Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should The Jets Fire Rex Ryan? Both Sides Of The Debate

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    It'll be even funnier when you tell us that beating any of our awful next 3 opponents somehow makes this a great team.
    That's not what anyone is saying. The next 5 games are vs teams that our defense can handle.
    We couldn't handle the 49ers & The Pats. Those were the flat out REALLY BAD defensive games.
    The Fins was a special teams abomination.
    The Jets shut down Luck & Bradford & they are way better QBs than Jets will see over the next 5 games.
    Cards, Jags, Titans, Chargers don't have the pass/run threat that the teams the Jets struggle with have.
    Cards have the best defense, but have a rookie QB bad Oline & Cro will be on Fitz.
    Jags have a rookie, no MJD, bad Oline & no pass rush (which will help Mark tremendously)
    Titans are a mess but I could foresee trouble in this game if they let Chris Johsnon get to the edges of their defense. (Still see the Jets winning cause their defense sucks)
    Chargers at home- 1:00 game, really bad Oline, they all know Turner is a GONER!
    Bills on road- Jets could easily lose this game if Bills get early lead.

This chowd thinks it would be a mistake to fire Ryan. He has flashes of brilliance and is a good nuts and bolts defensive mind. Having to sit through the playoff loss to the Jets was very painful for this Pats ticket holder, but that talent level of that Jets team was far superior to the current Jets team. Still the two AFCC games may have given Jet fans unreasonable expectations. These two games certainly gave the front office unreasonable expectations because they have managed the roster as though they were only one or two players away from a Super Bowl. Really dumb.

If Rex leaves this team, he will get a second chance with another team and use his learnings to do a better job. Belichek's Cleveland experience has made him a better coach now.

Woody should fire Tannenbaum, hire a top grade personnel manager, and give Ryan five more years, or the type of ownership support that Tomlin Belichek get.

If he does stick around though, Ryan needs to own the offense the way Tomlin and BB do. If they hear the play call on the headset, they own the play. This stuff about leaving things to the OC's for blame is for the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I agree that things aren't going well, but is coaching really the major problem? It is, for the most part, the players. Not nearly enough playmakers for an NFL team (especially offense). Anyone who knows football can tell you that.

Rex has shown when he had better talent he could get the team places. Rex's defenses are always great, though not so much this year. Run D is 30, but pass D can still play. But 2011 #5, 2010 #3 and 2009 #1. If you think Rex just forgot how to coach since last season, well think again.

If the Jets give up on Rex after only 4 seasons and a plus-.500 winning percentage, they will be looking for their 5th head coach of the Woody Era. That ain't good at all. Look at the teams with success -- Giants, Steelers, Pats, Packers, even the Eagles (until this season, but it's obvious after that long Reid and Philly need to split). Those owners were patient with their coaches and it paid off. Do those teams go the playoffs every year? No. And they don't make knee jerk reactions and fire everyone when they don't. Would any of the coaches of those teams take a team with this lack of talent and have them in the playoffs? Not a chance.

Was Gary Kubiak a good coach at the beginning? The Texans owner saw something despite the struggles (worse struggles than the Jets, btw). Then they started to improve the roster and BAM! One of the best teams in the league.

Why can't the Jets re-tool the roster but stick with Rex? 4 years is not enough to prove yourself -- especially for a team with this little talent.

The Jets don't need to get rid of Rex just yet. They need stability in the coaching staff, but someone who has a great football mind making personnel decisions.
    But that's the thing-You can not possibly expect to get a high level great football mind to seriously consider this job if he's being told he must keep Rex. Period. GM's want to build their team from the top down, and bottom up. They want their guys in place who share their vision. Very very few people in the football world share Rex's strong one sided defensive approach. That's probably why he was passed over on so many jobs, along with his personality.

If we are hiring a GM you tell the GM it's up to him to either keep or can Rex. Period. Anything less than that is undermining the GM right from the start.

Practice Squad
    Personally I say wait 1 more year. There are going to be too many openings after this season (SD, Philly, etc). The team is going nowhere, another year won't hurt. Take next season to get out of CAP hell and stockpile picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmat321 View Post
    Personally I say wait 1 more year. There are going to be too many openings after this season (SD, Philly, etc). The team is going nowhere, another year won't hurt. Take next season to get out of CAP hell and stockpile picks.
    This idea makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    This idea makes too much sense.
    No it doesn't. One more year means Tanny and Rex are still making decisions. Decisions to quickly patch and band-aid things at the expense of the future. We can't afford this. Next year is the beginning of the rebuild regardless if we decide to fill all voids (namely QB) or wait it out another year for better prospects. But the vision begins this coming offseason, and that vision begins with a new GM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmat321 View Post
    I agree, but what if Tanny gets desperate to save his job and does some crazy back loaded deals trying to quick fix

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    That's not what anyone is saying. The next 5 games are vs teams that our defense can handle.
    We couldn't handle the 49ers & The Pats. Those were the flat out REALLY BAD defensive games.
    The Fins was a special teams abomination.
    The Jets shut down Luck & Bradford & they are way better QBs than Jets will see over the next 5 games.
    Cards, Jags, Titans, Chargers don't have the pass/run threat that the teams the Jets struggle with have.
    Cards have the best defense, but have a rookie QB bad Oline & Cro will be on Fitz.
    Jags have a rookie, no MJD, bad Oline & no pass rush (which will help Mark tremendously)
    Titans are a mess but I could foresee trouble in this game if they let Chris Johsnon get to the edges of their defense. (Still see the Jets winning cause their defense sucks)
    Chargers at home- 1:00 game, really bad Oline, they all know Turner is a GONER!
    Bills on road- Jets could easily lose this game if Bills get early lead.
    So cool, we go 8-8, everyone comes back in 2013, draft pick at #17, and Tanny takes best available 3-4 DE. "Can't wait!"

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Few thoughts on a good thread...

Rex was a great coordinator, but his style of coaching (no dicipline, playing veterans) was a "perfect storm" for him in Baltimore because ray lewis handled motivation, he had one of the best pass rushers of the past 10 years in suggs, and a HOF safety in reed.

If you want to make an argument for why rex should stay, just ask yourself "What does Rex does well?"....the answer is not a lot.

He stays too loyal to underachieving players. Greene, Bart, Eric Smith, etc. To stick with bart and greene in particular shows no feel whatsoever for what the team needed on offense or defense

He did not adapt his coaching style to fit the new rule changes in the NFL. Its a passing league, with more space on the field, yet he has stuck with the plodding 3-4 defense and it has failed.

He is terrible with timeouts and game/roster management (How did tebow dress last week) and has not improved one bit

His locker room is a joke with allowing players to say what they want. Anonymous quotes, backstabbing, even the strength coach tripped a player on the field....just an undiciplined circus.

He has not hired a good staff. Schotty was ineffective here and the whole league knew his offense, but he stayed too long. Cavanaugh has not help make sanchez better yet he is still here. Sparano is overmatched as an OC and that was Rex's choice. He even had a former DB in mark carrier as our dline coach for 2 years to "Help make Mark's career more well rounded for future opportunities"

Not sure what else the guy needs to do wrong....its been 4 years, and i dont care what his record is. Those were excellent teams in 2009 and 2019 and barely made the playoffs. I dont care who your QB is, if you run the ball like we did and have that defense you should get to 10 wins easily. You shouldnt be standing on the sideline and watch your QB throw 5 picks in a game when you run for 300+ yards...you should ACT.

At the end of the day, Rex simply doesnt ACT...no accountability, no benchings, no firings, no changes. Hes everyones best friend, and that does not work!
    I concur; Rex’s future really needs to be decided based upon what he’s likely to do as a head coach as much as what he’s done. Is he a good head coach now? Is he evolving as a head coach? What have we seen since he was hired until now to show he’s evolving/ improving as a head coach?

Based upon what I’ve seen so far, the data does support the fact that Rex has significant limitations as a head coach and has not been evolving / improving.

The number one job of a head coach is to have his team prepared and ready to play well on game day. Show me a coach who is a brilliant schemer and I’ll show you a good coordinator. Show me a coach who is a strong judge of talent, a good motivator and disciplinarian such that his teams are prepared and focused, overachieve for their talent level and minimize mental mistakes and I’ll show you a good head coach.

Which of those describes Rex the best? Maybe the former but certainly not the latter. Mental mistakes and issues with focus and discipline have been a consistent problem with the Jets, and seem to be on the increase. When your talent is low, a head coach needs to minimize the mistakes and maximize the mental and emotional output of his players while his coordinators work on outscheming the opponent.

If the Jets were a team that made few mistakes and were just physically overwhelmed by opponents, I’d be inclined to give Rex the benefit of the doubt. But many Jets losses come from avoidable mistakes. When they’ve had better talent, they could overcome those. When they haven’t, we’ve seen what happens.

So Rex the head coach in team preparation does not grade well. And there has been no trend toward improvement over the four years he’s been with the Jets. He may be a bit better in clock management and challenges.

In talent judgment and development, Rex grades low as well. Tannenbaum gets killed for not putting enough talent on the jets. He should, as GM he is ultimately responsible for that aspect. But I’ve never gotten the sense that Tannenbaum is primary the talent picker; I tend to believe Rex has the largest input of anyone. Rex’s confidence in his ability to turn any player, no matter how raw, into a strong contributor is something I tend to see in many Jets personnel moves. However, looking at how well Jets players have developed under Rex on both sides of the ball, but particularly on the offense, shows that confidence is largely misplaced. So as a judge and developer of talent, Rex comes up short.

So what does he do well as a head coach? His players like him, but that’s not a very good criteria. He tries to take the attention/ heat off the players by being outspoken. I admire this, but it often backfires. He’s known for being a good defensive schemer, but that just makes him a good DC.

And that’s likely what Rex ultimately is; a good DC. This may be his ceiling as a coach. Nothing wrong with that; look at how many great DCs failed as HCs: Buddy Ryan, Wade Phillips, Dick Lebeau.

For Rex to succeed (unless he evolves to become a real strong head coach), he’d need a good GM providing him lots of superior talent; a very good Asst HC/OC to handle the offense and put up 24 pts per game; on the field leadership to take care of the focus issues. Basically, a strong support network to make up for his head coaching deficiencies and allow him to craft and run a man-eating defense and make in game decisions about going on 4th down, timeouts, challenges, clock management, etc.

In a way Rex is to head coaching what Sanchez is to quarterbacking; you can see there’s talent there but it just never shows up consistently and only in the right confluence of circumstances will it bear fruit. Not what you want out of either role; is one “coachable”? Neither?

When a change is made I hope that a good GM is brought in and handed the keys; he should make all the decisions, without being told what to keep or dispose of. I don’t think any good GM would take the job under more limited conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing in Buffalo View Post
    fire please
    Welcome Back Bing... or maybe I was the one who was gone? Anyway, I've gotta say, I missed you. I was worried you may have been the poor SOB who drowned in a a half inch of water after being kicked out of the Buff/Fins game.

that's just so much bs. rex's game philosophy is sound. the jets nearly beat the patsies the first game when they played an effective ground and pound game. what rex hasn't been able to do is keep the team focused on game day and he really needs to start making players accountable. one of the problems with this and just about all jets teams is their lack of on field leadership. most times this is from the qb but it can also come from defensive players or rb's or even linemen. they need someone who refuses to lose and knows how to get the rest of the players inspired. right now their on field leadership comes from the coaches and that just doesn't work very well.

so, imo what the jets need is an objective assessment from real football people. maybe woody can hire polian, cower, and gruden to take a good hard look at the team and watch it for the last 6 games. at the end of the season they give woody a list of who should stay and who should go. let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Right now as the Jets continue their slide down into the basement of the AFC East (and FRANKLY the NFL) and into the joke book of every pundit with ASSpirations of making the Jets the BUTT of their jokes, it seems ********* and anyone else with an opinion on the Jets are either at odds or confused as to who is to blame and who if anyone needs to be fired after the season. I think the majority of ********* undoubtedly believes that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum can no longer escape blame for the failures of this team and has to be relieved of his General Manager duties as soon as possible. I for one certainly agree with that opinion and you probably won’t find too many people rushing to defend Tannenbaum as his FAILURESS are evident and glaring at this point. The difference in opinions regarding the blame within ********* primarily exist when discussing what faults, if any, does HC Rex Ryan play in the Jets FAILURES and if he deserves to be fired. Let’s quickly examine both sides of the argument here and determine which viewpoint, if any, holds more weight/validity than the other to determine if the Jets are better off simply parting pays with Rex Ryan or giving him another off season to try to fix what is wrong with the Jets.

Why Rex deserves one more season:
    - Rex currently boasts a 36–28 overall record since becoming a head coach which includes 4-2 in the playoffs and 2 trips to the AFC Championship Game in consecutive seasons (2009/2010). That instantly gives him the best playoff record for any head coach in the history of the New York Jets.

- In 2009 and 2010, the Jets were ranked first and fourth overall in the league in rushing and since Ryan arrived, the Jets defenses have never been ranked lower than sixth overall in the NFL. That’s saying a lot considering the season before Rex arrived, the Jets defense was ranked 29th overall, a vast improvement for the Jets defense to say the least.
    - Rex is working with arguably one of the worst QB situations in the league right now and that’s putting it nicely. Mark Sanchez has struggled to find any kind of positive consistency for this team this season, and some even argue that he has actually been counter-productive, not only for this Jets offense but for the entire Jets team. What makes matters worse is the fact that apparently Sanchez’s backup in Tim Tebow, you know; the QB that the Jets traded a 4th rounder for? has done nothing to gain the trust in the Jets coaching staff, hence the reluctance to even entertain the thought of benching Sanchez for Tebow. That is a problem and that would seemingly make it difficult for any coach to succeed offensively, not just Rex Ryan.

- It’s widely believed in ********* that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum hasn’t done much to help Rex personnel wise and that’s a legit argument to say the least. It’s also an argument that speaks for itself as most Rex supporters honestly feels as if Mike Tannenbaum has gradually done Rex Ryan IN with incompetent personnel decisions over the past year and ½.
    Why Rex deserves to be fired:
    2009: 9-7 record. Defeated the Bengals and Chargers in the postseason but lost to the Colts in the AFC Championship
    2010: 11-5 record. Defeated the Colts and Patriots in the postseason but lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.
    2011: 8-8 record. No playoffs
    2012: 4-7 record thus far and no light at the end of the tunnel.
    Simply put; the Jets are moving in the wrong direction LITERALLY. There’s no way anyone can make a legitimate argument that they have seen valid consistent improvement from this Jets team in 3 ½ seasons under Ryan.

- Rex’s philosophy has FAILED. Rex came onto the job boasting about how he would implement the Ground and Pound philosophy, how the Jets would “pound” their opponent and play great defense. Needless to say; this philosophy has been anything BUT successful and that’s putting it mildly to be honest. Rex’s outdated offensive philosophy has not only been a failure but it’s partly responsible for the inadequate development Mark Sanchez has received since being drafted by the Jets in 2009.

- Jets defense has ranked no lower than 6th overall since becoming the head coach but does it even feel like it? Rex Ryan was hired on the notion that he was a “defensive genius” and he DOES deserve credit for turning the Jets defense around in one season. As I stated before, the defensive turnaround from 2008 to 2009 is to be commended but the defense since that time has not made the necessary strides that were expected and in fact the defense has actually regressed. Rex inability to find a pass rusher has been the biggest knock on him thus far and has hurt this Jets defense tremendously considering they play in the same division as the best QB in the NFL. Simply put; in a league in which passing the football effectively and rushing the passer consistently is key, the Jets have FAILED in BOTH of those areas consistently under Rex.

- Mark Sanchez’s development falls directly on the shoulders of Rex Ryan and anyone believing anything to the contrary isn’t being honest with themselves. Say what you want about Mark Sanchez at this point as he’s warrants the criticism he receives but I don’t think its even debatable at this point that Mark Sanchez has received inadequate and counterproductive development since being drafted by the Jets. From day one Rex put the handcuffs on Mark Sanchez and tried to coach this “Ground and Pound” philosophy into Mark Sanchez and when Sanchez’s rookie mistakes started showing up, Rex went from handcuffs to total LOCKDOWN on Sanchez, implementing Operation Color Coded Wrist Band, a colorful piece of “weaponry” that is only to be used when engaging in the “Play NOT to Lose” warfare. That type of counterproductive development falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach, NO ONE ELSE. Rex should’ve seen what we ALL saw in that the offensive coaching around Sanchez just wasn’t cutting it and there needed to be a change but instead of doing so, Rex allowed Brian Schottenheimer to take the fall and he was done with it. Rex should’ve fired Matt Cavanaugh and hired a QB coach to come to fix Sanchez’s problems as it was painfully obvious that Cavanaugh+Schotty = FAILURE.

last page
    http://thejetpress.com/2012/11/27/sh...-the-debate/3/

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You put a lot of time into this thread. You did a nice job.

But I beg to differ with some things:

1) The bolded part in your post claims that Rex Ryan hasn't put up any valid consistent improvement since becoming HC. That's wrong. Rex, as you stated, but failed to account for, instantly improved the Jets defense when he came here. He also showed improvement with the team overall as in 2010 their regular season record was 11-5 as compared to their 2009 record which was 9-7. That IS improvement.

2) There's only so much one person can do in regards to an underperforming QB. Rex Ryan gave Mark Sanchez the best of everything when he was first drafted. He gave him everything a QB could possibly want and more. I believe it aided Mark Sanchez in the early going. It helped him quite a bit and many of us were fooled by those seasons from Mark Sanchez. The fact is, he never got any better even having all of those weapons. So if many fans were fooled into thinking Mark Sanchez was going to become something great, then it is shame on YOU, certainly not shame on Rex.

The fact is, since a lot of those weapons were taken away from Sanchez, he had the handcuffs taken off, and the CS NEEDED him to make strides. Well, quite frankly after giving him running games and defenses that were among the very best in the league for 2 seasons, he SHOULD have been able to come through for the team after some of those weapons were taken away. You EXPECT your QB to improve after that period.

Therefore, I think it's a little misguided to imply anything like, Rex didn't do enough for Mark Sanchez. That's a crock of sh*t. He simply didn't have the ability to begin with. Rex is NOT to blame for Mark Sanchez becoming a sh*tty QB. MARK SANCHEZ is to blame for becoming a sh*tty QB.
    1) I agree with you here.

2) He gave him the best of everything, EXCEPT coaching. That's the WHOLE POINT of the argument. The OC was (and still is) subpar, same for the QB coach. The coaching philosophy doesn't suit the strengths of the QB (yes he does have some strengths). Furthermore, taking away what made him be somewhat successful is a recipe for counter-production, how can you not see that? The "handcuffs" were never taken off, they only had links added to the chain.

I know you don't like Sanchez at all, but at least recognize his culpability goes beyond simply his inability to progress. And saying he never had the ability to begin with is just silly. There's plenty of ability there, it just isn't coming out and part of that blame falls squarely on coaching, not just the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Qb play is actually worse under Sparano than it was before and everyone killed and blamed Shotty for Sanchez's game.

The biggest thing that Sparano should take hear for? The totally ineffective wildcat. It was actually a good move to bring Tebow here because the Jets were going to run a lot of wildcat and actually expand on those plays and formations. Tebow was the best candidate to actually run that part of the offense because though he is not accurate and can't throw mid or short he actually can throw deep.

Instead we get a horrible abomination of wildcat implementation that was run too infrequently and seemingly always the very same play.

He was supposed to make our running game and wildcat part of the offense very effective and has made it worse. The guy was a totally dog hire in the 1st place.
    +1

Jets need to forget about this Wildcat nonsense and throw it out the window. So overrated even when it was supposedly so "effective" with Brad Smith and Schitty. The Brad Smith Wildcat did not get us to back2back AFCG appearances - Defense, Running Game and Sanchez got us there. Brad Smith only looked good anytime we played a lousy run defense he was ineffective whenever we faced a real defense.

Just because Sparano sucks and is a conservative dud doesn't make Schitty any better same way Mangini being a dud didn't make Herm Edwards any better. It's all crap, just different flavor.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 11-28-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Only Coaches I would Consider Firing Rex For:

1. Cowher (fuggedaboutit)

2. Gruden (wants a College gig or the Eagles job)

3. Dungy (might be interested but I think he stays on tv)

Other than that I say stick with Rex for 1 more season. Nothing better out there.

Veteran

Good Perspective on the Fire Rex Ryan debate ...

Here is how the Jets can get back on course

By Greg A. Bedard

The entire nation saw the latest incarnation of the Jets hitting rock bottom (it’s a long and inglorious history) in their humiliating 49-19 loss to the Patriots on Thanksgiving night.

The Jets were bumbling, comical, and embarrassing. And to think, just two years ago they had been in back-to-back AFC Championship games. Now they’re worse than a punch line.

That’s where the Jets are, at 4-7 and all but eliminated from the playoff race.

But how can they emerge from the darkness?

The first thing is that owner Woody Johnson needs to start taking advice from the right people — football people — outside the organization. One of the Jets’ great flaws recently has been their propensity for groupthink, whether it be about the talent on the team, what offensive schemes the team is capable of in certain games (45-3 loss to the Patriots a prime example), and where the weaknesses are in the organization.

Earlier this month, Johnson convened a meeting with all the top decision-makers in the organization, from team president Neil Glat to general manager Mike Tannenbaum to coach Rex Ryan and his coordinators, to figure out a short-term answer for the team’s woes.

Don’t get the same group together after the season. They all have reasons not to be honest with their answers. Johnson needs an unbiased accounting of how bad things are, and how best to rebuild. Johnson needs to find a former general manager, be it Carl Peterson, Bill Polian, or Bill Parcells, to bounce ideas off. Glat, who has been involved solely in the business aspect of the NFL, is not the guy.

Johnson should keep in mind that Robert Kraft once made bad decisions (Pete Carroll and Bobby Grier) early in his ownership, but is now a shining example of how one move (by the name of Bill Belichick) can change the perception and direction of a franchise.

Outside counsel should not be needed to tell Johnson that there has to be at least some change. The Jets can’t return with the team and front office intact. The fans won’t and shouldn’t stand for it.

Johnson has to first decide whether he believes in Ryan as a coach. Everything else is based off that, because this is not going to be a quick fix. It could be two or three years before the Jets, whose salary cap and quarterback situations are beyond screwed up, are Super Bowl contenders again.

Johnson has to decide now whether he can ride that out with Ryan.

He should. Ryan is not the problem, at least not now. Is he still learning how to be a head coach and making mistakes along the way? Absolutely. Might he be better the second time around elsewhere, like Belichick? Probably. But Ryan shouldn’t be fired. He’s a darn good coach.

If Ryan is the guy, that means Tannenbaum will have to be served up as the change. He has been with the Jets since 1997, was named general manager in 2006, and somehow survived when Eric Mangini was fired after 2008.

Tannenbaum is not a football guy, he’s a cap guy who makes decisions off the input from his personnel and coaching departments. And those have not been good enough. And considering the Jets will go into next year with around $10 million left in cap space to fill out 17 spots on the roster, according to nyjetscap.com, that cap mess really puts the blame on Tannenbaum.

His departure would give the organization a chance to sell change to the fans.

If Ryan is the guy, that means Johnson has to hire a general manager who is basically handpicked by Ryan. Johnson can’t bring in a strong general manager because he may not want to keep Ryan, and that would prolong the turmoil.

Perhaps Ryan finally can be the one to persuade Ravens general manager-in-waiting Eric DeCosta, who is from Taunton, to leave the nest. The Ravens have paid DeCosta well to keep him in-house for when Ozzie Newsome retires, but Ryan can be persuasive. Moving to New Jersey would not be a huge change for DeCosta.

If DeCosta stays in Baltimore, perhaps Ryan could bring in someone else from Baltimore, where he coached from 1999-2008, be it former Browns general manager George Kokinis, pro personnel director Vincent Newsome, or perhaps vice president of football administration Pat Moriarty, who is similar to Tannenbaum but has more of a football background.

With a general manager capable of having strong input and a fresh eye alongside Ryan, the two can get to work on solving the problems with the cap, the lack of a franchise quarterback, the direction of the offense, and the reworking of a defense that has become increasingly old and slow.

That new general manager would have to tell Ryan that he needs to make another change at offensive coordinator, no matter how bad he would feel about firing Tony Sparano after one season.

The offense isn’t good enough. Start anew with a coordinator who can groom the next starting quarterback to spearhead a balanced attack. You can’t ground-and-pound to a Super Bowl title; you must make critical plays in the air.

A new general manager, offensive coordinator, and quarterback.

That’s the kind of change that can make any Jets fans believe again — and it’s the right way to go for an organization that has lost its way again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

Here is how the Jets can get back on course

By Greg A. Bedard

Johnson has to first decide whether he believes in Ryan as a coach. Everything else is based off that, because this is not going to be a quick fix. It could be two or three years before the Jets, whose salary cap and quarterback situations are beyond screwed up, are Super Bowl contenders again.

Johnson has to decide now whether he can ride that out with Ryan.

He should. Ryan is not the problem, at least not now. Is he still learning how to be a head coach and making mistakes along the way? Absolutely. Might he be better the second time around elsewhere, like Belichick? Probably. But Ryan shouldn’t be fired. He’s a darn good coach.

If Ryan is the guy, that means Tannenbaum will have to be served up as the change. He has been with the Jets since 1997, was named general manager in 2006, and somehow survived when Eric Mangini was fired after 2008.

Tannenbaum is not a football guy, he’s a cap guy who makes decisions off the input from his personnel and coaching departments. And those have not been good enough. And considering the Jets will go into next year with around $10 million left in cap space to fill out 17 spots on the roster, according to nyjetscap.com, that cap mess really puts the blame on Tannenbaum.

His departure would give the organization a chance to sell change to the fans.

If Ryan is the guy, that means Johnson has to hire a general manager who is basically handpicked by Ryan. Johnson can’t bring in a strong general manager because he may not want to keep Ryan, and that would prolong the turmoil.
    Here's the problem. You start at the GM. The GM runs the show, picks the coach, and picks the players. You can't first decide whether you will keep your coach and then move on to the GM.

And then to make matters worse he has Ryan pick the GM? So who works for who then? Does this guy have any concept as top Rex's poor track record for identifying prospects and his penchant for holding onto favorites well past their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Only Coaches I would Consider Firing Rex For:

1. Cowher (fuggedaboutit)

2. Gruden (wants a College gig or the Eagles job)

3. Dungy (might be interested but I think he stays on tv)

Other than that I say stick with Rex for 1 more season. Nothing better out there.
    Only Gruden was able to win SB without an absolute stud at QB.

Here is my prediction.

2013... New GM decides to give Rex another season. And we get more of the same. i.e. 7-9 to 9-7 season, beating bad teams and losing some ugly games.

2014.... With no decent HC candidates and a weak roster the GM gives Rex another season. The Jets completely fall apart. Rex is fired mid-season. GM fired after the season.

2015... Jets roundly criticized for not having GM or HC in place for the draft but having the top pick in draft they select Johnny Manziel, who has entered the draft after his junior year. Two days after the draft, Belichick resigns as coach of the Pats and accepts position as HC of Jets with a GM of his choosing. Pats accuse Jets of tampering. Jets fined draft choices and $500,000.

2016 and beyond After a stellar rookie campaign Johnny football goes on to be the winning-est QB in the history of the NFL. Sadly, even though he enjoys a long injury free 18 season career with the Jets, none of those wins were in the SB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    But that's the thing-You can not possibly expect to get a high level great football mind to seriously consider this job if he's being told he must keep Rex. Period. GM's want to build their team from the top down, and bottom up. They want their guys in place who share their vision. Very very few people in the football world share Rex's strong one sided defensive approach. That's probably why he was passed over on so many jobs, along with his personality.

If we are hiring a GM you tell the GM it's up to him to either keep or can Rex. Period. Anything less than that is undermining the GM right from the start.

+1

If you bring in a new GM, you can tell him it's OK if he wants to keep Rex, but he is not required to do so. Forcing him to keep Rex is a bad idea.

Fire him

Fire Wrecks Lyin'. The more he wrecks the Jets,the more he lies to the fans. No one in New York would buy the Brooklyn Bridge if someone offered it to us, but we are supposed to buy the Jets as a team that is supposed to go to the SB. end this circus. The players are laughing to the bank with their guaranteed money and the owner wants to punish us cause Obama got re-elected and he doubled his ownership value of the team by giving us garbage, lies and cheap headlines. Enuf is enuf