View Poll Results: At the current time, who is the most overrated player in the game?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andrew Luck

1 1.85%
  • Cam Newton

6 11.11%
  • Michael Vick

15 27.78%
  • Troy Polamalu

7 12.96%
  • Matthew Stafford

3 5.56%
  • Ray Lewis

1 1.85%
  • Tony Romo

10 18.52%
  • Mark Fitzpatrick

1 1.85%
  • Other

10 18.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At the current time, who is the most overrated player in the game?

Eli Manning

It is still Vick but Sanchez makes him look like a good QB. That whole team is over rated. Jackson, Maclin, McCoy, Babin, and Aso would all be high on my over rated list. Babin may actually be more over rated then Vick IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I don't know where you got your information from but Williams never came close to losing his starting job. That is just a lie. I live an hour from Buffalo and haven't heard that once on any sports radio show, not even a call in from a fan. It's complete bs. And he really isn't having a bad year at all. Most people thought in Buffalo that he would have 20 sacks this year but they aren't living in reality. Over his career he has averaged over a 16 game season 47 tackles and 10.5 sacks. Before last weeks game he was on pace fro 44 tackles and 9 sacks, after this past weeks game he is on pace for 48 tackles and 12.5 sacks. And that is with offenses always rolling blocking to his side. Hardly a down season and we would absolutely kill for that.
    Highest paid defensive player in the game. There's at least 5-6 DE's I'd take over him without even thinking about it:

JPP
    Ware
    Aldon Smith
    Peppers
    Matthews
    Miller
    Mathis
    Dumervil
    Allen
    Johnson

Williams is overrated by his contract and the fact that he is not a tier A DE. He's good, but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Eli Manning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning...96/careerstats

You mean the QB Savant who owns the two highest quality victories in the NFL this year (blowing out San Fran and Green Bay) and is absolutely impervious to pressure?

Seriously. Eli Manning can be trashed by everybody, but the only QB with more clutch throws/drives to win games on his resume is Brady.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=MannEl00

Clearly overrated.....if anything the guy's underrated. Probably because he chews his tongue for fun.

You'll be watching a game and he'll be down 21 going into the fourth, pump out 4 TD passes in less than 12 minutes, and will go up to a post-game podium and start slurring his rendition of the Teletubbies theme song, which he has had playing on a continuous loop since he was little.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Highest paid defensive player in the game. There's at least 5-6 DE's I'd take over him without even thinking about it:
    JPP
    He had a great year last year, an average year his rookie season. And this year Williams has 2 more sacks then him so far.

Ware
    He's an OLB, not a DE

Aldon Smith
    He's an OLB as well

Peppers
    Averages 40 tackles and 10 sacks per 16 games played. Those numbers are both less then Williams.

Matthews
    He's an OLB

Miller
    He's an OLB

Mathis
    Averages 36 tackles and 10 sacks per 16 games played, both less then Williams.

Dumervil
    Averages 30 tackles and 11 sacks per 16 games played, less tackles then Williams and 1/2 sack more.

Allen
    He is in a league of his own when it comes to DE's

Johnson
    I'm assuming you mean Charles Johnson, he averages 31 tackles and 8 sacks per 16 games played. Both less then Williams.

Williams is overrated by his contract and the fact that he is not a tier A DE. He's good, but not great.
    Peppers deal in 2010- 6 yr $91.5 million, $42 million fully guaranteed.

Williams deal in 2012- 6 yr $96 million, $40 million fully guaranteed

The Bills didn't over pay for Williams, if you look at the contract Jared Allen signed in 2008 (6 yr $73 million, $31 million fully guaranteed) then look at the fact that 2 years later Peppers got $18 million more then Allen and 3 yrs later Williams only got $5 million more then Peppers with basically the same guaranteed money you can see that the Bills didn't overpay.

Peppers had 8 sacks his first year of his contract, Williams has 8.5 sacks through the first 11 games in the first year of his contract. I'm pretty sure most people would agree that even though people were quick to rush to judge Williams as a bust after his first 3 games that he has turned it around and played like a top 5 DE in this league.

Here are the tier A DE's in the league:

Jared Allen
    Trent Cole
    Mario Williams
    Elvis Dumervil
    John Abraham
    Julius Peppers
    Last edited by Choon328; 11-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Ray Lewis
    Peyton Manning
    Michael Vick
    Sanchez
    Romo
    Rivers
    Mario Williams
    Ed Reed
    Fitzpatrick
    Alex Smith
    Revis ( jets havent won jackshi* with Revis playin)
    Tebow
    Chris Johnson

Thats Just a few and i know alot more..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning...96/careerstats

You mean the QB Savant who owns the two highest quality victories in the NFL this year (blowing out San Fran and Green Bay) and is absolutely impervious to pressure?

Seriously. Eli Manning can be trashed by everybody, but the only QB with more clutch throws/drives to win games on his resume is Brady.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=MannEl00

Clearly overrated.....if anything the guy's underrated. Probably because he chews his tongue for fun.

You'll be watching a game and he'll be down 21 going into the fourth, pump out 4 TD passes in less than 12 minutes, and will go up to a post-game podium and start slurring his rendition of the Teletubbies theme song, which he has had playing on a continuous loop since he was little.
    This post is why some of us think Eli is overrated. He's never won a playoff game where the opponent scored over 20 points. Let's not act like he's winning shootouts. The Giants playoff wins have all generally followed the same formula: the Giants D, usually the pass rush, completely snuffs out the opponent's typically very strong passing game that they generally rely upon heavily. Placed in an unfamiliar situation, the other team's offense flounders all game, often turning it over a bunch. The Giants run the ball very well and pass it efficiently. They win a relatively low scoring game. Yet Eli generally gets all the credit for being "clutch."

Eli's regular season numbers are not the stuff of a HoF player. He's almost never been considered a top 5 player at his position basically throughout his entire career. In many early years, he was considered in the bottom half of QBs. Despite this, people see him as a borderline lock for the HoF.

Can you say overrated? I can.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 11-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.

All League
    Joe Flacco.....easy answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    Best answer. Flacco is extremely mediocre and yet calls himself elite. Dumps off to his RB on a 4th and 29 with the game on the line. He was like, "I didn't just want to throw the ball up for grabs, I felt giving it to Ray was our best chance," or something like that. GTFO. You are terrible.

Nnamdi Asomugha

From what I have seen of him this year... hes close to being done.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...delphia-eagles
    Last edited by MadCroatian; 11-27-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Best answer. Flacco is extremely mediocre and yet calls himself elite. Dumps off to his RB on a 4th and 29 with the game on the line. He was like, "I didn't just want to throw the ball up for grabs, I felt giving it to Ray was our best chance," or something like that. GTFO. You are terrible.
    I think most fans don't overrate Flacco at all. He is an average QB playing on a seriously loaded team. He is good enough to have great games, but is very mediocre in a lot of them. Good arm and good height though, you can probably win a SB with him (just as long as he doesn't have to carry the team more than the occasional stretch)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Philip Rivers is by far the most overrated QB in the NFL.

All Pro
    Rivers, without question.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I still think any DE or OLB getting paid more than Ware is overrated.

Anyway,

Flacco is by far the answer. He is not good.

And from what I'm reading on these boards, Alex Smith deserves mention.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This post is why some of us think Eli is overrated. He's never won a playoff game where the opponent scored over 20 points. Let's not act like he's winning shootouts. The Giants playoff wins have all generally followed the same formula: the Giants D, usually the pass rush, completely snuffs out the opponent's typically very strong passing game that they generally rely upon heavily. Placed in an unfamiliar situation, the other team's offense flounders all game, often turning it over a bunch. The Giants run the ball very well and pass it efficiently. They win a relatively low scoring game. Yet Eli generally gets all the credit for being "clutch."

Eli's regular season numbers are not the stuff of a HoF player. He's almost never been considered a top 5 player at his position basically throughout his entire career. In many early years, he was considered in the bottom half of QBs. Despite this, people see him as a borderline lock for the HoF.

Can you say overrated? I can.

I would if he wasn't amazing in the regular season last year and is on pace to better that this year. And if Joe Namath is a HOF'er for being as clutch as you can be, then how could you say Eli is overrated?

His stats already dwarf Namath's.

Tony Romo for me. I don't care how many plays he makes, he's a brain fart waiting to happen.

Semantically speaking, the DC's of many of the teams where you are saying "He's an OLB" do both 3-4 and 4-3 looks. Smith, Matthews, and Ware will play on the line in 4-3 alignments, so will Miller. JPP will play standing up at times, too. So will Osi and Kiwanuka (part of why the Giants D-line is so good is that these guys have the size and speed to shift not just to OLB or DE, but to DT (Tuck, Kiwanuka) which is why I'd love our next GM to come from a system that drafts like that.)

Pretty sure JJ Watt is going to be DPOY and is the best DE/OLB in the NFL. Which is the thing here:

If Williams is so good, then how, losing both Williams and Ryans, two Pro Bowlers, did Houston's defense improve after they got hurt?

I'll give you Wade, but Houston knew that Williams wasn't worth what he was going to demand and his impact, even if he has decent sack numbers, haven't really meant much to a Bills Defense that is one of the worst in the NFL.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 11-28-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Philip Rivers is by far the most overrated QB in the NFL.
    All Rivers ever showed is that with an great TE and WR (Gates in his prime and Jackson) he has the capability of lighting it up.

Now with the talent depleted on offense, he's simply above average.

Hall Of Fame
    Hard to say. I will break it down by position. Subject to change, just off the top of my head.

QB - Vick
    OL - Brick
    WR - Desean Jackson
    TE - Finley
    RB - Forte/Johnson - tie
    DT - Suh
    DE - Allen
    OLB - Matthews
    ILB - Harris (not sure how rest of the league views him but he is overrated/overpaid)
    CB - Aso
    S - Wilson

I would if he wasn't amazing in the regular season last year and is on pace to better that this year. And if Joe Namath is a HOF'er for being as clutch as you can be, then how could you say Eli is overrated?

His stats already dwarf Namath's.
    Namath was a way different era where passing numbers for QBs looked far different.

Do your homework dude, look up Eli's season stats. They are considerably closer to Sanchez's numbers this season than that of the elite QBs in the league. Yes, he had a great game Sunday night on national TV for a big audience. But his 3 prior games he also had 0 TDs and 4 INTs. Do those not count just because they were regional 1 pm games?

The guy is a very good QB and certainly has had his share of clutch moments. But we're in an era of very good QB play though and there's just a number of QBs who consistently outperform Eli. So he's slightly overrated I think