Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should The Jets Fire Rex Ryan? Both Sides Of The Debate

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    who??

We all loved Tanny. Does the guy deserve a pass for one bad year? Just asking, dont explode.
    He's had more than one bad year. The Tebow trade is a fireable offense just by itself even if the idiot Owner forced him to do it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    No decent GM is going to come on board and inheret Rex...Rex dug his own grave....if Tanny goes then Rex has to go too.
    ^
    |
    |
    |

I agree with this (even though in another thread I said the Jets woes were not Rex' fault).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I wouldnt say that. He intervied for the ravens and dolphins job and didnt get either of them.
    Parcells is on record as liking Rex and considered him, but taking Sparano due to familiarity.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Rex was the next great coordinator not too long ago.

I would to see this thing play out over the next five games, then make a constructive opinion.
    Few thoughts on a good thread...

Rex was a great coordinator, but his style of coaching (no dicipline, playing veterans) was a "perfect storm" for him in Baltimore because ray lewis handled motivation, he had one of the best pass rushers of the past 10 years in suggs, and a HOF safety in reed.

If you want to make an argument for why rex should stay, just ask yourself "What does Rex does well?"....the answer is not a lot.

He stays too loyal to underachieving players. Greene, Bart, Eric Smith, etc. To stick with bart and greene in particular shows no feel whatsoever for what the team needed on offense or defense

He did not adapt his coaching style to fit the new rule changes in the NFL. Its a passing league, with more space on the field, yet he has stuck with the plodding 3-4 defense and it has failed.

He is terrible with timeouts and game/roster management (How did tebow dress last week) and has not improved one bit

His locker room is a joke with allowing players to say what they want. Anonymous quotes, backstabbing, even the strength coach tripped a player on the field....just an undiciplined circus.

He has not hired a good staff. Schotty was ineffective here and the whole league knew his offense, but he stayed too long. Cavanaugh has not help make sanchez better yet he is still here. Sparano is overmatched as an OC and that was Rex's choice. He even had a former DB in mark carrier as our dline coach for 2 years to "Help make Mark's career more well rounded for future opportunities"

Not sure what else the guy needs to do wrong....its been 4 years, and i dont care what his record is. Those were excellent teams in 2009 and 2019 and barely made the playoffs. I dont care who your QB is, if you run the ball like we did and have that defense you should get to 10 wins easily. You shouldnt be standing on the sideline and watch your QB throw 5 picks in a game when you run for 300+ yards...you should ACT.

At the end of the day, Rex simply doesnt ACT...no accountability, no benchings, no firings, no changes. Hes everyones best friend, and that does not work!

Woody HAS to realize he is the head of a billion dollar + company, in the biggest market in the world. It is one of the prime franchises in sports, and he better start treating it as such, or else get out of the way and sell it to somebody who sees the value in it and would maximize it. My hope would be he sells, preferably to Trump or Cuban, guys who know how to run a business and don't tolerate incompetence. But since that probably isn't gonna happen any time soon, I would love to see Woody hire Polian, let him clean house, and try like hell to talk Tony Dungy out of retirement. I know this is probably unrealistic, but it is the holiday season, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    It's funny because I have been defending Sparano on here & getting killed for it.
    On one hand all the fans agree that Tanny & Rex have ignored the offense, correct?

Everyone here agrees that after losing Holmes for the season our WRs are the worst group in the league, correct?

So, with all that lets look at the RBs. Most fans here believe that Shonn Greene would not even be a starter on 30 other teams in this league, correct?

Plus we all know that McKnight is a terrible blocker & has problems holding onto the ball,
    Correct?

Keller missed 5 games & Cumberland also missed a few, correct?

Our best receiver is a slot guy that should be a 3rd reciever on this team in Kerley, correct?

Bilal Powell has actually been a nice surprise & going forward would probably make a nice change of pace, 3rd down type of back, correct?

Many times this year, it has been a jail break on our QB where sometimes he hasn't even been able to get to his 3rd step in his drop before he was under pressure, correct?

It's common knowledge that Sanchez ranks 30th out of 32 QBs, has the most redzone picks in the NFL & probably leads the league in fumbles, passes thrown 10 yards over players heads, passes directly in their facemask, passes 2 inches from the turf, passes to far past the sideline, well you get my point.

Knowing all this, how is it really possible to evaluate Sparano?

We were in position in New England to win the game if Hill didn't have stone hands.
    We were even in the Houston game & needed someone, ANYONE to make a freaking play on offence, plays were there but Sanchez MISSED THEM ALL!

Killing Sparano & calling him a moron is ridiculous when you consider the roster he's working with on offence. If he can get this band of vagabonds to win their next 5, he should be in freaking canton!
    I agree 100%

People make knee jerk arguments as if a coach or QB or anyone can perform in a vacuum......

I really see the game analysis by fans as having deteriorated as a direct result of FF and the belief that you can just plug players and coaches in like lego pieces...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Woody HAS to realize he is the head of a billion dollar + company, in the biggest market in the world. It is one of the prime franchises in sports, and he better start treating it as such, or else get out of the way and sell it to somebody who sees the value in it and would maximize it. My hope would be he sells, preferably to Trump or Cuban, guys who know how to run a business and don't tolerate incompetence. But since that probably isn't gonna happen any time soon, I would love to see Woody hire Polian, let him clean house, and try like hell to talk Tony Dungy out of retirement. I know this is probably unrealistic, but it is the holiday season, right?
    Tony Dungy is Herm Edwards with the benefit of Peyton Manning.

The bottom line with Rex as a head coach & why the Jets need to make a change is the old saying that a blind squirrel can even find a nut sometimes.

He has not beat a club with a winning record in 13 attempts!
    To be 0-13 vs teams with winning records is a fireable offense.

That record has everything to do about coaching & planning & game preparation.
    Other than blowouts you could go back & look at all of the close games in those 13 losses & you will be able to surmise that coaching lost some of those games.

Just the loss in New England alone will show you problems on both offence & defensive decisions that led to yet another loss vs a good team.

On offence there was the perfect opportunity to use Tebow on 3rd & 1, with the thought being it was a 2 down scenario.
    On defense, he just sat back twice & let Brady march down the field like a hot knife through butter!
    Where was the BOLD Rex when we needed him?
    Going into that game I was telling all my Pats fan friends the Jets had nothing to lose playing on the road & needed to take a couple chances on 4th down, maybe throw a CB blitz at the right moment or just let it rip on a 3rd down to try & get off the field in a big moment.

We got nothing? Complete conservatism?
    What is the point of that? Any damn coach can play that way!

Comes down to who you could get to replace him. If it's another first time NFL HC then I say you stick with Rex....

But if you could get Jon Gruden or Cowher I would be all for moving on from Rex.

I also think you would have to give GM control to those to get them on-board so you would kill two birds with one stone.

(still have to find a QB though - even the all powerful BB wasn't a good HC coach without a quality QB)

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Tony Dungy is Herm Edwards with the benefit of Peyton Manning.
    You're nuts. Dungy Won, repeat Won, a Super Bowl. He is one of the best, classiest guys in the world, and would be a tremendous face for this organization, not the current buffoon we have now. He would be such an uptick over Rex, it's not funny. By your logic, Rex is Kotite with the benefit of Mark Sanchez.

Rex has his problems, but I now think that he should be given another year with a new GM who knows football. Someone who, hopefully, Rex respects and who can steer Rex in the right direction as far as OC and QB coach, and who can start to create depth on the roster while ridding the team of it's well past their prime LB'ers.

There have been so many valid points made on this this thread. From top to bottom. It's just so painfully obvious that this entire Rex and Tanny thing is not working.
    Unless this entire mess from GM to ball boy is not purged, the Jets will never have any consistant success. The Ryan D schemes do not work, look at Rob in Dallas. They have better talent and still are loosing too. The mess that our cap guru aka GM has this team in will take years to clean up, so hold on for a long ugly ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

It's going to be funny when the Jets win their next 3 games and are back in the playoff hunt. It's a long shot to make it, but I think they get back to 7-7 and we'll see what happens from there.
    Quoting this for the public record so you can't go back and change it when you sober up.

The Qb play is actually worse under Sparano than it was before and everyone killed and blamed Shotty for Sanchez's game.

The biggest thing that Sparano should take hear for? The totally ineffective wildcat. It was actually a good move to bring Tebow here because the Jets were going to run a lot of wildcat and actually expand on those plays and formations. Tebow was the best candidate to actually run that part of the offense because though he is not accurate and can't throw mid or short he actually can throw deep.

Instead we get a horrible abomination of wildcat implementation that was run too infrequently and seemingly always the very same play.

He was supposed to make our running game and wildcat part of the offense very effective and has made it worse. The guy was a totally dog hire in the 1st place.

Rex needs a GM who can also be a mentor. I think Rex needs to respect their opinion and be comfortable asking for advice. I think Rex could be good but he's made enough mistakes now to say he probably should have had more mentoring before taking on a high profile gig like the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Few thoughts on a good thread...

Rex was a great coordinator, but his style of coaching (no dicipline, playing veterans) was a "perfect storm" for him in Baltimore because ray lewis handled motivation, he had one of the best pass rushers of the past 10 years in suggs, and a HOF safety in reed.

If you want to make an argument for why rex should stay, just ask yourself "What does Rex does well?"....the answer is not a lot.

He stays too loyal to underachieving players. Greene, Bart, Eric Smith, etc. To stick with bart and greene in particular shows no feel whatsoever for what the team needed on offense or defense

He did not adapt his coaching style to fit the new rule changes in the NFL. Its a passing league, with more space on the field, yet he has stuck with the plodding 3-4 defense and it has failed.

He is terrible with timeouts and game/roster management (How did tebow dress last week) and has not improved one bit

His locker room is a joke with allowing players to say what they want. Anonymous quotes, backstabbing, even the strength coach tripped a player on the field....just an undiciplined circus.

He has not hired a good staff. Schotty was ineffective here and the whole league knew his offense, but he stayed too long. Cavanaugh has not help make sanchez better yet he is still here. Sparano is overmatched as an OC and that was Rex's choice. He even had a former DB in mark carrier as our dline coach for 2 years to "Help make Mark's career more well rounded for future opportunities"

Not sure what else the guy needs to do wrong....its been 4 years, and i dont care what his record is. Those were excellent teams in 2009 and 2019 and barely made the playoffs. I dont care who your QB is, if you run the ball like we did and have that defense you should get to 10 wins easily. You shouldnt be standing on the sideline and watch your QB throw 5 picks in a game when you run for 300+ yards...you should ACT.

At the end of the day, Rex simply doesnt ACT...no accountability, no benchings, no firings, no changes. Hes everyones best friend, and that does not work!
    Hard to argue with these points. I'm willing to give him another year. If his D, however, collapses down the stretch and we start losing to teams like the Cards and the Jags, I'm willing to revisit that thought. We know the O is bad, but I don't think Rex can afford to have his D give up on him.

It's going to be funny when the Jets win their next 3 games and are back in the playoff hunt. It's a long shot to make it, but I think they get back to 7-7 and we'll see what happens from there.
    I dont see them being 6 and 10 at the best. Maybe 5 and 11.

It'll be even funnier when you tell us that beating any of our awful next 3 opponents somehow makes this a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Hard to argue with these points. I'm willing to give him another year. If his D, however, collapses down the stretch and we start losing to teams like the Cards and the Jags, I'm willing to revisit that thought. We know the O is bad, but I don't think Rex can afford to have his D give up on him.
    One of the biggest issues I see is that Rex has absolutely no clue how to manage in-game situations.

Look around the league, there has NEVER been more parity then there is now. There is not nearly as much talent disparity then there was even a few years ago, as the spread offense has changed the game substantially, both on offense and defense.

I also think that "motivation" is overrated in this league. Every team comes out flat time to time. SAR likes to whine and moan and blame rex for our poor first half in Pittsburgh....Rex wasnt the one missing a huge tackle on mendenhall, keeping a drive alive with a Def Holding penalty, or fumbling on a sack. These are pro players and grown men, they are motivated. The only way to "motivate" guys is to make them fear for their job....thats it. Every team/player will have good games or bad games.

That being said, execution is a different issue. A good HC today needs to keep his players accountable by letting them know that each one of them is expendable. But he also has to be accountable that when the whistle blows, and these games come down to 3-5 plays per game, the coach will make the right moves with timeouts, personnel, challenges, and situational calls.

Unfortunately for us, Rex cant do any of the things I listed above. Being the players friend is wrong. Having no offensive clue is wrong. Not managing timeouts is bad.

He is just not a 2013 NFL HC. If it was 1985 and he could be mike dikta running around without a headset, challenges, hurryup offenses or multiple personnel groupings, he would be fine....he could even run his antiquated 3-4 defense. Even david harris would probably be an all-pro