Rex's press conference...this team is so screwed it's not even funny....he is delusional and so in over his head....

It took me 3 posts until I realized the OP was talking about McElroy......

Isn't it obvious?????

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    He spoke out against the team...specifically Rex's dysfunctional locker room from last year...
    that alone shows Greg McElroy has more balls than Sackhez

Veteran
    Start Greg! Can't be worse than Mark or Tim. Almost impossible.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Isn't it obvious?????
    I thought so too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Isn't it obvious?????
    No it wasn't 'cause I don't pay close attention to College Football....Only the NAMES of the players we currently have on our NFL Team.

I'm not much of a College Football watcher, anyway....

It wasn't until BleedGreen's post of the WSJ article that actually mentions Greg's name that I knew who was being discussed.

I swear I thought I was on a quiz show when I read the OP.....

No it wasn't 'cause I don't pay close attention to College Football....Only the NAMES of the players we currently have on our NFL Team.

I'm not much of a College Football watcher, anyway....

It wasn't until BleedGreen's post of the WSJ article that actually mentions Greg's name that I knew who was being discussed.

I swear I thought I was on a quiz show when I read the OP.....
    For future reference, the Jets have Tim Tebow that graduated from Florida and Greg McElroy. McElroy played for Alabama and won two national championships. He's also a rhodes scholar as I recall.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

+1

He won the Rose Bowl, too.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Bilel pOwell can barely get snaps over the human slug and you think king baffoon is going to play mcelroy?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

haven't you heard? he's a horrid QB! And he told some radio station that the Jets had a dysfunctional locker room. He's horrible because he has a weak arm and went in the seventh round

Banned
    As a junior he led the Miami Hurricanes to an undefeated record and a National Championship. He finished his college career with a 35-2 record. And since obviously College statistics automatically transfer over to the NFL please Mike T sign Ken Dorsey to a contract and lets see what he can do!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    As a junior he led the Miami Hurricanes to an undefeated record and a National Championship. He finished his college career with a 35-2 record. And since obviously College statistics automatically transfer over to the NFL please Mike T sign Ken Dorsey to a contract and lets see what he can do!
    Yeah that's hysterical! Only Ken Dorsey isn't a young QB on the Jets roster whose 3rd string to suckchez and Tim freakin Tebow

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

+1

He won the Rose Bowl, too.

SAR I
    I completely agree; however, Sanchez had 4 years and has totally taken a step back (a HUGE disappointing step backwards) as a journey man, so it's time to move on and at least see what's next in the farm before making another QB draft pick decision.